Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
The evening before last she felt achy with a sore throat. I got her to pound zinc and multi-vitamins. She woke up feeling better yesterday, but started feeling worse as the day went on. Got a COVID test yesterday afternoon. She felt okay this morning and started feeling worse. She just got the call telling her she is positive. I started feeling like ass last week and got tested. Mine came back negative. She's got a call in to her doc asking what she should do.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Get well wishes fot her
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Hope you both start feeling better soon, crappy Christmas to remember.

Depending on the test, the results are not 100% correct. I think like 75% correct, and I'm not sure if you start feeling ill before the test shows if you're positive . There are new machines out there that test Covid, the flu and some other results. Our small town got it about a month or so ago, Daughter runs it when she isn't doing a shift on the floors. Our ICU beds are at capacity, but they don't spread the news that they also get to full capacity for a bad flu season, which is 10 ICU units.

Allen
Posted By: memtb Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20

Best Wishes to each of you! PissPoor timing....looks like a potential Christmas Quarantine! memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I hope you all get this behind you soon
Posted By: MichieD Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
My sister in law has it, aches/fever/runs. She doesn't work, but her husband is still working, you know, because they're both staunch democrats and union people, so it doesn't apply to them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Dang man

Hate to hear this.

Get some White Claws and take a load off
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The evening before last she felt achy with a sore throat. I got her to pound zinc and multi-vitamins. She woke up feeling better yesterday, but started feeling worse as the day went on. Got a COVID test yesterday afternoon. She felt okay this morning and started feeling worse. She just got the call telling her she is positive. I started feeling like ass last week and got tested. Mine came back negative. She's got a call in to her doc asking what she should do.

Paul a good friend and his wife came down with it and their family doctor sent them to the hospital for an “infusion “, experimental drug not yet fully approved but in the testing stage.

Both are back home now feeling much better. He is a very high risk being diabetic and on dialysis.

You might ask about this infusion thing.

I’m positive, have been for a while (tested 3 times) but asymptotic so far .
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I hope the doctors give her some good medicine. Around here they just put you on a ventilator. Prayers to get well sent.
Posted By: g5m Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Best wishes with this.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Remove the hysterical emotion that it is Covid...

And treat it like any other disease or illness.

Take the medicines recommended... lots of fluids and rest.

There are many things far more deadly than the Wu flu.

Perspective is 90% of the battle.

Good luck to her and we will add you to our Prayers.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Hope you both start feeling better soon, crappy Christmas to remember.

Last Christmas Eve I got hit with the flu. Sick all day Christmas Eve, and for about a week thereafter. Very strange symptoms for the flu, to include such severe shoulder joint pain that I almost literally couldn't use my arms, and that pain was slow to fade. Took months. The shoulder pain came on day one of the flu symptoms. I spent all Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in bed, getting up only to try to get some nutrition and use the bathroom. Too weak and sick to do anything other than sleep. Gradually, over about a week, I got well enough for reasonably normal activity, but that shoulder pain was much slower to fade away.

I've since wondered if I was an early case of COVID19.

Anyway, I hope your wife gets over it fast. Stay safe.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Sorry Paul. Good luck.
Posted By: efw Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Hope she gets an easy case!

We had it in our house and for the kids and me it was a bad cold with some body aches and loss of smell/taste. Poor wife had GI issues, severe fatigue, and it lasted a while.

A lot of variance in symptoms for people I’ve talked to.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Her doctor has told her to do nothing other than isolate for 7 days minimum. I find it odd that at this point we haven't established any best practices relative to early interventions. NOTHING is to be taken prophylactically?
Posted By: ATC Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Sorry to hear. I'm in the same boat. Wife tested positive on Monday, mine was negative. She'll be spending Christmas in the bedroom while I'm in the living room. Stay safe.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
My wifes Dr. told us to quarantine for 14 days. I don't care cause I feel like crap anyway. But it seems they're all over the place with numbers.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Godspeed, remember it is early treatment that counts.
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Hellavu institution we have, the Modern Medicine Marvel, lol. NOTHING they recommend to take prophylactically, because most Doc's don't know and haven't been told. 90% of their practice has been dictated by Pharma. they know jack-sh*t about health. They deal drugs, cover symptoms with chemicals. Period. Causation is not in their interest, chronic " meds" ( chemical compounds with numerous side effects) is where the money is at.

The isn't a lot of profit in HQC and zinc and Vit D....the real money is in ICU medicare billing and a mandated vaccine...hundreds of millions of units....

You are correct. It IS odd. It's VERY ODD that the medical community in one of the most advanced countries in the world offers no advice, BUT TO ISOLATE. Not only odd, but criminally inept, IMO. YMMV
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Get well soon!!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I pray she gets well soon!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I pray you and your wife do well Paul.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by MichieD
My sister in law has it, aches/fever/runs. She doesn't work, but her husband is still working, you know, because they're both staunch democrats and union people, so it doesn't apply to them.

From all the people that I know (including a daughter and son) that have had COVID none of them mentioned the runs as a symptom. Is your sister in law sure she's not a false positive with just the flu?

Paul, I hope you don't test positive and that your wife gets over it quickly.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I hope she feels better soon. I’m sure that it’s scary in the moment but odds are overwhelmingly good that you both will feel better in a few days and have it behind you.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Have your wife try to stay as active as possible. Just lying around does no good. Try to keep the lungs clear.
I had a "mild" case and it worked for me. I have sinus problems from "stuff" in the fall and I thought it was just taking longer than normal to clear up. Then my wife and I were out for a walk and she smelled someone cooking with the kitchen exhaust fan on. I couldn't smell it. Then she said someone was burning wood in the fireplace, and I couldn't smell that, either. My symptoms weren't that bad, just long lasting. It's been 5+ weeks and I still have a bit of a cough.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

From all the people that I know (including a daughter and son) that have had COVID none of them mentioned the runs as a symptom. Is your sister in law sure she's not a false positive with just the flu?

It is a symptom sometimes. Mrs slumlord gets 15-20 cases a day, I hear it being discussed while making a sammy 😐

But then many people don’t even run a temperature.

Any virus has the potential to upturn the digestive system.
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Hope she gets well soon Paul.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20

My wife and I are on about day 10. They gave me a double steroid dose yesterday to try to turn away pneumonia. The clinic said that a 160 dose of steroids had showed more impact on it than about anything they’ve done. Keep an eye on oxygen levels and do some deep breathing exercises and try to move around.

We’ve been on zinc, vit d and vit c for years but it still got us.

Turning to pneumonia is the big worry.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Sorry to hear this Paul, best wishes for you both.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Tough situation. All our best for a quick recovery...
Bearcat, is your steroid an inhaler or injection? Or tablet?
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
So sorry buddy. I'll lift her up.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Her doctor has told her to do nothing other than isolate for 7 days minimum. I find it odd that at this point we haven't established any best practices relative to early interventions. NOTHING is to be taken prophylactically?
I am sorry for you, as this must be discouraging. My wife is thoroughly convinced about some helpful therapies - I think she is correct but do not go around spewing advice. if you wish such info, just send a PM. Hope you both are getting better soon.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
That's a heck of a Christmas present, hope all goes well. I'd be making some calls trying to find another doctor. Your wife needs to be on a Z pak, prednisone and large doses of zinc and vitamin D at a very minimum. Seems to me if your one of the one's that the China flu hits hard, waiting is the wrong treatment.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Prayers send Paul .
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Bearcat, is your steroid an inhaler or injection? Or tablet?

Double dose was an injection

My wife tested positive first. The clinic told her to go rest and gave her a rocephin shot.

I went the next day and got a steroid shot, rocephin shot, prednisone pills and a a pack.

Our oxygen levels stayed 96-98 but it felt like we were both smothering. When we went back they checked us out again, said all clear but will give double steroid injection to wife because she didn’t have an injection the first time. After a minute they said I didn’t look like I had osteoporosis so I would get the double dose injection.

That was yesterday and we both feel better than we have in awhile.

They also put us on a baby aspirin per day because of blood clots. We don’t have them but they’re trying to prevent them.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Prayers and get a different doctor stat.
Posted By: Deans Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Prayers sent.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I'm thinking the Dr. is doing triage based on age and basic health plus comorbidities. I am asympto but positive at age 60 with no issues otherwise. So it bounced off me, but it zapped my Dad inside of two weeks, he was 85 and pretty much a train wreck already because of the life he'd led. But if you have good immunity and don't catch many colds or flus, then you're very unlikely to croak. But if you're comorbid -- if you don't die, you'll almost certainly suffer.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

It is a symptom sometimes. Mrs slumlord gets 15-20 cases a day, I hear it being discussed while making a sammy 😐

But then many people don’t even run a temperature.

Any virus has the potential to upturn the digestive system.

Thanks. I figured it was possible but that is one symptom that I haven't heard all year from anyone. I'm sure your wife would know though. And I'm also sure that if I end up with the RONA I will be one of the ones with the Sheitz.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Paul, hope she feels better real soon!
Posted By: moosemike Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Best wishes. I've been dealing with the effects of Covid since right after Thanksgiving. Its been miserable
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by moosemike
Best wishes. I've been dealing with the effects of Covid since right after Thanksgiving. Its been miserable

First of all, Paul, hope your wife gets through it quickly....Bad timing with the Holidays.

Then Mike, The more I hear about cases such has yours, I wonder if the vaccine would be beneficial to me.

Most of the people that I know of who've had it, recovered in a few days, others were not so lucky.
Posted By: HughW Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Hopefully everything turns out well and wishing your wife all the best for a quick recovery.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
I hope she gets better soon.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20

Spread the love, right?
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/24/20
Prayers from here, Paul.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by moosemike

First of all, Paul, hope your wife gets through it quickly....Bad timing with the Holidays.

Then Mike, The more I hear about cases such has yours, I wonder if the vaccine would be beneficial to me.

Most of the people that I know of who've had it, recovered in a few days, others were not so lucky.

If the vaccine works and is safe I'm all for it. I wish I could gave gotten it before Covid got a hold of me
Posted By: andy57 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
Prayers for her speedy recovery.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
Paul, Praying now. Fat says to get a new doctor and I agree. The wife says she watched a video saying even though you can feel strong enough, this stuff can move fast on taking over your lungs. No way to tell when to act.

Jag had some recommendations on my thread about my "lifelong friends daughter". Might look at that.
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20

Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are symptoms. The Mrs tested positive earlier this week . Her other symptoms are low grade fever and Fatigue.
Dr said Tylenol to control fever and hydrating. .and watch for breathing issues
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20

I had something 2 years ago. I lived on over the counter cold and flu medicine that had tylenol and some kind of antihistamine in it, NyQuill and aspirin. Don't forget the aspirin since this thing clots the blood. I had some really hard coughing that I needed to get control of. That was the hardest part. I had 3 bad days then 3 really bad days I thought I had pnuemonia and then 3 more bad days. By day 10 I was almost human again. It took me another 10 days to be "normal".

kwg
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
Spoke to a doc friend who had it bad a few weeks ago. He said take 50 of zinc 2x a day, Vtamin D, Pepcid 20 mg 2x a day and 5 days after symptoms set in, steroid to address the inflimation in the lungs along with Zithromax, to prevent or treat any developing pneumonia. Pretty simple formula to stay ahead of it.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20

I tested positive for it three weeks ago. I had two of the rapid antigen tests and a PCR test, all three came back positive. I have a cousin that's a pharmacist and this is what he gave me:

50 mg zinc twice a day
500 mg Vitamin C twice a day
20 mg Famotidine (pepcid AC) twice a day.
600 mg mucinex ER twice a day
4000 IU Vitamin D3 once a day
10 mg cetirizine (zyrtec) once a day
250 mg Azithromycin (Z pack) taken once a day for the first five days.

All of these are over the counter except the Z pack I think.

My symptoms were minor and I'm back at work now. It didn't really rise to the level of an average cold for me. I also essentially confined myself to bedrest for my 10 day quarantine, I pretty much just moved between the bed and the couch, I slept a LOT and rarely went outside in the cold. I've known several people that had it worse than me and all of them used the quarantine time to do work around the house, go hunting, etc.. I think that's a bad idea, you need to keep it out of your chest and the way to do that is by not exerting yourself.

I can't swear that this regime of medicine and bedrest is what kept it minor for me, but I feel it had a lot to do with it.

Posted By: Vek Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
If you have 45 minutes to spare, google up the senator Johnson hearing with the 3 MDs who discuss outpatient care. Then figure out how to get your hands on what they recommend. If you do nothing for 7 days as recommended by your MD and others, and her case blows up, that's on you.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
That blows Paul.

Best wishes to you both.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/25/20
I tested positive 2 weeks ago today. Lost my sense of taste and smell, had some minor body aches, ran a low grade fever at night for a couple days, and had a really stuffed up nose and sinuses. Thank God I had a minor case and was over it within a week. I was given a Z-Pac and a cough medicine to take as needed but fortunately I did not need it. Somehow, my wife did not get it, nor did our son get it. That was my biggest fear that my wife and son would get it.

My son is 22 and works as a RN on a unit that keeps up to 5 Covid patients at a time. I take Vitamin C & D anyway but he had me taking Zinc and 10mg of Melatonin every night right before bed. He said he does not know why, but every Covid patient he has worked with is given Melatonin at night. I'm not sure if this batch of meds did anything but I did a lot of praying, did a lot of resting, drank a lot of water, and forced myself to eat.

Prayers and best of luck to you and your family.

I forgot to add....I also took Mucinex and Alka Selzer Cold Plus really loosened up my sinus and nasal congestion.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Laurie is slightly worse today. I am much worse than I was yesterday. Still not horrible. At this point it's about like a moderate cold. Hoping to tomorrow finds us better.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Take two shots of whiskey . You’ll live
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I tested positive for it three weeks ago. I had two of the rapid antigen tests and a PCR test, all three came back positive. I have a cousin that's a pharmacist and this is what he gave me:

50 mg zinc twice a day

All of these are over the counter except the Z pack I think.

My symptoms were minor and I'm back at work now. It didn't really rise to the level of an average cold for me. I also essentially confined myself to bedrest for my 10 day quarantine, I pretty much just moved between the bed and the couch, I slept a LOT and rarely went outside in the cold. I've known several people that had it worse than me and all of them used the quarantine time to do work around the house, go hunting, etc.. I think that's a bad idea, you need to keep it out of your chest and the way to do that by not exerting yourself.

I can't swear that this regime of medicine and bedrest is what kept it minor for me, but I feel it had a lot to do with it.

Excellent post, thanks for the complete info on doses and the part about rest.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Hang in there Paul.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Called my Dr’s office the other day about the vaccine. No word yet, but it’s unlikely they’ll be giving the shots as the stuff has to be specially stored like the shingles vaccine. Maybe the pharmacies will have it.
Posted By: sse Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
50 mg zinc twice a day

where do you get all that stuff?

hope it's just a come and go!
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by sse
50 mg zinc twice a day

where do you get all that stuff?

Any pharmacy will have it.
TY
Waking up on day three or four with this, I feel like someone beat me over the head with a 10 pound bag of dill does. Laurie didn't sleep much at all. She's feeling pretty ragged.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Waking up on day three or four with this, I feel like someone beat me over the head with a 10 pound bag of dill does. Laurie didn't sleep much at all. She's feeling pretty ragged.

If you die from this we will forever call you the guy who got beat to death with a bag of [bleep]
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
I'm praying to Saint Floyd for you

Perhaps some of his preferred medication would help? Or just some plain old tylenol.
Posted By: Steve Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Wow! Get well soon. Any idea how she caught it?
Posted By: TheTexan Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
My wife tested positive on December 1st and is just now getting normal sleep. We isolated her to an upstairs bedroom for 2 weeks and I just delivered food throughout the day. She took Vitamin C, D, and Zinc everyday. She had trouble breathing, deep cough, rash, and a few other symptoms, but never had to go see a doctor. On the evening of the 4th I got a headache late evening and went to bed early. Felt like crap that entire night, but got up the next morning like normal. Took care of the wife all day and did some things around the house, then started feeling like crap again late afternoon. I again went to be early and slept/felt like crap all night. Woke up Sunday with no smell and a dulled sense of taste, but overall felt good. I never developed any other symptoms and was back to normal by the 9th. I am 54 and feel very lucky after seeing the symptoms my wife has gone through. I know it affects people in different ways, but a bad case of the flu is what she is saying. We were cautious prior to getting it and will continue to be for others, but it not going to run our lives.
Posted By: viking Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
I haven’t read all of it, but did y’all loose your taste and smell?

I lost mine around 10/05 and still haven’t completely recovered those scenes, little by little though.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Hoping for good and timely recovery for your wife, and anyone who gets it.
My wife had it and it kicked the crap out of her.
I suspect I may have had it but with no symptoms.

I will take the shot when offered.
Originally Posted by viking

I lost mine around 10/05 and still haven’t completely recovered those scenes, little by little though.

Laurie hasn't lost her sense of taste and smell, but they have been dulled. Mine still seems normal.
Posted By: antlers Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Hope she ends up makin’ it her bitch.
Posted By: antlers Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Posted By: gunzo Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by viking

Laurie hasn't lost her sense of taste and smell, but they have been dulled. Mine still seems normal.

My wife lost her taste & smell on day one of her symptoms. I lost mine on day 3. We are now at day 8. We both can pick up on certain spices but that's about it. Salt, pepper, or sweet.

Just a look at another timeline for ya to compare.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/26/20
Had some symptoms (also sinus infection symptoms) but it kicked
my ass. Spent a weekend in bed, barely left. Worked Monday and Tuesday.
Tuesday afternoon, realized I hadn't smelled or tasted anything for a
couple days. Got an appointment, Doc diagnosed sinus infection and
antibiotics. Ask if I wanted tested. I didn't want the hassel and ask how
certain she was of her diagnosis.

"We have had covid patients. It hits them quicker and harder than you described.
I'm comfortable with a simple infection?"

So no test.

Was already feeling better, but took the pills and took the rest of the week off.

That's been several months.
My smeller still doesn't work.

And I have seen a couple diagnosed cases that exactly mirror mine.

Doesn't mean chidtz.

But at least I don't smell it.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
I feel MUCH better this morning. I was hopeful that Laurie would be improved as well. Laurie says her sinuses feel like she snorted Tabasco sauce. She can't smell or taste anything.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
So ‘Dutch Ovens’ are no fun then.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: OldHat Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by antlers

Oh, that is funny!
Posted By: gulo Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by CashisKing

"...treat it like any other disease or illness."

Oh, I see. So next time i catch a cold i should get a round of chemo?

Great advice.
Posted By: sse Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by gulo

Great advice.

LOL
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Wife Has Covid - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by gulo

Great advice.

Wow people really do lose all mental faculties when discussing the super scary covid.

Grow up, it's a cold....or keep hiding in the basement.

Ps I'm still praying to St. Floyd for you paulie
© 24hourcampfire