Home
Has anyone here used memory foam in their 1750 gun case instead of ordering more expensive foam to add different rifles to your case?

BP...
Will memory foam hold moisture? Bad news if it does.
Doesn't all foam hold moisture, to a certain extent?
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Doesn't all foam hold moisture, to a certain extent?

I believe closed cell foam isn't supposed to, except perhaps where cut and the cells are now opened.

Not sure, but I also believe the typical memory foam is not closed cell.
Well, that makes sense & you're correct, Memory foam is open-cell, at least the stuff at my automotive upholstery shop is. I'm just not sure if closed cell foam is appropriate for a gun case - it is rather dense and hard (no "that's what she said" comments necessary).
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Well, that makes sense & you're correct, Memory foam is open-cell, at least the stuff at my automotive upholstery shop is. I'm just not sure if closed cell foam is appropriate for a gun case - it is rather dense and hard (no "that's what she said" comments necessary).

I've got some closed cell foam sleeping pads for backpacking. Dense, but not hard. I think some of my cases have similar.
I haven't really looked into it much, but it seems that most of the hard cases I've looked at have that dark gray open-cell foam.

If the OP doesn't want to purchase the expensive Pelican replacement foam, I'd suggest that he find a fabric/upholstery/foam shop and take a look at what they have. There's such a shop not too far from me and they stock all sorts of foam. He'd probably be able to find something pretty good at such a shop as they usually have various densities of open and closed cell foams.
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Has anyone here used memory foam in their 1750 gun case instead of ordering more expensive foam to add different rifles to your case?

BP...

Not recommended. I use closed cell foam, even tried using evazote layers (available in 1" or 2.54cm). I also cut out at least two squares and place moisture absorber containers or pouches, especially if traveling or leaving a rifle in one for longer than a few days.
Two things:

1) when I bought replacement foam for my Pelican case, I didn't find it excessively expensive. I went to a full feature Pelican dealer.

2) I would not trust any foam that was not cut out to fit the rifle, or the case did not have tie downs. I would be afraid that the rifles could shift in harsh handling during travel when using a foam that relies on friction to hold the rifles in place.
Posted By: EdM Re: Pelican 1750 and Memory Foam? - 10/29/20
Originally Posted by AB2506
Two things:

1) when I bought replacement foam for my Pelican case, I didn't find it excessively expensive. I went to a full feature Pelican dealer.

2) I would not trust any foam that was not cut out to fit the rifle, or the case did not have tie downs. I would be afraid that the rifles could shift in harsh handling during travel when using a foam that relies on friction to hold the rifles in place.

I use a Boyt case that only utilizes friction and have had zero issues on a number of trips.
© 24hourcampfire