Home
Myself, basic training, Fort Leonard Wood, November to February. Coal heat, the army crud.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Myself, basic training, Fort Leonard Wood, November to February. Cool heat, the army crud.

Eh, Fort Leonard Wood wasn't so bad. White Sands, New Mexico sucked.
Egypt
Texas.
Other than overseas assignments, Alabama.
The Worst Place You Ever Lived?.

Flint, Michigan.
Chu Lai. In a tent.

Rats were the size of rabbits damn near. 110*+ at noon. Dwarfs shooting at me all the time.
Jacksonville Florida the year hurricane Andrew came through!
[spoiler][/spoiler]Fort Wood, mail call formation, letter for a nice trooper. "Hey fellows, I've been drafted." Our CC took care of it. laugh
Usinsk, Russia working in the oil patch.
Ft. Lewis in the winter
Camp Darby in February
Right now, [bleep] liberal LaCrosse county
Houston Texas
Hinesville GA.
Originally Posted by skeen
Myself, basic training, Fort Leonard Wood, November to February. Cool heat, the army crud.

Eh, Fort Leonard Wood wasn't so bad. White Sands, New Mexico sucked.

I’ll second NM. I spent a little time in Albuquerque. Santa Fe and Taos were liberal but at least had nice scenery and outdoor opportunities. Albuquerque just sucked.
Schit....I dont know..

Havre?

Flint, Michigan.

I can’t argue with that either. I live about an hour North (but a world away) what brought you to Flint?
Milwaukee Wisconsin but I was stationed in Millington TN.It was not bad but Memphis isn't to far down the road and that place is a [bleep]!!
Ft. Polk.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Closely followed by Egypt.
South Texas
Canton ohio
whatever is the worse, it can always be worse
Originally Posted by Nykki
Usinsk, Russia working in the oil patch.

I spent some years in the oil/gas industry. Couldn't wait to get out the business of being gone all the time.

Curious how working a rig in Russia worked out.
For a little over a year at Parker Dam (Colorado River) in the Govt housing (1930's build) at the dam, on the Cornholefornia side of the river no less. Hottest day we saw was around 122 in the summer and it actually snowed about a 1/2" in February that year, but that didnt last long. Circa 1984-85.
Thanks guys.
Ft Drag, North Cambodia!
Myself, basic training, Fort Leonard Wood, November to February. Coal heat, the army crud.

I was there in the summer. LOVELY place
Pusht Rod, Afghanistan.
Hotels/motels. A different one in a different town/city/State every week. Four years worth for the railroad and four more for Time Warner. It sucked.
Moved up to Washington state north of Spokane to live with my cousin Dave and learn how to build log cabins. He lived out in the woods with his girlfriend in a log cabin that they had built.
No running water, he had an outhouse. A stinking sh**thole. No showers. Had a wood stove. Took 1 1/2 hours to make a pot of coffee.
I lived there for 7 months. I did build one log cabin.

Good God I got sick of being dirty and crapping in a stinking shi**thole. Got out and never went back.
Soviet nuclear test site in Kazakhstan. It was only 3 months but I liked 27 months in RVN. better. At least we got to shoot the commies there.

mike r
About 60 miles offshore Caspian Sea on our man made island. Freezing winters and hot summers with a bunch of idiots to manage. On shore Atyrau Kazakhstan was a solid second.

Helicopter shot.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

My living quarters on the Schotov, a retire Russian cruise ship.

Tired, home after 28 12's.

Wasn't Texas O&G...
New York state and Massachusetts- by a mile.
Seems there's a strong military nexus here.
Can't say I've ever lived in a horrible place or one that I hated. They all had something good about them. West Berlin was the coolest and most exciting place I've ever lived with none of the crime and urban rot of big American cities. Ft. Lauderdale in the 50's and 60's was a sleepy little city 8 months of the year with great beaches and world class deep sea fishing. Utica, NY had an old European immigrant soul and great food; it was overtaxed and damp and cold in the winter but upstate NY in general was very pretty in a rolling farmland, small village pastoral way plus it had a ton of history all around it.
Mobile Aladamnbama. Most inbred place I’ve ever seen.
Toledo, Ohio
Three years in Louisville. If I never have to go there again I will count myself lucky.
Stateside: Dayton, OH
Abroad: Samarra, Iraq
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Flint, Michigan.

I can’t argue with that either. I live about an hour North (but a world away) what brought you to Flint?

I was born there - back when they had good water at least. wink
Norfolk, Virginia. Spent a lot of my navy career there. Sucked. Hated that state. When I retired from active duty I left that very afternoon and don't intend to ever set foot there again.

Spent a year on Diego Garcia too. That runs a close 2nd.
Originally Posted by hanco
Houston Texas

TimesTwo
FOB Gardez, Afghanistan trust me it was no FOB. I remember when we got Bagram airbase. We had too do mandatory briefs. One was finance and to get the eagle card because where we were going we would have eagle card machine and load money on it so we could use it said card at the PX. Our squadron hq was headed to paktia province to FOB Gardez. The finance goons at bagram said yep px there.. Well we finally get to Shangra la and their isn’t chit their. The cav sqdn we replaced out of Campbell blew that joint.. all the amenities they talked about in bagram were non existent lol. You want to talk about even chittier places COP Wilderness, COP Herrera, COP Zormat, COP Dysey.. lord I’m having flashbacks lol..
We were finding hand-grenades in our wall lockers, ammo cans full of 5.56 rds. Where we were at in Afghanistan was truly the wild ph ucking west.
Mexico
Ft. Benning in the summer
Bahrain. 7+ months TAD although technically TAD could only be for 6 months according to the travel manual. Admiral’s staff during Desert Storm.
It’s a dry heat right. No, it’s a damn island surrounded by water. In late summer, temps of ~125 and heat index over 150. If you were in the area you understand.
I’ve lived in a lot of places, geographically. Most of them I enjoyed for one thing or another. Worst places have been more about the immediate living conditions-

Middle Georgia with no AC.
Lived in my truck for a while when I moved to the PNW. Topper leaked like a SOB.
Rented a room from a filthy ho with a new born.
Lived in a homeless shelter for a couple weeks.
St. Lucie County jail back before ac and heat.
Lived my whole life within 30 miles., 2 counties, 4 homes.
The trailer park was the worst, but most interesting.

Spent years living in a truck, maybe that was the worst.
Not allowed to idle the truck for ac/heat.
Sleeping during daylight in New Orleans in the summer is a treat.
Nice and cool when you shut 'er down.
In about 10 minutes you can feel the engine heat coming up through the sleeper. (Cabover)
Winter wasn't bad. It's easy to carry the stuff to keep warm.
Colorado Springs. Lived there from April 2013 till Oct 2015. Both the wife and I hated it within a week of living there. When we sold our house and finished the closing I drove to the credit union to deposit the check in my RV then departed the state.
Odessa texas.
Stafford, VA followed by ASP Dulab, Iraq.
Lived????
Or was????

2 different things
"Lived" you had things like infrastructure.
"Was" just your ruck or assualt pack and wherever.

Too many "was" to even write down.

Homie been from panama to norway to korea and the middle east.
And places in between.
Homie spent alot of time sleeping on the ground on the planet in justabout every weather condition imaginable.

Now I got a bed in Clarksvegas Tn.
Homie happy not putting down tracks anymore...
And I aint ever getting on a jet ever again.

LOL!!!
Harshaw Wisconsin.
SACharlie's head, Good Lord what a mess!!
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Other than overseas assignments, Alabama.

grin

BTDT

Flint, Michigan.

I was born there - back when they had good water at least. wink

My grandfather moved to Flint from KY as a young kid but moved to the thumb and eventually Bay City as a young adult.
Norfolk VA project housing. Slept on a mattress on the floor next to a brick wall, shootings were a weekly if not daily occurrence.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hinesville GA.

Most interesting thing about Hinesville was all the dudes getting killed by speeding cars as they tried to cross over Oglethorpe Hwy from the Big Apple Strip Club to where they had parked their cars at the Huddle House across the street. For a while there it was like watching bowling for dollars grin

God rest their souls. Amen.

Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Odessa texas.

Worked there but lived in Midland and was fine. In fact, the Midland folks we became friends with convinced us that we would retire in Texas.
A condemned ghetto hellhole directly across the street from the Mission Park towers (public housing projects) circa 1990 or so. Kid in the rural places: "we found a dead deer out back yesterday!" Inner city kid: "we found a dead hooker and a dead dope junkie in the back with a needle sticking out of his arm!" Oh, really? That's unfortunate. So, you said your favorite food is pizza I think, right?' Ha. No regrets but the greater the distance between me and where I grew up the happier I am. As long as I'm with my lass, anyway...
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
A condemned ghetto hellhole directly across the street from the Mission Park towers (public housing projects) circa 1990 or so. Kid in the rural places: "we found a dead deer out back yesterday!" Inner city kid: "we found a dead hooker and a dead dope junkie in the back with a needle sticking out of his arm!" Oh, really? That's unfortunate. So, you said your favorite food is pizza I think, right?' Ha. No regrets but the greater the distance between me and where I grew up the happier I am. As long as I'm with my lass, anyway...

Jesus I thought japan was nicer than that??
Columbus, Mississippi
Davao City or Pleiku
Originally Posted by 79S

You'd think, but then short-sighted, bucktoothed little gummers is SNEAKY. Oh, you left yer infant outside the LQ whilst you went in to powder yer nose and when you got back you seen little Timmy Wong running off chewing on yer kid's bicep? Goshdangit nem slopes is becoming a problem...'
England
South Orange, NJ between school terms at Penn State. NJ for Bell Telephone. 5 apartment buildings, 15 stories, apartments on each floor.I was on the 12th floor.Way too much for a farm boy
Couple places come to mind, 1) Mother Rucker, Alabama in mid summer. For a northern midwestern boy, that was a close to hell as I'd been. 2) Lovely townhouse in Manassas, VA. next to a neighborhood known for the largest drug bust in the area. As close to the hood as I'd been, close as I want to be, and I hung out in Detroit as a kid. 3) Didn't live there, but have done a lot of TDY at Ft. Dix, NJ. Most aptly named place I've been. There was 1 somewhat decent German restaurant so it didn't all suck, but watching the roaches move under the wallpaper in your hotel room was a bit disconcerting.

Old70
I was a mechanic forman, we were supervisors the Russians did most of the work.That job was in 95 and 96, my first job overseas, quite the eye opener. Went back in 2004 for the Sakhalin 1 project.
Columbia S.C. Much of S.C is very nice. Columbia, not so much IMHO.
Originally Posted by 79S

You'd think, but then short-sighted, bucktoothed little gummers is SNEAKY. Oh, you left yer infant outside the LQ whilst you went in to powder yer nose and when you got back you seen little Timmy Wong running off chewing on yer kid's bicep? Goshdangit nem slopes is becoming a problem...'

Well I know you mentioned you lived in Japan your pops was a contractor for the u.s government. So you guys fell on hard times after that?? Then lived in the projects next to the wahlebergs?
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Columbia S.C. Much of S.C is very nice. Columbia, not so much IMHO.

Two notch road... great part of town., lol
Originally Posted by 79S
FOB Gardez, Afghanistan trust me it was no FOB. I remember when we got Bagram airbase. We had too do mandatory briefs. One was finance and to get the eagle card because where we were going we would have eagle card machine and load money on it so we could use it said card at the PX. Our squadron hq was headed to paktia province to FOB Gardez. The finance goons at bagram said yep px there.. Well we finally get to Shangra la and their isn’t chit their. The cav sqdn we replaced out of Campbell blew that joint.. all the amenities they talked about in bagram were non existent lol. You want to talk about even chittier places COP Wilderness, COP Herrera, COP Zormat, COP Dysey.. lord I’m having flashbacks lol..

I was across town at the Dyncorp RTC and mentored with the Border Police. It wasn't really to bad for us. I had a private room and a mess hall 25 yards away. Other than an occasional mortar and rocket attack.

kwg
The Madrid. POS apartment building in LA when I was going to school there. Depressing dump.
California.

Hands down, without a doubt.

Close second is South Carolina.
Borough of the Bronx in New York City. I don't know what I ever did in my life to be punished by living there. Got the fugh out and never looked back.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Well I know you mentioned you lived in Japan your pops was a contractor for the u.s government. So you guys fell on hard times after that?? Then lived in the projects next to the wahlebergs?

Good memory. We lived in Tokyo as a result of my old man who on the behalf of the USAF and DOD corp he worked for from like '80 to '83. My time living amongst the savages in ye olde urban jungle was very late 80s to early 90s,post HS years. Think, 'OK, FU son!' 'OK, FU dad!' Young, disrespectful, full of hate, T, urine and vinegar. 'I won't last a weekend out there before running back home?' It was 18 months before I called to see if everything was OK with them...
This has been an interesting thread - read here of some places I have passed by/through and often wondered about. I do not doubt a word of your descriptions and my respect for military guys - always high - just went up another notch. Thanks for living through that stuff.

My worst place would still be fairly nice in comparison - have been blessed, no complaints.
Originally Posted by auk1124
Three years in Louisville. If I never have to go there again I will count myself lucky.

I agree.....My worst was Lexington, KY and Loserville beats it. This was a long time ago, and now they're both worse. The rest of KY is my home, but these two nut houses aren't, and never will be.
Wabigoon: The once wonderful, hard working, friendly, traditional valued city now known as "seattle" - what an absolute schithole it has turned into over the last 25 years.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Villa Alvarado Apartments San Pablo Ca. 1975.

Had to walk under the Interstate 80 freeway using a pedestrian tunnel to get to school.

That's some urban chit buddy let me tell you.
Times 3 for Houston Tx. Colonial house apts.specifically. Followed closely by shocked.P.I.
Pipeliner No. 5 ,Timberland block,Gulf of Mexico,was called a Ghetto barge for a reason.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by 79S

I was across town at the Dyncorp RTC and mentored with the Border Police. It wasn't really to bad for us. I had a private room and a mess hall 25 yards away. Other than an occasional mortar and rocket attack.

kwg

Our sqdrn had a partnership with the ABP. So our CSM was partnered with the ABP equivalent. So we are COP Herrera our CSM wants to go see the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. So I get to go along with everyone else they can stuff into MRAPS off we go. Well we see the border numerous times ph uck actually ended up in Pakistan those Pakistan Soldiers eyes about bugged out when the saw us. Anyhow we go to a ABP check point CSM through our interpreter asks the
If they need anything. Well they start bitching their body armor sucks they want what we are wearing IOTV’s. CSM asks me and my bud to look at the ABP vests. Chit the stuff they had was better than our chit. Plate carriers made in America, the plates made in America. But those ABP wanted what we had because they thought it was better.
Inkster Michigan, it was so bad that I took a transfer to Thule Greenland to get out of Inkster. Inkster was the two longest months of my life, the other two longest months were Fargo, ND in Feb and March, I took a transfer to Mobile AL to get out of Fargo. I ended up in Mobile for a year and one-half and enjoyed it very much.

drover
In a van

down by the river
Bombay for a few weeks.
Originally Posted by AZmark
For a little over a year at Parker Dam (Colorado River) in the Govt housing (1930's build) at the dam, on the Cornholefornia side of the river no less. Hottest day we saw was around 122 in the summer and it actually snowed about a 1/2" in February that year, but that didnt last long. Circa 1984-85.

Interesting.

20 years later I lived about 120 miles upriver. For 5 years or so. But I don't consider it "the worst" place. Heck, I grew a serrano pepper plant there for about 3 years total. Any place I can grow peppers year round is OK with me. Very few times there was frost I just covered the shade structure with a blanket. So hot there in the summer our cold water came out of the tap at 104F. The taillight lenses on my Toyota truck got distorted from the heat coming off the black dock bumper.

This was a day in Aug 2005, nothing unusual.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Lived in a 28' camping trailer in Juneau AK. Had the convenience store/gas station across the street go up in flames around midnite at about -2F on day. Thought we were going to have to evacuate. At that time, I lived through I think the wettest July on record, 8" more rain than a normal Aug, and just a regular wet Sept too. Sure was a big change from the above place. Before I found and bought the trailer I lived in a damp moldy basement room in one of the old timers at work place. And before I found that room I lived in a tent, in Aug the year before the wettest one. But I loved AK.

Lived in a tent for a few weeks in April in NW PA, then in a seedy motel room for a couple of weeks until I found a house for rent. A house, on a hill, above a RR yard with trains clanking and banging at 0200 many mornings. Getting up and down the hill in winter to get back and forth to work was "fun". But I loved PA, smallmouth fishing was great behind the Burger King in town, just climb over their guard rail and go down to the creek.

Lived in a motel in NE AZ, at around 6000-7000' with my wife, two dogs, and two cats. Until we found a 600 sq ft "cabin" to live in. Was like a giant studio. Then moved 8 miles out a "gravel" road onto the Rez to live. Getting to work in winter was fun too, the Rez road then up the hill 10 miles or so to town and work. But, I didn't have to mow my lawn but about 3 times in the year and a half we were there. Bull elk jumped the chain link fence to keep it mowed for me. Fishing and hunting in the area were pretty good too.........so again, not the worst place I lived.

Lived in an old 5th wheel camp trailer with an "addition" living room built on the side of it in coastal NorCal. hill behind it kept sliding down in the rain. Shallow well would run dry in the late summer, landlady had to have water trucked in to fill our tank. Last year I was there it rained 60" between Oct and May. Moss grew in the window tracks and around the floor boards of vehicles that sat for a week or two. Was almost impossible living in that place to keep guns from getting light rust, even getting them out and wiping them down once a month or so. But in the summer time I once looked around at the ocean, the redwood forest, the blue skies and thought "why would anyone ever want to leave here?". Then the rains return, and clouds all spring. Nope, not the worst.

Lived in a 17', 1977 Ford C class Motor Home for 8 months one spring/summer/fall in E WA. from well below freezing to about 105F with only a milk house heater for heat and a fan for cooling. Upgraded to better RVs/camp trailer over the 8 or so years I was there. With heat and A/C! But, pheasant hunting right outside the little housing area, just about 100 yds from my door. And fishing etc. Not the worst place to live.

I've lived a lot more places too, but I guess none qualify as the "worst"........................yet wink

No telling where I'll end up next, I hope it's no worse than all the other places.
With my first wife!
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Columbus, Mississippi

I lived there for a year and I thought it was a great place.
If God were to give the world an enema...Parker Arizona is where the nozzle would go in.

The place I hated worst was 11 - 12 years in inner-city Chicago.

The worst in living conditions but I really didn't notice it at the time as it was more of an adventure to a kid was back in the early '50s when dad worked construction on the uranium enrichment plant down in the Paducah,KY. With thousands of other construction workers there too livable rentals of any kind within 50 miles were near impossible to find.

Ft. Polk, Tigerland was a close runner-up in living conditions and tied with Chicago.
Long beach, CA Dirty, expensive, high tax, restrictive far from most of the outdoors, I spent 4 years there while wife went to school.. miserable I will say that I did make a mint on the house we had tho.
philly suburbs. fuggen polluted, crime ridden, crowded schit hole that i never want to see again.
New Jersey followed by North Haven CT.
Jacksonville Florida. Where I am now..
I spent 4.5 months in Pinedale, Wyoming. Nope..... never again
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Wow, you probably had no idea you were so close to heaven on earth. Best mountains, hiking, fishing, hunting in the lower 48.

Not too many women though if you're single.

Just curious, where would you say is better? I'd like to go there.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Odessa texas.

I left Odessa in 1982, to this day I wonder why anyone not in prison, would stay there.
Pascagoula, MS

if you've even just driven thru there you'd know.

I lived on the gulf coast for several years and I never adjusted to it. There were alot of positives, 70 degree days in February being nice and Mardi Gras, but it just wasn't home - And I never met so many worthless son of a bitches in my life.
Diffie Hill, Viet Nam
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Mobile Aladamnbama. Most inbred place I’ve ever seen.

I lived in Mobile. See my post about Pascagoula - same
Las Vegas NV. Oh chit I see we're including cars and trucks, tents? Naw, Vegas is a chit hole, nothing good about it.
Similar here - was stuck in San Diego for about eight months in boot camp, A-schools and Torpedo school... I freakin' HATE San Diego... Froze my azz off nearly every night.. Woke up one morning in Feb. of '68 with an inch of snow on the sub at Point Loma... Eff that. I can get that at home..
Originally Posted by skitish
Davao City or Pleiku

I like Davao City. Watch your six Joe.
Originally Posted by CCCC
This has been an interesting thread - read here of some places I have passed by/through and often wondered about. I do not doubt a word of your descriptions and my respect for military guys - always high - just went up another notch. Thanks for living through that stuff.

My worst place would still be fairly nice in comparison - have been blessed, no complaints.

Well said.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Columbus, Mississippi

I lived there for a year and I thought it was a great place.

You must have been there way after SAC left.
Frostburg, MD

A little schithole college town up on top of a mountain. The wind always blew and it lived up to it's name in the Winter time.
Yeeesh! After reading this thread I feel like I've lived a charmed life. Lived a number of different places. None of them bad. I used to have to travel to Hobbs, NM and I was always happy to leave. A lot of 10 year-old pickups with lift kits, exhaust stacks, flotation tires, and BASS stickers. Common housing was old single-wides held together with duct tape. Guys with families "back home" shacked up with underage runaways. Welcome to the oil fields circa 1988.

Originally Posted by EIB0879
Ft. Polk.

+1
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Wow, you probably had no idea you were so close to heaven on earth. Best mountains, hiking, fishing, hunting in the lower 48.

Not too many women though if you're single.

Just curious, where would you say is better? I'd like to go there.
Originally Posted by rem141r
philly suburbs. fuggen polluted, crime ridden, crowded schit hole that i never want to see again.

How about S. Philly? Or Chester?
By what criteria? Physical environment? Social/political/economic? Your personal circumstances at the time? I have found good and not so good aspects of every place I have lived. Personal circumstances such as a chitty job or bad marriage can color one's outlook. I get what has been said about the Philly suburbs, tragic, but when I was a kid in the '40s and early '50s I loved to visit my grandparents there. I hated San Antonio when I did my basic in the summer. Thought it was a real hole, until I did my last year in the USAF at Wichita Falls. San Antonio looked good by comparison. Years later I went to SA on business and found it nice, at least to visit.

Best for me, hands down, was Denver in the '60s. I never should have left, at least not until it went downhill in later years.

There are places where the locals will tell you it's heaven on earth, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Personal values, priorities.

Paul
I'll take Odessa, TX any day of the week over Fresno, CA.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's saying a lot about Fresno, that's for sure !
Navy boot camp and A school, Great Lakes from Nov to May

Florida boy--- coldest, windiest, most miserable time of my life.

Swore if I ever got out of there I would never be close to it again.
So far so good
Easy...as a small child I lived in Maple Heights Ohio...a suburb of Cleveland. Even at 6 years old I knew it was a schitthole
Originally Posted by copperking81

I guess perspective is everything. We’ve lived in Stafford for 16 years and have really enjoyed it. Nobody likes the commute on 95 though.
Originally Posted by AML
Yeeesh! After reading this thread I feel like I've lived a charmed life. Lived a number of different places. None of them bad. I used to have to travel to Hobbs, NM and I was always happy to leave. A lot of 10 year-old pickups with lift kits, exhaust stacks, flotation tires, and BASS stickers. Common housing was old single-wides held together with duct tape. Guys with families "back home" shacked up with underage runaways. Welcome to the oil fields circa 1988.

Hobbs was like that in 1980.
Al Ain, UAE in a tent.
Ft knox/ ft Benning. ...your pick ...Washington DC......ugh...you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same big azz city with a different name!
South Vietnam by far, second was kotzebue alaska.

I would have to say Great Lakes. Boot camp.
Every where else not so bad.
35.874361, 47.603208
Originally Posted by flintlocke
If God were to give the world an enema...Parker Arizona is where the nozzle would go in.
Are you talking about any particular range of years/dates? Our experience there was rather good in the 1960s - young educators with two little girls - good schools, very low crime, friendly community, Colorado River Indian Tribes were cooperative, and life on the Cololrado River. Yes - high desert heat June through August but as with all good desert rats, everyone adapted. River/lake was a blessing - swimming, fishing/boating/water skiing/etc. Good desert hunting - dove/quail/mule deer/javelina all around us.

Yes - a long drive (180 miles) to Phx, infusion of a lot of obnoxious Cali strangers to the riverfront many weekends (especially at boat race times) and things like that - but my students and their families were great - mix of farmers/cowboys/business folks/Native Americans - they did well and helped propel me forward in career. Maybe it changed after the late 60s?
I realize that some of the close-in Philly suburbs have gone way downhill since I was a kid, but some places I knew and frequented less than 15 miles from downtown Philly (other than actual cities) have stayed very nice - still have relatives/friends and regularly connect with people there. If you are talking N. Phila, W. Phila, Darby, Yeadon, Camden NJ etc. I can understand the drift. Is that what you meant?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Colorado Springs. Lived there from April 2013 till Oct 2015. Both the wife and I hated it within a week of living there.
I spend a lotta time up there hiking. I like it very much. I do not live there. It’s more expensive in every way to live there than where I do. Their winters are harsher there than where I am, and they have damaging hail there at least a couple of times a year, every year. But, other than that...and depending on where in Colorado Springs one lives...I think it’s a pretty good place for people who like to do a lot of hiking. The opportunities to easily access a tremendous amount of great country are enormous there.
Afghanistan
Are you talking about any particular range of years/dates? Our experience there was rather good in the 1960s - young educators with two little girls - good schools, very low crime, friendly community, Colorado River Indian Tribes were cooperative, and life on the Cololrado River. Yes - high desert heat June through August but as with all good desert rats, everyone adapted. River/lake was a blessing - swimming, fishing/boating/water skiing/etc. Good desert hunting - dove/quail/mule deer/javelina all around us.

Yes - a long drive (180 miles) to Phx, infusion of a lot of obnoxious Cali strangers to the riverfront many weekends (especially at boat race times) and things like that - but my students and their families were great - mix of farmers/cowboys/business folks/Native Americans - they did well and helped propel me forward in career. Maybe it changed after the late 60s?

The whole world has changed since the late sixties, in many ways not for the better. The sixties, seventies, eighties was a golden age in many ways.
I realize that some of the close-in Philly suburbs have gone way downhill since I was a kid, but some places I knew and frequented less than 15 miles from downtown Philly (other than actual cities) have stayed very nice - still have relatives/friends and regularly connect with people there. If you are talking N. Phila, W. Phila, Darby, Yeadon, Camden NJ etc. I can understand the drift. Is that what you meant?

draw a 50 mile circle around center city philly and thats what i am referring to. actually, maybe closer to 100. all crowded, overbuilt, dirty and the air smells like hell. its the fifth largest metro area in the country and it shows. ya, theres some nice little pockets but they are all close to schithole neighborhoods. i lived near yardley, one of the most desirable areas. go a few miles and you had car jackings, shootings, kidnappings, assaults, you name it. that area is poisoned.
Lawton, Oklahoma has few charms.
draw a 50 mile circle around center city philly and thats what i am referring to. actually, maybe closer to 100. all crowded, overbuilt, dirty and the air smells like hell. its the fifth largest metro area in the country and it shows. ya, theres some nice little pockets but they are all close to schithole neighborhoods. i lived near yardley, one of the most desirable areas. go a few miles and you had car jackings, shootings, kidnappings, assaults, you name it. that area is poisoned.
yes, Yardley is close enough to N. Phila to get that - but within your 50 mile radius there are some very nice communities, not up against bad ones, and they small pretty good. 100 mile radius will give you a ton of really nice,safe and good-smelling places.
NYC Housing project in Queens back in the early 60's...Calling it a cesspool would be kind.....They pissed in the hallways, daily.....broke into cars at about the same rate....It was a very colorful neighborhood. Skells, thieves and drug addicts. A nice combo.

My bro loves it there. He's an old dune buggy racer and can drive his fancy SXS off road vehicle out his driveway, down the street and out into the desert whenever he wants. Took a night trip the other day. Has a boat for the river too.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
In a van

down by the river

Classic!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's saying a lot about Fresno, that's for sure !

Hey,

My wife rented a place there for a year +. I asked when she took the job, WHY? Well, a $6000K a year raise this year and another $5000 the next if she did a good job. Hard to convince a person not to take that deal. It gave me the chance to leave the desert and go to AK. As long as she was working in another state from me, a good 8-10 hour drive..........I figured I might as well make it an 8-10 hr plane trip and see AK.

I did tell her Fresno was too close to the armpit of Cali...............Bakersfield (and Arvin)
First duty station, northern Kommiefornia.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Ft knox/ ft Benning. ...your pick ...Washington DC......ugh...you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same big azz city with a different name!

Try L.A.................on some days you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same city................well, if you can consider stop and go , mostly stopped, to be driving.
Barracks Naval Base Guam, SRF . Worse bunch of drug addict drunks you could imagine.
Originally Posted by AML

You say that like it's bad?

Al Dual. Very nice.

I spent a year bouncing between Hit, Haqlaniyah and Haditha, occasional getting up towards Al Qaim.

Lovely, quaint retirement villages, those are.
Guess none of you have ever been to Wilcannia
The worst place I ever lived was under the same roof with my father. He was abusive to the highest degree.
Chicago, the schit hole of America
No running water no electricity, water out of a muddy stream or off of the roof along with lizard crap when it rained. Hot and humid wet season, hot and dry dry season.

Exact same meals for months at a time, no entertainment, no social life. Guardia guaranteed, tsetse flies, mosquitoes, all the parasites ya could handle, neighbors with active TB. Rabid dogs.

Military coup, drunk soldiers at roadblocks, American food aid rice for most every meal the last six months ( rice and sugar fer breakfast, rice and taro leaves for lunch, rice and palm oil for supper).

But.... nobody was trying to kill me so it was all good... seriously.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
No running water no electricity, water out of a muddy stream or off of the roof along with lizard crap when it rained. Hot and humid wet season, hot and dry dry season.

Exact same meals for months at a time, no entertainment, no social life. Guardia guaranteed, tsetse flies, mosquitoes, all the parasites ya could handle, neighbors with active TB. Rabid dogs.

Military coup, drunk soldiers at roadblocks, American food aid rice for most every meal the last six months ( rice and sugar fer breakfast, rice and taro leaves for lunch, rice and palm oil for supper).

San Antonio sounds nice.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by AML

You say that like it's bad?

Maybe it was just their teeth.
As far as locales go, maybe the worst was spending what seemed like a year on the hi-line even though it was Oct-Dec. Cold, dreary, windy, snowy. Had a heckuva a time just going to town to have a burger and a beer. Everyone seemed to want to fight or eff with you.
St. louis, MO
It is not my living conditions that mattered, it is who I was living with and how well we were getting along.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
It is not my living conditions that mattered, it is who I was living with and how well we were getting along.

This.
I feel ya’...but livin’ with a b!tch that you don’t get along with in Lawton, Oklahoma is worse than livin’ with a b!tch that you don’t get along with in a place that you love.
Guam in the 1960's.
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

San Antonio sounds nice.

grin
Minot, ND
Somalia sucked.
Boy this is easy. Drove interstate truck's most my life. If you haven't been into Hunt's Point Market in the Bronks, NYC, you haven't lived! Harlem isn't a lot better!

Flint, Michigan.

I'm from nearby Midland, originally. I can't even imagine what life in Flint would be like.
Licking Mo
The current living room.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The current living room.

Mebbe we can start and Old Bachelor Herd home in Lampassas.

We can call it "The He Man's Wimmen Haters Club".

No Girls allowed.

Especially Darla.
Bahrain
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
The current living room.

Mebbe we can start and Old Bachelor Herd home in Lampassas.

We can call it "The He Man's Wimmen Haters Club".

No Girls allowed.

Especially Darla.

LOL!!!! Cousins exotic game ranch is about 10 miles SSE of Lampasas. Still WAAAAAAY too may people in that neck of the woods for me. I’m thinkin’ more Pandale or Sheffield. 😊
Yes. That's why we imported them here. So we can relive those good times.
Steamboat Springs Colorado. A bunch of "cool guys" and wanna be cool guys, everybody posing for the image of an expert ski racer.

What a bunch of phonies and flakes. It is a ski town.
I've lived a lot of places and south Texas was the worst.

And 2nd place isn't even close.
In an apartment with two female roommates...
Stateside- Fairfax,VA too much traffic and too many liberals on the government teat
OCONUS- Coin toss- Agadez, Niger or Diyarbakir, Turkey
South Central part of Afghanistan. Anywhere near Marja. Worse place on planet earth.
Originally Posted by antlers
I feel ya’...but livin’ with a b!tch that you don’t get along with in Lawton, Oklahoma is worse than livin’ with a b!tch that you don’t get along with in a place that you love.

And I quote.

Lawton is fairly average. There isn't a whole lot here. The crime rate is pretty high, but as long as you know where to stay, it's fairly safe. There are many businesses in Lawton and activity, but also a vast methamphetamine problem as well as a high percentage of syphilis transmission.

Unquote

Sounds like home but no doubt way bigger and warmer.
Baltimore MD.
hard to imagine no one has mentioned Farmington, NM
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Tuba city anyone?? Or Gallup, NM??? Sells, AZ???
Your mom's house.
Brazzaville, Congo in '82-'83 had to be the most austere.

For sheer sense of danger, nothing beat growing up. Home sweet home with a drug/booze addled stepfather with depression and anger problems, and a mother who didn't give a damn.

West Africa. However I still enjoyed it more than the 1st world. Cant stand all this infinite gender war, race war, salary war, left/wing rubbish since coming back.
Originally Posted by RAS
South Central part of Afghanistan. Anywhere near Marja. Worse place on planet earth.

Kandahar will never be a tourist destination either.
Danville, VA followed closely by Cheraw, SC.
Damn that's like choosing between Mogadishu and Cape Town.
Diego Garcia
Temple Hills MD, only lived there for a summer thank God.
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Ft. Polk.

Aww, now...

Lovely place, and with nearby Leesville, what could anyone want better than that.... blush

Not me, but a good bud working for Chevron said Nigeria was his worst. And from what he describes, glad it was him, not me.

DF
Lots of worse ones here, but my two are Korea, and Casa Grande, AZ (arm pit of AZ).

If I'd of had money, could have made Casa Grande work (plenty to do in AZ). But working ASPC Florence for a job, and going through a parental child abduction, custody battle, and scraping every penny possible together for attorney's fees...well, it made for a miserable existence and nothing was left over for anything fun. Chitty duplex in Casa Grande in the summer without AC (conserving cash for lawyer), working at Central Unit in Florence in cell blocks older than my father, in the summer, with swamp coolers and showers running all day long, and eating prison food (also to conserve money) is about as unpleasant as it ever got for me.

At least in Korea I could keep myself somewhat entertained. But Pyongtek in the 80's, in barracks without AC, and on a private's pay wasn't a lot of fun.

On the flip side....best places? Arizona (several places, but Parks and Flagstaff were tops), and Germany. Man...had some fun in Germany, and just an awesome place to live and be able to experience Europe and the history (although hunting and fishing was put on hold those 3 years)!
Originally Posted by fester
Bahrain

Wow, really? Huh, I was there for I believe 3 days on R&R from Iraq - and what I saw was really cool.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Tuba city anyone?? Or Gallup, NM??? Sells, AZ???

Cibecue AZ?

Although a hike to the falls is pretty special.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Las Vegas NV. Oh chit I see we're including cars and trucks, tents? Naw, Vegas is a chit hole, nothing good about it.

I'll second that comment. Three year stationed at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas Nevada. Getting transferred to Osan Korea was a blessing. Thirteen month of party time.
Paul B.
I spent a year in Korea when I was in the USARMY and couldnt wait to leave it. My next duty station was FT Hood, TX and I quickly realized that it was an organized crime ring. Didnt realize how good Korea actually was, I was stationed in Seoul and not a whole lot of drama to deal with like FT Hood.
Portable elder buildings on platform drilling rigs in the gulf.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Guam in the 1960's.

Guam in '78 and '79 was no better. Maybe it was just that [bleep] naval command.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
In an apartment with two female roommates...

Worked for me, but I was in a relationship with one and good friends with the other. Still am on both counts.

Tampa, FL for me. It's a cesspool of vanity and spoiled damnyankee trust fund brats; I escaped immediately after graduating high school. After that is either Tucson or Louisville. The only places I've lived that I genuinely liked are New Mexico and rural Missouri. If circumstances permit, I'd like to move back to Missouri eventually.
If anyone was in prison, there're not saying.
Janesville Wisconsin
Well, I have never lived "overseas" but I would have to say... Tampa Florida.... for that fact anywhere in the state of Florida... between the heat, bugs, Yankees, and Rednecks, I would be perfectly happy never stepping foot in that state again.
If anyone was in prison, they're not saying.

been in the county locked up with Aryan Brotherhood for two weeks wasn't that bad, aggravated assault chargers dropped.
I've lived in 14 different cities or town and have good memories in all.
LOL!!!! Cousins exotic game ranch is about 10 miles SSE of Lampasas. Still WAAAAAAY too may people in that neck of the woods for me. I’m thinkin’ more Pandale or Sheffield. 😊

Can't recall how many times I woulda run out of gas and maybe died who knows if it weren't for Sheffield. They could charge like $10/gallon.....
If anyone was in prison, there're not saying.

I was in the service for 6 years. Voluntary Imprisonment? Our camps in combat zones felt like prison. Only difference was you didn't want to escape.

Boot Camp was definitely like a 4 month sentence.

Some of my best troops were judicial referrals. Service or Jail. They chose Service.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Al Dual. Very nice.

I spent a year bouncing between Hit, Haqlaniyah and Haditha, occasional getting up towards Al Qaim.

Lovely, quaint retirement villages, those are.

Sounds like we used to hang in the same hood wink
port au prince, haiti. anywhere in virginia.
Bethel, Alaska. One weekend....
© 24hourcampfire