Home
Posted By: las gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Google research has me not much farther ahead than before I started, as to either psi needed or reliable brands. I have eliminated a couple brands from reviews. (and there may be a reason they are on Craigslist....)

I'll be washing cars frequently , doing sidewalks, blasting out mud from the ATVs, and prepping wood siding for re-staining. Wife wants to retain basic same color on the siding, only lighter (It's pretty dark brown now.)

I know Dewalt 3000 or higher will do it, but kinda spendy, and I don't need contractor grade stuff. Probably...

I'm hesitent to buy anything used, except maybe Dewalt, and I don't see many of those.

What PSI/gpm should I be considering, particularly the psi - how low can I go on this and get the job done? I'm thinking probably not under 2500?

Brands? Not paying shipping from Amazon or E-bay (if even avail to AK) so forget that.

I'm looking maybe Ryobi from local HD - especially if a Black Friday deal. There's a couple 3K in stock , more in Anchorage - 150 miles away.

Your input positive and negative is welcomed.

This would be cold water, only.

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
They are all basically the same...in my experience.

Gpm also matters a great deal.

Big pressure with low gpm is gayer'n aids.

I like honda motors.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
If you're not using it frequently then anything powered by a Honda GC 190 will do just fine. It will last for years. Here is a link to pressure washer direct. I had a pressure washer powered by a 7 hp Subaru industrial engine and Cat 5 pump and I sold it and recently tried an el cheapo powered by the Honda GC 190. Honestly, I couldn't tell an appreciable difference between the two.

https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/power/honda-gc190-engine-pressure-washers.html
Posted By: NVhntr Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Agree with the above. Whatever brand you get with a Honda motor should be good. If it's going to sit long between uses be sure to run the gas out of it for storage.
Posted By: KFWA Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
I have a GC190

I bought it at an auction site, site unseen. Got it home and the engine was locked up. Took it apart, got a rachet on it and unseized the motor. Poured some oil in it, it started on the 5th or 6th crank. Been using it regularly, always started on the second pull now. Doesn't smoke or burn oil.
Posted By: badger Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Only advice I have is, be careful with anything over 2000psi. Very easy to blow paint off siding and vehicles.
Posted By: chris_c Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by las
Google research has me not much farther ahead than before I started, as to either psi needed or reliable brands. I have eliminated a couple brands from reviews. (and there may be a reason they are on Craigslist....)

I'll be washing cars frequently , doing sidewalks, blasting out mud from the ATVs, and prepping wood siding for re-staining. Wife wants to retain basic same color on the siding, only lighter (It's pretty dark brown now.)

I know Dewalt 3000 or higher will do it, but kinda spendy, and I don't need contractor grade stuff. Probably...

I'm hesitent to buy anything used, except maybe Dewalt, and I don't see many of those.

What PSI/gpm should I be considering, particularly the psi - how low can I go on this and get the job done? I'm thinking probably not under 2500?

Brands? Not paying shipping from Amazon or E-bay (if even avail to AK) so forget that.

I'm looking maybe Ryobi from local HD - especially if a Black Friday deal. There's a couple 3K in stock , more in Anchorage - 150 miles away.

Your input positive and negative is welcomed.

This would be cold water, only.

Bought a dewalt years ago with a honda motor. No problems, just gave it to my son. (can get it back if I need it)
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Honda engine and CAT pump.

You can rebuild it.

Years back i bought a pressure washer from HD. Honda engine but a non serviceable pump.

Still got a good motor....

Of doing something hard to damage, concrete, bricks....

Get on of the Turbo rotating nozzles......
Posted By: jackmountain Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Same as above. Make sure it has a Cat brand pump. If it has a Honda gx180 even better.
Have an old dewalt plus another I can’t recall the name of but I bought it at Virginia pressure washer.
Posted By: cclarkblues Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Used a Honda on decks, furniture, etc. this summer worked great. Think our contractor got it at Sam's Club for under $200.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
If you’re in an area with freezing temps they make some winterizer you hook up to the hose inlet and spray in it. I run non ethanol in all our small engines if possible.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
We have a Work Pro MiTM brand(?), it's out in the garage. 200 Honda GX engine, runs great, 5-6 years old.

When winterizing we cycle RV antifreeze through the pump. Let it pressure up, spray a couple seconds, repeat a few times.
I’ve had a vortexx for a couple years now, 4000 psi,4gpm. Does good on anything from washing a truck to washing the concrete drive off.
https://vortexxpressurewashers.com/product/professional-4000-psi-pressure-washer/

Ronnie
Posted By: slumlord Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Had an old codger call my office one day wanted to know why all of his neighbors needed “water pressure intensification devices” to wash their pickups and driveways. Because in Arizona where he previously lived, his shower would peel the skin off his back.

Guess he never lived next to a bunch of folks that like to keel their homes and vehicles clean.

Posted By: slumlord Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If you’re in an area with freezing temps they make some winterizer you hook up to the hose inlet and spray in it. I run non ethanol in all our small engines if possible.

I bring mine in and park it under the mini pool table

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: las Re: gas pressure washers - 11/22/20
And the rifle is for if it pisses you off? smile
Posted By: RJY66 Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by las

I use a pressure washer occasionally for paint prep, cleaning the boat, driveway, wash down house, etc. Mine is 2600 at 2.3 gpm, low end Honda motor that I picked up used from a neighbor. It probably came from one of the big box stores. I'm happy with it.....seems plenty. It will certainly peel failed paint and grime for paint prep with a 25 degree nozzle, and with a zero degree nozzle maybe bore a hole in a sidewalk.

I had a guy who uses pressure washers in his business tell me that the big box units with the throw away pumps last about 1000 hours and that I needed to spend a pile on a commercial grade machine or just rent one. He would fit right in around here! 1000 hours is a loooong time when you only use it once in a while.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

I bring mine in and park it under the mini pool table

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

John Deere pressure washer ??????????

Damm.........

Gotta call the neighbor girl....she's 18 now........

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/26/49/5c/26495ca7c7637338a02c2b6c6e8dabb0.jpg?b=t[/img]
Posted By: las Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
If she needs a pressure washer you better pass that one by.

Stick withe tractor models. smile
Posted By: 257James Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
What ever brand you get make sure it has a Triplex pump on it, stay away from the Axial Cam pumps.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
I have a 2005 Troy-Bilt Briggs and Stratton still going strong. Bought a spare water pump for it 5+ years ago for it just in case. Still haven't put it on. As with anything maintenance is the key. 2700psi.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Jake has one he let freeze, whoops.
Posted By: hanco Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Wifey has s Troy-built, works well.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
I agree with the honda part, the nothing over 2400 or 2500 psi for what you are doing, and the triplex pump. I had a concrete business years ago now, though I still clean and seal stuff and I clean the equipment on the farm here. The little honda washers I have owned were the [bleep]! And don't loan it out!
Posted By: las Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jake has one he let freeze, whoops.

That's what heated garages are for. I did put 60/40 antifreeze in the new/used ATV that will go outside for the rest of the winter once I get the new shock and the various removed parts back on. Waiting for the shock. (reordered) - maybe by Friday.

Tho I don't expect for it to drop below -35 ( 50/50 blend), one can't know.... It should be good to 50-55 below, just sitting. Not going to see winter use, probably.

One would think a local Yamaha dealer would at least have the crush washer gaskets for the fluids' drain and fill holes on hand, but nooooooo. But that's all done. Anchorage had one set, except for the radiator drain plug. turned out the old one looked good anyway, so now I have 2 spares of that. So I have spares for everything next time, if I can find them again several years hence. I put them in an empty plastic container, marked it, and shelved it in the automotive section.

Not that that is going to work, necessarily. smile
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
I have a simpson 3500 psi with Honda motor. It works well but I haven't used it much. Bought it end of year clearance at Sam's club for $250. It was normally $600.

Bb
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Dont let it sit and run if your not spraying,
As others said, don't let it freeze,
And protect the fuel when it sets.

Also, if you engine is good when the pump dies,
Look into a rebuild,as before stated, or just replace the pump.
Northern hydraulic is one source for pumps.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Was given a washer that “didn’t work”. Had a Honda motor. Bought a cheap pump off Amazon and it’s been washing well for 6 or 7 years now. Also have an old Cheapy Troy Bilt.

Volume of flow is more important than pressure for what I do.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Go to your local equipment rental co.
See if they have a used rental for sale, or see what brand the rent and buy same.
They don't buy junk to rent out.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
I've got a Simpson gas powered pressure washer that will cut grooves in my driveway concrete with the tightest tip.
Posted By: ironbender Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20

Freezing temps? In Alaska?

Nah....
Posted By: ironbender Re: gas pressure washers - 11/23/20
Lar,
Gimme a holler tomorrow. I got a deal for you.
© 24hourcampfire