Home
Posted By: 5sdad "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20

I am totally ignorant about this snake business. (Probably could have dispensed with the last four words.) Any help with understanding would be appreciated.

Why don't they use a forked stick to pin the snake's head to the ground or use a noose on a pole to catch them?

If Florida is so deadly serious about eliminating the snakes, why don't they just shoot the bastards instead of catch them?

Bill mentioned that they wanted to catch the hybrids before they could breed. Are the hybrids not sterile?

It does seem odd the way they swing a sack containing a 100+# snake around so easily with one hand.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
If it's on TV, it's not real.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Good to see you Pat.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
You wanna have some TV fun watch Survivorman, Bigfoot series. Sumbitch hears bigfeets whooping at him, thinks every broken tree in the forest is a bigfeet marker post, and goes into detail about bigfeet behaviors. Hillllllarioooouuuuussss.
Posted By: Ringman Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Fireball2,

You never heard of Eden Valley? Where have you been?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Good to see you Pat.

Thanks amigo. Swore off all social media for a couple of months.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by Ringman
Fireball2,

You never heard of Eden Valley? Where have you been?

Southern Oregon
Posted By: gunzo Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I am totally ignorant about this snake business. (Probably could have dispensed with the last four words.) Any help with understanding would be appreciated.

Why don't they use a forked stick to pin the snake's head to the ground or use a noose on a pole to catch them?

If Florida is so deadly serious about eliminating the snakes, why don't they just shoot the bastards instead of catch them?

Bill mentioned that they wanted to catch the hybrids before they could breed. Are the hybrids not sterile?

It does seem odd the way they swing a sack containing a 100+# snake around so easily with one hand.

I'm with you.! Ride around on an air boat, find one, kill it. Move on. As often a possible. Bounties & media probably got the efficiency all effed up.
Posted By: joken2 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20

I'm seeing more and more of the so-called outdoor, "Reality", shows with the word, "Enhanced", added in the TV guide descriptions.

"Enhance -- SYNONYMS
increase, add to, intensify, magnify, amplify, inflate, strengthen, build up, supplement, augment, boost, upgrade, raise, lift, escalate, elevate, exalt, aggrandize, swell
improve, enrich, complement, heighten, deepen, stress, reinforce, underline, emphasize

informal jack up, hike"

Originally Posted by joken2

I'm seeing more and more of the so-called outdoor, "Reality", shows with the word, "Enhanced", added in the TV guide descriptions.

"Enhance -- SYNONYMS
increase, add to, intensify, magnify, amplify, inflate, strengthen, build up, supplement, augment, boost, upgrade, raise, lift, escalate, elevate, exalt, aggrandize, swell
improve, enrich, complement, heighten, deepen, stress, reinforce, underline, emphasize

informal jack up, hike"

So basically a boob job for your TV show...
Posted By: GeoW Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Good to see you Pat.

Thanks amigo. Swore off all social media for a couple of months.

You have been missed!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
It's TV....mostly made up chit in order to fool the audience.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
In my younger days I kept boas and Burmese pythons for pets. Cannot understand for the life of me the fear of those guys when they encounter one in the wild. They pretend it’s a six foot cobra instead of a six foot non venomous python, dodging his strikes. Oh please....just Grab it and, because it’s a cold blooded reptile, it’ll wear down soon.

Saw swap people guy “try” to catch an eight footer last night and he rassled it, got all contorted trying to subdue it and had to let it go, leaving it to the other guy to capture it...because it was soooo strong Troy Landry couldn’t handle it. That one or two minute clip there was utter Hollywood bull feces. They are strong but not THAT strong. Especially to a guy who pulls 300 # gators into his boat. My largest Burmese was over 15 feet long and while quite tame, it was easy to handle even when it started flexing its muscles playing around.

We hunt gators down here too and I love to see them give the weights on the gators they catch on that show...more BS. Every big gator is “750 pounds” . More Hollywood BS.....
Posted By: Razorhog Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Godogs57-

You are 100% correct. I watched it for a couple of minutes and turned the channel in disgust. Also they " caught " an African Rock Python which, as you know, is a different species from the Burmese. I don't believe Crutchfield had any rocks escape when the hurricane hit that I know about. Maybe ................ Oh well, its sad to see what the gator show has turned into.
Posted By: gremcat Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by Godogs57
In my younger days I kept boas and Burmese pythons for pets. Cannot understand for the life of me the fear of those guys when they encounter one in the wild. They pretend it’s a six foot cobra instead of a six foot non venomous python, dodging his strikes. Oh please....just Grab it and, because it’s a cold blooded reptile, it’ll wear down soon.

Saw swap people guy “try” to catch an eight footer last night and he rassled it, got all contorted trying to subdue it and had to let it go, leaving it to the other guy to capture it...because it was soooo strong Troy Landry couldn’t handle it. That one or two minute clip there was utter Hollywood bull feces. They are strong but not THAT strong. Especially to a guy who pulls 300 # gators into his boat. My largest Burmese was over 15 feet long and while quite tame, it was easy to handle even when it started flexing its muscles playing around.

We hunt gators down here too and I love to see them give the weights on the gators they catch on that show...more BS. Every big gator is “750 pounds” . More Hollywood BS.....

I’ve never knew so many 13’ Gators existed or that so many 10-11’ Gators weighed 500-800 lbs until I saw that show. I’ve not seen too many despite roaming around SC and to a lesser extent N GA. Must be because they catch so many on the show there aren’t many left for us lowly non-celebrities. I remember seeing a 12’, one of my first, that was skinny as a snake and weighed probably 300#s or less. A 13’+ gator or one over 500 lbs is pretty exceptional by my lowly standard.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
There are some pretty good sized gators around the Savannah, Ga area, and in general along the coast. Not nearly the numbers as what is portrayed in Louisiana on "Swamp People". We don't have the habitat that they do. I see them sometimes when out fishing both in fresh and salt water.

I don't have any interest in messing with them. laugh
Posted By: 22250rem Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Would be a lot easier and more efficient if they had one of those noose on a pole contraptions; but then; it wouldn't make for the theatrical requirements of things like drama, suspense, excitement, etc. and the show wouldn't be as enthralling to viewers and the ratings would go down. Gotta keep the audience from getting bored and changing the channel. In real life they'd be using something other than bare hands especially considering the amount of bounty money supposedly paid. Wasn't it something like $200. to $450. per snake ? Or am I not recalling that correctly?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
I wondered why the catch them alive. What happens after they catch them?

They don't catch the gators alive.

Another thing: They shoot the gators in the brain with a .22 and the gator instantly dies. I shot a 14 foot Nile crocodile in the brain with a 180 grain bullet at 3200 fps, immediately shot it again in the heart-lung area, and ten minutes later it opened and closed its jaws.
Posted By: ingwe Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20

Pat nailed it.

Like others have said, Swamp People catch so many 800 pound MONSTER gators, yet they are able to fling them into the boat one handed...

As for pythons I dont know why they don't just shoot them. And yes, there're now rock pythons in florida and they are a different breed, they will bite you given the chance, and while not venomous, Im sure its an unpleasant experience.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You wanna have some TV fun watch Survivorman, Bigfoot series. Sumbitch hears bigfeets whooping at him, thinks every broken tree in the forest is a bigfeet marker post, and goes into detail about bigfeet behaviors. Hillllllarioooouuuuussss.

Better yet try watching "Bigfoot is real" on the travel channel, I think it comes on on Sunday nights. It's got to be the WORST show ever made. I watched in stunned disbelief at the stupidity of the show when I stumbled on to it. It's worth the price of admission to watch it once, you won't believe your eyes or ears.
If you've ever watched "Alaska Bush People" you have seen the worst of the worst of the so called "Reality Shows".
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/05/20
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Godogs57-

You are 100% correct. I watched it for a couple of minutes and turned the channel in disgust. Also they " caught " an African Rock Python which, as you know, is a different species from the Burmese. I don't believe Crutchfield had any rocks escape when the hurricane hit that I know about. Maybe ................ Oh well, its sad to see what the gator show has turned into.

Saw that rock python too. When I was at University of Georgia my next door buddy in our dorm was from Zaire. He’d bring back all sorts of critters every fall from home and sell em to local pet shops to pay for his tuition. African Gray parrots ($$$$$$) various snakes and such. They quarantine for 30 days before they’d be turned over to him. He left early for Christmas break one year and left a bag full of snakes on my bed telling me to do something with em, or keep em for myself. There were about a dozen African Rocks in that bag. I’m pretty experienced with big snakes and took it on as a project to fatten em up, tame em down and let a pet shop have em. I swear, those were the meanest snakes I’ve ever encountered in my life. I never got a single one of em to tame down. They about ate me alive.

If they aren't going to be killed on the spot, the nooses and sticks are usually going to damage the snakes spine or crush the brain. Anybody who uses those have to know the 4 Ws+ H before handling them.
There's better, albeit riskier ways of handling snakes that require skill and experience in order to preserve the welfare of the wildlife.

For instance, a cop was called to catch a little gator that was found near a pet store on an exit ramp. Probably abandoned by its owner. I read about it in the paper and the black knight in shiny armour was a brave hero that captured this giant 2-3' dragon. I told everyone that the poor thing is as good as dead. He killed it by the careless way he handled it under the duress of imminent threat to his life....the leo.
I checked into it right away and sure enough, it was dead. No doubt he busted the spine and crushed an organ or two. A dog catcher would've done the same more than likely.

I can only guess that they are worth more $ alive than dead. Maybe they'd spoil on location easily and easier to skin them at home base. Maybe some are sold as pets.

Remember that pythons are not venomous, just constrictors...not to be confused with boas.

I don't know what they consider hybrids. The common burmese doesn't cross with reticulated pythons or boa constrictors. I think that those are the only invasive species when it comes to snakes there.

I couldn't even drag the big doe I talked about earlier that was likely more than my bw. Everyone says that it was around 100#s so I must be pretty weak.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/05/20

Thanks for the response. I still wonder why, if they are such a threat to the ecosystem, the state cares at all about their survival.
All those shows are scripted .
Posted By: FishinHank Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/05/20
The only people that are dumber than the ones on these shows are the ones watching them.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/05/20
Godogs57-

Saw that rock python too. When I was at University of Georgia my next door buddy in our dorm was from Zaire. He’d bring back all sorts of critters every fall from home and sell em to local pet shops to pay for his tuition. African Gray parrots ($$$$$$) various snakes and such. They quarantine for 30 days before they’d be turned over to him. He left early for Christmas break one year and left a bag full of snakes on my bed telling me to do something with em, or keep em for myself. There were about a dozen African Rocks in that bag. I’m pretty experienced with big snakes and took it on as a project to fatten em up, tame em down and let a pet shop have em. I swear, those were the meanest snakes I’ve ever encountered in my life. I never got a single one of em to tame down. They about ate me alive.

Those African Grays were all the rage in the 80’s. Brought big prices even then. Most were captured adults I think, and didn’t talk a lot. One of my friends has one that he hand raised and that thing has a vocabulary better than some kids. It mimics a ringing telephone when it wants attention which is pretty annoying.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/05/20
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Godogs57-

Those African Grays were all the rage in the 80’s. Brought big prices even then. Most were captured adults I think, and didn’t talk a lot. One of my friends has one that he hand raised and that thing has a vocabulary better than some kids. It mimics a ringing telephone when it wants attention which is pretty annoying.

Oh yeah! They are capable of having a fantastic vocabulary. The one we kept in the dorm was taught both English and French (Zaire’s language). Smart little guy.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/06/20
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Godogs57-

lol did a job for a woman yrs ago, I was downstairs working and kept hearing the lady saying Roger get your ass up here, so I went upstairs and asked what's wrong. she started laughing and pointed at her African grey and said, my husband's name is Roger also, it sounded just like her.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/06/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Another thing: They shoot the gators in the brain with a .22 and the gator instantly dies. I shot a 14 foot Nile crocodile in the brain with a 180 grain bullet at 3200 fps, immediately shot it again in the heart-lung area, and ten minutes later it opened and closed its jaws.

Ha and yep. I was part of a 'gator hunt in south FL years ago with permits for 3 in Okeechobee. All 3 we took got the same basic treatment. Illuminated, evaluated for size and if deemed big enough, quiet approach followed by crossbow bolt fired at soft neck skin. If successful float attached to bolt was followed, retrieved and unhappy reptile brought up to boat by hand. Next step involved harpooning with flying head. Final step was administering .357 mag to brain of hopelessly entangled critter. Next, critter hauled aboard and had jaws taped shut. Next, chisel driven by hammer severing spinal cord. Final step affixing CITES locking tag through hide in tail. Count me as one who took a wicked, powerful and painful whack from a 'dead' 'gator that'd been arrowed, harpooned, bangstick brained, CNS chiseled and still knocked a 250 guy halfway into next Tuesday. wink Watch out for the tail, even with recently dead ones. Trust me on this.

Thanks for the response. I still wonder why, if they are such a threat to the ecosystem, the state cares at all about their survival.

Sorry to take so long to get back. Just noticed this.

I've wondered the same thing and don't have any answer for that. I don't think that the state really cares. I can only guess that there's a financial incentive for the licensed trapper. For instance, there's a guy in Florida who focuses on capturing big lizards called tegus. They make good boots I'm told. The tamable ones are sold to people who want to raise them as pets. The guy makes a living doing this and it might be the same for the big snakes too. The pythons require cage space, food and a whole ot of work to get them mellowed to have as pets. I think he probably processes their hides but doesn't talk about that for the backlash that he might get from public.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: "Swamp People" - Snakes - 12/07/20
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Ha and yep. I was part of a 'gator hunt in south FL years ago with permits for 3 in Okeechobee. All 3 we took got the same basic treatment. Illuminated, evaluated for size and if deemed big enough, quiet approach followed by crossbow bolt fired at soft neck skin. If successful float attached to bolt was followed, retrieved and unhappy reptile brought up to boat by hand. Next step involved harpooning with flying head. Final step was administering .357 mag to brain of hopelessly entangled critter. Next, critter hauled aboard and had jaws taped shut. Next, chisel driven by hammer severing spinal cord. Final step affixing CITES locking tag through hide in tail. Count me as one who took a wicked, powerful and painful whack from a 'dead' 'gator that'd been arrowed, harpooned, bangstick brained, CNS chiseled and still knocked a 250 guy halfway into next Tuesday. wink Watch out for the tail, even with recently dead ones. Trust me on this.

I have killed around 2000 wild alligators over the last 40 years and almost all were killed with a 22 magnum. We use hard nose bullets, hollwpoints are useless. Typically I will put a second one in them to make certain. Every now and then we get one that just refuses to die. You can shoot them several times and then they stand up in the boat an hour later. If you get the brain just right they are toast.

This was an 11 1/2 foot gator. One shot in the head with a 22 magnum. The big guy in the red shirt hunts with me every year, he just had shoulder surgery so he could not help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is gator in the video. I wear a size 15 boot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A boat load of gators

Godogs57-

What do you know about Tom Crutchfield?
He used to breed Saltwater crocs. That would be an interesting invasive species down in the Everglades.
© 24hourcampfire