Home
The National Rifle Association (NRA) has agreed to halt insurance business in New York for five years and will pay a $2.5 million fine over charges related to that work.

New York’s Department of Financial Services announced the settlement Wednesday with the NRA, the nation’s top gun rights advocacy group after state Attorney General Letitia James (D) sued to break up the group over corruption claims this summer.

The fine will settle charges that the group allegedly offered insurance to its members despite not having a license and often withheld information on how it kept some premiums for its own benefit.

The agreement resolved charges related to the NRA’s relationship with insurance broker Lockton Cos, which sold over 28,000 NRA-endorsed policies. Among the plans offered was the “Carry Guard” program, which state officials said illegally offered people coverage to assist with criminal defense expenses and the “intentional” use of firearms should they shoot their weapons.

Through its insurance offers, the NRA allegedly received over $1.8 million in associated royalties and fees and ultimately kept between 13.67 percent and 21.92 percent of premiums paid.

“The NRA operated as an unlicensed insurance producer and broke the New York Insurance Law by soliciting insurance products and receiving compensation,” said Superintendent of Financial Services Linda Lacewell.

“Even worse, the NRA violated the New York Insurance Law by soliciting dangerous and impermissible insurance products, including those within its Carry Guard program that purported to insure intentional acts and criminal defense costs.”

The initial civil suits filed by James in August said the NRA violated state law governing nonprofit organizations, specifically that the group and its top officials diverted millions of dollars away from its charitable mission and oversaw "a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement and negligent oversight."
phuggin NRA is the reason we lost the presidency and maybe the senate grin
Originally Posted by watch4bear
phuggin NRA is the reason we lost the presidency and maybe the senate grin

Damn bear, you’re approaching full jackwagon status.
He attained that status years ago.
Not one more dime. RA RA RA
They just keep on caving in, don't they?
NRA obviously hoped to monetize legal lawyer concierge for CCW holders, which is a good idea...because the legal fun is often worse than the shooting part.
More NRA earning your trust
Wayne certainly has his act together huh?
I’d like to see Wayne gone and the whole organization restructured but this is an extremely petty charge. In the big picture $2.5 mil isn’t a whole lot to them Vs. more lawyer fees and bad press.
Dont forget to join the NRA wine club, though. Is that still a thing? It'll probably be OK In NY... until NY decides they need a liquor license.

WTF are they even doing in obviously gun hostile NY state? I guess Wayne cant get those really nice suits or the same "quality" of young interns in West Virginia or Nebraska.

Let me know if they ever get their schittt squared away & remember their core purpose.
the NRA whine club grin
Thanks again for stabbing us in the back.

(hint- a New York Suite)
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Another one for you to fantasize about.

[Linked Image from rushlimbaugh.com]
Beat it like it owes you money!
[Linked Image from nydailynews.com]
Originally Posted by 280shooter

One of them is solidly pro gun; can you guess which one? grin there are two choices, so I'll give you 3 guesses.
You guys sure showed em. 2016 the NRA spent 57 million on trump and the republicans. This year they got nothing. Well done fellas; give each other a reach around grin
Wayne LaPierre is a Jim Bakker type piece of schit charlatan. Those who ‘believe’ in him should continue to send him money. They deserve it.
NRA should have done their homework beforehand and realized that it's pretty much illegal to do anything to help gun owners in NY state and that those parasites have a nice, much needed revenue stream coming into the state coffers thanks to all kinds of lawsuits. They'll sue anybody for anything ever since they ran the state finances about 65 billion dollars in the hole.
You guys sure showed em. 2016 the NRA spent 57 million on trump and the republicans. This year they got nothing. Well done fellas; give each other a reach around grin

We shot ourselves in the foot again. Hasbeen
We shot ourselves in the foot again.

The democrats appreciate our help. The NRA was a major obstacle.

One of them is solidly pro gun; can you guess which one? grin there are two choices, so I'll give you 3 guesses.

That would have to be the guy in the background in the white shirt.

Liiisa don’t understand the 2A.
Liiisa don’t understand the 2A.

So far so good. She knows what "shall not be infringed" means. Every vote ever cast has been solid regarding guns.

https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/issues/issues-and-priorities/second-amendment

On most everything else she is a flake.
She thinks it’s about duck hunting.

In the primary, 10? years ago, she claimed she was a better proponent of the 2nd than Mike Miller, because......
She had a hunting license and he didn’t.

Dumb bitch.
I wonder how many politicians have ever had a hunting license? Has donald?

One is weak and intimidated. She had to beaten into supporting SCOTUS. Congrats?
She had to beaten into supporting SCOTUS

Or she didn't want to write any blank checks without vetting; take your pick. She did vote to confirm in every case though grin
I wonder how many politicians have ever had a hunting license? Has donald?

Has Wayne?
LOL
Pretty simple. Wayne steps down, money starts rolling in.
Why doesn’t he do the right thing?
We didn’t do anything. This is all on WLP’s shoulders.
Check with The Whittington Center
We didn’t do anything.

Fact Pat yourself on the head grin
The NRA will not recover until King Wayne is gone.
Has Wayne?

Where's Africa?

https://www.thetrace.org/2020/01/nra-wayne-lapierre-elephant-hunt/

Did you read the article? Here are two quotes from it---
contain video footage of LaPierre firing multiple gunshots at an elephant in Botswana while attempting to kill it.

Wayne LaPierre, who has a reputation for being a bit clumsy with a gun

Quite the nimrod...
Where's Africa? Its good he didn't shoot Cecil the lion eh?

There are several things you seem to be incapable of grasping.

1. Nobody destroyed the NRA but the NRA (with a lot of help from WLP).

2. The NRA was not responsible for republicans winning elections, regardless of how much WLP wanted you to believe it or how many times he said it.

3. Campaign donations from the NRA originated from the same place that my (our) own campaign donations originate---our collective pockets. The fact that my donations did not filter through the NRA's self-serving bureaucracy did not diminish their effectiveness.

Grow a fuggin brain and start using it.
Has Wayne?
Where's Africa?https://www.thetrace.org/2020/01/nra-wayne-lapierre-elephant-hunt/
Wonder who paid for that Africa hunt? Maybe it was another foreign outreach trip? If the NRA spent all those millions in 2016, why nothing in 2020?
A normal person would get embarrassed at some point.

Photo op? You think he paid for that hunt or we did? LOL

Did you give jackmountain a reach around yet? You's guys should take full credit for the loss of valuable funding for gun loving republicans.

Lets go over it again...

58 million in 2016

nuttin in 2020

You done yourselves a solid grin 3 graders rock!

Did you give jackmountain a reach around yet? You's guys should take full credit for the loss of valuable funding for gun loving republicans.

Lets go over it again...

58 million in 2016

nuttin in 2020

With that post, you prove yourself to be a stoopidphuck. Yet again.
If you want to cut your own throat, don't come to me for a bandage. grin
We din do nuffin LMAO

Lets go over it again...
58 million in 2016
nuttin in 2020
Well, why didn't NRA make political contributions this year? Where did they spend the money?
I took the money for the NRA and gave it to Trump. I am sure millions of others did also.

Jim
Originally Posted by Hastings

Lets go over it again...
58 million in 2016
nuttin in 2020
Well, why didn't NRA make political contributions this year? Where did they spend the money?

Defending the crooked executives in court?
We din do nuffin LMAO

They didn’t do scheit to help us in Virginia back in January, except to try and hold a competing rally a week before lobby day.
All hat no ranch. Just like Wayne. All camo, no gun.

Wayne’s a “hunter” LOL
Originally Posted by texasbatman
I took the money for the NRA and gave it to Trump. I am sure millions of others did also.

Jim

GOA and VCDL
Same here. What Trump didn't get, GOA did. I'll be double and triple damned if I'm going to turn over my hard earned money to an organization having a history of giving money to the likes of Harry Reid, and then pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining when I make noise about it. This is a Life Member speaking, BTW.

I'm afraid NRA has become the thing it professed to loathe, and has therefore outlived its usefulness. That's what big money does to organizations.

Tenth Amendment Center has been right about much...I'm just afraid that the idea of invoking the Tenth Amendment is a week late and maybe five bucks short, and isn't nearly as meaningful as the Declaration of Independence is in this day and time.
watch4bear: Why didn't NRA financially support pro 2nd Amendment candidates this year?

Jim

......That's what I did this year, also.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Jim

GOA and VCDL

I am proud to say that I belong to both and donated to each. Good people.

Jim
Originally Posted by Hastings
watch4bear: Why didn't NRA financially support pro 2nd Amendment candidates this year?
?Well?
Moar red meat for the baying mob:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/na...-insurance-violation-case/#axzz6eG9Efrn2

National Rifle Association Settles New York Insurance Violation Case for $2.5M

The settlement does not get NRA out of trouble in New York, however.

The organization is still in the crosshairs of New York Attorney General Letitia James, who sued earlier this year to have the NRA dissolved. NRA was founded in New York State in 1871, making the association subject to New York state law.

According to The Guardian, the insurance lawsuit settlement “resolved charges over the NRA’s two-decade relationship with insurance broker Lockton Cos, including the sale of 28,015 policies to New Yorkers and the NRA’s receipt of more than $1.8m in associated royalties and fees.”

The NRA had endorsed “certain insurance products offered by Lockton Affinity” including the Carry Guard insurance. NRA received “substantial compensation” for endorsing these “insurance products,” the ABC story noted.

Carry Guard was launched in 2017 at a time when there was a growing interest in similar efforts. As recalled by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and Associated Press, gun control advocates quickly labeled such programs as “murder insurance.”

There has always been considerable irony in this because among the demands of anti-gunners over the years was one specifically aimed at mandating insurance for gun owners. When programs such as Carry Guard were created, however, the gun prohibition lobby began howling.

While it did settle and will pay the fine, NRA did not admit wrongdoing, a fact noted by the Guardian’s coverage of the settlement. Also, NRA said it didn’t underwrite its insurance programs.

Lockton Affinity was reportedly fined $7 million as part of the same investigation.

The Star-Tribune referred to an email from William A. Brewer III, NRA’s attorney, which asserted, “The DFS inquiry, which began with a roar, ends with a whimper.” He said no NRA member money will be used to pay the settlement.

The consent order settling the case was signed a week ago, according to published reports, and only announced Wednesday.

The NRA has been under fire for the past couple of years, with allegations of spending improprieties and no small amount of intrigue beginning with the abrupt resignation of Lt. Col. Oliver North as association president as the annual members’ meeting and convention was about to open in Indianapolis in an apparent dispute with Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. At the time, there were allegations of an attempted “coup” effort to remove LaPierre, who has been at the NRA helm for more than two decades and remains there today.

The ongoing legal action by Attorney General James is detailed in the 164-page complaint, which may be read here. She began investigating NRA in February 2019, a move NRA members and supporters have called purely political.

In a prepared statement released in early August as she filed the lawsuit, James asserted, “The NRA’s influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets. The NRA is fraught with fraud and abuse, which is why, today, we seek to dissolve the NRA, because no organization is above the law.”

Among the allegations spelled out in the complaint and James’ statement are that four current or past NRA officials named as defendants “failed to fulfill their fiduciary duty to the NRA and used millions upon millions from NRA reserves for personal use, including trips for them and their families to the Bahamas, private jets, expensive meals, and other private travel.”
© 24hourcampfire