Home
Pursuant to the 2,000 yard pistol shot thread I was looking for that TV Western episode where the good guy carves a tree branch into a stock for his pistol and takes the bad guy out at rifle range.

Dunno why it came back with this Rifleman episode but here ya go. Lucas gets dragged behind a horse and has his rifle stolen, brings out a ruthless side not often seen.

Cool Bible reference too (couldn’t do that today).

The episode was directed by Sam Peckinpah hisself, who eleven years later bring us The Wild Bunch.

The Rifleman killed more men than smallpox.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Rifleman killed more men than smallpox.

And Cecil B. DeMille!

I love the Rifleman. My fav episode is the one with Mark Twain.
I wonder how many people modified their lever guns to fire on closing.
I was off 2 1/2 months a few years ago. I watched every episode. It was then I noticed Chuck was left handed. In the opening credits he operates the rifle right handed. He played for the Celtics and the Dodgers also.
Before Chuck Norris there was Chuck Connors
Never [bleep] with a Chuck
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I had a toy model 92 when I was a kid that had a little flip up piece on the lever that would trip the trigger when you closed the lever. I think it was made by Mattel. I wore it out pretty quick.

I had a toy model 92 when I was a kid that had a little flip up piece on the lever that would trip the trigger when you closed the lever. I think it was made by Mattel. I wore it out pretty quick.

I might have had the same one, had plastic bullets you put green-n-stick’em caps on.
I could be broke down at our farm property, 1/2 bar of cell service...call my old man, need some tools.....he would wait till Rifleman or Big valley or paladin goes off before leaving the house. 😃🤣🤪

Watched the episode. Saw him cock the rifle by spinning it. It didn’t fire on closing when he did so.
I used to have a miniature souvenir bat w/ Chuck Connors' signature, I think he was w/ the Portland Beavers minor league team.

mike r
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Johnny Crawford has a band.

Back in the early 60's Mattel made a Winchester Rifle cap gun with that trigger mechanism.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
My all time favorite western series.
Connors was also the first player in the NBA to break a backboard.
Who got all the dead gunslingers guns that Lucas killed?
I always hoped to see 3-400 colts hanging in the barn!
He put a colt Saa on/in an old board with a twig for a sight once too!
Great show!
Pursuant to the 2,000 yard pistol shot thread I was looking for that TV Western episode where the good guy carves a tree branch into a stock for his pistol and takes the bad guy out at rifle range.

Dunno why it came back with this Rifleman episode but here ya go. Lucas gets dragged behind a horse and has his rifle stolen, brings out a ruthless side not often seen.

The episode was directed by Sam Peckinpah hisself, who eleven years later bring us The Wild Bunch.

FWIW . . . That was Season 01 Episode 02

Here is Season 01 Episode 01

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Back in the early 60's Mattel made a Winchester Rifle cap gun with that trigger mechanism.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

As I recall, that's like the one I had.

Originally Posted by 06hunter59
My all time favorite western series.
Connors was also the first player in the NBA to break a backboard.
Who got all the dead gunslingers guns that Lucas killed?
I always hoped to see 3-400 colts hanging in the barn!
Great show!

That episode was just on like last week! I remembered it from when I was a kid. LOL
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

I might have had the same one, had plastic bullets you put green-n-stick’em caps on.

I had one too and am pretty sure it was made by Mattel. I don't remember if I had the firing bullets, though. A kid down the street had one also, and I remember he got the idea that if he rubbed the stock down with a stick of butter, it would preserve it and make it look better. I thought it was a good idea too, and did the same. That was over 60 years ago and I can't recall whether the stock was wood or plastic (but I'm thinking plastic)...four-year olds can be pretty impressionable.

I liked The Rifleman, but I was a fan of "Wanted Dead or Alive" long before I ever saw Chuck Connors on TV. Steve McQueen played Josh Randall, a bounty hunter who carried a badass little cut down lever action. I liked the way the brim of his hat was curled up, and I came up with the notion that if I gathered up enough green grass and rolled it up in the brim of my hat, it would stay rolled up in that shape. So that's what I did...and when I walked in the house with that hat on with all that grass trolled up in the brim, Mom ran my little three-year old ass out the door for no good reason. That took place in Alpine, Texas while my [then] step-father was finishing up a degree at Sul Ross State.

Interesting time of my life, it was. I learned about jets breaking the sound barrier (late 50s), but I also learned that searching for the thing that hit the ground with such a tremendous thud, and therefore just had to be nearby, was a pointless effort. I looked all day for this broken sound barrier, confident that I would recognize it when I saw it. Never did find the damned thing.
Originally Posted by ring3

Watched the episode. Saw him cock the rifle by spinning it. It didn’t fire on closing when he did so.

Watch it again, when the evil ranch hand picks it up and woks the action it goes off, the ranch hatch remarks on this then fires some more rounds just by working the action.
Johnny Crawford was one of the original Mouseketeers
We didnt have a TV in 58.Had an uncle with one.
Same here. It had cartridges with a spring in the case and the bullets had a projection on the base that would lock them into the case. The impact of the hammer on the base of the case was enough to dislodge the bullet and the spring would propel it 10-15’. You could put a “stickum” cap on the case and fire the cap too but you could fire the bullet with, or without the cap. They were the same as those used in the second generation “Fanner 50
We had some pretty realistic toy guns available to us in those days. Lots of baby boomers running around the neighborhood all the time playing cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers and army with real-looking guns of all kinds. 😀 It’s a wonder some of the little biddies around the neighborhood didn’t call the cops on us.

On top of that I learned some stalking skills hunting sparrows, etc. with my trusty BB gun and as far as I know no one ever even called my parents about it. I swear that after a while all the birds knew that when they heqrd the back door open, they’d better vamoose.😮
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Great show!

That episode was just on like last week! I remembered it from when I was a kid. LOL.

That’s the episode I was trying to find 🙂

I was gonna post it on the 2,000 and pistol shot thread.

Anyhow, “The Rifleman” was also on the telly in far off England back in the 60’s. The Winchesters me and my brother got for Christmas would make a ricochet sound when you pulled the trigger 😎

None of my friends had them, but they didn’t have American dads either. We also got pocket knives at an early age, still have the scars to prove it 🙂
My avatar has been old Chuck for years. My favorite show.

Awesome

BEST top 2 TV Series by far

Starts every episode with 12 shots before the bad guy hits the ground.....at least that's how I interpret it.

Teaches his boy Bible lessons all the time and raises him right. How many times I say at the end, "That'll preach!"

Best wholesome family entertainment.
Usually a great script, acting, direction that rivals good movies.....

It had a set screw or bolt through the trigger guard. He could turn it in to fire it upon closing the lever, or back it out for normal firing.
There were like 3-4 different 92s used duringthe tenure of the show. Its reported even a Spanish Knock off the El Tigre was used.
Originally Posted by 21
My avatar has been old Chuck for years. My favorite show.

🤠 👍
Wikipedia has an interesting write up about the show.
Supposedly Lucas shot 120 villains!
Set in the 1880s and Lucas uses an 1892.....hmmmmm
Many many guest appearances by stars.
Agnes Morehead
Sammy Davis Jr
Buddy Hackett
Adam West
Lee Van Cleef
Jack Elam
Dennis Hopper
And many many more!

I was really disappointed when I found out that North Fork was a fake town. I wanted to visit it!
Wikipedia has an interesting write up about the show.
Supposedly Lucas shot 120 villains!
Set in the 1880s and Lucas uses an 1892.....hmmmmm
Many many guest appearances by stars.
Agnes Morehead
Sammy Davis Jr
Buddy Hackett
Adam West
Lee Van Cleef
Jack Elam
Dennis Hopper
And many many more!

I was really disappointed when I found out that North Fork was a fake town. I wanted to visit it!
I loved Jack Elam. You never knew if he was looking at you or something else.

Lee Van Cleef also....one of my favorite LVC movies was The Man who Shot Liberty Valence
Originally Posted by 06hunter59

It had a set screw or bolt through the trigger guard. He could turn it in to fire it upon closing the lever, or back it out for normal firing.
There were like 3-4 different 92s used duringthe tenure of the show. Its reported even a Spanish Knock off the El Tigre was used.

That explains it, thanks.
Originally Posted by AZmark
I loved Jack Elam. You never knew if he was looking at you or something else.

Lee Van Cleef also....one of my favorite LVC movies was The Man who Shot Liberty Valence

My favorite part of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is you can watch the movie with your eyes closed and you'll know who every actor is by their voice alone. They all have such distinguished voices!
Chuck's other side....

https://flashbak.com/how-the-east-was-won-when-leonid-brezhnev-met-chuck-connors-427736/
© 24hourcampfire