Home
Ok its simple. What are some go to recipes that you go to. During this covid crap, I have run out of new food ideas.

I would like to hear some good comfort food you folks make that everyone loves.

and GO!!!!!
This pie is the bomb:
https://www.stephiecooks.com/pecan-raisin-pie/
Buy brisket, trim it up, put salt and black pepper on brisket, smoke brisket until it hits about 165, then wrap (your choice, pink butcher paper or foil), continue to cook until you hit 200 degrees. Rest for a minimum of an hour....enjoy.
70gr of 4350 and a 225gr TTSX.....it’s a recipe that makes more recipes.
Fry some bacon, ham, and eggs so they are done at the same time. Ham then cheese then egg then cheese then bacon on some form of bread. A bit much for breakfast but it's a perfect brunch food. I've used white, wheat, onion rolls, bagels, cheap burger buns, good burgers buns and dinner rolls. Favorite is bagels.

Hash brown casserole

I dont have the link or the instructions

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
If your hard up. Captain Morgan’s w/coke

Other option, burn one
A fatty
Second favorite breakfast recipe, Macdonald's big breakfast. Make the whole thing into a sandwich, put the jelly on the hashbrowns and put it on the sandwich too. Have them put a piece of cheese on the eggs.
Rocks glass
Jameson
1 ice cube
1 Maraschino cherry
Lock down is done.
Beefaroni ....

Go all out and heat it up!!!!
Something I call "Woodsman's Delight"... ok, so I didn't come up with it... I completely stole it from a Mark Baker video (if you're 18th century, you know who that is).

Amounts of any of it are not that important. Just as much of each as you want, accounting for the number of people you're feeding.

Cut up some sweet potatoes in slices or chunks and start them cooking in a nonstick pan (ceramic or cast iron). The sweet potatoes take a lot longer to cook than anything else, so give them extra time.

Cut up pieces of bacon and/or smoked sausage (we like Conecuh smoked sausage, when we can find it) and throw them into the pan.

Then cut up some onions and put them in, along with some apples cut into slices. You can add a few black walnuts too, if you wish.

Just let it all cook until everything is done. Don't get in a hurry, it will take a while. But man, is it good.
A light spritz of Old Spice cologne right after plating, can elevate any dish.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Buy brisket, trim it up, put salt and black pepper on brisket, smoke brisket until it hits about 165, then wrap (your choice, pink butcher paper or foil), continue to cook until you hit 200 degrees. Rest for a minimum of an hour....enjoy.

Just did that last week. x2
Originally Posted by add
A light spritz of Old Spice cologne right after plating, can elevate any dish.
laffin’
Glass full of ice.
9 parts Jim Beam
1part Seagrams ginger ale.
Any random Christmas cookie as a garnish.
Mississippi Pot Roast. Very easy to make (Google it)
Originally Posted by slumlord

Hash brown casserole

I dont have the link or the instructions

That looks like a winner!
8 lb whole beef tenderloin

shalt, pepper, and granulated garlic and thyme to taste

Big Green Egg with a double handful of hickory thrown on top
Originally Posted by BCBH

This is one of my favorites and it’s so easy to fix.
Well, I have some good old trailer trash comfort food I make from my childhood... we weren't really poor, my dad was an engineer and my mom a school teacher, they grew up in the depression... we just ate like it. My wife was from a family of 7 kids and an alcoholic father, big family to feed.

Anyway I've threatened to make a dish my mom used to make, she called it chili mac. My wife said NO! we had to eat the same thing because it was cheap... Now this woman still eats fried spam because it was cheap when she was a kid.

Chili mac... long before hamburger helper, when hh came out with it's first recipe I thought, same as mom's, I never did try the boxed stuff though.

So yesterday, over 40 years since I last ate chili mac, wife was out Christmas shopping and had left some hamburger thawing, so I did it.

A box of cheap kraft mac and cheese, hamburger and stewed tomatoes.
Start the macaroni
start the hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic salt and a pinch of oregano
Add the stewed tomatoes when the burger is cooked and let simmer
Finish the mac and cheese
Add all on a plate and let it melt together
A couple slices of plain white bread with butter

Wife came home, saw it and went... uggg... I know it brought back some tough memories... while eating it she said 'Ok, this is really good, we'll do it again'

Kent
Cheeseburger hamburger helper.

For real, not joking.

😀
Originally Posted by slumlord
Cheeseburger hamburger helper.

For real, not joking.

😀

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
My wife made up about 2 gallons of her chili. It's all I eat when it's around.
Brunswick Stew

6 (5 to 6 pound) hens or heavy friers
10 to 12 pounds of lean beef, cubed
2 pounds center cut ham, cubed
1 pound bacon, chopped
1 pound cubed salt meat with skin removed
5 to 6 pounds of potatoes, peeled and chopped
18 large white onions, peeled and quartered
5 whole bunches celery, chopped
2 bunches of parsley, chopped
10 pounds frozen whole okra
4 to 5 (17 ounce) cans lima beans, drained
4 to 5 (16 ounce) cans cut green beans, drained
18 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
6 (17 ounce) cans white cream-style corn
1 pound butter
3 (15 ounce) bottles of Worcestershire sauce
1 (8 ounce) can black pepper
1 (1 ⅛ounce) can red pepper
1 (2 ounce) bottle Tabasco
4 to 5 (14 ounce) bottles of ketchup
Juice of 4 lemons
4 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms, stems and pieces, drained

Boil chicken in water to cover until meat separates from the bone. Take out, discard all skin and bones from chicken and chop meat. Strain stock through colander and reserve. Cut beef, ham, bacon and salt meat into small pieces and place in large pot with potatoes, onions, celery and parsley. Boil in water to cover 1 hour, stirring infrequently. If there is a large quantity of stock, start the meat mixture with stock instead of water. Add chicken, remaining stock, okra and other vegetables except tomatoes, corn and mushrooms. Boil for 1 hour; add tomatoes. (To keep tomatoes from curdling when added to the hot mixture, place in pan with 1 tablespoon soda and let stand for 5 minutes.) Boil for another hour; add corn. Add butter and next six ingredients to stew about 1 hour before cooking is completed, adding drained mushrooms thirty minutes before serving. Simmer well. Recipe can be reduced for individual use. Serves 40-50.

From the recipes of W.H. Montjoy
This recipe has been cut down from the original recipe calling for 350 pounds of chicken to feed hundreds of people at the annual Billups Dove Hunt at the Billups Plantation in Indianola, Mississippi, cooked each year by Billy Montjoy. The stew would be started at 6:00 A.M., cooked in an old black iron cauldron and stirred with a boat paddle off and on until serving after the hunt. It has been enjoyed for years by many Mississippians, as well as people from all over the country, and has been written about in newspapers in several Southern cities.

To enhance flavor of homemade vegetable soup, add chicken or beef bouillon cubes to the stock.

Note: I cut down this recipe even further – using the bare minimum of the ingredients. Instead of 6 lbs. of chicken, I use one chicken. Instead of 12 lbs. of lean beef, I use one good-sized steak. Instead of 18 onions, I use 3 or 4. Instead of 10 lbs. of okra, I use one or two small frozen packages, etc… Even cutting down the recipe to this extent, I am still left with nearly 5 gallons of stew when the cooking is complete, so a giant pot is needed. Also, be sure not to rush the cooking process. Cook over a very low heat and stir frequently to avoid burning the stew. Burning the stew is an expensive mistake.
Whiskey and coke
Side dish for dinner/lunch/breakfast: yam hash: https://www.asweetpeachef.com/sweet-potato-hash/
Best venison meatloaf ever.... wife made a double batch today.... we have a friend who was never a hunter but when we served it to her a few years ago she placed a standing request to "fix her a plate" whenever it is on our menu....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGAq1lHe2U&t=31s&ab_channel=GeorgiaPellegrini
What lockdown? My activities have continued unabated.
Originally Posted by hatari
8 lb whole beef tenderloin

shalt, pepper, and granulated garlic and thyme to taste

Big Green Egg with a double handful of hickory thrown on top

Cooked to what temp?

I pull mine at 129 resting brings it up to 132-133.

Works great with whole Venison back straps as well.
Pulled Ham
...brine whole pork butt in water, salt , dextrose, and cure.
...place in 225* smoker
...smoke till internal temp reaches 170ish,
...place in foil roaster and cover.
...continue smoking(cooking) until internal temp reaches 203*
...pour off liquid in bottom of roaster, let cool, remove fat that comes to the surface.
...pull the roast and add the liquid back into the meat.

Enjoy
Dirty rice.

About a pound each- ground pork, chk livers, chk hearts. Chop up the heart and liver pretty well and brown in a hot skillet with the pork. Add in a finely diced onion, a bell pepper, bit of garlic and a couple stalks of celery. Sometimes I’ll dice up a jalapeño as well. Cook down until veg is soft. Add a bunch of chopped parsley and season with your favorite creole/New Orleans/Cajun or whatever seasoning. Don’t be shy with it. It’s gonna get mixed in a bunch of rice.

My favorite seasoning was from the Dolla store but it’s been discontinued and I’m out. Last batch I used some Tony’s and some Old Bay rub. The Old Bay grew on me. I like it just fine. Next time I’m going to try some emerils and just a bit of the old bay.

I put a few big spoonfuls(maybe a cup) of the dirty in a hot skillet and them add cooked rice to it(maybe 3 cups). Add however much suits your taste.

I’ll portion out the rest of the dirty mix and freeze it.
Three step Lemon bars.

Step up one plant lemontree.

Step two marry well.

Step three pour glass milk.

CHEESY POTATOES

This is a family standard for us and there's never any leftovers.
2 cans cream of cheese soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of milk
5 lbs of potatoes, skin on, sliced thin
1/2 pound of the sharpest cheddar you can get, diced or shreadded
1/2 pound of the sharpest swiss you can get, diced or shreaded
grated parmesan/romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Italian seasoning to taste
garlic powder to taste
dried minced onions to taste.

In a sauce pan combine the cream of cheese soup, cream of mushroom soup, two cans of milk, all spices, the onion flakes, cheese, grated parm/romano and minced onions. Heat over low to medium heat being careful not to scorch the mixture. Heat just long enoought to melt the shreadded cheese. Put potatoe slices in a baking dish or large casserole bowl, and cover with the cheese sauce mixture. Add more parmesian on top of the casserole. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Best to cover the dish with tim foil for the first half hour, and then remove to foil to brown the top. Check potatoes with a fork for tenderness before calling it done-ovens differ and you may have ot cook it longer.

You can add kielbassa or ham if you want to make this a one pan meal. It's really good, and like I said, we never have any leftovers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

fifty lbs sweet feed and fifty lbs sugar.
Straight up #1 meal requested and #1 family get together meal... Tacos... mom always made them until one time in the 80s she wasn't feeling well and I took over, I just did it from then on... my record was frying 97 at one gathering.

[Linked Image]

According to my daughter the next in line is biscuits and gravy.

[Linked Image]

If we don't do tacos it's because we do fish.

[Linked Image]

And there's always room for elk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My wife cooking while wearing a mask
I make killer no bakes if that's your thing.

1 stick of butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
.5 cup milk
4 tbsp cocoa

Bring these ingredients to a boil (slowly, if you heat too fast your cookies will be gritty). Once it starts to boil allow it to stay boiling for one minute then remove from heat and add:

.5 cup peanut butter
3 cups of quaker quick oats
1 tsp vanilla.

Stir it up and form your cookies.

These are really really good.
Another top 5 in our house is french toast... not that soggy stuff from the restaurant. I'm always asked what I put on it to get that taste... nothing, it's bread, eggs and oil... no milk no anything else. Oil is the key and it can be just the cheap 6 bucks a gallon store brand vegetable oil, a good half inch in the pan and get it hot, if it's not hot the bread will soak up the oil. The hot oil caramelizes the egg and has a sweet taste. I like mine almost black caramelized, my wife a little less and sprinkle cinnamon on.

The granddaughter 'has' to have Ugly 'Ol Pappy's french toast when she stays over, her favorite breakfast.

Kent
Always a hit at gatherings, & handy to have around the house is sausage balls.

1# ground pork sausage, 1/2 cup of milk, 8 oz. shredded cheddar, 2 cups Bisquick. Thoroughly hand mix all ingredients & roll into individual balls, I like them a bit bigger than golf balls. & not rolled too tight. Place on a cookie sheet & bake @ 325 for approx. 25 minutes or until the exposed cheese just begins to brown.
I found a link to the Crack potatoes

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/crack-potatoes-55640
Originally Posted by gunzo
Always a hit at gatherings, & handy to have around the house is sausage balls.

1# ground pork sausage, 1/2 cup of milk, 8 oz. shredded cheddar, 2 cups Bisquick. Thoroughly hand mix all ingredients & roll into individual balls, I like them a bit bigger than golf balls. & not rolled too tight. Place on a cookie sheet & bake @ 325 for approx. 25 minutes or until the exposed cheese just begins to brown.

Used to make them regularly, but now use a simpler recipe. Mix the sausage with crushed Cheez-its, roll into balls and bake at 325
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Whiskey and coke

That!
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

2 cups sugar
.5 cup milk
4 tbsp cocoa

Bring these ingredients to a boil (slowly, if you heat too fast your cookies will be gritty). Once it starts to boil allow it to stay boiling for one minute then remove from heat and add:

.5 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla.

Made some up an hour or so ago. Easy, and yes, they are really, really good !
Birria Quesotacos

This is essentially the recipe I used.
https://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/https/youtube/rexifmidtru

Halibut steaks, stuffed with fresh crab, baked in hollandaise sause, and sprinkled with pine nuts. Steaks need to be 1 - 1/4" thick, slice a pocket and stuff with crab meat. Place in glass pan, cover with the sause, sprinkle pine nuts. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Give or take a minute or two!
Originally Posted by Heym06
Halibut steaks, stuffed with fresh crab, baked in hollandaise sause, and sprinkled with pine nuts. Steaks need to be 1 - 1/4" thick, slice a pocket and stuff with crab meat. Place in glass pan, cover with the sause, sprinkle pine nuts. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Give or take a minute or two!

Halibut probably tastes awesome when its fresh but by the time it gets to Iowa, it doesn't. Which is too bad.

That burria quesotaco thing looks just like the quesadilla grande at my second favorite Mexican restaurant here, an excellent choice. My favorite at the best restaurant is cheek meat tacos. I dont have the courage to try the brain or guts tacos.

2 cups sugar
.5 cup milk
4 tbsp cocoa

.5 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla.

Damn, now I have to make some of these for Christmas Eve. My go-to cookies are fatass ginger snaps, but I'm out of molasses.

Another favorite of mine is hillbilly peanut butter fudge - nuke one container of storebought vanilla cake frosting with one jar of creamy peanut butter until it all melts, stir, refrigerate. Frickin' delicious. And about the most fattening stuff in the universe.
Originally Posted by auk1124

2 cups sugar
.5 cup milk
4 tbsp cocoa

.5 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla.

Damn, now I have to make some of these for Christmas Eve. My go-to cookies are fatass ginger snaps, but I'm out of molasses.

Another favorite of mine is hillbilly peanut butter fudge - nuke one container of storebought vanilla cake frosting with one jar of creamy peanut butter until it all melts, stir, refrigerate. Frickin' delicious. And about the most fattening stuff in the universe.

That's a nugget from the quarantine goldmine. Do you stir until there is ribbons or until its thoroughly mixed together? I'm making this soon.
Bet those taste incredible.

Originally Posted by robertham1
Birria Quesotacos

Tony Dean's Walleye Chowder

(Any fresh water fish will work)

I usually double the walleye fillets and bacon or just double the whole recipe for a bigger batch.

Ingredients

5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
3 tbsp butter
½ cup celery, chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups cold milk
2 cups cubed red potatoes (approx. 2 potatoes)
2 (8 ounce) walleye fillets, cut into chunks
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Heat the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onions, sauté until softened.
Stir in flour to form a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk.
Add the potatoes and bacon and stir gently. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
Add fish chunks and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Originally Posted by Rooster7

I usually double the walleye fillets and bacon or just double the whole recipe for a bigger batch.

Ingredients

3 tbsp butter
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups cold milk

Instructions

Heat the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onions, sauté until softened.
Add the potatoes and bacon and stir gently. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
Add fish chunks and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.

Mojakka-Finnish Fish Soup
Originally Posted by stxhunter
fifty lbs sweet feed and fifty lbs sugar.

That brings back memories, lol. Had an uncle, rest his old soul, that made a fortune during WWII when grain and sugar were almost impossible to get. He would buy sweet feed by the train car load and turn it into "water". He said the trick was to run the feed through a grinder, boil it to release the starch as he called it, and use a high grade yeast and malted rye in combination to get the highest yield, since the only added sugar was the molasses in the sweet feed. I think he kept western N.C. and northern Ga. supplied for years, up into the 70's with that recipe, and some of the folks still say it was the best shine they ever had.
I've still got a few of his old green glass half gallon jars with the porcelain lined lids out in the shop, but sadly, all of the contents seems to have evaporated over the years.
Originally Posted by 19352012

That's a nugget from the quarantine goldmine. Do you stir until there is ribbons or until its thoroughly mixed together? I'm making this soon.

Microwaves vary, but try dumping the tub of frosting and jar of peanut butter together in a bowl, nuke for one minute, stir, nuke another minute, and by that point it should be very creamy. Stir thoroughly and chill, no need to do anything else.

Takes no time at all, is ridiculously rich and good if you have a sweet tooth. Best kept chilled.
Originally Posted by BCBH

Got one of these in the crock pot, very simple.
I don't have a go to recipe but since the lockdown I've never eaten better in my life.

I hated this as a kid, but last week we had a sugar cured ham and had a huge bone left over with some meat on it. My wife put on a pot of great northern beans and let that hambone soak in there for several hours, she added some seasoning to the beans as well - I've been eating those beans for 3 days now.

My wife and I have really stepped up our game with chili, fish tacos, pot roast, brownies, pecan pie, and a few other odds-n-ends.

2 cups sugar
.5 cup milk
4 tbsp cocoa

.5 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla.

If I didn't know my sister would be making some peanut butter fudge for Christmas I'd try this recipe! I'll try it later this spring if I can lose a little bit of this belly I've been growing this year.

Let me know how your no bakes go, they are my favorite and my kids will tell you mine are the best lol.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Ingredients

3 tbsp butter
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups cold milk

Instructions

This sounds and looks really good. I'll have to try it after the holidays. Thank you.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Bet those taste incredible.

Originally Posted by robertham1
Birria Quesotacos

Being you’re out in the valley- have you had Birria?

Most of the Mexican places serve it on a Friday or Saturday as it’s a time consuming meal. If you find a place that does- try it- it’ll probably motivate you to make it. Rich and delicious
Dutch oven sloppy joes, 2lbs ground beef, 1 large can of manwich I add one onion when cooking the ground beef , one package of baby grand bisquits and cheese. When the sloppy joe mix is cooked put the bisquits on top put the oven on broil or if your camping put charcoals on the lid till done then add cheese. Takes about an hour total.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Why would anybody mix whiskey and coke.....unless they buy that cheap crap bottled in TN? 🙄
Originally Posted by 19352012

Microwaves vary, but try dumping the tub of frosting and jar of peanut butter together in a bowl, nuke for one minute, stir, nuke another minute, and by that point it should be very creamy. Stir thoroughly and chill, no need to do anything else.

Takes no time at all, is ridiculously rich and good if you have a sweet tooth. Best kept chilled.

Metformin Bars!

😆
Husbands Delight casseroles, many different recipes, most of them good.

Manicotte, use a big pan so that you have enough left over for lunch the next day.
© 24hourcampfire