Home
Posted By: 1911a1 wind stop jackets or sweaters - 10/28/20
I've always thought that a windstop hunting jacket or sweater would allow me to hunt with a less bulky coat. Has anyone used this type garment and what was your thoughts.

I realize that there is a threshold where it would get cold enough for this not to work. but I'm wondering about the 30^ to 40 is range.

Also suggestions for where to buy and brand.

I have drawn a hunt just south of the Panhandle in Texas for Mule deer that will be on Dec. 7-11.
Posted By: Osky Re: wind stop jackets or sweaters - 10/28/20
Absolutely. No matter where I hunt a light wind proof golf pull over is in my layering. No weight to it, no restriction to my movements.
Even in northern MN here and like environments of super cold it makes a huge difference.

Osky

The best I ever had as far as warmth was a wind shear sweater made/labeled by Remington long ago. Sadly I wore it out. I replaced it 15 years ago with another wool wind shear pullover that’s good but a bit scratchy around the collar. Not as nice of wool as the Remington had.
I have a light one, and it works.
Got it for bowhunting.
Not as quiet as I hoped.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have a light one, and it works.
Got it for bowhunting.
Not as quiet as I hoped.

I was wondering if the windstop was too noisy for bow hunting.
Posted By: efw Re: wind stop jackets or sweaters - 10/28/20
I have a very inexpensive one I bought from MidwayUSA with exactly the same idea and it has worked well.

One consideration to keep in mind that’s tough to know when shopping online is the noisiness of the fabric which has been an issue for me w/ rain jackets in the past.

The one I have is several years old and a solid color rather than camo but similar to this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939148725
I’ve got a cheap Magellan / academy shirt.

Check academy out if you got one close.

The one i have is wind / water resistant. Though i wouldn’t want to in a storm with just that.
I have a very thin Whitewater Outdoors jacket with windstopper. It is surprisingly warm for its lack of bulk.
Bought a woolen mix pullover from Cabelas with windstopper material in it years ag. Great article of clothing but probably would be a bit heavy for me where and when you are describing.

Have a lightweight jacket from cabelas also with windstopper that is good. Exterior is similar to a fleece so it is very quiet.

Unfortunately, cabelas stuff has gone down the crapper in the last 5+ years. But I am sure there are other brands that would fill the need.

I would look for a fleece jacket or pullover (your preference) with windstopper. I just searched and came up with a ton of results. If it is fleece exterior, it should be plenty quiet. Brands that I use these days include arcteryx, marmot, mammut, kuhl, sitka and kuiu. Wife sometimes slips a patagonia into the house against my wishes but they do make decent stuff.

Good luck
Posted By: Ella Re: wind stop jackets or sweaters - 10/28/20

Windpro fleece is the best combo of wind protection, quiet, and breathable in my opinion. Have tried windproof membranes and found them no good for active hunting. Sitting in a stand maybe.
© 24hourcampfire