Home
Posted By: Salty303 A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Is not really a thing up here chili is popular and pea soup for cold schitty weather. I remember my uncle making Boston Beans, lots of molasses and sweet but that's not what I want to try to make, I want some cowboy style Blazing Saddles beans. lol
I hear you guys talk about it from time to time so help a foreigner out here please, looking for directions for a big old pot of pinto beans southern style. I know basically you add a big chunk of meat, spices and cook it slow? I've got a slow cooker if that helps. TIA.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Go buy 5 different types of dried beans and a ham hock, soak the beans for 24 hours and throw the ham hock in there and cook real low and slow for 16 hours. Thank me later.
Posted By: 19rabbit52 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Southern style, simply beans, salt pepper to your taste and meat. The meat could be bacon, ham hock, a ham bone, my favorite a piece of salt pork or heart healthy olive oil. Just need 4-5 oz. of meat or 3-4 table spoons of olive oil. Cook till beans are soft. Watery or thick, cook to the way you like. Eat with corn bread and raw onion for real hillbilly style eating.
Posted By: OldHat Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I like beans in any form. The best though is in some sweet dish. My wife makes something called Calico Beans. Cooked, sweet with beef. Can't tell you the recipe. I don't cook, ever.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Hmmm, local grocery had smoked ham hocks today before I had this brain wave may go that route. Thinking of doing this Sunday. Thanks fellas any more idears out there I'm all ears..
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I'm also a fan of beans.
Like anything, they need to be cooked right.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Don't forget to add a chopped onion and maybe a little garlic to the beans as they are cooking. If you want them a bit spicy, throw in a jalapeno, either whole or sliced/chopped, or some red pepper flakes. Some say to withhold salt until they are nearly done and others say to add it as they are cooking as needed. I don't think it makes any difference, myself.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20

Good bean recipes in this book:

http://www.paracay.com/cast-iron-cuisine-from-breakfast-to-dessert/
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
15 bean soup with ham. Do not forget the cornbread.
Posted By: 700LH Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Made a pot of pintos this week, she made cornbread, they really hit the spot, think I enjoyed it as much as a good steak.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Ham and bean soup done right is a favorite of mine and yes it needs to be served with corn bread.
A good smoked ham hock, onion, carrots and some celery. Touch of garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Oh and of course beans
Posted By: ironbender Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I enjoy this recipe for pintos.

Soak the beans overnight or cheat and use canned.
Add a ham bone for sure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
And this is why I keep telling Rick that we need a food forum!
😏🤔
Posted By: MadMooner Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/07/pinto-beans-aaron-franklin-barbecue.html
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Just polished off a bowl of red lentils.
Recipe.......go grab a pen.

Water...enough to have a little bit of broth after beans cook

IF you like it spicy and more flavor, add one habanero pepper

Crush lots of garlic

Slice or chop fresh ginger fine

Boil one or more sweet potatoes until nearly cooked through

Add sausage

Tablespoon of molasses to barely taste

Add red lentil and stir till they settle below potatoes.

Bring back to boil

Add garlic

Leave lid on and turn off heat.

Should be ready to eat in 15-20 minutes

It's delicious over crunchy raw vegetables chopped up in the bowl. Use either diced sweet onion, peppers, carrot chunks, raddishes, green beans, sugar snap peas..... anything.
Use a spoon for broth.

Posted By: slumlord Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I dont like beans in my beans

Oh wait, that sounds retarded

I must be mocking people again.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
However you cook the beans they’ll be better everyday you reheat them until they’re gone.
They keep giving me lentils and split pea down nar at the foodbank.

*gag*

I really only go there for the day-old German bakery pastries and artisan bread
Trade the lentils for .22rf
Posted By: sse Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by ironbender
And this is why I keep telling Rick that we need a food forum!
😏🤔

right in front of yer nose
Posted By: EdM Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
A big fan of charros. Had a small bowl today at a taqueria.
Posted By: Morewood Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Standard fare of my childhood was a pot of pintos and hamhocks. Corn bread and fried potatoes crisp. Onion on the side raw.

Coincidentally, I have some beans soaking right now. A medley of pinto, red, pink, navy, and great Northern with a hint of a big ol honkin smoked shank.
Yall keep on with this hamhock talk

I’ll have to pick some collards out back in the yard. Trying to save on my terlot paper though.
Posted By: benquick Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Beans are healthy esp. if paired with rice which endows it with a complete protein profile. I eat them regularly. To avoid becoming a mobile gas producer soak and rinse before cooking. I used to use a crock pot but LOVE the instant pot now. Cuts cooking time down to 25% and it is press and forget.
Posted By: captbutch Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
One of my favorite meals! I like to add some cole slaw to to my bowl of beans and cornbread.Good stuff!
Posted By: ledvm Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Use only pinto beans. Soak overnight. Discard soak water, rinse them, then put them in your slow-cooker in the morning. Add water until covered by an inch. Add enough strips of bacon to about cover the top of the beans. Coarse grind black pepper on top until the water is covered. Don’t stir...just cover and turn on cooker. If gonna leave all day for supper—low. If you want to eat in 3-4 hours—high. When you almost ready to eat...stir them and sample the broth. Add enough salt so that the broth is the right salty for you just before you eat them.

This is the general purpose variety. I do a few different flavored varieties as well. Might post them later.
Ok I'm starting to get the picture here. I like some spice so definitely going to steal some ideas on that. Chicken stock we've got I'll hit up dude down the road in the morning for a smoked hock and some dry beans kind of like the blend idea, we'll see.

And Slum parking the crown Vic with 22s and spinners out front of the food bank looking for yuppy bread is a little tacky, even for you. LOL
Big squirt of Louisiana Hot Sauce

The smoked ham hock takes care of everything else

You dont need all that turmeric with CoQ10, diamond and silk, koser garlic and all that other associate horse shĂŽt
Run by fuddruckers and grab a pound of that McCormick flake sea salt of the table. Shove in the old lady’s purse.
Originally Posted by ledvm
Use only pinto beans. Soak overnight. Discard soak water, rinse them, then put them in your slow-cooker in the morning. Add water until covered by an inch. Add enough strips of bacon to about cover the top of the beans. Coarse grind black pepper on top until the water is covered. Don’t stir...just cover and turn on cooker. If gonna leave all day for supper—low. If you want to eat in 3-4 hours—high. When you almost ready to eat...stir them and sample the broth. Add enough salt so that the broth is the right salty for you just before you eat them.

This is the general purpose variety. I do a few different flavored varieties as well. Might post them later.

That'd be great ledym
Originally Posted by slumlord
Run by fuddruckers and grab a pound of that McCormick flake sea salt of the table. Shove in the old lady’s purse.

Maybe I'll take her out for breakfast tomorrow Ricky's got salt and Louisiana Hot Sauce too. I'll take her purse for her so she's not cramped in the booth
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Sow belly youse jackwagons.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Haven't seen much of that around here lately other than bacon which is a national security item, I heard some beefy Rancher down Montana way has 2/3 of the rest of world's supply stored up wink
I do in fact have more than my share of salt pork stored in the freezer....but I am sure Hormel would be happy to send you some.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Salty303
Hmmm, local grocery had smoked ham hocks today before I had this brain wave may go that route. Thinking of doing this Sunday. Thanks fellas any more idears out there I'm all ears..

Forget the hocks. Get shanks.

More meat on them. Better result.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I have been told if you put a whole carrot in with the beans it will absorb the gas and you won't have flatulence. Do not under any circumstances eat the carrot.

Smoked jowl, don’t mind the mold

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have been told if you put a whole carrot in with the beans it will absorb the gas and you won't have flatulence. Do not under any circumstances eat the carrot.

Farts are best part, special payback for old people that freely let their SBDs go in church....disgusting boomers!! Grrrr!!
The hell man, you guys get all the fancy cuts bellies, jowls, shanks. Pretty sure in this once horse town I'm stuck with hocks I'll see tomorrow.
Kaywoodie knows about beans....but he is hunting.
stxhunter too I think but he's probably out chasing young puzzy
It chases him!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
[Linked Image from bulkzon.com]

add:
1/2 cup ground cooked venison
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/8 cup chopped frozen spinach
1/8 cup frozen kale
1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco sauce

stir

3:30 in a 1200 Watt microwave

Eat
Posted By: BeanMan Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Freshly harvested pintos don’t need to be soaked overnight. After they are 6 months old or so they do, the complex sugars turn into complex starches.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
thank me later.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/07/pinto-beans-aaron-franklin-barbecue.html
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Good pot of beans require some porker products.
Side dishes: Cornbread, Fried Spuds, Greens..

I cooked a pot last week. There was no complaining.

Yummy!

Is barrow belly ok?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Posted By: JSTUART Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by mirage243
Go buy 5 different types of dried beans and a ham hock, soak the beans for 24 hours and throw the ham hock in there and cook real low and slow for 16 hours. Thank me later.

As a service to my community I opt to not eat beans.
Posted By: TheKid Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Step one is to buy and eat a ham. Save the rind and bone from the ham.
If you want to use a crockpot or just a pot on the stove soak your beans overnight and rinse two or three times under cold running water.

If you have an InstantPot soaking won’t hurt but isn’t required though they still need rinsed and counted. ( Counting the beans is a family joke since my uncle saw my grandmother sorting the rocks out of beans and assumed she was counting them).

Put your ham bone and scraps in your pot and dump the beans in. Put a can of chicken broth in and then water to cover the beans by a couple inches. Salt to taste.

If pressure cooking set your pot for 1 hour and lock it up. Otherwise bring to a boil and reduce to simmering. Simmer until beans are tender and soup thickens. In the instant pot turn it to warm after the timer is up and let it relieve pressure naturally.

Serve with salty iron skillet cornbread and a chopped sweet onion.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Pinto beans soaked over night then cooked all day with salt pork and some bacon grease. Corn bread made in a cast iron skillet. Grew up eating them.

Ron
Originally Posted by TheKid
Step one is to buy and eat a ham. Save the rind and bone from the ham.
If you want to use a crockpot or just a pot on the stove soak your beans overnight and rinse two or three times under cold running water.

If you have an InstantPot soaking won’t hurt but isn’t required though they still need rinsed and counted. ( Counting the beans is a family joke since my uncle saw my grandmother sorting the rocks out of beans and assumed she was counting them).

Put your ham bone and scraps in your pot and dump the beans in. Put a can of chicken broth in and then water to cover the beans by a couple inches. Salt to taste.

If pressure cooking set your pot for 1 hour and lock it up. Otherwise bring to a boil and reduce to simmering. Simmer until beans are tender and soup thickens. In the instant pot turn it to warm after the timer is up and let it relieve pressure naturally.

Serve with salty iron skillet cornbread and a chopped sweet onion.

Don’t forget home made sweet pickles
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
We like most any beans, but prefer navy beans,
for a pot with ham.

I enjoy pintos out of a can or just cooked and eatin in a bowl.

Two recipes below are used to make been soup for the US Senate.
Offered daily, it an interesting tradition.

Have wanted to try one of these for a long time. Never got around to it.
The second one intrigues me. But I'm not making 5 gallon.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
2 pounds dried navy beans
four quarts hot water
1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.[2]

Bean Soup Recipe (for five gallons)
3 pounds dried navy beans
2 pounds of ham and a ham bone
1 quart mashed potatoes
5 onions, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
four cloves garlic, chopped
half a bunch of parsley, chopped
Clean the beans, then cook them dry. Add ham, bone and water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour before serving.[
Posted By: sse Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20

somebody say cowboy beans...?

Thanks everyone I was pretty sure I'd get the intel here and I sure did, much obliged.

Picked up two smoked pork hocks and some pinto beans today. And some corn meal for my wife who's going to do the corn bread. I'll soak the beans tonight reread this tomorrow and firm up a plan. I will definitely try this with smoked brisket another time that sounds deadly but not in the cards this time. Looking forward to tomorrow cool
Posted By: mirage243 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Your house might smell like a sewage treatment plant for a couple of days. 🤣🤣
Posted By: gunzo Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I like the cornbread pancake style.

I crumble a piece of it on my plate & pour the beans on top. I might enhance w/fresh onion or dice peppers or the hot sauce of choice. But I never try to overpower the taste of the beans & cornbread base with a bunch of other spices or flavors.

It's really about the beans. They're so good by themselves when prepared well.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
Great navy beans seem gasy
to me.
Posted By: aspade Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/21/20
I make mine as meat with beans and not vice versa and straight ham is way too salty if you've got more than a couple of chunks in there. So I'll throw in the ham bone and then fortify the pot with a couple extra pounds of chopped brisket, pulled pork shoulder, chuck roast, etc. Even white meat chicken is edible with a decent stock to help it along.

Don't be shy with garden peppers, onions, and jalapenos either.

Posted By: Salty303 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/22/20

I find with any other beans as long as they're rinsed really good after soaking the flatulence isn't too bad. We'll see how it goes wish me luck. lol
Posted By: Salty303 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Boom!

Lots left for tomorrow. I used chili powder, crushed garlic, oregano, cummin, coriander and a big ass jalapeno seeded pulp removed. Might use two next time it was quite tame. Raw onions and corn bread with the big bowl I just scarfed. I will do this again cool cool
Posted By: Hubert Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Is this a cooking show...
Posted By: ironbender Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Boom!

Lots left for tomorrow. I used chili powder, crushed garlic, oregano, cummin, coriander and a big ass jalapeno seeded pulp removed. Might use two next time it was quite tame. Raw onions and corn bread with the big bowl I just scarfed. I will do this again cool cool

👍👍
Ya done good.
Posted By: 16penny Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
If you live above 3500 ft use a pressure cooker
Posted By: Redneck Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Leroy?????
Posted By: OldHat Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Boom!

Oh, that looks good. This thread deserves a bump!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Being old, lazy, pretty much incompetent at everything, and increasingly unwilling to mess around with things that frustrate me, I have given up on dried beans.
Posted By: irfubar Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Boom!

Is cooking the beans in a galvanized feed bucket part of the secret recipe? smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Van Camps up there game to your satisfaction yet?
Van Camps has very poor quality control of their pork and beans; they are often mush. Fareway and ALDI's store brand are much better. As to other beans, there are many, many acceptable brands of canned beans that work well, none of this having to soak, rinse, soak, rinse, pick through for rocks, and then wind up with beans that are still too hard after hours of cooking,
Ok Boomer..... laugh
Posted By: chris_c Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Van Camps has very poor quality control of their pork and beans; they are often mush. Fareway and ALDI's store brand are much better. As to other beans, there are many, many acceptable brands of canned beans that work well, none of this having to soak, rinse, soak, rinse, pick through for rocks, and then wind up with beans that are still too hard after hours of cooking,

I soak, rinse, add water, boil 12 minutes and into a pot in the oven, no hard beans
Posted By: OldHat Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20

I found a stone in a can of bush's backed beans. About the size of a dime.
Wow!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Posted By: stxhunter Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
always check beans for rocks.
Posted By: Eric308 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Once my Dad and I finished digging a grave (we did it part time, some cemeteries do not want equipment rutting their ground, plus a hand dug grave is neater) and the American Legion Post next to the cemetery had a roaster full of ham and beans, free, for lunch. It was a cold dreary day, I was starving, and that bowl of ham and beans was the best thing ever. Some great recipes here. I agree don't forget the cornbread.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
If you cook your beans and have a lot of liquid in the pot try this old fashioned tip.
Break open 2-3 eggs and add about 1/3rd cup of flour and some salt and pepper to taste. Add more flour a little at a time until you reach the consistency of soft cookie dough. Use a spoon and drop small amounts into the simmering pot. In a couple of minutes you will have some of the best dumplings you ever ate. Where we grew up these were called rivels.
Posted By: old70 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20

I find with any other beans as long as they're rinsed really good after soaking the flatulence isn't too bad. We'll see how it goes wish me luck. lol

My mom used to call that soaking the farts out of the beans. I miss her bean and ham soup.

Old70
Posted By: Salty303 Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
Boom!

Is cooking the beans in a galvanized feed bucket part of the secret recipe? smile

LOL! Started in the slow cooker and went hunting got back near supper time and there was still cooking to be done and quite a bit of liquid to reduce. So I poured it into a stainless pot and put it on the stove to speed things up. Should have started on high with the slow cooker got it hot then turned it down i guess.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
I'm told your water has a lot to do with beans becoming soft with soaking. I have to use soda to get beans soft.
Posted By: ironbender Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Don’t conflate bean soup with a pot o’beans.
Posted By: smokepole Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don’t conflate bean soup with a pot o’beans.

I tell you what, if I have either I pretty much conflate all night.

I think it's what you call "conflatulence."
Originally Posted by OldHat

I found a stone in a can of bush's backed beans. About the size of a dime.

Not a fan of Bush's either - cantankerous old fart I am.
Posted By: slumlord Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/24/20
Beans from a can? Ewww!!

tree frogs, pigeon crap, band aids, wad of groid pubes, random finger
Posted By: stxhunter Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If you cook your beans and have a lot of liquid in the pot try this old fashioned tip.
Break open 2-3 eggs and add about 1/3rd cup of flour and some salt and pepper to taste. Add more flour a little at a time until you reach the consistency of soft cookie dough. Use a spoon and drop small amounts into the simmering pot. In a couple of minutes you will have some of the best dumplings you ever ate. Where we grew up these were called rivels.

I use masa.
Posted By: irfubar Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
Boom!

LOL! Started in the slow cooker and went hunting got back near supper time and there was still cooking to be done and quite a bit of liquid to reduce. So I poured it into a stainless pot and put it on the stove to speed things up. Should have started on high with the slow cooker got it hot then turned it down i guess.

Crap... now you tell me... I rinsed out my bucket, started the beans .... then wifey jumped my schit ... I told her Salty at the campfire does it this way..... now I have to sleep on the couch... thanks Salty
Posted By: gunzo Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/24/20
OK, gotta spew my opinion. If you enjoyed them Salty, great!

But;

That's the driest pot of beans I've ever seen, bean soup is usually the goal, or so I thought. That's where the cornbread comes in.

And.... for your first time, why 5 or 6 spices. Beans cooked with a cured hock need so little else. That always seemed to be the beauty of them, wonderful down home flavors that don't need to be Mexican, Indian, or Oriental.

Just an observation, I see so many supposedly good steaks with stuff poured over them & I wonder what's wrong with the steak. A good one will stand on it's own. Beans with a hock will too. Just another of my a-hole opinions, but knowing what a food taste like is first, adding your preferable spice mix, or not, comes the next time. Those poor beans cry LOL
Posted By: stxhunter Re: A Pot of Beans? - 11/24/20
salt pepper garlic is all you need.
© 24hourcampfire