Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Salty303
Here's a shameless plug for a company up here that still makes real boots. Although I've had ok luck with modern molded or whatever the hell it is sole systems I decided to go old school this summer and I got a pair of Moorby Signatures

Moorby Boots

Super basic no liner they don't even include a foot bed. Which is smart IMO $25 for a good athletic bed that fits my wide low arch feet primo. I used them quite a bit this fall with thick merino socks they're bomber. A little heavy compared to the modern designs but I'm good with it.

I like the looks of the 2801, but where to get them in the USA.

Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
As I said above. Send to Dave Page for a re sole. I sent him a pair in November and got them back 5 weeks from the day I mailed them good as new.

Meindl doesn’t care what happened to the Cabelas branded boots.

Wish he would have resoled my Hanwags. But said too much waterproofing. So I got onto Hanwag and obviously you have to waterproof. Certainly the joke known as goretex won't keep anything dry.

That said the more I've looked its extremely common and an age thing. So no recourse. Though after I complained enough Hanwag sent a pretty decent discount coupon.

Just kinda wished they had done it BEFORE I put the time effort and cash into two really good coats of obenaufs.

As to Danner, well, while comfortable I've never had boots fall apart as fast as Danners. But as cheap as they can be they aren't a bad backup.

Kodiak-
I’m sending these to Mr. Page just to see what happens.

Jeff-
Which model Danners?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dan_oz
The issue is not specific to Meindl. It is one of the downsides of polyurethane soles that the material has a limited shelf life, especially if you don't wear them. What tends to happen is that the boots stay in the wardrobe for some extended period and, when you get them out to use them the soles or midsole crumbles. I have had it happen myself, and it is a bitter pill.

As I understand it the issue arises from moisture being absorbed into the PU, breaking the chemical bonds in the structure. The process, called hydrolysis, is accelerated in more humid environments, and by the boots not being used. You can avoid it by getting your boots out regularly and wearing them (at least you'll wear the soles out before they decay) or by avoiding boots which have PU in the sole or midsole.

More info here: https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/the-sole-destroying-effects-of-hydrolysis-on-leather-boots

Good link and read. About what I got after dealing with Hanwag also.

Of course I"ve done exactly how they suggest to store and they still fell apart. Age wise they had years on them. Miles not so much. More of a kind of shocker that they look new but the soles fell off and since I did my part to waterproof em they couldn't resole them. Ugh.

is what it is though. And life will move on. Though I kinda wish I could find ones without that material in them that I trusted. Who knows. Use my coupon and call it good with a half price pair of boots I guess.

I've not seen any boot hold up to more than a few moose/sheep/bear seasons though.

At least Schnees did their own resoling work and were happy to for a reasonable price.

but the more I look at it, its like Simms waders. Needed for the job. Stupid high costs. IF you get 2 seasons from a pair fishing every day for 90 days consider yourself very lucky.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Salty303
Here's a shameless plug for a company up here that still makes real boots. Although I've had ok luck with modern molded or whatever the hell it is sole systems I decided to go old school this summer and I got a pair of Moorby Signatures

Moorby Boots

Super basic no liner they don't even include a foot bed. Which is smart IMO $25 for a good athletic bed that fits my wide low arch feet primo. I used them quite a bit this fall with thick merino socks they're bomber. A little heavy compared to the modern designs but I'm good with it.

I like the looks of the 2801, but where to get them in the USA.

Surprised to see they're just plodding along in Canada no US exposure. And the on line store is about useless. Have a feeling the company's culture is a bit like their boots, old school. lol
Next time you're across the line with time to kill there's a big work clothing chain called "Marks" any town of a decent size will have one. They carry them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meindl never warrantied the Cabelas branded boot. They made a deal with Cabelas for certain price point boots exclusively for Cabelas that Cabelas warrantied. Not a change in service.

I think you’ll be pleased with Page’s work. Probably a better sole than what they came from Cabelas with. I’ve been happy with his work.

My favorite boots are Island Pros that are no longer made. I’ll resole them until the leather is gone.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Damn, it's almost like the answer to what happened was on the 4th post of this thread on page one.... yet, here we are 6 pages later...

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The obvious is being missed here...this is a Democrat caused issue. The Democrats have failed at every attempt to restrict the 2nd amendment and eventually hunting with firearms and had deduced that if they can work with their Chinese allies to make boots fail then we all will not be able to pursue what makes us happy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anyone owned the Meindl USA boots and can speak to the quality?
I just replaced some Cabelas branded Meindls with the a pair from Meindl USA this fall. No compliants thus far. I did feel that the Cabelas branded boots were of lower quality than the Meindl Island Pros I purchased from Lathrop and Sons about 20yrs ago. Had a pair of Kenetrek's in between. While good boots, they did not fit my feet near as well as the Meindl. Unless I get some crazy problems, I'll be going Meindl USA from now on. I'm a fan and glad to have a US distributor other than Cabelas. One other option for a repair or for Meindls would be Hoffman Boots. They even caulk Meindls.

https://hoffmanboots.com/hoffmanmeindl-boots

Last edited by pointer; 01/04/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not the same brand, but I had a pair of lightly used Muck Logging rubber knee boots separate. Sent messages and photo's of them, hardly any wear to the soles at two years old as I rotate my boots and just cut firewood on our property. The didn't even reopnd using their contact us address. Never again will they get our business.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Getting harder to find boots with real soles that aren't just glued on.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 39 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.