Home
Posted By: MM879 Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
My opinion is YES. Sticking a swab into the depth of your sinus by a low skilled medical tech is risky. My opinion is it shouldn't be done unless there is a valid reason to improve care. I've had the test and it has caused long term symptoms after the procedure.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
I had the test and it wasn't as bad as the flu test. Mine may not have been done right.
I was ill last October and had a Covid test at the VA. I thought the tech did a good job but the VA lost my test so I'll never know if I had Covid.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
the biggest danger is psychological
What are the long term symptoms you are experiencing?
Measure the soft flap on your ear to the nare of your nose. That is the depth at which a sample is taken. I warn my patients what to expect and try to do it as quick but effective as possible.
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I was ill last October and had a Covid test at the VA. I thought the tech did a good job but the VA lost my test so I'll never know if I had Covid.

If they lost the test then yes, you had Covid... sarc
Posted By: MM879 Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Running nose, Sneezing and sinus inflammation. Basically, all the symptoms of COVID minus the loss of taste. smell and fever.
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Running nose, Sneezing and sinus inflammation. Basically, all the symptoms of COVID minus the loss of taste. smell and fever.

We used to call that allergies back in my day
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
My opinion is YES. Sticking a swab into the depth of your sinus by a low skilled medical tech is risky. My opinion is it shouldn't be done unless there is a valid reason to improve care. I've had the test and it has caused long term symptoms after the procedure.

Maybe where you live its a tech, here at least nurses do it. I had it done like that in June no issues. Just had another prepping for surgery and I swabbed my nostrils myself, no pain. Negative both times and neither test was the instant one.

I suppose it is possible that you got a swab that was contaminated with cold or flu virus, but if you are still sick from them “long term” you should see a doctor because your immune system is probably not working correctly.

Or it could be allergies...

Seems that way to me, too. I had it with no after effects, but I can see how that could occur.
Posted By: JGray Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
When I had my test done, it was self administered with the gal watching. I was instructed to run the swab 1" up my nose which sounds pretty shallow compared to what others are saying. My test was negative FWIW...
Originally Posted by JGray
self administered with the gal watching.

I think the medical term for that is “Louis CK style”.

All of mine have been done by a nurse practitioner, who unwrapped the swab, scratched my cheek from the inside with it, and slipped it into a container to be tested.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
When I had my test done, it was self administered with the gal watching. I was instructed to run the swab 1" up my nose which sounds pretty shallow compared to what others are saying. My test was negative FWIW...

Just read up on the tests CVS is offering, exact same thing, 1 inch.
The CVS test is also self administered, you do it at the drive up window in the comfort of your vehicle, don't get much easier than that.
Posted By: JGray Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by JeffA

Just read up on the tests CVS is offering, exact same thing, 1 inch.
The CVS test is also self administered, you do it at the drive up window in the comfort of your vehicle, don't get much easier than that.

Exactly how me was done - Walgreens drive-through...
Just study for it, and one should do fine.
Millions of nasal swab tests are administered every year in the U.S., it's perfectly safe.

I swear some people just need to stay in their house all day, we're all scared of our shadows nowadays.
I was on site at work yesterday so I gave them a sample. They had us spit in a vial mix something in with the spit and seal it.
I had mine done at the Mayo Clinic and I swear the dude was trying to perforate my brain cortex.

Never again.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I had mine done at the Mayo Clinic and I swear the dude was trying to perforate my brain cortex.

Never again.

That is what mine was like. They want my 94 year old mother to go through this ever time she has a doctors appointment. This could kill her.
I’ve had 2 tests for surgical reasons (both negative despite my exposure) and I told the nurse that I was perfectly capable of swabbing my own nose which I did.

People allow others to do things for them that they could do for themselves simply because they’re “healthcare” workers. I don’t give up my rights nor do I allow things to HAPPEN TO me, I choose and advocate for myself. A nurse or doctor cannot do things TO YOU without your consent, that includes sticking a q-tip anywhere in your body.

I’m a great patient because I do everything I can for myself. I retain full control over what happens to me and I don’t relegate all my power over to a stranger.

Never again.

Not much to hurt there.

They have to stab the back of your skull because it's so contagious.
Originally Posted by deflave

LMFAO....exactly. So virulent that it’s undetectable...

Never again.

Did the last two cells leak out?
Originally Posted by woodson
Measure the soft flap on your ear to the nare of your nose. That is the depth at which a sample is taken. I warn my patients what to expect and try to do it as quick but effective as possible.

No offense Doc, but,

As God as my witness the next person that shoves anything that far up my nose, I will gut like a fish.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/06/21
I had mine done at the county health department drive through. The nurse handed me a swab through the window and I hardly stopped the truck from rolling while I swabbed my nose and left. They told me how deep to go, about 2 inches, and it wasn't a problem at all.
I had the swab and it was nowhere near as bad as when the ENT stuck a scope up my nose. The good thing is he found out how screwed up my sinuses were and why I kept getting sinus infections. He put me under and rotorootered my sinuses and I've only had about 3-4 infections in the past 17 years when I used to get 2-3 a year before that.
I've had 6 tests i think. Not fun but 60 seconds later i forgot all about it.
Ever wonder if this whole damn thing is simply a scheme to collect dna? The testing method, not the virus.
I’ve had the nose swab test multiple times over the past few months as it’s required for my job. It’s uncomfortable but only for a minute.
Posted By: las Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/06/21
Had my 4th one just last night at Anc airport on return from Maui.

No problems other than the extreme piss-off and delay at all this bullsheet. Took us a full hour to log in, answer the questions on the phone, work our way thru the line to get the swab.

I posted a week ago or so about all the BS we were forced to endure in order to go to Hawaii. OK- other than the test and on-line crap (plus $95 each) which took us about 4 hours to work our way through, most of the stuff I posted about was what my wife told me I had to do.

42 years......I should know better. smile

We got to the airport, showed them our "paperwork" (on phones), they needled in a number on our forearm, and we were good to go.

OK, OK, they put a paper wristband showing we had passed the test on our end, which let us walk right through on the Maui end, showing the wrist-band, to collect baggage .

There were a lot of other poor bastards that hadn't done the pre-work. I dunno what they had to go through, but looked like they were being sent to the "showers"..... smile

Man - they are freaky over there, Get within 20 feet of someone else, likely them upwind in a 20mph trade wind, from you with you not masked, and they get the old "deer in the headlights" look. Dudes sitting alone on the roadside, no one within a half mile, except passing traffic, and they are masked.

I can see why the place is so fugged up that they are liberal Democrats. Unthinking sheep! Like real sheep.

Posted By: las Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/06/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Never again.

Did the last two cells leak out?

He was lucky- they couldn't go deep enough to get the last one up top the brain pan.

Sorry- I could not resist. smile. smile
Posted By: dassa Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/06/21
Yes. It could cause you and everyone you've been around to miss two weeks of work for no good reason.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by woodson

No offense Doc, but,

As God as my witness the next person that shoves anything that far up my nose, I will gut like a fish.

I’m with you Kaywoodie as I had two in AK the first one I believe left a dent in the front lobe of my brain. The second they went in both sides and had a rotational spin roto rooter would have been proud of. Never again
Here's my question. If a person has had the virus (months ago) AND been vaccinated, why are they required to wear a mask?
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Here's my question. If a person has had the virus (months ago) AND been vaccinated, why are they required to wear a mask?

Because the people have willingly surendered their rights to breath fresh air and take in the free oxygen that God designed our lungs for.
It has absolutely Nothing to do with health.
It has to do with control.
The demons have billionares with power.
They manipulate the political, media, religious and corporate powers.

They devised ways to use pions at grocery stores, bus drivers, or day care workers to be our masters. We are the.new slaves of the new tyranny.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Because the people have willingly surendered their rights to breath fresh air and take in the free oxygen that God designed our lungs for.
It has absolutely Nothing to do with health.
It has to do with control.
The demons have billionares with power.
They manipulate the political, media, religious and corporate powers.

They devised ways to use pions at grocery stores, bus drivers, or day care workers to be our masters. We are the.new slaves of the new tyranny.

Well yeah...I get that. I just want to hear the "experts" explain it.

Your answer reflects wisdom.
Anytime someone introduces a medical instrument into an orifice there's risk involved. Even a stupid RN or PA with the dexterity of a ditch digger can cause damage to your ear with an otoscope.

I would NEVER let anybody shove anything in any hole in order to keep a job. If required, record the conversation and ask for a signed and dated requirement. At least you will have more than your word against theirs IF you take legal recourse.
Originally Posted by deflave

Exactly, so contagious that you need to put a panty over your face and stay six feet away from people. Seems like you could just swab your mouth whistle
Posted By: MM879 Re: Is the COVID test dangerous - 01/06/21
I fly at lease once a week for work. I wonder what the requirements will be for domestic and international travel. The airlines are desperate and will agree to any intrusion on their passengers. Does this mean they will require 52 tests a year?
© 24hourcampfire