Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
If you've ever watched "Alaska Bush People" you have seen the worst of the worst of the so called "Reality Shows".

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Godogs57-

You are 100% correct. I watched it for a couple of minutes and turned the channel in disgust. Also they " caught " an African Rock Python which, as you know, is a different species from the Burmese. I don't believe Crutchfield had any rocks escape when the hurricane hit that I know about. Maybe ................ Oh well, its sad to see what the gator show has turned into.

Saw that rock python too. When I was at University of Georgia my next door buddy in our dorm was from Zaire. He’d bring back all sorts of critters every fall from home and sell em to local pet shops to pay for his tuition. African Gray parrots ($$$$$$) various snakes and such. They quarantine for 30 days before they’d be turned over to him. He left early for Christmas break one year and left a bag full of snakes on my bed telling me to do something with em, or keep em for myself. There were about a dozen African Rocks in that bag. I’m pretty experienced with big snakes and took it on as a project to fatten em up, tame em down and let a pet shop have em. I swear, those were the meanest snakes I’ve ever encountered in my life. I never got a single one of em to tame down. They about ate me alive.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I am totally ignorant about this snake business. (Probably could have dispensed with the last four words.) Any help with understanding would be appreciated.

Why don't they use a forked stick to pin the snake's head to the ground or use a noose on a pole to catch them?

If they aren't going to be killed on the spot, the nooses and sticks are usually going to damage the snakes spine or crush the brain. Anybody who uses those have to know the 4 Ws+ H before handling them.
There's better, albeit riskier ways of handling snakes that require skill and experience in order to preserve the welfare of the wildlife.

For instance, a cop was called to catch a little gator that was found near a pet store on an exit ramp. Probably abandoned by its owner. I read about it in the paper and the black knight in shiny armour was a brave hero that captured this giant 2-3' dragon. I told everyone that the poor thing is as good as dead. He killed it by the careless way he handled it under the duress of imminent threat to his life....the leo.
I checked into it right away and sure enough, it was dead. No doubt he busted the spine and crushed an organ or two. A dog catcher would've done the same more than likely.

If Florida is so deadly serious about eliminating the snakes, why don't they just shoot the bastards instead of catch them?

I can only guess that they are worth more $ alive than dead. Maybe they'd spoil on location easily and easier to skin them at home base. Maybe some are sold as pets.

Remember that pythons are not venomous, just constrictors...not to be confused with boas.
Bill mentioned that they wanted to catch the hybrids before they could breed. Are the hybrids not sterile?

I don't know what they consider hybrids. The common burmese doesn't cross with reticulated pythons or boa constrictors. I think that those are the only invasive species when it comes to snakes there.

It does seem odd the way they swing a sack containing a 100+# snake around so easily with one hand.

I couldn't even drag the big doe I talked about earlier that was likely more than my bw. Everyone says that it was around 100#s so I must be pretty weak.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/05/20.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks for the response. I still wonder why, if they are such a threat to the ecosystem, the state cares at all about their survival.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
All those shows are scripted .

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only people that are dumber than the ones on these shows are the ones watching them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Godogs57-

You are 100% correct. I watched it for a couple of minutes and turned the channel in disgust. Also they " caught " an African Rock Python which, as you know, is a different species from the Burmese. I don't believe Crutchfield had any rocks escape when the hurricane hit that I know about. Maybe ................ Oh well, its sad to see what the gator show has turned into.

Saw that rock python too. When I was at University of Georgia my next door buddy in our dorm was from Zaire. He’d bring back all sorts of critters every fall from home and sell em to local pet shops to pay for his tuition. African Gray parrots ($$$$$$) various snakes and such. They quarantine for 30 days before they’d be turned over to him. He left early for Christmas break one year and left a bag full of snakes on my bed telling me to do something with em, or keep em for myself. There were about a dozen African Rocks in that bag. I’m pretty experienced with big snakes and took it on as a project to fatten em up, tame em down and let a pet shop have em. I swear, those were the meanest snakes I’ve ever encountered in my life. I never got a single one of em to tame down. They about ate me alive.

Those African Grays were all the rage in the 80’s. Brought big prices even then. Most were captured adults I think, and didn’t talk a lot. One of my friends has one that he hand raised and that thing has a vocabulary better than some kids. It mimics a ringing telephone when it wants attention which is pretty annoying.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Godogs57-

Those African Grays were all the rage in the 80’s. Brought big prices even then. Most were captured adults I think, and didn’t talk a lot. One of my friends has one that he hand raised and that thing has a vocabulary better than some kids. It mimics a ringing telephone when it wants attention which is pretty annoying.

Oh yeah! They are capable of having a fantastic vocabulary. The one we kept in the dorm was taught both English and French (Zaire’s language). Smart little guy.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Godogs57-

lol did a job for a woman yrs ago, I was downstairs working and kept hearing the lady saying Roger get your ass up here, so I went upstairs and asked what's wrong. she started laughing and pointed at her African grey and said, my husband's name is Roger also, it sounded just like her.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I wondered why the catch them alive. What happens after they catch them?

They don't catch the gators alive.

Another thing: They shoot the gators in the brain with a .22 and the gator instantly dies. I shot a 14 foot Nile crocodile in the brain with a 180 grain bullet at 3200 fps, immediately shot it again in the heart-lung area, and ten minutes later it opened and closed its jaws.

Ha and yep. I was part of a 'gator hunt in south FL years ago with permits for 3 in Okeechobee. All 3 we took got the same basic treatment. Illuminated, evaluated for size and if deemed big enough, quiet approach followed by crossbow bolt fired at soft neck skin. If successful float attached to bolt was followed, retrieved and unhappy reptile brought up to boat by hand. Next step involved harpooning with flying head. Final step was administering .357 mag to brain of hopelessly entangled critter. Next, critter hauled aboard and had jaws taped shut. Next, chisel driven by hammer severing spinal cord. Final step affixing CITES locking tag through hide in tail. Count me as one who took a wicked, powerful and painful whack from a 'dead' 'gator that'd been arrowed, harpooned, bangstick brained, CNS chiseled and still knocked a 250 guy halfway into next Tuesday. wink Watch out for the tail, even with recently dead ones. Trust me on this.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 12/05/20.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Thanks for the response. I still wonder why, if they are such a threat to the ecosystem, the state cares at all about their survival.

Sorry to take so long to get back. Just noticed this.

I've wondered the same thing and don't have any answer for that. I don't think that the state really cares. I can only guess that there's a financial incentive for the licensed trapper. For instance, there's a guy in Florida who focuses on capturing big lizards called tegus. They make good boots I'm told. The tamable ones are sold to people who want to raise them as pets. The guy makes a living doing this and it might be the same for the big snakes too. The pythons require cage space, food and a whole ot of work to get them mellowed to have as pets. I think he probably processes their hides but doesn't talk about that for the backlash that he might get from public.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I wondered why the catch them alive. What happens after they catch them?

They don't catch the gators alive.

Another thing: They shoot the gators in the brain with a .22 and the gator instantly dies. I shot a 14 foot Nile crocodile in the brain with a 180 grain bullet at 3200 fps, immediately shot it again in the heart-lung area, and ten minutes later it opened and closed its jaws.

Ha and yep. I was part of a 'gator hunt in south FL years ago with permits for 3 in Okeechobee. All 3 we took got the same basic treatment. Illuminated, evaluated for size and if deemed big enough, quiet approach followed by crossbow bolt fired at soft neck skin. If successful float attached to bolt was followed, retrieved and unhappy reptile brought up to boat by hand. Next step involved harpooning with flying head. Final step was administering .357 mag to brain of hopelessly entangled critter. Next, critter hauled aboard and had jaws taped shut. Next, chisel driven by hammer severing spinal cord. Final step affixing CITES locking tag through hide in tail. Count me as one who took a wicked, powerful and painful whack from a 'dead' 'gator that'd been arrowed, harpooned, bangstick brained, CNS chiseled and still knocked a 250 guy halfway into next Tuesday. wink Watch out for the tail, even with recently dead ones. Trust me on this.

I have killed around 2000 wild alligators over the last 40 years and almost all were killed with a 22 magnum. We use hard nose bullets, hollwpoints are useless. Typically I will put a second one in them to make certain. Every now and then we get one that just refuses to die. You can shoot them several times and then they stand up in the boat an hour later. If you get the brain just right they are toast.

This was an 11 1/2 foot gator. One shot in the head with a 22 magnum. The big guy in the red shirt hunts with me every year, he just had shoulder surgery so he could not help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is gator in the video. I wear a size 15 boot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A boat load of gators

Last edited by Mike70560; 12/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Godogs57-

What do you know about Tom Crutchfield?
He used to breed Saltwater crocs. That would be an interesting invasive species down in the Everglades.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,005
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.