Home
Posted By: Valsdad Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/14/20
Interesting little shelters they have. All for some little fish. But I love smelt and wish I had some now that I've seen the video.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019101/?cid=wohk-fb-org_vod_fishingcazy_ioi-202003-001%3Fcid%3Dwohk-fb-org_vod_fc_ii-202010-001&fbclid=IwAR0ZE3l2ee8IpQ76RjLw8t5FPhv6lcDArTj5xthKK_MkTfvgQ70W3VnIBGg
All that for a bait fish?

And I thought Ice fishing for walleyes was hardcore.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
All that for a bait fish?

And I thought Ice fishing for walleyes was hardcore.

You ever have some fried smelt? I like them better than walleye I think (although I'm partial to almost any fish).

That video got me to thinking I might want to head over to the coast next year for some surf smelt fishing. But they don't get them like those Japanese folks. You get buckets of them. With a net, not no little tiny hooks!
Posted By: rong Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/14/20
Still have my old smelt net,used to get them by the bucket here back in the 80"s
Can still get them at the market or online,delish
There's a Japanese fellow that frequents a US website dedicated to ice fishing. He posts some very interesting pictures. They do things differently over there.
Originally Posted by rong
Still have my old smelt net,used to get them by the bucket here back in the 80"s

Yep, we used to fill buckets full off Seneca lake when I was in high school. They were some good eating!
As far as eating fried fish, agree with Geno. A meal of fresh, properly prepared smelt is hard to beat. Love them, especially those taken from the salt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

They are good fish, really good about once a year...
I get bigger fish that that from Calcutta.
Pacific smelt have a lovely warm glow ever since the nuke plant meltdown. They are to die for.
You would have to be pretty hungry to eat bait
Posted By: rong Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/14/20
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by rong

Yep, we used to fill buckets full off Seneca lake when I was in high school. They were some good eating!

Yes Sir,We didn't hit Seneca as much as Naples creek off of Ca.lake,but mostly out either Port bay or Maxwell off of Ontario.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
As far as eating fried fish, agree with Geno. A meal of fresh, properly prepared smelt is hard to beat. Love them, especially those taken from the salt.

Bastid!
grin

What'd you folks use for coating them? Rice flour? Some sort of tempura batter? Just in case I get over to the coast for some netting. I've used Italian bread crumbs, of course.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You would have to be pretty hungry to eat bait

Is it the size of the fish?
Or how fishy it smells?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Pacific smelt have a lovely warm glow ever since the nuke plant meltdown. They are to die for.

Mmmn?

I wonder if they have an advisory on them.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What'd you folks use for coating them? Rice flour? Some sort of tempura batter? Just in case I get over to the coast for some netting. I've used Italian bread crumbs, of course.

Just regular old flour, bud. If we were deep frying, then would've used panko a la tempura.

The fresh ocean run smelt we get here in winter smell, believe it or not, a bit like cucumber. Not fishy at all.

As far as the bait comments, actually, many types of smelt are indeed used all the time as bait. So yeah, smelt are bait. For those who don't know a thing about fresh ocean run smelt and eating them and how wonderful they are though are, well, your loss.

The world of fine finned eats doesn't begin and end with the likes of canned tuna sandwiches on white bread, or in a casserole. For some of us, anyway... wink
"computer program won't let me type name of nuke plant' Daiichi has a serious problem with cesium 134 in groundwater leakage ongoing. But "authorities" assure us it not confirmed to be affecting marine life...although there may be a hotspot roughly 1200 miles west of Eureka. "At this time, there is no cause for alarm". The Humboldt current for the last millennia, at least, comes from Japan to the west coast, and in 2011 the coast was showing C134 at elevated levels. Accurate data is scarce, the technology for measuring rad levels is relatively new...we don't have a baseline to tell what "elevated " means. Elevated from what? I don't think anybody knows, I sure as hell don't. I do know about 60% of the sport charter industry is gone. No bait shoals, means no fish, means no fishermen, means no charters. That is a BIG leap to make...but something is wrong in the western Pacific. If we have members in the Coos Bay, Astoria, Westport area, I'd sure love to hear their opinions.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

The hoolies I’ve had did not impress enough to name the walk to dip them.

Highest and best use? Candles! wink
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!

Yep, to be sure, some folks have some interesting ideas about how certain things should taste. And for lots of inlanders/landlockeders, it often seems that things like farmed tilapia are at the pinnacle of the delish-fish spectrum. King of the cardboard in both taste and texture, that one. smile Ate a couple bites once. Never again. Give me a simple piece of broiled or smoked mackerel, bluefish, herring or any oily fish any day. You know, the kind that actually tastes like, well, fish...

Absolutely on using smells to locate fish. You can sometimes get into water when searching for stripers on the coast, and you can 100% smell when fish are there below. Cucumber and watermelon are the two most common smells associated with fish around here. I read somewhere that certain molecules from the fish--either the fish we target themselves or that which they are pursuing and eating--are released and rise in the water column to the surface where the smell can be picked up by we two leggers.
We need to train our dogs for that kind of stuff. Put them on the bow and watch which way their noses go!
Originally Posted by ironbender

Guessing you AK folks are talking about eulachon (candle fish)? Didn't know you were still allowed to harvest them.
Posted By: sse Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/14/20
i've got bigger fish to fry...LOL
We need to train our dogs for that kind of stuff. Put them on the bow and watch which way their noses go!

I seriously want to head over to Japan to fish for bait. Heck see if I can the fish that bait eat...

Micro fishing for Tanago. Using the traditional method for Ayu fishing. Then head on up into the mountains for Amago, Yamame and Iwana. Now it seems like I'd have to try fishing for Pond Smelt...
Uhhh....what video?
Try this.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019101/
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/15/20
We used to dip them out of the St Clair river by the net fulls. Hated cleaning 5 gallon buckets full of them but they were dang tasty fried up.
When I was a kid we would net garbage cans full of them out of lake Huron just north of Saginaw bay. Sadly, zebra mussels have reduced their numbers greatly.

Imagine the phu cken' money you'd make if you could breed pointers that would point trout.

That's hilarious!

Don't try that in Maine I bet.
Kamo is right—whitefish and smelt packed fresh in the ice smell just like fresh cucumbers.

Guessing you AK folks are talking about eulachon (candle fish)? Didn't know you were still allowed to harvest them.

Yeah. The people are a hazard on turnagain arm in the spring for a couple weeks.

Yep, to be sure, some folks have some interesting ideas about how certain things should taste. And for lots of inlanders/landlockeders, it often seems that things like farmed tilapia are at the pinnacle of the delish-fish spectrum. King of the cardboard in both taste and texture, that one. smile Ate a couple bites once. Never again. Give me a simple piece of broiled or smoked mackerel, bluefish, herring or any oily fish any day. You know, the kind that actually tastes like, well, fish...

Absolutely on using smells to locate fish. You can sometimes get into water when searching for stripers on the coast, and you can 100% smell when fish are there below. Cucumber and watermelon are the two most common smells associated with fish around here. I read somewhere that certain molecules from the fish--either the fish we target themselves or that which they are pursuing and eating--are released and rise in the water column to the surface where the smell can be picked up by we two leggers.

The scent of a fresh bait slick is ANISE. I don’t know where cucumber and watermelon are coming from. Unless that’s a west coast thing. Like the nasty oysters there taste.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/15/20
Aren't farmed tilapia harvested from sewage disposal systems in third world locations?
Won't touch one nor any of the imported seafood from Asia.

g

Yeah. The people are a hazard on turnagain arm in the spring for a couple weeks.

interesting ironbender.

Seems they're off limit in Cali, but some harvest is now allowed in OR and WA. AK is always special as you well know. wink
Interesting little shelters they have. All for some little fish. But I love smelt and wish I had some now that I've seen the video.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019101/?cid=wohk-fb-org_vod_fishingcazy_ioi-202003-001%3Fcid%3Dwohk-fb-org_vod_fc_ii-202010-001&fbclid=IwAR0ZE3l2ee8IpQ76RjLw8t5FPhv6lcDArTj5xthKK_MkTfvgQ70W3VnIBGg

I am pleased they are not here for there would be nothing left in the water.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

The scent of a fresh bait slick is ANISE. I don’t know where cucumber and watermelon are coming from. Unless that’s a west coast thing. Like the nasty oysters there taste.
i got some oysters today that were from the west coast, tasted like chit.

Originally Posted by stxhunter

i got some oysters today that were from the west coast, tasted like chit.

The ones in the jar?

Knew a guy when I lived on the coast of NorCal that worked on an oyster farm. Would get gunny sacks and they were yummy. Of course, they were less than a day old.

the smell comes from when they regurgitate the bait fish the are feeding on, which also creates a slick on the water.

I guess that'd be subjective. Lots of folks who fish for bass and blues describe a sweet smell when fish were about and guess what? There's no mention of ANISE in any article or post I could find, but lots describing melons and/or cucumber.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=85423

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/286700-smelling-the-fish/

https://www.capecodsportsmen.com/bluefish-fishing-charters/

On smelt: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-fish-that-smells-like-cucumber-1.22153

I know what I smell when I smell it. But then I've only been chasing bass and the like in the ocean for 40 some years. I'll be sure to tell my nose next time it's not a melon, cucumber or other sweet organic smell I am getting, but ANISE! wink

I do agree with you for the most part on WC oysters. I've had some good ones fresh out of the ocean from CA to BC, but in general have found them less tasty than EC varieties as a whole.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I seriously want to head over to Japan to fish for bait. Heck see if I can the fish that bait eat...

Micro fishing for Tanago. Using the traditional method for Ayu fishing. Then head on up into the mountains for Amago, Yamame and Iwana. Now it seems like I'd have to try fishing for Pond Smelt...

I've river, stream, lake and ocean fished in Japan, but done not nearly enough. The bizarre 'pool fishing' in the city doesn't qualify...

I like your attitude on being willing to fish for and enjoy the chase with just about anything in the fish realm, but I draw the line at quarry in the 1-2 *cm* class. smile Not ruling it out entirely, mind, but I have tanago way low on my list. Interesting recent NHK video here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019096/

Most here other than you and maybe a few others probably aren't familiar with the traditional method of fishing for ayu, or 'sweetfish', but it's pretty cool. As you know, I'm sure, ayu are very territorial, and will vigorously attack any perceived finned intruders in their area in rivers and such. The technique that ayu fishermen use involves a hook set into another fish, ayu or otherwise. It's not intended as a hook by which the defending ayu gets stuck in his mouth as something it's trying to eat, but a hook intended to snag the 'defending' ayu as it smacks and/or smashes into the offending fish to get it out of its territory, and then gets hooked by contact. Couple vids.

I have a number of traditional bamboo rods given to me by my wife's grandmother's sister, who had them in their family home as long as she can remember, and she's in her 90s. They belonged originally to her dad, who was an avid fisherman. They're beautifully made, built very well and wear lacquer on parts. All I own are multiple-pieced with up to 6 sections. The largest I have is all of 25 feet long when assembled. I've yet to try then out fishing, but some day. A few of them, I was told, are around 100 years old. How cool would it be to catch a wild New England brookie with a 100 year old hand-made Japanese bamboo rod? Very, I think. But then I'll probably break the damn thing my first outing... smile

I was actually planning on a couple of fishing trips in Japan this year, but the C19 put the kibosh on those plans. The next time I'm over, I will be fishing, however. Thanks for the memory jog, Scott. When I do get a couple trips under my belt next time over, I'll share what I found if you like. Cheers.
Leighton,

if you ever do get one of those old rods out on the water, I definitely hope you share pics with us. That would be one of the coolest things I'd ever see.
I’ve been fishing as long as yourself, east coast of US. Lake, stream, river, ocean. Salt, fresh, ICE, brackish. It was about 20 years ago when the realization finally hit me why sooooo many plastic baits are infused with anise flavor. Yeah, I guess you do see some “watermelon” plastic baits too. But I always thought that was a color pattern - not an implanted flavor/scent. Maybe though...

It occurred to me over a massive ball of rainbow smelt getting crushed by landlocked salmon and togue. Once my nose made the connection, I started recognizing it almost anywhere large quantities of live bait were present in nature. The bait must be live, and in clean water. The essence of the aroma clearly (to me) is of anise. And fish, of course. Like I said, why else would it be probably the first and most popular scent infusion in plastic baits? Far and away. I wondered on why grandfather had “licorice” flavor rubber worms in the 70’s, almost as soon as I could start to think logically. lol.
But I will concede that most all varieties of west coast oysters I have consumed taste and smell of a mixture of various melons and/or mown grass. Not to my liking but to each their own. I think it depends on where you born and first tasted or grew up tasting. They couldn’t be more different.

Smoked hooligan is very good - head, guts and all.

Pickled and smoked herring is not to bad either.

Never tried Pacific Sand Lance (needlefish)
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/15/20
To cool Leighton!
Posted By: RDW Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/15/20

Just regular old flour, bud. If we were deep frying, then would've used panko a la tempura.

The fresh ocean run smelt we get here in winter smell, believe it or not, a bit like cucumber. Not fishy at all.

As far as the bait comments, actually, many types of smelt are indeed used all the time as bait. So yeah, smelt are bait. For those who don't know a thing about fresh ocean run smelt and eating them and how wonderful they are though are, well, your loss.

The world of fine finned eats doesn't begin and end with the likes of canned tuna sandwiches on white bread, or in a casserole. For some of us, anyway... wink

Bluegill, Redear and many other perch make excellent flathead bait and plenty of folks scoop sardines out of the can with saltines...fish is fish unless it's surrounded by fur.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Ice fishing, Japanese style - 11/15/20
do you gut them and cut off their head when you eat them ??? are they the small fish that koreans put in their Kimchee?
Leighton,

if you ever do get one of those old rods out on the water, I definitely hope you share pics with us. That would be one of the coolest things I'd ever see.

I'll do that, Geno. I have both rods and their holders, which are wood and also hand made and are very neat in their own right.
Originally Posted by Hubert
do you gut them and cut off their head when you eat them ??? are they the small fish that koreans put in their Kimchee?

Not necessary to do all that cleaning work. Don't know about fish in Kimchee.

The bait must be live, and in clean water. The essence of the aroma clearly (to me) is of anise. And fish, of course. Like I said, why else would it be probably the first and most popular scent infusion in plastic baits? Far and away. I wondered on why grandfather had “licorice” flavor rubber worms in the 70’s, almost as soon as I could start to think logically. lol.

Fair enough. Maybe my sense of smell is not as acute as yours. When I think of the smell of anise, all I can think of is a steaming hot bowl of Vietnamese pho. wink

Since you sound about the same age, you'll probably recall that some old timers would swear by spraying WD-40 on baits. Allegedly, at least at some point, that product had some sort of fish oil component in it, but I recall reading into it once and read that was a myth.

On oysters, I've done blind taste tests a bunch of times at oyster bars. As far as N/A varieties, the best I've eaten are from the east coast from the Carolinas to the Canadian Maritimes. Above and beyond always the best to my palate from this part of the world. Then those from further south and the Gulf coast rank below that. Then those from the PNW and BC. By far, however, the very best in the world I've had were from Japan's main northern island of Hokkaido. I brought back a bunch to Tokyo after a stag hunt some years ago. Mrs. KG's grandma prepared a bunch a bunch of different ways for us. Deal was that if I brought them and shucked them, she'd prepare them. Best deal I ever made. wink

Sorry for the thread derail, Geno. This dude Harry keeps getting me thinking about oysters! smile

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Neat and I'd love to try those. Those are salted/brined, however, not pickled, if I'm not mistaken.
Originally Posted by GeoW
To cool Leighton!

Thanks, GeoW. Glad you liked.

Hubert, I can't speak for others but I do gut and gill my smelt, but keep the heads. Or, I guess you could say I head them, but with my teeth, as in the one pic...

Other small fish in Japan are eaten whole. Guts, heads, gills, bones, everything and they're delicious. There's one that's a favorite that's sold/served seasonally that is whole and the prize ones loaded with eggs. They're about the size of an index finger, some a little bigger, and are traditionally broiled or grilled. Damn, what's the name of thjose little gummers now? Ah, yes, 'shishamo'! And hey, whaddaya' know. They're a type of smelt. Back on track, Geno! smile

https://www.thespruceeats.com/grilled-shishamo-smelt-2031542
Derails for oyster stories of the Japanese grandma type are always allowed on my threads.

As if I have any control anyway. I'm expecting a devolution into politics soon. Oysters are the least of my worries. And tied in with mention of a stag hunt on Hokkaido and pics...............I love it.

Someone on the food forum mentioned tortillas the other day and I had to make a batch of corn ones this morning. This thread has me wanting some fresh seafood for sure. Too bad I live a 6 hr drive from the ocean. cry
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Where do I sign up?
© 24hourcampfire