Home
Posted By: MosesTucker Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
I’ve killed a lot of good Whitetail bucks. Only one or two legitimate monster trophies but a lot of 120 class bucks.

I’ve been on one archery elk hunt DIY on public land and got to draw my bow on a 330 class but couldn’t get the shot off. Still an incredible experience. So I’ve been blessed with a good hunting career.

That said, this year I will be hunting with a rifle on a general public land tag out west. My first mule deer hunt. I’m wondering what a realistic expectation or self-imposed minimum should be. I’m fine letting Small Bucks walk but not sure what I should be OK shooting. This may be a stupid question but I thought I’d bounce it off of you guys anyway
What state/zone.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What state/zone.

I’ll be around Salmon Idaho. It is a general tag so I’ve got some flexibility and I will be truck camping. I’m cool walking a lot if I need to and can bivy out. I’ve only got five days so just plan on walking and sitting and glassing and trying to get on a buck.

Posted By: centershot Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Anything bigger than a 2 point. You may even wish you'd had shot one of them before you are done. There are so many hunters all over Idaho anymore that finding a truly big buck in a general hunt is beyond difficult. The deer get the heck shot out of them with near unbelievable hunting pressure. If you see a 3x4 or similar in the 16"-20" wide range (3 yr old, horns ~ wide as ears) you will be doing good. There are a few of the 4 and 5 year olds around but they know what is up and it takes snow or the rut to get them out of the high country. Neither of those are likely to happen in general rifle season Oct 10-24. Hate to lay it out like that and wish it were different, but that has not been the case in the last 10 years. Good luck, maybe you will be 'the guy' to stumble onto a giant.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Whichever deer you find that makes you think, "This is going to make for a memorable hunt."
Originally Posted by centershot
Anything bigger than a 2 point. You may even wish you'd had shot one of them before you are done. There are so many hunters all over Idaho anymore that finding a truly big buck in a general hunt is beyond difficult. The deer get the heck shot out of them with near unbelievable hunting pressure. If you see a 3x4 or similar in the 16"-20" wide range (3 yr old, horns ~ wide as ears) you will be doing good. There are a few of the 4 and 5 year olds around but they know what is up and it takes snow or the rut to get them out of the high country. Neither of those are likely to happen in general rifle season Oct 10-24. Hate to lay it out like that and wish it were different, but that has not been the case in the last 10 years. Good luck, maybe you will be 'the guy' to stumble onto a giant.

Thanks for that explanation of what to expect. I really appreciate it and would rather have the straight facts than for someone to be unrealistic. It will be nice to see some beautiful country and if I can get on a good three-point or four point and I will consider myself double blessed!
Originally Posted by horse1
Whichever deer you find that makes you think, "This is going to make for a memorable hunt."

I like that advice. I think it’s easy to get too caught up in chasing trophies. At least for me I have to be careful that I don’t forget to have a good time regardless, and make memories along the way!
Posted By: Ringman Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
I think it was Jack O'Connor who said don't pass up on the first day what you would kill on the last day.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by horse1

You might look at the area north and east of Leadore .Closed FS roads roads lead into some good country. Find places that don't attract road hunters and don't pass on an opportunity at a mature buck. Treat yourself to dinner and drinks in the bar at The Shady Nook in Salmon.

mike r
Posted By: centershot Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

Thanks for that explanation of what to expect. I really appreciate it and would rather have the straight facts than for someone to be unrealistic. It will be nice to see some beautiful country and if I can get on a good three-point or four point and I will consider myself double blessed!

I think you are on the right track. It is an amazing place. Steep and rocky - you will earn whatever you get and it will definitely leave an impression. Don't forget your fishing pole.
Thanks Mike and Centershot. Good input
Shoot whatever makes you happy within the legal boundaries, ain’t nobody gonna laugh at you for shootin’ a dink. 😉

PS...have a great hunt 👍
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20

P I C S

or it didn't happen.......

OP

have you met 'Flave yet ?
Originally Posted by tikkanut

P I C S

or it didn't happen.......

Haha fair enough

OP

No I haven’t. Still pretty new to the forum. Came over here on Big Sky’s recommendation. I know him from Rokslide. So far I’m loving it.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Have a great trip and shoot a buck that makes you happy. Remember to look around and enjoy the country you're in.

Take some pictures and let us see them when you get back!

-Jake
Posted By: Morewood Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/15/20
Some of the best venison I've ever had came from a sagebrush 4x4 muley that hailed from northern Colorado.
IMHO:
Enjoy the opportunity to hunt where Bob Hagel's spirit roams. Might be worth visiting the Salmon Cemetery before you start your hunt..

OP

No I haven’t. Still pretty new to the forum. Came over here on Big Sky’s recommendation. I know him from Rokslide. So far I’m loving it.

I'll send him over

he always welcomes the new bees
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20

Planning a trip to Salmon next summer

any dinner invites ?
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20

Pretty much the situation, but I'll add that that is tough ass hunting most everywhere in central ID, up into the panhandle & Selway.

A typical "decent" buck will be a 4x4 and around even with the ears, which is usually around 20"-22", depending on the deer................not a great deer, just typical "decent". If you find that, you probably should take it.

Just my view of the world, but unless you just want meat, I wouldn't shoot one smaller, but that may well be all you find.

MM

OP

I'll send him over

Great I look forward to it
Posted By: atse Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
I grew up up the river, and will be hunting all next week myself. If you are back away from people a ways and can stay out and glass early and late you may find a good buck. I think 160 is realistic if you do. I pack back in a ways and just stay where I hunt. It's a little uncomfortable, but often productive. Good luck.
Originally Posted by atse
I grew up up the river, and will be hunting all next week myself. If you are back away from people a ways and can stay out and glass early and late you may find a good buck. I think 160 is realistic if you do. I pack back in a ways and just stay where I hunt. It's a little uncomfortable, but often productive. Good luck.

I will do this. I am comfortable being uncomfortable 😬. Especially if it gets me the least bit of an advantage. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Idaho is not the best deer hunting state imo. And there is steep and then there's Idaho steep. 2 different things. Hopefully you have some mountain goat lungs and legs to get you where you need to be. Good luck and enjoy some beautiful country.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Idaho for sure is stupidly crowded with out of staters, but it was that way 20+ years ago and the deer are still there. I remember in the 90's seeing hundreds of pickup lights headed up the mountain roads on opening morning in the southern part of the state. It looked like an army invading. Not too sure about the Salmon area though. Regardless, I wouldn't let the nay sayers influence your thinking that anything bigger than a forked horn is rare to find.

You'll be at a disadvantage not knowing the area you plan to hunt, but big deer are still killed every year there on general tags.
I know two people who consistently kill respectable 160" mule deer there (sometimes 2 a year) on general season/public land hunts. They've got the advantage of having hunted their spots for several years though, and they also usually scout pretty heavily before the hunt, which it sounds like you don't have going for you.

The biggest factor I've noticed with mule deer newcomers is that they think they're in good enough shape mentally and physically to do what they have to do....which more often than not ends up not being the case. Many also erroneously think high tech gear makes up for those deficiencies. The two hunters mentioned above would make a lot of folks on these boards (who kill a lot less) laugh at the shït gear they use. You may or may not fit that mold.....I don't know you from Adam, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Posted By: ribka Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
What state/zone.

I’ll be around Salmon Idaho. It is a general tag so I’ve got some flexibility and I will be truck camping. I’m cool walking a lot if I need to and can bivy out. I’ve only got five days so just plan on walking and sitting and glassing and trying to get on a buck.

2 by 2 if you're lucky in that unit
Posted By: atse Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by ribka
What state/zone.

2 by 2 if you're lucky in that unit

You need to get off the road more. There are some good deer around.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
My good buddy moved to the area. He can get you on some good wolf shooting.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Best of luck.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Historically, most of the big deer killed in ID have come from the SE part of the state.

Or in some of the special draw, late seasons, like Swan Valley.

Just sayin'.

MM
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My good buddy moved to the area. He can get you on some good wolf shooting.

Now that sounds cool. I’d love that. I do have a tag.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
You need to decide what class buck you want to kill and not settle for anything less. It might happen on the first day or might never happen.
Posted By: pointer Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Idaho for sure is stupidly crowded with out of staters, but it was that way 20+ years ago and the deer are still there. I remember in the 90's seeing hundreds of pickup lights headed up the mountain roads on opening morning in the southern part of the state. It looked like an army invading. Not too sure about the Salmon area though. Regardless, I wouldn't let the nay sayers influence your thinking that anything bigger than a forked horn is rare to find.

You'll be at a disadvantage not knowing the area you plan to hunt, but big deer are still killed every year there on general tags.
I know two people who consistently kill respectable 160" mule deer there (sometimes 2 a year) on general season/public land hunts. They've got the advantage of having hunted their spots for several years though, and they also usually scout pretty heavily before the hunt, which it sounds like you don't have going for you.

The biggest factor I've noticed with mule deer newcomers is that they think they're in good enough shape mentally and physically to do what they have to do....which more often than not ends up not being the case. Many also erroneously think high tech gear makes up for those deficiencies. The two hunters mentioned above would make a lot of folks on these boards (who kill a lot less) laugh at the shït gear they use. You may or may not fit that mold.....I don't know you from Adam, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Pretty sure I know one of them...

The last paragraph can't be over stated.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20

OP

I'll send him over

That's just phuggin' mean. LOL
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=T_Inman]Idaho for sure is stupidly crowded with out of staters, but it was that way 20+ years ago and the deer are still there. I remember in the 90's seeing hundreds of pickup lights headed up the mountain roads on opening morning in the southern part of the state. It looked like an army invading. Not too sure about the Salmon area though. Regardless, I wouldn't let the nay sayers influence your thinking that anything bigger than a forked horn is rare to find.

Thanks for the heads up. Fitness is solid. And my stuff is boringly non cool. But it works.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Yes you do, and he's sitting at camp right now with a bear skin to keep warm and a 6x6 elk to eat.
I hate that guy.

Thanks for the heads up. Fitness is solid.

This is exactly what I am referring to when I say many mule deer (and elk) newcomers think they're in good enough shape---mentally and physically---to do a non-guided PL/GS western hunt....I've had a lot of people over the years tell me that exact thing, and only a very small percentage of them actually were....I'm not trying to be negative or a dick...just trying to be honest. I do truly hope you're in that small percentage.

Good luck to you either way...
Posted By: super T Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
I have some very fond memmories of the Salmon River area. Years ago I hunted a lot near Ellis (where the Pahsimeroi River joins the Salmon) south of the city of Salmon. In those days (1965-1975) there were few hunters and lots of deer. You could buy two buck deer tags over the counter. And, the season stayed open until Thanksgiving. I'd describe how fantastic the hunting was but few would believe me. I know my re-living the past doesn't help you. Anyway, Good Luck !!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/16/20
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by super T
I have some very fond memmories of the Salmon River area. Years ago I hunted a lot near Ellis (where the Pahsimeroi River joins the Salmon) south of the city of Salmon. In those days (1965-1975) there were few hunters and lots of deer. You could buy two buck deer tags over the counter. And, the season stayed open until Thanksgiving. I'd describe how fantastic the hunting was but few would believe me. I know my re-living the past doesn't help you. Anyway, Good Luck !!

Thank you! I am looking forward to it for sure!
Thanks for the input and help! Wanted to give an update as my huntt is pretty much over.

Day one I covered a lot of ground and gained about 1500 feet. Walked about 5 miles. I glasses for three hours and could have shot a small 3 point at 270 yards. I passed since it was day 1.

Walked a lot the rest of the week and never saw another buck! Saw some beautiful country and learned a lot. Feel like I will be better prepared for the next trip. The area is AWESOME. Hunted north of Salmon two days and hunted around Challis two days. You guys were right. It was hard country and hard walking! But so worth it. I have no regrets on passing the buck on day 1.

Now I will focus on whitetails back home and have a good time with my sons. Good luck everyone!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/24/20
There is a lot of great country between North Fork and Challis Mule deer hunting is rarely easy but they do live in some cool places. Glad you had a good time.

mike r
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/24/20
Did you find a late hunt that goes into November? For the most part, the big guys stay away from does until the end of Oct. Some years a little snow and cold can get them to move in with the girls a little earlier. There will be some bucks with the does earlier but they'll be young ones, usually 1 or 2 year olds.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Did you find a late hunt that goes into November? For the most part, the big guys stay away from does until the end of Oct. Some years a little snow and cold can get them to move in with the girls a little earlier. There will be some bucks with the does earlier but they'll be young ones, usually 1 or 2 year olds.

I would love to get a rut hunt in for sure. Saw over 100 does but only the one buck. Yesterday morning, my last morning of the hunt, I saw a nice Whitetail buck chasing a doe. He was a 5 x 5 that probably scored 150 - 160 inches. I think it should start lighting up soon with the muleys. I guess that’s the challenge of hunting on a general tag. It Is still so early. I will definitely put in for the November hunt from here on out.
Posted By: centershot Re: Shooting my first Muley - 10/24/20
Drawing one of those November tags would be awesome, but the odds are terrible. Something like this buck I shot yesterday is probably a little better than average for a general hunt and usually takes a 'good spot' and a little luck.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Woah that is a great buck Centershot. Congrats
© 24hourcampfire