Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We need to train our dogs for that kind of stuff. Put them on the bow and watch which way their noses go!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

They are good fish, really good about once a year...

The hoolies I’ve had did not impress enough to name the walk to dip them.

Highest and best use? Candles! wink

Guessing you AK folks are talking about eulachon (candle fish)? Didn't know you were still allowed to harvest them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i've got bigger fish to fry...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We need to train our dogs for that kind of stuff. Put them on the bow and watch which way their noses go!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I seriously want to head over to Japan to fish for bait. Heck see if I can the fish that bait eat...

Micro fishing for Tanago. Using the traditional method for Ayu fishing. Then head on up into the mountains for Amago, Yamame and Iwana. Now it seems like I'd have to try fishing for Pond Smelt...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Uhhh....what video?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to dip them out of the St Clair river by the net fulls. Hated cleaning 5 gallon buckets full of them but they were dang tasty fried up.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I was a kid we would net garbage cans full of them out of lake Huron just north of Saginaw bay. Sadly, zebra mussels have reduced their numbers greatly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Imagine the phu cken' money you'd make if you could breed pointers that would point trout.

IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

That's hilarious!

Don't try that in Maine I bet.

In it is contentment

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kamo is right—whitefish and smelt packed fresh in the ice smell just like fresh cucumbers.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

Guessing you AK folks are talking about eulachon (candle fish)? Didn't know you were still allowed to harvest them.

Yeah. The people are a hazard on turnagain arm in the spring for a couple weeks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!

Yep, to be sure, some folks have some interesting ideas about how certain things should taste. And for lots of inlanders/landlockeders, it often seems that things like farmed tilapia are at the pinnacle of the delish-fish spectrum. King of the cardboard in both taste and texture, that one. smile Ate a couple bites once. Never again. Give me a simple piece of broiled or smoked mackerel, bluefish, herring or any oily fish any day. You know, the kind that actually tastes like, well, fish...

Absolutely on using smells to locate fish. You can sometimes get into water when searching for stripers on the coast, and you can 100% smell when fish are there below. Cucumber and watermelon are the two most common smells associated with fish around here. I read somewhere that certain molecules from the fish--either the fish we target themselves or that which they are pursuing and eating--are released and rise in the water column to the surface where the smell can be picked up by we two leggers.

The scent of a fresh bait slick is ANISE. I don’t know where cucumber and watermelon are coming from. Unless that’s a west coast thing. Like the nasty oysters there taste.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 11/14/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aren't farmed tilapia harvested from sewage disposal systems in third world locations?
Won't touch one nor any of the imported seafood from Asia.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Yeah. The people are a hazard on turnagain arm in the spring for a couple weeks.

interesting ironbender.

Seems they're off limit in Cali, but some harvest is now allowed in OR and WA. AK is always special as you well know. wink

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting little shelters they have. All for some little fish. But I love smelt and wish I had some now that I've seen the video.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019101/?cid=wohk-fb-org_vod_fishingcazy_ioi-202003-001%3Fcid%3Dwohk-fb-org_vod_fc_ii-202010-001&fbclid=IwAR0ZE3l2ee8IpQ76RjLw8t5FPhv6lcDArTj5xthKK_MkTfvgQ70W3VnIBGg

I am pleased they are not here for there would be nothing left in the water.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!

Yep, to be sure, some folks have some interesting ideas about how certain things should taste. And for lots of inlanders/landlockeders, it often seems that things like farmed tilapia are at the pinnacle of the delish-fish spectrum. King of the cardboard in both taste and texture, that one. smile Ate a couple bites once. Never again. Give me a simple piece of broiled or smoked mackerel, bluefish, herring or any oily fish any day. You know, the kind that actually tastes like, well, fish...

Absolutely on using smells to locate fish. You can sometimes get into water when searching for stripers on the coast, and you can 100% smell when fish are there below. Cucumber and watermelon are the two most common smells associated with fish around here. I read somewhere that certain molecules from the fish--either the fish we target themselves or that which they are pursuing and eating--are released and rise in the water column to the surface where the smell can be picked up by we two leggers.

The scent of a fresh bait slick is ANISE. I don’t know where cucumber and watermelon are coming from. Unless that’s a west coast thing. Like the nasty oysters there taste.
i got some oysters today that were from the west coast, tasted like chit.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/14/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

i got some oysters today that were from the west coast, tasted like chit.

The ones in the jar?

Knew a guy when I lived on the coast of NorCal that worked on an oyster farm. Would get gunny sacks and they were yummy. Of course, they were less than a day old.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

the smell comes from when they regurgitate the bait fish the are feeding on, which also creates a slick on the water.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/14/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,957
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.