Home
Posted By: Ringman What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
The other day I saw on the back of a pickup "Believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved."

At the time I wondered what is a "thou" and what is it saved for or from. Maybe someone with a large vocabulary can help here.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Posted By: deflave Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
It’s a substitute for “you”, you stupid fugk.
Posted By: Higginez Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by deflave
It’s a substitute for “you”, thou stupid fugk.

Fixt
Posted By: rosco1 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Holy gibberish
Posted By: steve4102 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

thou1
/T͟Hou/
pronoun
pronoun: thou
archaic or dialect form of you, as the singular subject of a verb.
"thou art fair, O my beloved"
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
It's from an older form of English. JFC people are stupid.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
It is the subject form of thee.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a 2000 crime comedy-drama film written, produced, co-edited and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, and starring George Clooney, John Turturro, and Tim Blake Nelson, with Chris Thomas King, John Goodman, Holly Hunter, and Charles Durning in supporting roles.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
1 notch on a heavy 10, 10 notches on a hardinge.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
It's short for "thousands" . wink grin
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Specifically it is the old familiar form of the second person pronoun, you being the formal form. German has Du and Sie, Spanish has tu and usted, French has tu and vous. English used to have thou and you.
Posted By: Ringman Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad

What is a "thee"?
Originally Posted by Ringman

What is a "thee"?

It's the object form of thou.
I think I have it. It's like him and he.
Posted By: Muffin Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
I guesseth not many readeth Shakespeare anym're.............
Posted By: Muffin Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

SB = It’s a substitute f'r “you”, thee no more brain than stone fugk
Posted By: ironbender Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
The other day I saw on the back of a pickup "Believe on the Lord Jesus and thou shalt be saved."

At the time I wondered what is a "thou" and what is it saved for or from. Maybe someone with a large vocabulary can help here.

Too stupid to use a dictionary, and believes the worlds is only 6,000 years old.

Does anyone else see the relationship?
Posted By: rosco1 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
this was a serious question?
Posted By: hanco Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by rosco1
this was a serious question?

My question too??
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

Hopefully saves us from thee 🙄
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

What is a "thee"?
A tall green thing growing outside...as described by a guy with a lisp.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by high_country_
1 notch on a heavy 10, 10 notches on a hardinge.

Best answer there........

And about 100 on a Moore Drum Lathe
Posted By: flintlocke Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Fools. "Thou" on a compass is 180 degrees from "Norf".
Posted By: Dess Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

I thought it was Y'all, or the plural All Y'all. smile
What is a yute? Fred Gwynne wants to know.
I learned the Ten Commandments as such: "Thou shalt not steal" etc. I guess in some parts of the Country it's learned as: "Y'all best not steal, ya hear."
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
I think it means if you follow the lord, you can save $1000.00.

1 thou
1 thousand
1 grand
1 large

grin
Originally Posted by cooper57m
What is a yute? Fred Gwynne wants to know.

Check with Joe Pesci.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Notwithstanding the OP's attempt at humor, with his question about "thou" . . . I do not consider myself a scholar, but I do have a solemn and objective opinion on the archaic uses of the/thou/thine in scripture.

"Thou" is always the singular tense, in the archaic English vernacular, of the modern English vernacular "you." For reference, "Ye" is always the archaic plural English vernacular of "you" (you all)

The King James version of the Bible is very consistent in the use of the singular and plural vernacular, "thee/thou/thine" (Greek soisingular) and "ye/you/yours" (Greek humonplural) . . . as an example, consider the passages in John 3:1-7:

New King James Version

1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

Here, in a modern version of the Bible, two distinct and different Greek words are translated "you" throughout these seven verses, without distinction as to which signify a singular or plural meaning. Verse seven, in particular, in the modern English, uses the word "you" twice in a row, to translate two distinct and different Greek words, soi (singular) and humon (plural) This clouds the interpretation of exactly what Jesus meant.

Look at the advantage the King James translators offer the reader by using the exact (though archaic) and correct English words to distinguish the major difference between the two words the Lord used, and a huge difference in meaning of the entire teaching of being born again. It was not just singularly for Nicodemus, but for all mankind.

Also of note, throughout the standard King James Bible, the translators never referred to God/Jesus as "you/yours" (common/familiar tense) but always as "thee/thou" (reverent/formal tense) . . . while virtually every Latin based language has a distinction between the familiar "you" and formal "you," modern English is the exception. For example, in Spanish the common/familiar form of "you" is "tu." The reverent/formal tense of "you" is "usted." In modern English there is no word to distinguish between the two. Some of the modern English Versions translators attempt to distinguish between the two by capitalizing the word "You" in reference to God/Jesus, but in spoken form (singing gospel hymns or praying,) one cannot distinguish between the common/familiar and the reverent/formal tense, in reference to God/Jesus. Only by using the archaic English of Shakespeare or the King James may one distinguish between the common/familiar tense "you/yours" and the reverent/formal tense "thee/thou. thine."

Standard King James Version

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Notwithstanding the OP's attempt at humor, with his question about "thou" . . . I do not consider myself a scholar, but I do have a solemn and objective opinion on the archaic uses of the/thou/thine in scripture.

"Thou" is always the singular tense, in the archaic English vernacular, of the modern English vernacular "you." For reference, "Ye" is always the archaic plural English vernacular of "you" (you all)

The King James version of the Bible is very consistent in the use of the singular and plural vernacular, "thee/thou/thine" (Greek soisingular) and "ye/you/yours" (Greek humonplural) . . . as an example, consider the passages in John 3:1-7:

New King James Version

2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Here, in a modern version of the Bible, two distinct and different Greek words are translated "you" throughout these seven verses, without distinction as to which signify a singular or plural meaning. Verse seven, in particular, in the modern English, uses the word "you" twice in a row, to translate two distinct and different Greek words, soi (singular) and humon (plural) This clouds the interpretation of exactly what Jesus meant.

Look at the advantage the King James translators offer the reader by using the exact (though archaic) and correct English words to distinguish the major difference between the two words the Lord used, and a huge difference in meaning of the entire teaching of being born again. It was not just singularly for Nicodemus, but for all mankind.

Also of note, throughout the standard King James Bible, the translators never referred to God/Jesus as "you/yours" (common/familiar tense) but always as "thee/thou" (reverent/formal tense) . . . while virtually every Latin based language has a distinction between the familiar "you" and formal "you," modern English is the exception. For example, in Spanish the common/familiar form of "you" is "tu." The reverent/formal tense of "you" is "usted." In modern English there is no word to distinguish between the two. Some of the modern English Versions translators attempt to distinguish between the two by capitalizing the word "You" in reference to God/Jesus, but in spoken form (singing gospel hymns or praying,) one cannot distinguish between the common/familiar and the reverent/formal tense, in reference to God/Jesus. Only by using the archaic English of Shakespeare or the King James may one distinguish between the common/familiar tense "you/yours" and the reverent/formal tense "thee/thou. thine."

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Try reading the early part of Luke 14 to folks who never used a Bible. I did that in the lunch room one day. I have used the New American Standard Bible for more than forty years.
Posted By: Stammster Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Romeo, Romeo...
Posted By: las Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
"At risk" Amish kid:

Wears his hat backwards
Paints racing stripes and/or flames on the horse
Mother finds coloreds in his sock drawer

In an argument, shouts "Thou sucketh!"

(There are about 6 more that I don't remember)
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
What is a 'thou'?
- - - - - - - - - - -

Thou vs thee vs thy.

More importantly, Why would anyone ask a religious question in a hell-hole?
Posted By: GAGoober Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
Thou art a dumb azzz
Posted By: P_Weed Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21
~ Thou shalt wear a mask.

Covidvirus: 20:20
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

New King James Version

You've obviously greatly over-estimated the extent of our interest in the subject matter.
Posted By: dassa Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/10/21

What is a "thee"?

It's the object form of thou.

Don't forget the possessives, thy and thine.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
I’m a Quaker and I don’t care...... as long as one is understood
Posted By: Ringman Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by P_Weed
What is a 'thou'?
- - - - - - - - - - -

Thou vs thee vs thy.

More importantly, Why would anyone ask a religious question in a hell-hole?

What makes it a religious question?
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21

Ringman,

Great question! There's a lot of others who also need to know the answer.

It sounds like you are quoting Acts 16:31.
To put it in context, there was a jailor who was a moment from going into eternity. He asked Jesus' disciples,

"Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

This man already knew that he was condemned by the Almighty God who shook the foundation of the prison.
As you see in Japanese movies of Samaris who fail their mission, the Roman guard was going to kill himself for letting the prisoners escape. The main point is that he knew that these men had the answer and he didn't. There's a brief, but thorough explanation in the video that is posted below. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me by PM or here.

Side note:. It was already explained more than likely by someone else in this long page. But the word "Thou" in Elizabethan English means "You."

Our modern english no longer distinguishes plural"you" from singular"you."
KJV Bible is usually clearer in regards to this.
"Thou" is You directed to one person and "thy house."
"Thy" is "your". This "T" word is also singular.

You is a plural form. Addressing more than one person or body

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

Addressing the jailor and his own household if they will likewise believe on Christ as opposed to their personal good deeds. Watch this a time or three until it makes sense. Use a KJ Bible and follow along.

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Same as a mil.

And not the commie metric system.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21

GFT ?

Kinda sounds biblical
Posted By: Redneck Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
It’s a substitute for “you”, thou stupid fugk.

Fixt
LMAO.....

When I saw the header the first time I was gonna reply, "Ten Benjamins"... laugh laugh
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Muffin
I guesseth not many readeth Shakespeare anym're.............

"Mine eyes are made the fool o’ the other senses"
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

GFT ?

Kinda sounds biblical
It's not Biblical. It's old English and the Bible wasn't written in old English. It was translated to it but not written in it.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
"Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it’s good enough for the school children of Texas!"

Gov. Miriam "Ma" Ferguson
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Hey Bob! "The lady douth protest too much, methinks". laugh
Posted By: shaman Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
I had a 2-year dalliance with the Society of Friends AKA the Quakers back after college. They were big on thee and thou and that sort of nomenclature. They used it as a term of endearment.

The Quakers I hung with used it as sort of an inside joke. You used it in conversation with your family, close friends, and other members of the church. The old-timers might use it out in the open, but the younger folk kept it just among the other Quakers.

A Quaker mother might say "Thou must be quiet," to her child," when the normal mom might say "Be quiet!" or "STFU." It connoted intimate, motherly love and all that goes with it, without actually bringing out the strap. The message got through just fine.

There was a lot more subtlety to it than folks realized. I was happy for being among the Quakers and learning to use it. If you and a friend met a 3rd person and you wanted to introduce them, "Thou must meet my good friend, Fred." -- would indicate Fred was a brother.

I still use it around the house. KYHillChick will call me up and ask ,"What do you want for Dinner?"

I will respond, "What is thy will?"

Translated, "You know that whatever I want to bring home you won't eat, so why don't you tell me what it is I want, and we can get on with things?"

As I said, it's got a lot of subtlety
When I was much younger, I could read, and follow Gulliver's Travails, easily. Now it takes a heap of head scratchin'.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Well if English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it’s good enough for the school children of Texas!"

Gov. Miriam "Ma" Ferguson

He not only spoke English, but he did it in red letters.
laugh
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

GFT ?

Kinda sounds biblical
It's not Biblical. It's old English and the Bible wasn't written in old English. It was translated to it but not written in it.

I could have said it sounds Hebrew, or Aramaic, but it looses something, don't you think?
Posted By: bluefish Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/11/21

What is a "thee"?

'"Me", dumb nuts. My God.
Thou and thee as in you and me.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: What is a "thou"? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by shaman
I had a 2-year dalliance with the Society of Friends AKA the Quakers back after college. They were big on thee and thou and that sort of nomenclature. They used it as a term of endearment.

The Quakers I hung with used it as sort of an inside joke. You used it in conversation with your family, close friends, and other members of the church. The old-timers might use it out in the open, but the younger folk kept it just among the other Quakers.

A Quaker mother might say "Thou must be quiet," to her child," when the normal mom might say "Be quiet!" or "STFU." It connoted intimate, motherly love and all that goes with it, without actually bringing out the strap. The message got through just fine.

There was a lot more subtlety to it than folks realized. I was happy for being among the Quakers and learning to use it. If you and a friend met a 3rd person and you wanted to introduce them, "Thou must meet my good friend, Fred." -- would indicate Fred was a brother.

I still use it around the house. KYHillChick will call me up and ask ,"What do you want for Dinner?"

I will respond, "What is thy will?"

Translated, "You know that whatever I want to bring home you won't eat, so why don't you tell me what it is I want, and we can get on with things?"

As I said, it's got a lot of subtlety

Yeah......folks don’t get it when you say the Quakers have a group for atheists........they don’t judge........
© 24hourcampfire