Home
Anyone make carnitas in the pressure cooker? Looking at grabbing a couple pork shoulders from Costco. Either going to make a chili verde or make some meat for carnitas. I hear the meat keeps very well in the freezer.
Posted By: 805 Re: Instant Pot Pork Carnitas - 11/21/20
I’ve made them a few times. Turns out really good. Usually just crisp up the meat on the flat top with some oil.
For chili verde, I don't want it like shredded meat in the stew. So, I'm thinking about starting with the pork cut in quarters and cooked in the Instant Pot. Then, I might put it in the frig overnight to "solidify" the fats and make it easier to cut into about 1 inch cubes. Then I was going to sear those cubes in a frying pan before putting them in the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
Originally Posted by 805
I’ve made them a few times. Turns out really good. Usually just crisp up the meat on the flat top with some oil.

Seems like it would be convenient to pressure cook the meat and roughly shred it. Then portion it out in plastic bags and throw them in the freezer. Throw a bag in the frig the day before you want to use the meat, put the meat under the broiler to crisp the outside, and poof, easy tacos.
Posted By: Steve Re: Instant Pot Pork Carnitas - 11/21/20
They can well, too.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../14205130/re-canned-carnitas-are-the-bom

I like that Steve. Cook and store at the same time! I bet whatever ingredients you have in there infuse great into the meat.
Posted By: brassman Re: Instant Pot Pork Carnitas - 11/21/20
Costco has the 505 hatch chiles in the large jar- My wife used that and a pork shoulder in the crock pot. Came out unreal. I ate that for a week over rice, tortillas, ect. I went back and bought 6 more jars so we can make it several more times. Chile's are located next to the salsa. Great deal for 9. a jar. They have some heat!!
Originally Posted by brassman
Costco has the 505 hatch chiles in the large jar- My wife used that and a pork shoulder in the crock pot. Came out unreal. I ate that for a week over rice, tortillas, ect. I went back and bought 6 more jars so we can make it several more times. Chile's are located next to the salsa. Great deal for 9. a jar. They have some heat!!

Gonna get some of that tomorrow πŸ‘
Posted By: 16penny Re: Instant Pot Pork Carnitas - 11/21/20
Damn I pay $30 for a large gunnysack full of hatch green chili locally at the roadside vendors or $20 a box at the local grocery stores I like the roadside guy better because he does a better job roasting them on his hand crank roaster as he lets them sit stationary every so often while roasting we haven’t had any piΓ±on locally for several years though
Dozen 24oz jars of pork chilli verde today πŸ‘

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Looks like 11 jars. wink
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Looks like 11 jars. wink

Already had lunch 😝