Home

Maybe bird feeders are Bear Pinatas ?

It just seems odd they’d like bird seed, I know they like grubs and honey, but bird seed ?
NO bears down here on the flats where I live.

The deer get after the bird feeder at times though.
Keeps them regular?
Bears eat anything! They even like motor oil! Had one raid a logging site years ago, bit into and drank a gallon of oil! I always wondered how long it took to send that out the other end!
Very common where I live against the foothills in Colorado.

Both bear and elk will annihilate a bird feeder if given the chance.

When they are packing on pounds getting ready to hibernate or survive winter, every calorie counts. We have had elk walk through our front yard and eat suet we left out for birds in the dead of winter.
They are omnivores - will eat anything they can outrun or dig up.
Pure-dee hell on my mom's hummingbird feeders, years back - slap 'em and lick the juice off the sidewalk!
seen one rooting through trash eating ladies bloody rags, yuk sick
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/19/20
Because they can't go to the store and buy Grape Nuts.
because they can.
They can't compete in the woods with the Sasquatches?
Posted By: Dess Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/19/20
Because corn and peanuts weren't available....

Bears eat anything.
Lipids and protein.
They hungry
Bears are just large Racoons with no tail.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

It just seems odd they’d like bird seed, I know they like grubs and honey, but bird seed ?

Heh !
I’d also ask why they eat the seat off of a ATV.

Twice.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Heh !
I’d also ask why they eat the seat off of a ATV.

Twice.

Schweddy balls.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
They are omnivores - will eat anything they can outrun or dig up.

Bingo! smile
Bears can’t read!!!!!

Especially those from Chicago!
I've seen birds into bear s**t. Taken back what is theirs.
I saw a guy eating the berries out of grizzly crap on youtube once. He was a survivalist. The video is out there. I can't find it.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Bears eat anything! They even like motor oil! Had one raid a logging site years ago, bit into and drank a gallon of oil! I always wondered how long it took to send that out the other end!

Yes. I talked to a camp owner once and he said he poured bacon grease on a pile of woodchips and the bears ate the woodchips.
Posted By: 673 Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/19/20
I have seen them with garbage bags hanging out of their ass, is there anything they won't eat?

Don’t know but it sure came out easily 😀
Originally Posted by OldHat
I saw a guy eating the berries out of grizzly crap on youtube once. He was a survivalist. The video is out there. I can't find it.

Won’t be needing to go look for that!
I've seen birds into bear s**t. Taken back what is theirs.

Had one take a monster dump in our driveway late spring, damned stuff looked like the top of a nutty buddy ice cream cone.
Lab pup ate every bit of it at about 4pm.
I kept her out until about 10PM, nothing.
She held it in until 3AM..... sick sick

Yes. I talked to a camp owner once and he said he poured bacon grease on a pile of woodchips and the bears ate the woodchips.

So if you want to get rid of something just pour bacon grease on it?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

So if you want to get rid of something just pour bacon grease on it?

Probably don't even need bears around for that to work.
I found one of them, Bear grylls

Bears in Juneau come right into town in broad daylight and walk around. I was in the barber shop once during peak tourist season and a bear comes walking down the street and peple are freaking out. This is right downtown Juneau.

Bear grylls is a serious dumbass!
I'd really like to see a list of things a bear ***won't*** eat.
Camping in Ontario bears ate our toothpaste , deodorant and chewed the coal oil lamps .
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

Here is my list:

That’s about it.

Bird seed smells like beer to them.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Sevastopol

I think that you already made it with this post.
Posted By: las Re: Why do bears eat bird seed ? - 11/20/20

What Bender said. - even if they don't eat it, they will bite it. At an alpine lake here on the Peninsula, someone had flown in a plastic canoe, which I would use whenever I went there. After a couple years, a bear bit into it. Made a dandy livebox while I was using it fishing for rainbows in the lake. did have to bail once in awhile, or I couldn't re-catch the fish in the canoe.

At one time, I had a couple cases of 30wt within bear reach at my remote cabin. The old cardboard quarts. And some 2 cycle in plastic quarts, both of which a bear or bears liked to sample.

Fixed that by leaving a couple cans of aerosol bug spray in there with them. IIRC, only one of the bug spray was ever bitten, and that was the end of losing oil to the bear bites.

I now keep all such things above reach -after a bear bit into a 5 gal plastic can of gasoline. My watch bear that beds under the cabin overhang when I'm not there doesn't bother the metal stuff, tho he did crimp the propane line to unusability between this last summer and the summer before. Not on purpose- he was just trying to get into the cabin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They eat all kinds of weird chit. Chain saw bar oil. Yep they love it. I sweeten up salt piles at trail cams with kool aid the scent attracts the deer and they find the salt quicker. First pics every year though are bears. They don't come back though not in to salt.
Birdseed is high quality food us humans didn't spend all day beating wheat stalks by hand centuries ago cause it was fun. Once bears get a taste for bird seed you will not get rid of them unless you get rid of the bird feeder or get rid of the bear they just love it.
so they can schit in the woods
Because they want to fly.
© 24hourcampfire