Home
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that the closing of its acquisition of substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets occurred on Monday, November 23. The agreement to purchase these assets emanated from the Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. bankruptcy and was approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama on September 30, 2020. The purchase price of approximately $28.3 million was paid with available cash on hand.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy noted the excitement that has permeated the firearms industry in anticipation of the confluence of these two iconic firearms brands, "Since we announced the agreement to purchase Marlin in September, we have heard from countless members of the firearms community - consumers, retailers, distributors, writers, and collectors - who are delighted that legendary Marlin rifles are now part of the Ruger product family. We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."

About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. With products made in America, Ruger offers consumers almost 800 variations of more than 40 product lines. For more than 70 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and community responsibility. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®," echoes our commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and innovative firearms.

The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand, sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made. The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.
The purchase price of approximately $28.3 million was paid with available cash on hand.
They bought a whole manufacturing company for pocket change?
Looking forward to making a Lever gun purchase in 2021.
so now we will have Marlins that work but wont shoot for chit
Originally Posted by S1pb
Looking forward to making a Lever gun purchase in 2021.

+1
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The purchase price of approximately $28.3 million was paid with available cash on hand.

Indeed they did. Good move.
Originally Posted by blanket

Yup, some inaccurate rifles will be showing up soon.
Or they will just make a budget level lever gun that will outshoot guns 3 times it's price
I don't know why the hate for Ruger. I have a Ruger bolt action 308 that I hunt with. Stainless steel so good in all kinds of weather. I sighted it in over 25 years ago and still holds zero. It shoots a dime at 100 yards. It was made in the early '90's. I have killed several deer with it with one shot. My brother borrowed it and killed a 9 pointer and went out and bought him one just like it. I also have a Ruger 10-22, a Ruger 44 mag Super Black Hawk, and a Ruger 22 pistol. Love them all.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I don't know why the hate for Ruger. I have a Ruger bolt action 308 that I hunt with. Stainless steel so good in all kinds of weather. I sighted it in over 25 years ago and still holds zero. It shoots a dime at 100 yards. It was made in the early '90's. I have killed several deer with it with one shot. My brother borrowed it and killed a 9 pointer and went out and bought him one just like it. I also have a Ruger 10-22, a Ruger 44 mag Super Black Hawk, and a Ruger 22 pistol. Love them all.

I have an all-weather Hawkeye you really don't want someone shooting at you with.
two turds in the punch bowl.
I got a gun and and go fishin.
I have an RAR 30-06. It shoots very well. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a bolt lock on the safety.
Start a thread about puppies and some will bitch about that. Geez!
I got a pop up about that, the pic was a Savage 99, not a Marlin lever gun.
Originally Posted by rifletom

for sure . I have no problems with my Rugers .
Originally Posted by hanco
I got a pop up about that, the pic was a Savage 99, not a Marlin lever gun.

I got the same notification. Laughed at the stupidity..."journalists" are idiots.
Only Ruger I have is a 10-22, flawless for 20 plus years. I’d like to have a Ruger bolt action, just for the hell of it.
Glad marlin will live on. Let’s hope the same for Remington it’s self
i've had a ruger mark 2 .22 ss std pistol w/fixed sights forever. the thing is deadly, roll the window dow and pop a rabbit at 25 yards effortly. of course the ammo had a part to play also. and the trigger job.

i look forward to seeing what ruger's oversight of marlin will bring to the marketplace.
Originally Posted by Gus
i've had a ruger mark 2 .22 ss std pistol w/fixed sights forever. the thing is deadly, roll the window dow and pop a rabbit at 25 yards effortly. of course the ammo had a part to play also. and the trigger job.

i look forward to seeing what ruger's oversight of marlin will bring to the marketplace.
I have one of those although mine is blued. It's sure not a gun for defense, though. The mag release takes both hands as does the bolt release. It's very slow to reload.
Ruger ain't Cerberus. They make good firearms, Cerbeus could ruin a wet dream
Jeebuz, seems like some folks would rather have had some Chinese outfit buy Marlin.

Operator error...
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Operator error...
ya right 3 mini 14s, 2 10-22's a 77-22 that were 10 moa rifles, did not have the trouble with any other ones

Operator error...
ya right 3 mini 14s, 2 10-22's a 77-22 that were 10 moa rifles, did not have the trouble with any other ones

Try keeping your other eye open. Just sayin'
Honest, I'm not a Ruger hater! I own a Mark IV target .22 LR.
Originally Posted by KenMi
Or they will just make a budget level lever gun that will outshoot guns 3 times it's price

This. The RAR put a dagger into the heart of those who thought only expensive guns could be accurate and that inexpensive Ruger guns could not.
Goodbye Remlin. Never had one, wouldn't want one. Hopefully Ruger will restore the quality of Marlins to the old "JM" level that we knew and trusted.

Operator error...

Yep....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I have an all-weather Hawkeye you really don't want someone shooting at you with.
Me too. My all weather Hawkeye has become one of my favorite rifles and it shoots very well. That said I've had a bunch of other Rugers in the past that were inaccurate junk.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Goodbye Remlin. Never had one, wouldn't want one. Hopefully Ruger will restore the quality of Marlins to the old "JM" level that we knew and trusted.
Doubtful.

Damn puppies!

What if they just keep the same employees that have been making the Remlins?
Originally Posted by slumlord

That'd be great for the employees (I'd hate for anyone to lose their jobs), but the QC issue has to be addressed. Ruger must have something up their sleeves, or they wouldn't have made the purchase.
When a bargain like that pops up, they'd be crazy to not grab it.
Well I am happy to see Ruger pick up Marlin instead of some financial conglomerate. As for those who bitch about Rugers my experience is good. My m77s are both excellent. I will say several new handguns over the years have been repaired or replaced. It sucks but all have ended up fixed to my satisfaction. Not perfect but good. QC has been lousy but Customer Service has been top notch. So time will tell.

Bill Ruger's proposed ban on high capacity magazines in 1989 was the beginning of Ruger hate.

Quotes
The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives.
March 30, 1989 letter sent to every member of the United States Congress (William B. Ruger (1992). "An Open Letter". American Handgunner 12 (5).).

No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun.
Ruger to Tom Brokaw of NBC News in 1992. (Harkinson, Josh (June 14, 2016).

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/William_B._Ruger
yea hope he is smoking a turd in hell for that one
Debbie Downerds....... Ruger makes good guns.

I might have to get a Marlin Lever - again - just cuz. Had a 336 .30-30 once, early 60s vintage. It drowned. Good shooter, killed my first moose.(Yes, it WAS a boating mishap!)

Nearly 50 years ago I bought a RU77V Tanger in 25-06. MOA out of the box with reloads. Never should have sold that one off. The RU77 30-06 and .338 Tangers that I bought sequentially a few years later worked just as well, though not as accurate as the 25 was. Still, if one can't kill stuff with 1.25 MOA rifles it isn't the guns' fault. Fuggers are like tanks. Or Timex....

Never saw the need to buy another rifle. But I have, or have acquired as gifts. Brands and calibers both

No, I haven't sold those two. And won't. The MK II and 10-22 do OK too. Alwas lusted after a Red Label, also, never acquired.

The 7mm M70 bought a bit over a year ago was pure want, never having had one, either model or caliber.

It depends if they'd be willing to move.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

It depends if they'd be willing to move.

If they aren't smart enough NOT to move, I don't want them making my gun anyway.

I usually buy things in pairs.

Put me down for at least two.
I bought a Remlin .30/30 in 2017 with the rifle dated to 2016 manufacture.
Having had a lot of Marlins to test dating back to the early 70's, with often several at a time, mine has better wood and is fully the equal to the very best I ever used.

Ruger now has the ability to trial, selectively assess or adopt the multi groove rifling, this acquisition is an opportunity for Ruger.
That’s good news, I’m happy to see Marlin come under solid management.

Ruger, pretty much everything they make works, yeah, some of it is clunky - P series pistols, a few things look awful - the LCR (works well though), and some rifles haven’t shot that well, granted, but when they get it right, they really get it right:

10/22
MK pistols
Single action revolvers
No. 1 rifles

Honorable mention: double action revolvers (little clunky).
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Ruger now has the ability to trial, selectively assess or adopt the multi groove rifling, this acquisition is an opportunity for Ruger.

The Marlin (at least from my experience) has never offered anything over standard four and six groove rifling. The Marlin 39-A has always been a sweetheart of a rifle as has other of their lever guns. Maybe Ruger can resurrect those time honored guns.
Ruger is a major contributor to the NRA.

Ruger is probably banking on the supreme court.
Odd thing about the Remlins. I read about the start up issues, then read about Remington getting it together with the levers. But I've never owned one, so I didn't know.

Then I saw an early Remlin in the Walmart issue price range. It was horrid. Then, just last week I saw a later made Remlin Guide gun. It had a better exterior finish & as good or better fit as my first year JM Guide gun. So I now tend to believe that Rem. did get it together.

Now I'm really looking forward to the Ruglin, & how they measure up, thinking it will be interesting.

They probably had to search through their other set of pants and some of the furniture to come up with that, but who doesn't?
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

They probably had to search through their other set of pants and some of the furniture to come up with that, but who doesn't?

I heard they had to dig around in the Reception Room couch for a little...
For hunting, a Ruger is dam good.
Who know what will happen between now and 2022. By then the 336 might be considered an assault rifle. I have more faith in Ruger making a quality lever gun than I had the management at Remington. They excelled in bankruptcy. Now i0f Ruger can find someone that can spell walnut

Operator error...

+1, got a safe full, litterally. Not a fly in the ointment yet!!
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy
That’s good news, I’m happy to see Marlin come under solid management.

Ruger, pretty much everything they make works, yeah, some of it is clunky - P series pistols, a few things look awful - the LCR (works well though), and some rifles haven’t shot that well, granted, but when they get it right, they really get it right:

10/22
MK pistols
Single action revolvers
No. 1 rifles

Honorable mention: double action revolvers (little clunky).

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Single Six Convertible...Sighted in with CB for grouse duruing moose season. For defensive, on occasion, I use the Magnum cylinder with hollow points. That ought to offer some discouragement....

And I have owned two Blackhawks. Fine guns, with a trigger job.
Misread the CEO name the first time.

Woulda been cool if it was CEO Killroy.

Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I usually buy things in pairs.

Put me down for at least two.

Date nite must be a budget killer.
Glad it wasn't Henry..
Ruger will do it well by Marlin. Certainly more so than Remington ever could.
Originally Posted by 57springer

for sure . I have no problems with my Rugers .

Wish I was so easy.
Ruger,
Remington,
Sako,
Tikka,
Weatherby,

I have problems with all of them. My own guns, not something I read.

Never owned a Winchester, bet if I buy one, I will add that name to the list.

How do so many people get perfect guns.

None of those have ever broken, they all shoot accurately enough to hunt.
They just have things I have problems with.

Waiting on the Ruglins.
I'm expecting something way more Henry, and not something like a mid 20th century
Marlin.

I just bet it will be forged steel!
Bet it will be cast..

Originally Posted by watch4bear
Ruger is a major contributor to the NRA.

Ruger is probably banking on the supreme court.

I’m going to go out and buy a dozen when they start producing them!
i have a lot of faith Ruger will do much better job with Marlin firearms, i have some Ruger rifles that shoot very well ,maybe some people bitch about a Ruger rifle and its probably them that can`t` shoot ? my Ruger #1`s have always down well for me hunting and this summer i purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle, with my handloads and a Nightforce target scope this rifle shoots as well as my high dollar bench rifles do. i am hoping Ruger starts making Marlin 39 A`s again i will buy 3 or 4 right away !
Dammit Pete, you'd buy 3 or 4 rifles right away, from Ruger, if they made them, that you've not even seen yet?

That is strong brand loyalty if I've ever seen it.
Originally Posted by KenMi

Yeah, in truth they make guns that will out shoot 95% of the hunters in that buy them.
Originally Posted by dale06

Yup, some inaccurate rifles will be showing up soon.

Don't worry, Volquartsen will make a kit for it soon.
Have seen lots of complaints about Ruger rifle accuracy over the years. My first 1022 was made in the late 60s. About as accurate as it needed to be, all things considered? Not a target rifle, but it killed a mess of small critters, as issued and never missed a beat, function wise.

Acquired a 25-06 tang safety M77 in 1990, same time I "acquired" the babe that came with that rifle. Wasn't much of a shooter with what her ex had loaded for it and she insisted on sticking with those 120gr Sierras. Killed her share of deer with it, but when I loaded 100gr Btips for it, shrunk the groups by half.

OTOH, back in the mid 90s a buddy bought a new M77V in 25-06 that never worked worth a damn with any load he worked up for it. Solved that issue with a 28" Douglass in 6mm-06.
My Ruger 300 WM shoots better than I aim...Rather have Ruger making leverguns than Remington...

Jayco
My RAR 30-06 is a great rifle for an economy gun...except for the magazine. They sent me 3 of them before I got one that would feed every time. The rounds hang up and won't feed to the top. If you know of a solution, please let me know as I'd like to fix these extra mags so they'll work.
I wonder if Ruger is going to have a special returns department just for the Marlins they ffuukk up. If they go through the same returns department as the regular Rugers, they are going to be busy.
Ruger bought Remington's brand new CNC machines so I suspect what they will turn out will be very similar to the latter Remlins since they will be made on the same machines. I do hope they manage to rein in prices somewhat.

One optimistic possibility this opens up is that Lipsey's might order some special runs and configurations, like perhaps a TK or Sporting Carbine style. Several of the Rugers I've bought over the last 10-15 years have been special runs from Lipsey's.
I'd love to see one in 25/35
I think my 25-06 77V had an oversized chamber. I didn't know much about such things back then (mid 70's). Factory ammo - the 3 or 4 boxes I ran through- no longer remembered as to bullet weights - but they were Rem - gave me 5 inch groups at 100.

I bought a $19 Lee loader kit, neck sized only?, and my reloads shot MOA with 120 gr Speers, and, I think, IMR 4831, 1 grain under max book listing at that time. I never tried factory loads again, so it is possible, like many rifles, it just "shot in" at that point.

Hammer of Thor on caribou. I did no mods on the rifle at all, though it certainly could have used trigger work

I sure would like to have that one back.....
© 24hourcampfire