Home
Posted By: shaman Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Dang! I just got off the phone with the gunsmith. I'd had my Ruger Model 44 out last weekend doing a final sight-in for the upcoming season. The rifle locked up and I couldn't get the bolt open. Long story short: The smith tells me the cast aluminum trigger housing has broken off a lip and it's terminal.

Damn! This was a rifle I bought out of my best friend's estate. Bob was a serious Ruger collector.

Posted By: High_Noon Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Bad news indeed. There's nothing the 'smith can do?
Posted By: lngrng Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
I would think a REAL gunsmith could make a new part.
When I was working for a living, I was a Cabinetmaker. Now that I'm retired, I am an amateur metal worker and classic car builder, and have made many parts that are unavailable for classic cars....items that current manufacturers do not find the time spent and the cost of such to bother with.

If interested, PM me and I can provide photos and a description.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/226960
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
I would scour the used gun parts world looking for one first. Then I would consider the above suggestion to have one fabricated if it isn't a super complicated part. you might even be able to weld or braze the aluminum parts back together.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by shaman
The smith tells me the cast aluminum trigger housing has broken off a lip and it's terminal.

Terminal for that trigger guard, maybe.

It's just a part. Parts can be replaced.

I'd get a new trigger guard and take it to a different smith for installation. I don't have too much faith in the one you are using. wink
Posted By: deflave Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
LOL
Posted By: slumlord Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Give ya 50 bucks for it
Posted By: shaman Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Y'all are giving me hope.

Especially Slummy and 'Flave. They're such helpful critters-- always with that certain extra something that let you know they care.

Yeah, I've had good luck with this 'smith. I'm almost as sorry to see him stumble on this as I am about the rifle. Good smiths have been hard to find in these parts.

I've heard that there's a smith that specializes in Model 44's out there-- I think back East (?)
I've been looking around the net since you made your post and the reason that no replacement parts are out there is because they all break.
That is kind of what the 'smith said.
Here's one,.....don't know if it fits your model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Carbine-44-Trigger-Guard-Assembly-Original-Good-Shape-Complete-Deerstalker/383741876907?hash=item5958cc5aab:g:99sAAOSw8vtfcNiA
Thanks, Bristoe.

hat might do the trick. I'll get it back from the 'smith in a couple of days and start digging in.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20

It might be a good idea to confirm if the currently available trigger guard assemblies are for the original Ruger 44 carbine or the later released Ruger 44 Deerfield carbine because as I recall they are completely different designs and share few if any parts.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The smith tells me the cast aluminum trigger housing has broken off a lip and it's terminal.

Terminal for that trigger guard, maybe.

It's just a part. Parts can be replaced.

I'd get a new trigger guard and take it to a different smith for installation. I don't have too much faith in the one you are using. wink

A "trigger housing" is more than just a trigger guard.
It probably could be repaired though
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Weld it up and file it down.

No need to have some weird shamanic mustard dance just yet.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
If you need a part made let me know. Been doing this since 1979.
Posted By: EdM Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Jim Wisner used to sell Ruger 44 parts. That said, a good TIG guy may be the answer.
Posted By: shaman Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
I'm starting to have some optimism.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

How did you know about mustard dances?
That's something that isn't talked about much.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Have one made if you can't get it tig welded and machined. Machining is also my hobby! You would be surprised, what can be made with a mill, lathe and basic machine shop tooling!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Take a few tranquilizers before you get a quote to get that trigger housing machined from scratch.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Quick look shows 3 versions of trigger housing w the first version the one that breaks. Appears that using a 2nd version in a 1st version gun requires some modification.

Should be a known fix in some circles.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Take a few tranquilizers before you get a quote to get that trigger housing machined from scratch.

I agree, the complete trigger housing , could be challenging and expensive, to build from scratch! I also believe it could probably be repaired. Being a journeyman machinest, I am sure you have repaired many things some would discard!
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by Jim1611
If you need a part made let me know. Been doing this since 1979.
Thanks all.

BTW: if you're interested, here's a pic of the piece in question.

[Linked Image from d1zzd228d7bvdx.cloudfront.net]

The problem is the little nib in the upper left corner of the object. It's sheered off.

From what I gather there are ways of mending it, but most guys who go this route find it breaks again in as little as 40 rounds. This is one of the reasons Ruger stopped making it. I had run 100 rounds of sub-MAX hunting ammo through it when mine failed. Before that, it had sat in my buddy's safe for 40 years.
That looks like a newer style housing, beefed up and no lip like the prev type.
Originally Posted by hookeye
That looks like a newer style housing, beefed up and no lip like the prev type.

It may be. I just found this online. I actually haven't seen the damage yet. I'm due to stop out at the 'smiths later in the week.
Dude has pics on this thread.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/44-magnum-carbine-trigger-guard-modification.125514/
My dad has a minty 66 fingergroove so Im thinking i better snag a newer style for down the road
This may be closer to what I'm dealing with

[Linked Image from cfnparts.com]
Originally Posted by hookeye

Paydirt!

Here's what Ed Coles said in that thread:

Good news, Fix achieved. I went to Williams Gun Sight in Davison Michigan, talked to their gunsmith, showed him the old and new parts and explained my idea on how to fix it, mill the mating area of the receiver to accept the new trigger guard. 4 weeks later and more machining time than he originally thought and I have a gun that's better than new and ready for my next generation of deer hunters. So, if anyone has a broken gen 1 trigger guard and is as lucky as I was in finding a second generation part, find the right gunsmith and you're almost home free. Thank you Williams Gun Sight!!!

This may be the ticket:

https://williamsgunsight.com/

Somebody pass the mustard! I'm going to have a happy dance!

Posted By: shaman Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
The smith sent me a pick of the problem
[Linked Image]

. . . and there are new cracks showing themselves. It's toast.

I'm beginning to think wall hanger-- if I can't find another early-model assembly
Posted By: joken2 Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20

Don't know if you've already checked it out yet but this place lists early model trigger guard assemblies for all three variations but all three are shown as currently out of stock. They do offer a "Notify me when in stock" option though.

https://cfnparts.com/Ruger%2044%20Carbine%20Parts-425
Thanks. Yes, I already had a notify going on that item.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
I think it *could* be fixed by milling the damaged area off very neatly and replacing it with a steel piece that matches the original contour attached with small dowels and flat head screws. You would probably have to mill it back about an inch or so to give you enough area to attach the fasteners without weakening the existing part too much.

I'd give it a try if I still had a machine shop at my disposal.

Somebody out there has probably repaired one in a similar fashion.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've been looking around the net since you made your post and the reason that no replacement parts are out there is because they all break.

Sounds like a job for someone who has metalworking skills.......
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
Assemble as is. Fill voids with JB Weld. Never take it apart again, clean and lubricate in place.
Try Jack First Gun Parts if you haven’t already looked. They stock a lot of old and hard to find parts.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
I'm starting to have some optimism.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

How did you know about mustard dances?
That's something that isn't talked about much.

Shaman, good luck with finding a fix.

As for Conrad..................He's Eskimo and knows about things shamanic. I think it's genetic maybe.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Try Jack First Gun Parts if you haven’t already looked. They stock a lot of old and hard to find parts.

Checked. Nuttin showin'. Thanks anyway.
Posted By: g5m Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
These folks sometimes have unusual stuff:

http://texasgunparts.com/contact/contact.htm
Posted By: hookeye Re: Requiem for a Model 44 - 10/01/20
Somebody ought to do a plastic replacement like they did w the 1022. Dunno how touch printed stuff is.

Id get the upgraded housing and have williams machine receiver to fit.

Im no machinist but worked w a shop many times and its IMHO fixable. Either mod old part for beefier new style front or get a new style housing. Either way the receiver will need modified.

Its just a matter of cost.

Somebody thats done it before can do repeats quicker.
Competent new guy? Proly take a few hrs at 100 bucks an hr
So yeah, new guard stripped 100. Disassemble and machine receiver. Looking at 300 and up to fix.
Originally Posted by g5m
These folks sometimes have unusual stuff:

http://texasgunparts.com/contact/contact.htm

Nada. Thanks though.
My dads 66 is a fingergroove and mint so would be worth the fix if it took a chit.

However, i know a good machinist.
Hell if my bud had his mill in my garage id do it myself.
Take forever but itd be cheap lol
Note: just because a guy is a T&D dude doesnt mean id hire em for such a job.

Some of them are rather limited in eng and problem solving skills.

However, i know a couple locally that are top notch.
And they aint cheap.

Id sure give Williams a call.

Maybe theyre like Ahlmans.....have expertise in specific fixes ( Ahlmans doing 742 to 760 conversions )
Hell maybe Ahlmans knows how to fix the .44s
© 24hourcampfire