Home
Posted By: stxhunter Wilson County - 12/01/20
low fence 210-inch buck, posted up on puro pinche low fence hunting today.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Dayum that’s sweet

And an Earnhardt cooler!!! 😃
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Damn that's a hell of a buck.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Muy grande!

RS
Posted By: J23 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Deer Lord!!

That's a shooter in anyone's book.
Posted By: Cloudrnnr Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
My old stomping grounds! Very nice.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
no one will say you should have waited another yr.
Posted By: skeen Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
low fence 210-inch buck, posted up on puro pinche low fence hunting today.

Wow!!!!
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
That's a monster!

Stockdale/Nixon area?

Used to hunt a small ranch a friend of mine owned that straddled Wilson/Guadalupe counties. Damn good deer out that way. Lots of minerals in the sandy soil.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
That's a monster!

Stockdale/Nixon area?

Used to hunt a small ranch a friend of mine owned that straddled Wilson/Guadalupe counties. Damn good deer out that way. Lots of minerals in the sandy soil.

near nixon.
wonder what it scores after drying.
Posted By: EdM Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Cost?
Originally Posted by EdM
Cost?

a low fence, not a high fence pay for the deer hunt.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
What's low fence mean? Are these free roaming deer?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Damn impressive.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
What's low fence mean? Are these free roaming deer?
yes low fence is 4-5 strand barb wire deer easily jump over or go under, a high fence is 8ft with fencing that has the wire in 6-inch squares to keep animals in.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Thanks. Nice buck.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Geebus. Nice buck, Roger.
Posted By: add Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Can we rubes get a fence rating you Texans always refer to?

1 - 10.

10 being the size of Biden's IQ.
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Damn. I’ve seen decent deer here, but nothing like that. Great buck.
Posted By: DMc Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
THAT is why we hunt.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
That's one heck of a beauty of a buck, dude! Good job!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
puro pinche. grin grin

Is that a FB group?

Beautiful deer there for sure.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
The deer of dreams right there. WOW!

Congratulations to the hunter.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
puro pinche. grin grin

Is that a FB group?

yes, over thirty thousand members.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
That's a Boss!! He'll be sporting wood for a week or two.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Outstanding buck!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

That's a very nice buck, good job. Rio7
Posted By: OldHat Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
For a deer like that to survive it had to of been protected. People have been seeing that buck for a long time on cameras and such. Low fence or no low fence.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
That's large right there.
Nothing like that around here.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Well you got yer big, huge, giants and monster bucks. That's somewhere between a giant and monster. Unreal.
another pic of it.

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Impressive deer!
Originally Posted by OldHat
For a deer like that to survive it had to of been protected. People have been seeing that buck for a long time on cameras and such. Low fence or no low fence.

Big bucks get big for a reason. They are smart as hell.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
You can tell the buck is still pissed at being shot.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

BS. People are smarter. People are more persistent.

Bucks are driven by behaviors they can not change.

If that buck was from a remote Canadian area I may believe he lived long enough to get exceptional. In Texas no way. He was protected some how.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

If that buck was from a remote Canadian area I may believe he lived long enough to get exceptional. In Texas no way. He was protected some how.

And please tell me how many Texas ranch’s have you hunted or better yet set foot on. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

And please tell me how many Texas ranch’s have you hunted or better yet set foot on. Hasbeen

Oh, it's a ranch. Thank you.

None. I don't need to because I know humans hunt there and I know how Odocoileus virginianus behaves.
Posted By: ribka Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

Some pretty remote and steep country in Texas. Well earned

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Cost?

I think Cost is still in Gonzales county isn’t it?
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by ribka

Same question. How many Texas hunts have you been on. The original buck posted is a great deer. Poster said it was low fence. That makes it special. Hasbeen
Posted By: Chisos Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

Sorry, when it became apparent 40 years ago to ranchers their deer herds were in serious need of management, TP&W started helicopter fly-overs to estimate and photograph herd sizes. The ranchers were shown pictures of monster bucks on their property the ranches had never laid eyes on. That buck didn't get to be that size by being dumb and letting anyone see him. I've hunted south Texas since 1969 and have seen only one buck that was in this deer's class.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

None. I don't need to because I know humans hunt there and I know how Odocoileus virginianus behaves.

Since you know how well they think then where's your 210" buck at? It's just a dumb old deer right? You should have plenty on your wall. To the op congrats on a buck of a lifetime.
Posted By: ribka Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

Sure I ve lived in Texas twice in my life. Probably a dozen or so deer and pig hunts. Fished Texas quite a bit too. Last time I deer hunted I just shot a 140 inch deer and a does and did not want to fork out 8k for a 180 deer that walked near my stand.

Im heading out to the Selkirks now for last day of wt season. Shouldn't have passed on that small 3x3 yesterday. meat hunting today

Its a big deer for a Texas deer, but its like the pay hunt for fenced in trophy elk. To each its own. carry on

Originally Posted by ribka

Same question. How many Texas hunts have you been on. The original buck posted is a great deer. Poster said it was low fence. That makes it special. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by Showdog75

Since you know how well they think then where's your 210" buck at? It's just a dumb old deer right? You should have plenty on your wall. To the op congrats on a buck of a lifetime.
I didn't shoot it, one of the guys on a FB hunting group I'm part of did.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
You can have a buck like that in 20 acres of thicket, have 2 guys hunt it for a month and never see that ghostly mofo

They are sly as hell.

Now we do not get to feed them here during the hunting season, so if we get them on camera one day, they may be miles away in 24 hours. And....youre hunting a buck that might never make it back.
Me and Ren50 talking bout this on the phone this morn. Trail cams used fouck my mind up, I had to quit using them. Get hung on one photogenic buck make yourself crazy.

I never said it was not special. I never said he can not be proud he shot it.
Originally Posted by Chisos

Sorry, when it became apparent 40 years ago to ranchers their deer herds were in serious need of management, TP&W started helicopter fly-overs to estimate and photograph herd sizes. The ranchers were shown pictures of monster bucks on their property the ranches had never laid eyes on. That buck didn't get to be that size by being dumb and letting anyone see him. I've hunted south Texas since 1969 and have seen only one buck that was in this deer's class.

Let's see, could it be you've never seen one that size because there are mythical ghost bucks hiding in Texas or perhaps because the VAST majority of bucks get shot long before reaching that size.
Originally Posted by Showdog75

If it's a buck of a lifetime then they are rare. So the question is why are they rare? They are rare because they get shot long before they have a chance to reach that size unless they are protected ... at least this is true in a large part of the country.
Originally Posted by slumlord
You can have a buck like that in 20 acres of thicket, have 2 guys hunt it for a month and never see that ghostly mofo

I suppose if the only method of hunting used was to set in the exact same stand every day for ever, then true.

If you think there is a ghost buck in a 20 acre thicket here is how you get him ...

Wait for very windy rainy day. Little snow would help but not required. Then you still hunt that thicket. I don't mean stomp around and call it still hunting. I mean the old fashion still hunt. Like where it takes you 2 hours to travel a half mile.

Good eye site is required especially if the snow part is not in the mix.
Two more giant low fenced bucks from Maverick County taken recently.

giant mainframe 8 point sports 29” main beams, 6” bases, and 21” inside spread and grosses 176 3/8” as an 8.5 year old eight point!
The non-typical buck was 7.5 years old and grosses a whopping 196 4/8”.
Posted By: antlers Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
giant mainframe 8 point sports 29” main beams, 6” bases, and 21” inside spread and grosses 176 3/8” as an 8.5 year old eight point!
A straight 8 that goes 140 is a helluva deer. The one in the picture is a flat-out brute.
Those ghost bucks are hiding in the mesquite bushes.

Fantastic deer. Good genetics. Good feed. Incredibly lucky lives.
shows that good management will work on a low fence ranch.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
That photo in the OP looks luke a guy I used to work with. He has property near Floresville. He told me one of the nearby ranches (Connally I believe) brought in some monster bucks to improve the herd and they spread the genes around.
QDM - Only shoot the bucks allowed.

No. No. No.

They were obviously protected...

No. No. No.

you need to realize some of these ranches are thousands of acres, when I was working in the oilfield I worked on ranches that were over 100,000 acres, hell the king ranch is over 800,000 and all low fence. most bucks spent their lives within one square mile except for the rut.

No. No. No.

Indeed they are. QDM. Only shoot the bucks allowed.

No. No. No.

you need to realize some of these ranches are thousands of acres, when I was working in the oilfield I worked on ranches that were over 100,000 acres, hell the king ranch is over 800,000 and all low fence. most bucks spent their lives within one square mile except for the rut.

https://kingranchhunting.com/
https://kingranchhunting.com/book-a-hunt/
The King Ranch has Nilgai. They must have some high fences. I would find it hard to believe they want those animals wandering off into Texas at large.
Posted By: skeen Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20

Man, how awesome would it be to hunt the fabled King Ranch? Gotta add that to my bucket list. wink

No. No. No.

I know. That was in response to OldHat's earlier suggestion that the buck in the OP was obviously protected because it got that big.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Wilson County - 12/01/20
The King Ranch has Nilgai. They must have some high fences.

And?
The King Ranch has Nilgai. They must have some high fences. I would find it hard to believe they want those animals wandering off into Texas at large.
they don't have high fence I have done a lot of work on there over the yrs. nilgai are free-range down here, the fence wouldn't keep them in anyways.

No. No. No.

I know. That was in response to OldHat's earlier suggestion that the buck in the OP was obviously protected because it got that big.
yes.
Originally Posted by skeen

Man, how awesome would it be to hunt the fabled King Ranch? Gotta add that to my bucket list. wink

you can and they lease pastures if you can pay. last time I did some flooring work on the Wynn lease which is just south of town the foreman told me they had a small 40,000-acre pasture for lease just a 100 grand. they also just have hunts for people who want to just hunt for a day or two. some of those are affordable. nilgai hunts are not bad.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Nilgai have about as much respect for a high fence as does a Sherman tank.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Impressive
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

No. No. No.

https://kingranchhunting.com/
https://kingranchhunting.com/book-a-hunt/

Weston Koehler
Assistant Area Manager of Wildlife Operations
[email protected]
361-219-4452
I did the tile in his house here in corpus.
Good pics of nilgai in this article.

https://wildlife.org/wild-cam-fence-busting-feral-antelope-open-up-texas-range/

We hunt south of the Santa Rosa ranch in Kenedy county. North side of ranch we hunt is high fenced (Neighbor did it about 15 years ago) . The rest is low fence. Was down there last weekend. As usual that high fence is full of holes like these from nilgai.

There was a big tick fever study on the Santa Rosa either in 2018 or 19, involving the nilgai. If you are interested

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213224417300147

I have not read this report.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Nilgai have about as much respect for a high fence as does a Sherman tank.

Okay. I'll bite. How do they keep the Nilgai from leaving the ranch? Does Texas issue Nilgai tags seeing how they are free range?

They manage to fence bull bison.

We hunt south of the Santa Rosa ranch in Kenedy county. North side of ranch we hunt is high fenced (Neighbor did it about 15 years ago) . The rest is low fence. Was down there last weekend. As usual that high fence is full of holes like these from nilgai.

There was a big tick fever study on the Santa Rosa either in 2018 or 19, involving the nilgai. If you are interested

This is very interesting. Thanks!

So are the Nilgai becoming established as a feral population in Texas? Can you hunt hem outside the ranches?
How much does it cost to hunt a whitetail buck in the King Ranch?

Okay. I'll bite. How do they keep the Nilgai from leaving the ranch? Does Texas issue Nilgai tags seeing how they are free range?

you can hunt them yr round non-native species just like axis deer and hogs. they are pretty much from corpus south, I hunt them on some public land, in the land cut, you can only get to by boat.

you can hunt them yr round non-native species just like axis deer and hogs. they are pretty much from corpus south, I hunt them on some public land, in the land cut, you can only get to by boat.

This is seriously interesting ... thank you.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

King Ranch leases property to private outfitters. They charge for and run their clients hunts.
Posted By: aalf Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

Management Buck (< 130 B&C)
$2,100
Base Fee Per Hunter

• Mature white-tail buck (five and a half years or older)
• < 130 Boone and Crockett score
• 1 hunter:1 guide or 2 hunters:1 guide
• One-day hunt
• Breakfast and Lunch included
• Additional management buck hunt 130 B&C is available at $1,050 depending on guide choice (not guaranteed and must be for the same hunter)
• Call for availability

Management Buck Hunt (130 to 140s B&C)
$3,700 Base Fee Per Hunter

• One mature whitetail buck (five and a half years or older)
• 130’s to 140’s B&C score (8 or 9 point)
• Up to two-day hunt
• 1 hunter:1guide
• Breakfast and lunch included
• Additional fees may apply
• Call for availability

I hunt on an old family friends ranch. Owned by 5 brothers. Last weekend I saw four. One bull I bet went 750. I just didn’t feel like shooting one. I still have some of the bull in freezer I killed last year.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Back in 2004, a 234” buck was taken on the Mill Iron Ranch in the TX Panhandle - a low fence ranch. He wasn’t protected, he was smart. I will guarantee that even with a helicopter survey, you ain’t seeing every big buck- they’ll lay down and you won’t see them. In the Panhandle it’s just one canyon after another with brush. They can hide out and once they become mostly nocturnal, you’ll never see them. In South TX they can hide in the brush and never, ever be seen by a human. Go hunt the Callaghan sometime - thick ass brush over there!
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

The ranch is damn near the size of Delaware. No nilgai or deer is going to walk far enough to leave the ranch.
Originally Posted by Kellywk

The ranch is damn near the size of Delaware. No nilgai or deer is going to walk far enough to leave the ranch.

I assume they breed or are they sterile.
yes, they do, and those young cows are the best eating.

bull from a few yrs ago.

Posted By: Mach3 Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Meh. Fenced deer. Nothing to be excited about.
Originally Posted by Mach3
Meh. Fenced deer. Nothing to be excited about.

not high fenced. free-range, you don't honestly think a 4-5 strand barb wire fence keeps deer in do you.
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
That deer was killed about 10 miles from my house. They let it walk last year. They were hunting hard the last ten days. Guy happens to work the same place I do.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
There's big deer all over the place.
Most people don't see them because
they can't stay still or quiet and the
deer see them or hear or smell them
first. That's one reason I quit trying to
look around me 360 degrees. I've been
busted lots of times turning one way to
look for a sign of something I heard,
only to turn back around and see a
deer staring directly at me, then blow
and run away. Deer get great big because
the bigger older ones are super wary
and cautious and they walk away from
any perceived danger. And they can
stay still as a statue and stare you
down forever plus 3 days.
If it wasn't for their curiosity and
their sex drive, they'd be impossible
to kill

bull from a few yrs ago.

What Roger said! I prefer cows over bulls. They are easier for a crippled up old azz fellow to manage by himself too!
Some background.

https://texashighways.com/things-to-do/wildlife/find-elusive-nilgai-roaming-king-ranch-south-texas/
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
another pic of it.

Look at the neck on him.

Geez.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

This is very interesting. Thanks!

So are the Nilgai becoming established as a feral population in Texas? Can you hunt hem outside the ranches?

Seriously?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20

Our place is about 15 miles West of the Norias Division, Of the King Ranch, Nilgai, can be a real pain in the butt, when Kaywoodie, said they are like a Sherman Tank when it comes to fences high or low, that's a fact, they will make holes under or thru fences you can drive a 4 wheeler thru.

200 and over B & C Deer are not rare here, but there's not one under every bush either, We kill deer every year we have never seen on our trail cams, and we have 35 trail cameras working .24 -7, some of the old bucks are pretty crafty, they stay in the heavy brush, and will only water at brush water holes at night , during the rut they stay in the heavy brush about 99% of the time. it's not unheard of to kill a 7 1/2 yr old 200 plus buck, no one has ever seen till it was killed. Rio7
I’ve been on Blue’s place several times. It’s wild as a March Hare!!!!!! You could get ypur azz lost on it easy. I’m sure there are deer there that have never seen a cross fence. High or low.
Posted By: tzone Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Every TX deer post has "low fence" in the first few sentence's. lol

Nice buck though. Even for high fence.

I don't know how many his number will be. But I can assure you they'll all be "low fence."
Two more giant low fenced bucks from Maverick County taken recently.

That top one is cool as hell.
a 5 strand barb wire fence doesn't keep deer in.

bull from a few yrs ago.

What Roger said! I prefer cows over bulls. They are easier for a crippled up old azz fellow to manage by himself too!

What does a cow weigh? Size of an elk?

I know. But I get a kick out of almost every TX deer post mentioning the fence height.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Wilson County - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by tzone

I know. But I get a kick out of almost every TX deer post mentioning the fence height.

Lmao

If that was any other state the conversation would be if it was big enough to be in the top 2 or 3 all time typical.

Texans talk about the fence and how hard it is to hunt there.

some of us won't hunt a high fence place.
low fence Jesus nativity.

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Wilson County - 12/03/20
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

Lmao

If that was any other state the conversation would be if it was big enough to be in the top 2 or 3 all time typical.

Texans talk about the fence and how hard it is to hunt there.

I think it's to preface the fact that they are going to get called out as "high fence" no matter where the deer was killed.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wilson County - 12/04/20
puro pinche. grin grin

Is that a FB group?

Well, that might be the coolest FB group name around!
Posted By: OldHat Re: Wilson County - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

200 and over B & C Deer are not rare here, but there's not one under every bush either, We kill deer every year we have never seen on our trail cams, and we have 35 trail cameras working .24 -7, some of the old bucks are pretty crafty, they stay in the heavy brush, and will only water at brush water holes at night , during the rut they stay in the heavy brush about 99% of the time. it's not unheard of to kill a 7 1/2 yr old 200 plus buck, no one has ever seen till it was killed. Rio7

Do you run your 35 24/7 cameras at water holes?

So the bucks manage to ignore their gonads and ignore does that aren't in the brush? I find that hard to believe.

It didn't keep this guy in my backyard. (it's only 4 strand there)

I'd guess there's not much difference in hunting low fence places in TX and hunting out here in the West on land like in the pics. Except I don't have to pay for access to the square miles of land in the background of those pics, it's BLM and all I have to do is cross my fence.

On low fence ranches, any of the deer, nilgai, or other critters they have there can leave any time they're near the border of the property. As someone else pointed out, those in the interior of the ranch, especially whitetail, have no reason to get to the fence anyway.

I suppose I could let those deer get on my 7 Acre RANCH and put up a high fence to keep them there. Then, all I have to do is draw a permit!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wilson County - 12/04/20
I have wanted to know, on these big properties where they kill really good bucks

Do they, at the same time of these bucks being killed have Elmer Fudd ‘meat hunters’ wandering around like human beagles beating the bushes trying to kill a doe?

We have that dynamic statewide in Tn, even here at the home place. We have seen two 140s class (thats realy good for us) and have a third one on camera.

But at the same time my doofus nephew in law and his step dad are bumbling around through much of the heavy cover upsetting sanctuary areas for the life of them just trying to kill a fuggin ‘meat deer’. JFC

myself and renegade see a dozen does almost every outing. I’ve offered to toss a couple in their laps just to make them stay the fook home.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Wilson County - 12/04/20

Old Hat, Yes we do have camera's on some water holes, brush you can't walk or crawl thru can cover 2500 acres, the only way thru is where we have dozed a road, bucks and does can live their life time and never be seen.

By the way that's a great picture of you. Bless Your Heart. Rio7
I have wanted to know, on these big properties where they kill really good bucks

Do they, at the same time of these bucks being killed have Elmer Fudd ‘meat hunters’ wandering around like human beagles beating the bushes trying to kill a doe?

We have that dynamic statewide in Tn, even here at the home place. We have seen two 140s class (thats realy good for us) and have a third one on camera.

But at the same time my doofus nephew in law and his step dad are bumbling around through much of the heavy cover upsetting sanctuary areas for the life of them just trying to kill a fuggin ‘meat deer’. JFC

myself and renegade see a dozen does almost every outing. I’ve offered to toss a couple in their laps just to make them stay the fook home.

If they're looking for a meat deer, can't you just set them in view of a path and get them to shoot any doe that walks by?

Goobers. They're everywhere.

Do they have to shoot a buck so they can shave their deer season beard and tell everyone at work. "Welp, I got me a buck this weekend"
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Nice 8pt.

Posted By: Raferman Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Ted Cruz?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20

If they're looking for a meat deer, can't you just set them in view of a path and get them to shoot any doe that walks by?

Goobers. They're everywhere.

Do they have to shoot a buck so they can shave their deer season beard and tell everyone at work. "Welp, I got me a buck this weekend"

Deer "paths" being barely discernable trails TOTALLY covered in leaves can easily be overlooked and not seen unless one happens to glance down it while on it and may be only 10 -20 yards apart in thick woods. You may sit watching one a week before having a deer come by on the one you're watching, and in deer hunted significantly they are very wary and travel very slowly taking a nip of food here and there as they travel. They often will pick up ANY movement from you turning your head or scratching your nose, ass or moving a mosquito through 40 yards of brush before they are close enough for your eyes to be able to pick them out of the cover they just blend into.
At times I've been able to see a deer until it stops moving and then when it stops moving my eyes are totally unable to make it out. Sometimes that happens while trying to stalk close enough for a shot and you are gradually closing in as they are SEEMINGLY oblivious and they disappear by blending in before you very eyes and you never see them again. Busted, and they just gradually moved away from you a little faster than you could move quietly or without sudden, quick movements which would have ended the game anyway.

Your hope while still hunting is to move slower than a buck travelling through trying to cover country looking for does.

It's hard to sneak up on a deer in this. In cut over river bottoms it would be real easy to step on a big alligator too.

Hard to sneak up on them in stuff like this too, but there is a chance if a buck is travelling through.
It's best to travel across wind as they will be travelling faster than you if you are hunting right (slow) and you can pick up their horizontal movement and back line more easily.

If you travel into the wind a buck will usually spot you first as they like to travel the thick stuff with the wind at their back to smell and predator coming after them from behind.

Sometimes one can travel through this stuff on a big cow trail easing through palmetto fronds and see a deer off the cow trail but you may watch a cow trail a while without seeing a deer.

An all too often rare opening, but no pin oak acorns or deer sign here this year.

Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Nice deer.

Seen em hop eight footers no sweat.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile

I'd guess Ted has access to some nice places to hunt......
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Nice deer.

Seen em hop eight footers no sweat.

I've seen pressured does go over ten foot game fences but they left hair in the air. They were jumping from a low fence property into a high fence place.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile

Heck of a big body too for a southern US whitetail.

It's become a necessity.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
puro pinche. grin grin

Is that a FB group?

Well, that might be the coolest FB group name around!

if you are on FB you can join, but have to be part of the group to see the posts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2756021971339071
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
the group was about 40,000, members but FB has shut it down twice, because of someone trying to sell a gun on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2756021971339071
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Wilson County - 12/05/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You can tell the buck is still pissed at being shot.

LOL
© 24hourcampfire