Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting little shelters they have. All for some little fish. But I love smelt and wish I had some now that I've seen the video.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3019101/?cid=wohk-fb-org_vod_fishingcazy_ioi-202003-001%3Fcid%3Dwohk-fb-org_vod_fc_ii-202010-001&fbclid=IwAR0ZE3l2ee8IpQ76RjLw8t5FPhv6lcDArTj5xthKK_MkTfvgQ70W3VnIBGg

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All that for a bait fish?

And I thought Ice fishing for walleyes was hardcore.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
All that for a bait fish?

And I thought Ice fishing for walleyes was hardcore.

You ever have some fried smelt? I like them better than walleye I think (although I'm partial to almost any fish).

That video got me to thinking I might want to head over to the coast next year for some surf smelt fishing. But they don't get them like those Japanese folks. You get buckets of them. With a net, not no little tiny hooks!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Still have my old smelt net,used to get them by the bucket here back in the 80"s
Can still get them at the market or online,delish

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a Japanese fellow that frequents a US website dedicated to ice fishing. He posts some very interesting pictures. They do things differently over there.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rong
Still have my old smelt net,used to get them by the bucket here back in the 80"s

Yep, we used to fill buckets full off Seneca lake when I was in high school. They were some good eating!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As far as eating fried fish, agree with Geno. A meal of fresh, properly prepared smelt is hard to beat. Love them, especially those taken from the salt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by kamo_gari; 11/14/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

They are good fish, really good about once a year...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I get bigger fish that that from Calcutta.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pacific smelt have a lovely warm glow ever since the nuke plant meltdown. They are to die for.

Last edited by flintlocke; 11/14/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You would have to be pretty hungry to eat bait

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by rong

Yep, we used to fill buckets full off Seneca lake when I was in high school. They were some good eating!

Yes Sir,We didn't hit Seneca as much as Naples creek off of Ca.lake,but mostly out either Port bay or Maxwell off of Ontario.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
As far as eating fried fish, agree with Geno. A meal of fresh, properly prepared smelt is hard to beat. Love them, especially those taken from the salt.

Bastid!
grin

What'd you folks use for coating them? Rice flour? Some sort of tempura batter? Just in case I get over to the coast for some netting. I've used Italian bread crumbs, of course.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
You would have to be pretty hungry to eat bait

Is it the size of the fish?
Or how fishy it smells?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Pacific smelt have a lovely warm glow ever since the nuke plant meltdown. They are to die for.

Mmmn?

I wonder if they have an advisory on them.

In it is contentment

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What'd you folks use for coating them? Rice flour? Some sort of tempura batter? Just in case I get over to the coast for some netting. I've used Italian bread crumbs, of course.

Just regular old flour, bud. If we were deep frying, then would've used panko a la tempura.

The fresh ocean run smelt we get here in winter smell, believe it or not, a bit like cucumber. Not fishy at all.

As far as the bait comments, actually, many types of smelt are indeed used all the time as bait. So yeah, smelt are bait. For those who don't know a thing about fresh ocean run smelt and eating them and how wonderful they are though are, well, your loss.

The world of fine finned eats doesn't begin and end with the likes of canned tuna sandwiches on white bread, or in a casserole. For some of us, anyway... wink

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"computer program won't let me type name of nuke plant' Daiichi has a serious problem with cesium 134 in groundwater leakage ongoing. But "authorities" assure us it not confirmed to be affecting marine life...although there may be a hotspot roughly 1200 miles west of Eureka. "At this time, there is no cause for alarm". The Humboldt current for the last millennia, at least, comes from Japan to the west coast, and in 2011 the coast was showing C134 at elevated levels. Accurate data is scarce, the technology for measuring rad levels is relatively new...we don't have a baseline to tell what "elevated " means. Elevated from what? I don't think anybody knows, I sure as hell don't. I do know about 60% of the sport charter industry is gone. No bait shoals, means no fish, means no fishermen, means no charters. That is a BIG leap to make...but something is wrong in the western Pacific. If we have members in the Coos Bay, Astoria, Westport area, I'd sure love to hear their opinions.

Last edited by flintlocke; 11/14/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I know folks here that buy an extra freezer just for hooligan... and prefer them over all other fish.

They are good fish, really good about once a year...

The hoolies I’ve had did not impress enough to name the walk to dip them.

Highest and best use? Candles! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!

In it is contentment

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
To some in certain places, like the Midwest k_g, fish are supposed to taste like nothing, except perhaps whatever spices are in the coating they're fried in.

Funny that fish can smell like vegetables, eh? Seems some folks can find schools of sunfish by finding the cucumber smell. Or maybe it's watermelon?

Thanks for the info re: flour, just like trout up in the Sierras when I was a young man.

Eating bait? Well, I'd hate to count the number of sardines I've eaten over the year, along with a few mackerel, and the best bait in the world for largemouth and inland striped bass................planted rainbow trout!

Yep, to be sure, some folks have some interesting ideas about how certain things should taste. And for lots of inlanders/landlockeders, it often seems that things like farmed tilapia are at the pinnacle of the delish-fish spectrum. King of the cardboard in both taste and texture, that one. smile Ate a couple bites once. Never again. Give me a simple piece of broiled or smoked mackerel, bluefish, herring or any oily fish any day. You know, the kind that actually tastes like, well, fish...

Absolutely on using smells to locate fish. You can sometimes get into water when searching for stripers on the coast, and you can 100% smell when fish are there below. Cucumber and watermelon are the two most common smells associated with fish around here. I read somewhere that certain molecules from the fish--either the fish we target themselves or that which they are pursuing and eating--are released and rise in the water column to the surface where the smell can be picked up by we two leggers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 49 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,148
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.