Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
a 5 strand barb wire fence doesn't keep deer in.

I know. But I get a kick out of almost every TX deer post mentioning the fence height.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tzone

I know. But I get a kick out of almost every TX deer post mentioning the fence height.

Lmao

If that was any other state the conversation would be if it was big enough to be in the top 2 or 3 all time typical.

Texans talk about the fence and how hard it is to hunt there.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

some of us won't hunt a high fence place.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
low fence Jesus nativity.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

Lmao

If that was any other state the conversation would be if it was big enough to be in the top 2 or 3 all time typical.

Texans talk about the fence and how hard it is to hunt there.

I think it's to preface the fact that they are going to get called out as "high fence" no matter where the deer was killed.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
puro pinche. grin grin

Is that a FB group?

Beautiful deer there for sure.

yes, over thirty thousand members.

Well, that might be the coolest FB group name around!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RIO7

200 and over B & C Deer are not rare here, but there's not one under every bush either, We kill deer every year we have never seen on our trail cams, and we have 35 trail cameras working .24 -7, some of the old bucks are pretty crafty, they stay in the heavy brush, and will only water at brush water holes at night , during the rut they stay in the heavy brush about 99% of the time. it's not unheard of to kill a 7 1/2 yr old 200 plus buck, no one has ever seen till it was killed. Rio7

Do you run your 35 24/7 cameras at water holes?

So the bucks manage to ignore their gonads and ignore does that aren't in the brush? I find that hard to believe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It didn't keep this guy in my backyard. (it's only 4 strand there)

I'd guess there's not much difference in hunting low fence places in TX and hunting out here in the West on land like in the pics. Except I don't have to pay for access to the square miles of land in the background of those pics, it's BLM and all I have to do is cross my fence.

On low fence ranches, any of the deer, nilgai, or other critters they have there can leave any time they're near the border of the property. As someone else pointed out, those in the interior of the ranch, especially whitetail, have no reason to get to the fence anyway.

I suppose I could let those deer get on my 7 Acre RANCH and put up a high fence to keep them there. Then, all I have to do is draw a permit!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have wanted to know, on these big properties where they kill really good bucks

Do they, at the same time of these bucks being killed have Elmer Fudd ‘meat hunters’ wandering around like human beagles beating the bushes trying to kill a doe?

We have that dynamic statewide in Tn, even here at the home place. We have seen two 140s class (thats realy good for us) and have a third one on camera.

But at the same time my doofus nephew in law and his step dad are bumbling around through much of the heavy cover upsetting sanctuary areas for the life of them just trying to kill a fuggin ‘meat deer’. JFC

myself and renegade see a dozen does almost every outing. I’ve offered to toss a couple in their laps just to make them stay the fook home.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Old Hat, Yes we do have camera's on some water holes, brush you can't walk or crawl thru can cover 2500 acres, the only way thru is where we have dozed a road, bucks and does can live their life time and never be seen.

By the way that's a great picture of you. Bless Your Heart. Rio7

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have wanted to know, on these big properties where they kill really good bucks

Do they, at the same time of these bucks being killed have Elmer Fudd ‘meat hunters’ wandering around like human beagles beating the bushes trying to kill a doe?

We have that dynamic statewide in Tn, even here at the home place. We have seen two 140s class (thats realy good for us) and have a third one on camera.

But at the same time my doofus nephew in law and his step dad are bumbling around through much of the heavy cover upsetting sanctuary areas for the life of them just trying to kill a fuggin ‘meat deer’. JFC

myself and renegade see a dozen does almost every outing. I’ve offered to toss a couple in their laps just to make them stay the fook home.

If they're looking for a meat deer, can't you just set them in view of a path and get them to shoot any doe that walks by?

Goobers. They're everywhere.

Do they have to shoot a buck so they can shave their deer season beard and tell everyone at work. "Welp, I got me a buck this weekend"

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice 8pt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ted Cruz?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord

If they're looking for a meat deer, can't you just set them in view of a path and get them to shoot any doe that walks by?

Goobers. They're everywhere.

Do they have to shoot a buck so they can shave their deer season beard and tell everyone at work. "Welp, I got me a buck this weekend"

Deer "paths" being barely discernable trails TOTALLY covered in leaves can easily be overlooked and not seen unless one happens to glance down it while on it and may be only 10 -20 yards apart in thick woods. You may sit watching one a week before having a deer come by on the one you're watching, and in deer hunted significantly they are very wary and travel very slowly taking a nip of food here and there as they travel. They often will pick up ANY movement from you turning your head or scratching your nose, ass or moving a mosquito through 40 yards of brush before they are close enough for your eyes to be able to pick them out of the cover they just blend into.
At times I've been able to see a deer until it stops moving and then when it stops moving my eyes are totally unable to make it out. Sometimes that happens while trying to stalk close enough for a shot and you are gradually closing in as they are SEEMINGLY oblivious and they disappear by blending in before you very eyes and you never see them again. Busted, and they just gradually moved away from you a little faster than you could move quietly or without sudden, quick movements which would have ended the game anyway.

Your hope while still hunting is to move slower than a buck travelling through trying to cover country looking for does.

It's hard to sneak up on a deer in this. In cut over river bottoms it would be real easy to step on a big alligator too.

Hard to sneak up on them in stuff like this too, but there is a chance if a buck is travelling through.
It's best to travel across wind as they will be travelling faster than you if you are hunting right (slow) and you can pick up their horizontal movement and back line more easily.

If you travel into the wind a buck will usually spot you first as they like to travel the thick stuff with the wind at their back to smell and predator coming after them from behind.

Sometimes one can travel through this stuff on a big cow trail easing through palmetto fronds and see a deer off the cow trail but you may watch a cow trail a while without seeing a deer.

An all too often rare opening, but no pin oak acorns or deer sign here this year.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/05/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice deer.

Seen em hop eight footers no sweat.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile

I'd guess Ted has access to some nice places to hunt......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Nice deer.

Seen em hop eight footers no sweat.

I've seen pressured does go over ten foot game fences but they left hair in the air. They were jumping from a low fence property into a high fence place.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice 8pt.

That's awesome!

Ted's my man! smile

Heck of a big body too for a southern US whitetail.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

It's become a necessity.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,215
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.