Home
Posted By: jackmountain Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Bought these as a spare maybe 2 years ago. Finally wore out my last pair after 7 years so got these out to break in last night. Within 10 minutes I noticed the edges of the sole sort of crumbling. Then this, on both boots. Anyone ever seen such a thing? Stored indoors in a room in the basement. Cabelas discontinued the meindl line so I’m sure no recourse there. I’ve owned 5 pairs snd ordered a pair direct from meindl USA tonight to replace. Just curious what would’ve caused this?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Chinese glue?

Seems saw a thread about this.

Posted By: Springcove Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I had a pair of Vasques do that. That sucks
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Pretty common with Polyurethane soles... regardless of manufacturer... happens from age, not use.

https://www.safetyjogger.com/en/eu/technical/hydrolysis#:~:text=Hydrolysis%20is%20the%20chemical%20breakdown,by%20warmth%20and%20high%20humidity.
Posted By: RHutch Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I had the exact same pair do that 3 weeks ago. Mine were purchased in 2012 and always stored in my closet.
Haven’t checked for recourse as I have a few pairs of boots.
Posted By: jimdgc Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I believe they are leaving something out of the rubber compound. Everything rubber fails much faster than it used to. Rocky Mountain Resole can fix those.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Send to Dave Page for a resole if you like them. Love my Meindls, but wouldn’t buy the Cabelas branded ones.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Chinese glue?

Seems saw a thread about this.

I saw a similar thread not that long ago. Obviously the midsole rotted away but I have no idea what would cause it. Maybe bad glue as you said.
Posted By: Adamjp Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Moisture.

Like many boots with that molded Polyurethane construction they don't like humid environments.

There is no glue involved - the boot is placed in a mold, which is then filled with the PU sole. Comes out as one piece.

They will last for decades when kept dry, but if allowed to soak up humidity the rubber essentially de-links and you get what happened to your boots.

Pity, they are really good boots and should not have died that early.
Posted By: wvshooter Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Common thing with the Cabelas Meindl boots. My buddy and I both had our soles delaminate on our Meindl's after a few years. He took his to a shoe repair shop but the fix didn't last.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Same thing happened to mine except they were 10+ years old
Posted By: Aviator Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Yep just retired a pair because of that...I’ve had a couple pair over the years same thing.
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
It's called quality control - if you can control the quality to wear out or fail within a certian time frame, you can sell another pair. Everyone, it seems, has gone that direction instead of quality improvement. I'd contact Meindl directly and air it out. For what you paid, they should make it right.
Posted By: antlers Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Every single pair of Rocky’s I’ve ever had did the same thing, the bottom of the boot just disintegrated.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Some of the rubber components in the machines I serviced would just disintegrate, not worn out just melt or crumble. We called it "timing out". Some of the mfg said ozone was a factor but some of the machines didn't generate any at all. Later on we had replacements still in the bag fail so we knew it wasn't any solvents or other cleaners the techs were using.
I could see whatever glue they used to bond the sole attacking the other side?
As I said above. Send to Dave Page for a re sole. I sent him a pair in November and got them back 5 weeks from the day I mailed them good as new.

Meindl doesn’t care what happened to the Cabelas branded boots.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I’ve had multiples of the hikers and hunters and no issues. These were brand new and kept the same place o keep all my guns, reloading equipment, fishing gear etc.
Ordered a pair from Meindl USA to replace because they’re the most Comfortable boot I’ve ever owned.
Looking at Danner Santiam’s as an alternative though. Used to wear Danner’s exclusively til I switched to meindl.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
As I said above. Send to Dave Page for a re sole. I sent him a pair in November and got them back 5 weeks from the day I mailed them good as new.

I’ll check into it now.
Anyone owned the Meindl USA boots and can speak to the quality?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
My son and I both had something like that happen with some Rocky Stalkers years ago. The soles either disintegrated or separated from the rest of the boot after just one or two seasons.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
My last pair of perfekt hunters did the same thing this fall only on the front and I ordered the comfort Hunter from Mendel to replace them. 7 years old.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than having the boots come apart on you that all is more or less as it needs to be.

While my information is now years old, way back when I picked up my Meindl boots up here across the medicine line - I want to say they are Dovre Extremes - they looked close to what Cabelas sold as the Canada model, but there were subtle differences.

That said, there's no way yours should delaminate like that and if you ever find out what caused it I'd be interested in hearing what it was.

Sorry I couldn't be more help sir, but I will add my hunting partner picked up some Santiam boots by Danner a few years back and he loves them. He's a bigger fellow and I've found larger folks tend to go through more boots than smaller chaps such as myself.

My old Hood Winter Lights from Danner were absolutely wonderful boots as well and once these Meindl die, I'll likely return to US made Danners with a stitch down sole.

Good luck with the boots and hopefully all else will be better this year for you folks.

Dwayne
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I have two pair here exactly the same. One pair is nearly new.
Today’s rubber and glue probably aren’t what they used to be due to several issues. Seems like for many people it’s boots not worn often that develop rot, but maybe it’s just farther along when you notice it.

I’ve had a Cabelas branded Meindls and several Rockies disintegrate that sat for a year or so and have Meindls, HanWags, and Kenetreks that are worn regularly go many years before needing resoled.

I think you need two good pair of boots at all times in case one craps the bed.
Originally Posted by BC30cal

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than having the boots come apart on you that all is more or less as it needs to be.

While my information is now years old, way back when I picked up my Meindl boots up here across the medicine line - I want to say they are Dovre Extremes - they looked close to what Cabelas sold as the Canada model, but there were subtle differences.

That said, there's no way yours should delaminate like that and if you ever find out what caused it I'd be interested in hearing what it was.

Sorry I couldn't be more help sir, but I will add my hunting partner picked up some Santiam boots by Danner a few years back and he loves them. He's a bigger fellow and I've found larger folks tend to go through more boots than smaller chaps such as myself.

My old Hood Winter Lights from Danner were absolutely wonderful boots as well and once these Meindl die, I'll likely return to US made Danners with a stitch down sole.

Good luck with the boots and hopefully all else will be better this year for you folks.

Dwayne

Appreciate it Dwayne,
I think I’ll order the Santiams or the Canadians tonight. I’ve always had good service from danner and wore their Foreman GTX for years with the white wedge sole. Perfect for construction.
Today’s rubber and glue probably aren’t what they used to be do to several issues. Seems like for many people it’s boots not worn often that develop rot, but maybe it’s just farther along when you notice it.

I’ve had a Cabelas branded Meindls and several Rockies disintegrate that sat for a year or so and have Meindls, HanWags, and Kenetreks that are worn regularly go many years before needing resoled.

I think you need two good pair of boots at all times in case one craps the bed.

Undoubtedly and normally do. I wear boots everyday of the year and with these going down straight out of the box, I’ll be wearing my uninsulated perfekt hikers til my new ones arrive later this week. Supposed to be above freezing all week thankfully.
Posted By: add Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Yep.

Shelf life of the glue issue.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
jackmountain;
Good evening again and thanks for the reply.

I just went on the Danner site and was looking at the difference between the Hood Winter Light, Santiam and Canadian.

The Canadian looks like a great skookum boot for sure! cool

The choice will be whether you want 400gr or 600gr insulation more or less then.

As I said, the Hood Winter Lights lasted well into the second set of soles being used for hunting, hiking and firewood cutting here in the BC Interior mountains. They're not as stiff for sure as they used to be, but then too they didn't need to be broken in nearly as long as the Meindl either, which were a bit of a task actually.

Good luck again and if you do find out an answer and feel like letting us know I'd be interested to learn what went on with your pair.

Dwayne
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Some of the rubber components in the machines I serviced would just disintegrate, not worn out just melt or crumble. We called it "timing out". Some of the mfg said ozone was a factor but some of the machines didn't generate any at all. Later on we had replacements still in the bag fail so we knew it wasn't any solvents or other cleaners the techs were using.
I could see whatever glue they used to bond the sole attacking the other side?

Almost looks like the material closest to the sole got ate by something all right. I've got about a 15 year old pair of Meindl Islanders not a Cabelas contract, bought from a small independent touch wood they have no issues anywhere yet.
Posted By: viking Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I had it happen to a pair of Brownings. The attic heat in Texas killed them.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I had the Cabelas Mountian Hiker II boots which I’m sure were made by Meindl. Same thing happed after about 12 years of use (strictly deer hunting boots only). Cabela’s warrants their brand, I sent them in and got a new set of boots free of charge.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
I had the Cabelas Mountian Hiker II boots which I’m sure were made by Meindl. Same thing happed after about 12 years of use (strictly deer hunting boots only). Cabela’s warrants their brand, I sent them in and got a new set of boots free of charge.

They’ve dropped the meindl line.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by antlers
Every single pair of Rocky’s I’ve ever had did the same thing, the bottom of the boot just disintegrated.

Truth
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers

Truth

Haven’t messed with Rocky since 1997. Corn stalkers, all cordura. Wish you could still find those.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
jackmountain,

I had a pair of Lowa Tibets that I had had for 12 years or so but had actually worn very little do that. I was told that age will do that to that type of boot construction but most people, unlike me, who purchase this type of hiking boots wear them enough to wear out the uppers and soles before they delaminate from age. You obviously had a little different issue since yours are not that old.

About those Danner Canadians, I had a pair of those I wore hard for many years (that's why I didn't wear the Lowa's much) and just gave them to my grandson an he is still getting good use out of them. They are a great boot.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Had this very thing happen to my Cabela's Meindl's this November while hunting with my Son. Had to Gorilla Glue the bottoms on to get through the 4 days opf hunting in Michigan. I called them "Frankenboots" because of all the expanded glue sticking out of the edges! LOL
Same thing here, looks like it's a trend.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I think it's called sole rot, I had a pair of Rocky's do it some years ago. My father recently passed and while cleaning out the garage he had a brand new pair of Browning Codura bird hunting boots, when I picked them up the soles disintegrated!
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
What you need is a USA made boot with a Goodyear welt, i.e. Thorogood.

Imagine if that happened while out in the field - miles away from the truck. That would suck and is a good reason not to ever purchase injection-molded soles - especially ones MIC.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I’ve had three pairs do that in the equatorial belt, one new, one near new and one a bit over a year old.

Agent in Singapore stopped dealing with Meindl over the issue. Best thing is to get them resoled with vibram.

Wore one pair for nearly a year in Tanzania, left them there for seven months and they were rooted when I got back. Had to do all my field work in Timberland shoes.

A brand new pair at home in Singapore were thrown out by housemate as he thought they were his and the soles looked like yours.

A pair I had for about five years here in Aus finally succumbed.

Shame, they are great for my feet.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
The curious want to know. When was the last time you washed your feet?
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Boot-mites!
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I went on a 7 mile stalk in the PA mountains during deer season on a rainy day. This is what my boots looked like when I was done.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I attributed it to age given the fact that the boots were 10 years old. I had noticed some separation the year before and shot some shoe glue in the seems but it did not hold. I have since upgraded and bought 2 pairs of Danner's and I hope I never have the problem again. It was that soft spongy layer between the boot insole and the tread that makes boots comfortable that the glue failed on in my case.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
They’ve dropped the meindl line.

I never replaced mine with Meindl because they didn’t carry that style of boot anymore and after 12 years the boot prices had doubled, they gave me $110 credit and I ended up buying a pair of Irish Setters,
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Rocky boots are junk. I sure wouldn't buy the same brand of boots again and expect different results. I have a pair of Cabela's outfitter boots I bought in 1992 that I still wear whenever it's really cold.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21

Degradation of the materials used in the sole of the boot. May have read somewhere that it’s exposure to ozone?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21

Originally Posted by ROMAC
I went on a 7 mile stalk in the PA mountains during deer season on a rainy day. This is what my boots looked like when I was done.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I attributed it to age given the fact that the boots were 10 years old. I had noticed some separation the year before and shot some shoe glue in the seems but it did not hold. I have since upgraded and bought 2 pairs of Danner's and I hope I never have the problem again. It was that soft spongy layer between the boot insole and the tread that makes boots comfortable that the glue failed on in my case.

I had the exact same thing happen to a pair of Timberland boots. It even happened on a PA mountain.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I've got an old pair of Herman Survivors for cold days, an old pair of Danner boots for fall days and a pair of Rocky boots for going to the range. The Rocky's are garbage but the are paid for and are broken in,
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Wife had a pair of Merrell's do that to her while we were hiking Katahdin half a dozen years back.

I had a pair of Keens also fail on me.

Both companies gave us credit toward new pairs.

I could not repair the Merrell's because the foam glue layer kept disintegrating. I was however able to repair the Keens with 3M 5200 adhesive... a roll of electrical tape to hold everything in place while the adhesive set for a week.

Just as an FYI 3M 5200 adhesive is probably the greatest adhesive ever made. Used a small dab to reattach the rear view mirror mounting bracket to the windshield glass on my truck just last week.

I've also used 5200 on sheet metal to make a sheet metal plywood sandwich to repair holes in mower decks.

My dump truck bed it's starting to have some wear holes. I will sandwich another layer of 14 gauge sheet metal on top of the existing base metal and draw down with wide flange pop rivets. It will probably buy me another five years until I have to rebuild the bed completely.

I could go on but this is about shoes and not the incredible and he's qualities of 5200.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Ive got a couple pairs of Danners that are 20 + years old. Had them refurbished by Danner and wear em all the time still. Had some Meindls come n go during that time.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
If you can't find the 5200, E6000 works great too.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I cannot personally speak about 511 boots, but I've been extremely impressed with much of their clothing... I would try a pair of their boots if I had the need.

511 also seems to be a very Pro LEO EMS conservative type company.

I am wearing a 511 poly coat at the moment (that I caught on sale for about 60-70% off). I would say the quality and weight rival Patagonia every step of the way. And at $35 it sure was worth a test drive for me.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Meindle will have nothing to do with the Cabelas contract Meindle USA boots. Cabelas will not warranty them.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
This is one reason I try to buy only boots with Goodyear-welt sole construction.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I've had two pairs of Meindls do that one Cabela's meindl the other one I ordered from some place in Canada they were not Cabela's branded, it's an age thing has nothing to do with how much you wear them I really don't think it has much to do with where you store them mine were stored in a dry heat pump control environment worn very little and the souls basically fell apart Cabela's stood by the first pair and offered me a replacement pair. Mendel wouldn't stand by me a bit and the pair that were Mendel not Cabela's they look brand-new when that happened they were about 5 years old
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I cannot personally speak about 511 boots, but I've been extremely impressed with much of their clothing... I would try a pair of their boots if I had the need.

511 also seems to be a very Pro LEO EMS conservative type company.

I am wearing a 511 poly coat at the moment (that I caught on sale for about 60-70% off). I would say the quality and weight rival Patagonia every step of the way. And at $35 it sure was worth a test drive for me.

Dont. They suck.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Made in china
Posted By: Docbar Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
My Mendel Perfects did the same. I only wore them a handful of times over a couple of years. Fairly short hikes too.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
My son and I both had something like that happen with some Rocky Stalkers years ago. The soles either disintegrated or separated from the rest of the boot after just one or two seasons.

Yep. I got more seasons than that out of these Rocky hunting shoes, but the issue is time IMO. The compounds shoe makers are using simply crumble after so many years. So if they sat on the shelf a long time ...

Aside from the compound failing before the rest of the shoes wearing out, these were some comfortable hunting shoes. I've had the same happen to other brands of shoes simply sitting in the closet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Rocky boots are junk. I sure wouldn't buy the same brand of boots again and expect different results. I have a pair of Cabela's outfitter boots I bought in 1992 that I still wear whenever it's really cold.

I wouldn't count on a pair of the same boots if they were still made today lasting that long. It isn't 1992 anymore.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Molded glued sole shoes are ok for some things I wear Keens a lot but if you want good reliable work or hunting boots hand made with sewn on soles will always be my choice.
Posted By: aalf Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
I had a pair of Rocky Bearclaws that I saved just for winter coyote hunting. Took a trip to SD, and walking to the very first set, I was leaving a trail of rubber Helen Keller could have followed.

I ended up getting them resoled locally.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Looks like some Chinese molded vinyl glued to some sort of leather/vinyl upper. Get something like American made Whites Boots that are composed of saddle leather, triple or better stitched, with soles held on with stitching, glue, and screws. They also do rebuilds when one wears the bottoms out, and do custom builds as well.

Expensive, but damned well worth it. I do not tolerate failure, presently own four pair, and have lived 24/7 in them since 1982.

Danner may make a good boot, but I went away from them when they went through an era of producing lightweight yuppie trail walking leather/Gore-Tex stuff. Had a pair of their vintage rock climbers that wore out 4 sets of vibram soles. Then they went out of production.

Have a friend that returned from an Alaska Dall sheep hunt with duct tape holding his Meindl's together. Without duct tape, he would have been screwed.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Looks like some Chinese molded vinyl glued to some sort of leather/vinyl upper. Get something like American made Whites Boots that are composed of saddle leather, triple or better stitched, with soles held on with stitching, glue, and screws. They also do rebuilds when one wears the bottoms out, and do custom builds as well.

Expensive, but damned well worth it. I do not tolerate failure, presently own four pair, and have lived 24/7 in them since 1982.

Danner may make a good boot, but I went away from them when they went through an era of producing lightweight yuppie trail walking leather/Gore-Tex stuff. Had a pair of their vintage rock climbers that wore out 4 sets of vibram soles. Then they went out of production.

Have a friend that returned from an Alaska Dall sheep hunt with duct tape holding his Meindl's together. Without duct tape, he would have been screwed.

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week. Sure the sole is stitched on....but the welt will fall off. [Linked Image]
https://i.postimg.cc/9MwNC9nr/20190310-153304.jpg
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Had that happen to a pair of Danner. Had them several years but rarely wore them. Danner said so sorry, that happens to old boots.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
My Dads employer gave him $100/year to buy work boots.
He usually got two years out of a pair.
Still, using their catalogs he bought a pair annually.
Probably had 5-10 pair in the closet when he retired.

When he needed a new pair to wear traveling, he found his oldest
ones had gummy/separated soles.

There were only on or two pair that weren't degraded.
Posted on this topic so often I'm weary of it, but if you want to hear my sad Meindl story, try to find it in the archives. I don't do randed boots. Which is too bad, as the Meindl Perfekts were the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For living room use they would have excelled.

My current warm weather boots are Danner Reckoning. Cold weather Red Wing Elk Hunters.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Posted on this topic so often I'm weary of it, but if you want to hear my sad Meindl story, try to find it in the archives. I don't do randed boots. Which is too bad, as the Meindl Perfekts were the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. For living room use they would have excelled.

My current warm weather boots are Danner Reckoning. Cold weather Red Wing Elk Hunters.

What are randed boots?

If the Danner Reckoning will hold up under an infantryman's feet, they should hold up to anything!
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/02/21
Rand is the rubber strip that some boots have that covers the seam between the sole and the boot. (Black strip in the pic) Old style boots don't use a rand.

[Linked Image from farlows.co.uk]
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Thanks. ^^^
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21

Mine did the exact same thing in November while I was hiking out an elk on my back in the dark in Wyoming. Fortunately I had my Keen boots in the truck which saved the day. I sent Meindl an email and this was their response. Sucks because I really like my Meindls but I think I'm going to change brands.

Thank you for reaching out to us and your interest in Meindl boots. Unfortunately, at this time we do not do any repairs out of our office. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.
We have provided a link below to Dave’s website which has all of his contact info. Please reach out to him via email or phone and he’ll be able to walk you through the process and give you some costing estimates.

www.davepagecobbler.com

All the best,
Meindl USA
Originally Posted by Springcove
I had a pair of Vasques do that.

I did too several years ago.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Highcountry:

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week

That image does not even remotely resemble the Whites Packers in my care. Looks like some Chinese rip-off.

White's Packers link
Posted By: Aviator Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Mine did the exact same thing in November while I was hiking out an elk on my back in the dark in Wyoming. Fortunately I had my Keen boots in the truck which saved the day. I sent Meindl an email and this was their response. Sucks because I really like my Meindls but I think I'm going to change brands.

Thank you for reaching out to us and your interest in Meindl boots. Unfortunately, at this time we do not do any repairs out of our office. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.
We have provided a link below to Dave’s website which has all of his contact info. Please reach out to him via email or phone and he’ll be able to walk you through the process and give you some costing estimates.

www.davepagecobbler.com

All the best,
Meindl USA

In other words “sorry bout your luck”

Was this pair the new ones from Meindl USA or the Cabelas branded model?
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by Aviator

In other words “sorry bout your luck”

Was this pair the new ones from Meindl USA or the Cabelas branded model?

Pretty much. My local cobbler said they can fix them but I haven't brought them in. I'm wondering if I should just get some new boots.

They are the Cabela's branded model. I didn't even try asking Cabela's since they don't sell them anymore and are owned by BassPro.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
add Meindl to the list with Rocky. Make crap and don't stand behind them
Posted By: Huntz Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Wash your feet once in a while.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
Highcountry:

I had a pair of whites rip the whole welt off in less than a week

That image does not even remotely resemble the Whites Packers in my care. Looks like some Chinese rip-off.

White's Packers link

Perhaps one of these? https://whitesboots.com/foreman/safety/
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Sent David page an email. Depending on cost I’ll probably give that a try since they’re brand new never worn.
Ordered a pair of Danner Santiam’s today.
Just got this in an email from meindl LOL

We are very proud of our boots and the materials we chose to build them. As with choice we make, the materials we chose have positives and negatives. We chose PU because it is the best material for mountain boots, even with its drawbacks.

I do feel there is value in you having your boots resoled as your uppers are in great, like new, condition. It happens everyday. It's similar to putting new tires on your car. We have many happy customers who have resoled their boots. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.

www.davepagecobbler.com

Please let us know if we can help answer any other questions you may have.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Just remember an Asian company now owns Danner, Whites Boots, La Cross etc.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
1 minute is correct, White's boots. I prefer the smoke jumpers to the packers. There are a few other good boot makes I like. West Coast " Wesco" makes good boots. Their pull on Engineer boots, their loggers are a great boot and wear well. Danner made in USA are also acceptable.. The Irish Setter boots are now made in China, they are twice the boot Meindl will ever be! Just get your wallet out when you go for good boots! Dont confuse quality with price, Meindl are not cheap to buy, just to build!
I have no problem spending money for quality. I’ve had several pairs of meindl and wore the soles through to the cork with no issues. Wearing hikers now.
I’d never heard about any failures til now to be honest.
Anyway, can’t wait to get the Danners and see how they fit.
My previous pairs were nice but not as comfortable like my meindls have been.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
I had a pair squirreled away as backups for several years, and they did that too.
Posted By: MichieD Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Bought these as a spare maybe 2 years ago. Finally wore out my last pair after 7 years so got these out to break in last night. Within 10 minutes I noticed the edges of the sole sort of crumbling. Then this, on both boots. Anyone ever seen such a thing? Stored indoors in a room in the basement. Cabelas discontinued the meindl line so I’m sure no recourse there. I’ve owned 5 pairs snd ordered a pair direct from meindl USA tonight to replace. Just curious what would’ve caused this?

Those look like Rocky boots. I loved them at one point till they all started to do that. Hell, my last 2 pair of Mucks have been crap too.

I swear to Christ, no one makes anything worth a hoot any longer. Dang shame. I have no problems spending the money, as I'm sure you don't, but not for Chinese built crap that falls apart after the third use.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21
Originally Posted by MichieD

Those look like Rocky boots. I loved them at one point till they all started to do that. Hell, my last 2 pair of Mucks have been crap too.

I swear to Christ, no one makes anything worth a hoot any longer. Dang shame. I have no problems spending the money, as I'm sure you don't, but not for Chinese built crap that falls apart after the third use.

Yes
I had one of my better pairs of Rocky start flaking
away and came all the way apart when I'd walked
way the eff out in the middle of a grain field when
hunting. It was pretty tough to hobble back through
that mess. Rocky replaced those quickly with no
problems, then the replacement pair split and flaked
away about the 3rd trip afield. They wouldn't replace
those or communicate at all. Not too long after, another
pair of Rocky I already had started flaking and splitting
just like the others. Rocky wouldn't take those back
or communicate at all.
I posted this on several sites, I don't know if I ever
did here. Plenty of others besides me have had
the exact experience
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/03/21

We are very proud of our boots and the materials we chose to build them. As with choice we make, the materials we chose have positives and negatives. We chose PU because it is the best material for mountain boots, even with its drawbacks.

I do feel there is value in you having your boots resoled as your uppers are in great, like new, condition. It happens everyday. It's similar to putting new tires on your car. We have many happy customers who have resoled their boots. If you have a local cobbler in your area, they may be able to assist you, or we also recommend an authorized cobbler who works with a lot of European brands, including Meindl, his name is Dave Page. He is based out of Seattle and he has a unique skill set where he might able to fix certain things that maybe a local cobbler can’t.

www.davepagecobbler.com

jackmountain;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope other than the disappointing communication from a formerly reputable boot maker that all else in your world is more or less where it needs to be.

Thanks for sharing that note with us, I very much appreciate it even though I find it vexing to the nth degree.

Since I spent much of my working life communicating in writing with various government entities, I recognize that language in that note - sadly.

We must now conclude that Meindl corporate are banking on new customers who do very little or no research into their boot purchase as opposed to building on their reputation built on centuries of making a superior product.

Truly sir, while neither of us is likely surprised by that "response", it nonetheless doesn't prevent us from being disappointed with it....

Good grief, "similar to putting new tires on your car"..... frown All well and good but one does not expect to need to put new tires on when they've not been used yet either, you know?

Anyway sir, thanks again for sharing that with us. I'll keep it in mind and for sure whenever the subject comes up and someone asks, I'll give an honest answer as to how Meindl customer service is at present.

Hopefully the Santiams work out well for you and all the best to you for the remainder of the year.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by BC30cal

www.davepagecobbler.com

jackmountain;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope other than the disappointing communication from a formerly reputable boot maker that all else in your world is more or less where it needs to be.

Thanks for sharing that note with us, I very much appreciate it even though I find it vexing to the nth degree.

Since I spent much of my working life communicating in writing with various government entities, I recognize that language in that note - sadly.

We must now conclude that Meindl corporate are banking on new customers who do very little or no research into their boot purchase as opposed to building on their reputation built on centuries of making a superior product.

Truly sir, while neither of us is likely surprised by that "response", it nonetheless doesn't prevent us from being disappointed with it....

Good grief, "similar to putting new tires on your car"..... frown All well and good but one does not expect to need to put new tires on when they've not been used yet either, you know?

Anyway sir, thanks again for sharing that with us. I'll keep it in mind and for sure whenever the subject comes up and someone asks, I'll give an honest answer as to how Meindl customer service is at present.

Hopefully the Santiams work out well for you and all the best to you for the remainder of the year.

Dwayne

Yep Dwayne,
Looks like they’ve went the way of most of corporate America.
To be honest, I don’t think there’s much of a profit in building a quality product that lasts years. I’m in construction and unfortunately we see it more and more with a lot of components that go into our finished products. Appliances and mechanical system don’t have nearly the service life they once had. Got to keep this overpopulated rock and it’s inhabitants employed I guess.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
jackmountain;
Thanks for the reply again sir.

Indeed I spent a few years in construction and my good wife has been with the same family owned group of construction businesses for 32 years now.

While I truly wish I could intelligently counter your claim regarding appliances and mechanical systems, sadly experience prevents me from doing so.

Bad boots, like bad tires truly, can become a life or death matter quite quickly in the wrong set of circumstances.

With horses we used to say "no hoof, no horse" and honestly if you're on a fly in or pack in hunt and your boots do that, it might be the end in more than one way.

Again sir I hope the Santiams prove to be still well made.

All the best to you all again sir.

Dwayne
Posted By: Mach3 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Are those the Perfekt Hunters?

If so, I've had the same exact pair for about 10 years and they have been awesome for me. Keep them clean and oiled. Never had the slightest problem.

Absolutely the best footwear of any kind I ever spent my money on.

My Thorogood work boots are a close second.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
So what’s a guy buy for ~$200 that will last a bit? Thorogood has a few it seems that may fit the bill, any others?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
How does the cobbler of choice resole these polyurethane wonders? Anybody have pictures of after the cobbler visit?
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Here's a shameless plug for a company up here that still makes real boots. Although I've had ok luck with modern molded or whatever the hell it is sole systems I decided to go old school this summer and I got a pair of Moorby Signatures

Moorby Boots

Super basic no liner they don't even include a foot bed. Which is smart IMO $25 for a good athletic bed that fits my wide low arch feet primo. I used them quite a bit this fall with thick merino socks they're bomber. A little heavy compared to the modern designs but I'm good with it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21

Wish he would have resoled my Hanwags. But said too much waterproofing. So I got onto Hanwag and obviously you have to waterproof. Certainly the joke known as goretex won't keep anything dry.

That said the more I've looked its extremely common and an age thing. So no recourse. Though after I complained enough Hanwag sent a pretty decent discount coupon.

Just kinda wished they had done it BEFORE I put the time effort and cash into two really good coats of obenaufs.

As to Danner, well, while comfortable I've never had boots fall apart as fast as Danners. But as cheap as they can be they aren't a bad backup.
Posted By: kingston Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by Salty303
Here's a shameless plug for a company up here that still makes real boots. Although I've had ok luck with modern molded or whatever the hell it is sole systems I decided to go old school this summer and I got a pair of Moorby Signatures

Moorby Boots

Super basic no liner they don't even include a foot bed. Which is smart IMO $25 for a good athletic bed that fits my wide low arch feet primo. I used them quite a bit this fall with thick merino socks they're bomber. A little heavy compared to the modern designs but I'm good with it.

I like the looks of the 2801, but where to get them in the USA.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
The issue is not specific to Meindl. It is one of the downsides of polyurethane soles that the material has a limited shelf life, especially if you don't wear them. What tends to happen is that the boots stay in the wardrobe for some extended period and, when you get them out to use them the soles or midsole crumbles. I have had it happen myself, and it is a bitter pill.

As I understand it the issue arises from moisture being absorbed into the PU, breaking the chemical bonds in the structure. The process, called hydrolysis, is accelerated in more humid environments, and by the boots not being used. You can avoid it by getting your boots out regularly and wearing them (at least you'll wear the soles out before they decay) or by avoiding boots which have PU in the sole or midsole.

More info here: https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/the-sole-destroying-effects-of-hydrolysis-on-leather-boots

Posted By: high_country_ Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Anyone resoled a meindl with a generic vibram similar to the crispi soles?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
kingston;
Good afternoon/evening to you sir, I trust the first Sunday of the year was an acceptable one and all who matter in your world are well.

When I did a quick search of the website, it appears that they don't sell direct from the Canada West factory, which I can appreciate actually.

While I've never had any Moorby boots, I've worn out several pairs of Canada West work boots over the years and can say that they were extremely well put together - and rebuildable too which is nice.

This is just a thought sir, but if you go into the retailers list in a province nearest you, it couldn't hurt to contact them and ask if they'd ship them stateside.

Be forewarned that Canada Post rates are crazy steep, but as of tonight $1USD buys $1.27CDN goods, so a bit of a discount off the hop. The reverse for us is of course the case, so for instance the Santiam boots jackmountain ordered would run me $495CDN without shipping. Please note that's not a windge, just a statement of what is and nothing more. grin

Hopefully that was somewhat useful sir, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you this year.

Dwayne
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Ozone.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by kingston

Moorby Boots

Originally Posted by rost495

Wish he would have resoled my Hanwags. But said too much waterproofing. So I got onto Hanwag and obviously you have to waterproof. Certainly the joke known as goretex won't keep anything dry.

That said the more I've looked its extremely common and an age thing. So no recourse. Though after I complained enough Hanwag sent a pretty decent discount coupon.

Just kinda wished they had done it BEFORE I put the time effort and cash into two really good coats of obenaufs.

As to Danner, well, while comfortable I've never had boots fall apart as fast as Danners. But as cheap as they can be they aren't a bad backup.

Kodiak-
I’m sending these to Mr. Page just to see what happens.

Jeff-
Which model Danners?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by dan_oz
The issue is not specific to Meindl. It is one of the downsides of polyurethane soles that the material has a limited shelf life, especially if you don't wear them. What tends to happen is that the boots stay in the wardrobe for some extended period and, when you get them out to use them the soles or midsole crumbles. I have had it happen myself, and it is a bitter pill.

As I understand it the issue arises from moisture being absorbed into the PU, breaking the chemical bonds in the structure. The process, called hydrolysis, is accelerated in more humid environments, and by the boots not being used. You can avoid it by getting your boots out regularly and wearing them (at least you'll wear the soles out before they decay) or by avoiding boots which have PU in the sole or midsole.

More info here: https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/the-sole-destroying-effects-of-hydrolysis-on-leather-boots

Good link and read. About what I got after dealing with Hanwag also.

Of course I"ve done exactly how they suggest to store and they still fell apart. Age wise they had years on them. Miles not so much. More of a kind of shocker that they look new but the soles fell off and since I did my part to waterproof em they couldn't resole them. Ugh.

is what it is though. And life will move on. Though I kinda wish I could find ones without that material in them that I trusted. Who knows. Use my coupon and call it good with a half price pair of boots I guess.

I've not seen any boot hold up to more than a few moose/sheep/bear seasons though.

At least Schnees did their own resoling work and were happy to for a reasonable price.

but the more I look at it, its like Simms waders. Needed for the job. Stupid high costs. IF you get 2 seasons from a pair fishing every day for 90 days consider yourself very lucky.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Originally Posted by kingston

Moorby Boots

Surprised to see they're just plodding along in Canada no US exposure. And the on line store is about useless. Have a feeling the company's culture is a bit like their boots, old school. lol
Next time you're across the line with time to kill there's a big work clothing chain called "Marks" any town of a decent size will have one. They carry them.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Meindl never warrantied the Cabelas branded boot. They made a deal with Cabelas for certain price point boots exclusively for Cabelas that Cabelas warrantied. Not a change in service.

I think you’ll be pleased with Page’s work. Probably a better sole than what they came from Cabelas with. I’ve been happy with his work.

My favorite boots are Island Pros that are no longer made. I’ll resole them until the leather is gone.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
Damn, it's almost like the answer to what happened was on the 4th post of this thread on page one.... yet, here we are 6 pages later...
Posted By: mwarren Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
The obvious is being missed here...this is a Democrat caused issue. The Democrats have failed at every attempt to restrict the 2nd amendment and eventually hunting with firearms and had deduced that if they can work with their Chinese allies to make boots fail then we all will not be able to pursue what makes us happy.
Posted By: pointer Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/04/21
I just replaced some Cabelas branded Meindls with the a pair from Meindl USA this fall. No compliants thus far. I did feel that the Cabelas branded boots were of lower quality than the Meindl Island Pros I purchased from Lathrop and Sons about 20yrs ago. Had a pair of Kenetrek's in between. While good boots, they did not fit my feet near as well as the Meindl. Unless I get some crazy problems, I'll be going Meindl USA from now on. I'm a fan and glad to have a US distributor other than Cabelas. One other option for a repair or for Meindls would be Hoffman Boots. They even caulk Meindls.

https://hoffmanboots.com/hoffmanmeindl-boots
Posted By: HarleyHutch Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/18/21
Not the same brand, but I had a pair of lightly used Muck Logging rubber knee boots separate. Sent messages and photo's of them, hardly any wear to the soles at two years old as I rotate my boots and just cut firewood on our property. The didn't even reopnd using their contact us address. Never again will they get our business.
Posted By: HarleyHutch Re: Meindl boot failure - 01/18/21
Getting harder to find boots with real soles that aren't just glued on.
© 24hourcampfire