Home
Posted By: jackmountain Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Or recipe you’ve had. Preferred vodka?
Fishing trip with the guys coming up this week and day drinking should start with a good mixed drink.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
I make mine from my own recipe, but fave store bought is 5 peppers with a touch of Zatarains crab boil added. Oops, just gave away my secret ingredient. Zing Zang is popular as well.

I shy away from top shelf vodka for a BM as a BM should have a bit of bite IMO, so Smirnoff or something like that is my go to. I've made them with Stoli, Tito's, etc., just too smooth. Hell, I mix 3 parts mix to 2 parts Vodka & it's OK with middle shelf. Go top shelf & mix half & half.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
I've kinda outgrown all day drinking, but, IMHO, any drinks should be made with fresh ingredients. IME, mixes really suck. They belong in the same category as instant coffee, lite (so-called) beer and the slush puppy frozen drinks air-headed chicks who don't really like liquor tend to favor. So, a recipe for a bloody mary? If I had in mind to have a bloody mary, I'd go for the highest quality bottled (not canned) tomato juice I could find and mix it with vodka, maybe a shot of Tabasco. As far as what kind of vodka, at our house it's Absolute or Grey Goose. Both have been found to be good, smooth, suitable for drinking on the rocks vodkas that will not leave you with a headbanging pain the next day. I seem to recall having consumed ill-advised quantities of Stolichnaya vodka on occasion also without untoward after-effects.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Tito’s vs Grey Goose vs (?)
Posted By: bucktail Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Never had it but one of my friends claims that aquavit is better than vodka in a bloody Mary.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
I love a good Bloody Mary, especially one made from natural ingredients. With that said I frequently grab some of these when I don’t have time to grab ingredients or have time or space to make them. Everyone who has had one has been impressed.

https://cutwaterspirits.com/canned-cocktails/spicy-bloody-mary/
Posted By: add Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
https://oliversgourmet.net/items/spicy-bloody-mary-mix/

Best I have ever had.

The thick - ketchup like - consistency provides for ice melt-down and room for your favorite vodka/gin

Garlic, anchovy, celery seed, etc...

Locally based, so shipping might be $$
Posted By: gunzo Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I've had these & the cost coupled with how I've felt next day, I'd go with Stoli.

Titos hurt me one morning, it's hype & cost shouldn't have done that.

Grey Goose is 30% more cash. Good, but better is the question.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Tag for morning drinking
Posted By: 16bore Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Zing Zang, and rim the glass with Old Bay since your fishing...
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
zing zang get a pepper voka...or one with a Habano I it ...omg good
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
I used to be the default 'tender at an annual BM party. I stocked my bar with Mr T's Spicy mix, and also took along some plain tomato juice for the wusses. Vodka of choice was Smirnoff's. My "secret ingredient" is a 1-2 mix of Worcestershire and dill pickle juice, plus celery salt. About half an ounce per drink.

Drink variations included the Bloody Maria, which subbed Anejo Tequila for vodka, and the Caesar, which subbed Clamato juice for the Mr T's. And of course the Virgin Mary, for designated drivers or teetotalers. This was not a "garnish" crowd, but I kept a supply of olives and celery sticks on ice in case anyone asked.

I keep drinks light at events like this so nobody gets smashed, and also to speed up production. One shot glass of booze, half of one of pickle juice over ice, and fill glass with mix. Stir and smile.
Posted By: K22 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20

vs Reyka.
Zing Zang mix has MSG in it.
Posted By: Sevastopol Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Or recipe you’ve had. Preferred vodka?
Fishing trip with the guys coming up this week and day drinking should start with a good mixed drink.

I love drinking trips. Haven't been on one in a while. I've never used a commercial mix, but have always thought that whatever ingredients I have handy, Tabasco and horseradish are most important to not be missing. For a Bloody Mary, I'll use any vodka.
Posted By: deflave Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Clamato.

Belvedere, Grey Goose, Absolut, and Hangar 1 are all good.

Titos sucks ass.
I never drink vodka straight, so can't tell one from another. Especially when it comes to Bloody Mary variants with so many other very strong flavors.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Zing Zang mix with cucumber vodka. Toss in a few other ingredients ...mmm
Posted By: EdM Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
McClure's Bloody Mary Mixer, Svedka vodka, a few dashes of Trappey's hot sauce and celery salt for the rim. Damn, I am out of vodka this AM...
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Every Sunday a 11 AM from Memorial Day to Labor Day we have a group that boat together and have "Bloody Sunday" at a different persons house....

Start with a 16 oz. tumbler rub rim with lime coat with Demitris Bacon Rim Shot fill 1/2 with only clear ice, Members Mark vodka 2 shots, 1/2 shot dill pickle juice, 3 splashes Worcestershire Sauce, 4 splashes of Tabasco (or to taste), 1 shot of Clamato, top it off with V8 Tomato Juice,1 shake fresh ground white pepper, 1 shake of O'Bay seasoning use a piece of celery to stir and serve in glass..... 8" skewer with large stuffed olives, dill pickle spear, bacon.....gone as far putting chicken wing, shrimp, and ribs....

There's a couple that are beer drinkers don't drink liquor they have MC Cocktails.... tomato juice and beer....
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by cra1948
I've kinda outgrown all day drinking, but, IMHO, any drinks should be made with fresh ingredients. IME, mixes really suck. They belong in the same category as instant coffee, lite (so-called) beer and the slush puppy frozen drinks air-headed chicks who don't really like liquor tend to favor. So, a recipe for a bloody mary? If I had in mind to have a bloody mary, I'd go for the highest quality bottled (not canned) tomato juice I could find and mix it with vodka, maybe a shot of Tabasco. As far as what kind of vodka, at our house it's Absolute or Grey Goose. Both have been found to be good, smooth, suitable for drinking on the rocks vodkas that will not leave you with a headbanging pain the next day. I seem to recall having consumed ill-advised quantities of Stolichnaya vodka on occasion also without untoward after-effects.

C’mon, man!

Just a drop or two of Tabasco? What about fresh ground black pepper, celery seed and Worcestershire sauce? And boost that Tabasco up some!
Posted By: BigPine Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by 16bore

Winner !
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Only a Philistine would make a Bloody Mary or a martini with vodka. Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles gin.
Well, that's an opinion.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
I always got the three flags of Mexico drink when traveling. One of the flutes was semi clear tomato juice. I’m told that Mexican bar tenders pride themselves in preparing the juice.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Clamato.

Belvedere, Grey Goose, Absolut, and Hangar 1 are all good.

Titos sucks ass.

De Flavor.....Nailed the Clamato, blind taste test of customers at a local bar, plain ol' Clamato won hands down. Bartender used generic vodka or gin (yes, a gin bloody mary, make angels sing) added a garnish of a little celery stalk and or a dilly bean.
Of course, nobody beats the Gold Bar on Bridge St in downtown Winnemucca....seriously.
One late evening with I-80 closed due to a blizzard, I had a Winnemucca Belly Warmer in the Gold Bar.

In a large mug:

2 oz brandy
1/2 oz Cinnamon Schnapps
Fill with very hot cider
Stir with a cinnamon stick

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Raab, you are a man of uncommon sophistication and good taste.
Winnemucca is a trap for the unwise....I enjoyed the 5 dollar bloody mary a lot more than the 3,500 dollar Ken Tipton saddle.
Posted By: 805 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Costco vodka is pretty darn good. Don’t forget the bacon strip as the stirring stick. Best Bloody Mary I’ve had used Bacon and Tabasco along with the standard items.
No need for fancy vodka in a BM.
Just good enough that any flavor (which vodka should not have) will not leak thru for the blandest of BMs in your audience.
Otherwise you are throwing away entertainment/recreation dollars.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by 805
Costco vodka is pretty darn good. Don’t forget the bacon strip as the stirring stick. Best Bloody Mary I’ve had used Bacon and Tabasco along with the standard items.

That is correct. It routinely beats Grey Goose in blind taste tests and is much, much cheaper.
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by 805

That is correct. It routinely beats Grey Goose in blind taste tests and is much, much cheaper.

I have heard good things. Texas does not allow Costco to sell their booze here. We spend summer + in north Idaho where liquor stores are state owned so no go as well. As I wrote, Svedka is cheap and works. Pinnacle is another.
Damn, I am heading out now for some vodka...
Posted By: papalondog Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Best BM I had was at the Bucket of Blood saloon in Silver City, Nevada. They sell the mix there too.
Umm, could you have had more than one? I kinda thought the Bucket of Blood was in Virginia City?
Posted By: Steve Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by add
https://oliversgourmet.net/items/spicy-bloody-mary-mix/

Best I have ever had.

The thick - ketchup like - consistency provides for ice melt-down and room for your favorite vodka/gin

Garlic, anchovy, celery seed, etc...

Locally based, so shipping might be $$

Looks like a couple stores around here might carry it. Gonna have to check it out.
Originally Posted by BigPine
Originally Posted by 16bore

Winner !

I recommend the crab cake sandwich to go along with it.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Only a Philistine would make a Bloody Mary or a martini with vodka. Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles gin.

Not a BM fan, but I'm with you on martini's. Anything but high-quality gin and an appropriate amount (by individual taste) of high-quality dry vermouth with a few olives is not a martini. At best, it's a "martini-like drink.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Not a BM fan, but I'm with you on martini's. Anything but high-quality gin and an appropriate amount (by individual taste) of high-quality dry vermouth with a few olives is not a martini. At best, it's a "martini-like drink.

Spoken like a true gentleman. Gin is one of the greatest achievements of Western Civilization.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Charleston Fresh & Veggie is my favorite mix
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by gunzo

I've had these & the cost coupled with how I've felt next day, I'd go with Stoli.

Titos hurt me one morning, it's hype & cost shouldn't have done that.

Grey Goose is 30% more cash. Good, but better is the question.

Agreed on the Tito's. I'll drink it, but if I don't stop after a few, it's big hangover. I prefer Absolut. No hangover....for me.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Best Bloody Mary mix - 10/18/20
By far, the best pre-made bloody mary mix I've found (and I've tried many) is Bloody Revolution. My favorite is Bloody Revolution Ribeye or the Habanero.

Bloody Revolution Mix
© 24hourcampfire