Home
Posted By: 1911a1 Favorite Jonny Quest cartoon - 01/11/21
Here's a spin- off of slumord's lunchbox thread. ledvm mentioned he had a Jonny Quest lunch box.

That was about my favorite cartoon growing up, I didn't realize it was actually a little before my time watching it though. It must have rerunned for over 10 years. It began in 1964 through '65.

I'm not sure what my favorite one was. Maybe the one where they get stranded in the Andes and Reese has to dogfight the old German ww1 ace.

It was violent and racist and anticommunist. It would NEVER get made today. It was awesome. wink
LOL!
That was one of Hanna Barbers's best toons.
I don't remember the favorite. I wish my memory was that good.

I wonder when YouTube will ban this?
The friend Hadji will upset some soft effeminate girlie boy on the censorship staff no doubt.
[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoTEUiSehDUxsNsw-26hWdLcvMnVYxe2j[/video]

This YouTube generated Channel claims to have full episodes if anyone gets insomnia and is looking for an excuse to do a a JQ marathon .
Badass loved that show as a kid in the early 70's.
Let's see, Tutu the Terrible, the pterodactyl that dragged it's master into the tar pit.... the secret undermountain nerve gas factory in the Himalayas that Team Quest destroyed with an avalanche...the one with the mummy... the Sargasso sea with the frogmen monster and their lasers trying to take out our rockets from Cape Canaveral...Dr. Ming in Thailand and Jade, Race Bannon's girlfriend; I especially like how Race ricocheted carbine rounds of a dozer blade and took out two commies behind the corner of the building.... The queball space monster spider thing... the energy monster they had to dump paint on to see .. the race to the artic to recover a sabotaged rocket with a fly-by of I swear F-16s (in 1964!)...

Ah, the good old days when killing commies was the duty of every kid. And you aspired to be a scientist or a soldier.
Damned if I remember any of the plots or stories, but I watched it enthusiastically from the time it was introduced. Saturday mornings were awesome when I was a kid.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Favorite Jonny Quest cartoon - 01/11/21
I loved it

I remember the invisible energy monster

I never knew about Thunderbirds until I was an adult. I think I would have liked it as a kid.

the energy monster they had to dump paint on to see ....YEA ! ...was that a .30 carbine that the old man was wacking at'em wit ?
Jade was a babe. I'd do her:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Slam Bang Theater on Saturday mornings.

The Three Stooges was a favorite of mine.
we would break out the legos and build what we could of that THUNDERBIRD show! Good times for sure.
Posted By: byd Re: Favorite Jonny Quest cartoon - 01/11/21
Was there ever a Jonny Quest movie ?
Originally Posted by byd
Was there ever a Jonny Quest movie ?

According to wikipedia there were 2. They were made in 1990s so I'm sure they are a lot more PC.
There have been atemps to make a live action movie too but we all know they'll just ruin it if they ever do.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Favorite Jonny Quest cartoon - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Let's see, Tutu the Terrible, the pterodactyl that dragged it's master into the tar pit.... the secret undermountain nerve gas factory in the Himalayas that Team Quest destroyed with an avalanche...the one with the mummy... the Sargasso sea with the frogmen monster and their lasers trying to take out our rockets from Cape Canaveral...Dr. Ming in Thailand and Jade, Race Bannon's girlfriend; I especially like how Race ricocheted carbine rounds of a dozer blade and took out two commies behind the corner of the building.... The queball space monster spider thing... the energy monster they had to dump paint on to see .. the race to the artic to recover a sabotaged rocket with a fly-by of I swear F-16s (in 1964!)...

Ah, the good old days when killing commies was the duty of every kid. And you aspired to be a scientist or a soldier.

Damn, you have a good memory! Things were so different then...like even being lucky enough to catch a Johnny Quest episode. Only 2 channels for me in 60s & early 70s. If you were unlucky enough to miss the quest time slot...you were SOL til the next Saturday.

It was definitely my favorite cartoon. I may have to try and learn to stream or screen mirror or something before the new communist regime erases it from all forms of history.
The time that Race died his whole body purple with some berries, then found out the it wouldn't wash off. It would have to WEAR off.

I think his hair was still white.
I'm quite fond of the one set in the sargaso sea. Fun fact-Jonny was voiced by Tim Matheson. He'd be best known as "Otter" from animal house.
Before my time to watch it Saturday morns.

But watched it on Cartoon Network.

Those era cartoons were the best.
Saturday cartoons were epic in the 60s and 70s. Johnny Quest was one of the best, and like others have posted I watched them all and don’t remember a favorite.
I remember waiting with baited breath for the Bugs Bunny Show. Before that it was the Beany and Cecil show, with Cecil the seasick sea serpent.
Originally Posted by deltakid
I remember waiting with baited breath for the Bugs Bunny Show. Before that it was the Beany and Cecil show, with Cecil the seasick sea serpent.

I'm coming, Beanie!

Johnny Quest? My favorite was the one with the giant robot spider. 2nd place goes to the one with the guy in the gargoyle suit.
"I'm not sure what my favorite one was. Maybe the one where they get stranded in the Andes and Reese has to dogfight the old German ww1 ace. "

This was my favorite episode!

High Noon?

You mention Slam Bang Theatre? Were you raised in Ft. Worth??? I remember when Ickey Twerp was the host! Early-mid 60’s. With his two apes, Ajax and Delphinium!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

You mention Slam Bang Theatre? Were you raised in Ft. Worth??? I remember when Ickey Twerp was the host! Early-mid 60’s. With his two apes, Ajax and Delphinium!

Yeah, there were a lot of people that didn't like ajax
and his brethren because they said that it was a
form of "minstrels " and was making fun of colored
people. The trouble makers also managed to get rid
of heckle and jeckle and speedy Gonzales and the
Frito bandito

Mr Camfield also hosted a horror movie show
sometime way back then, but I can't remember
all the details of that.
I remember when he had cancer and passed.
Pretty sad
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yeah, there were a lot of people that didn't like ajax
and his brethren because they said that it was a
form of "minstrels " and was making fun of colored
people. The trouble makers also managed to get rid
of heckle and jeckle and speedy Gonzales and the
Frito bandito

Mr Camfield also hosted a horror movie show
sometime way back then, but I can't remember
all the details of that.
I remember when he had cancer and passed.
Pretty sad

Yeah the horror was on KTVT on saturday night. I think at 9. Great times

Oh and indo remember all the heat over Ajax and D
I almost forgot Mr. Peppermint

Saw him several times at different places
Twice at Halloween pumpkin giveaways
There were 3 apes
ajax, delphinium, and arkadelphia

All that back way before JR and Dallas and
the Great Migration.
Back when DFW was still a great place to live
I always thought Race Bannon would have got
lucky with Ann Margret or Raquel Welch.

The butt slammers always tried to make out
that they were all gay. The boohoo crowd
tried to make out that Hadji was a slave or
a stereotype or both but most of us kids
didn't have any such notions and just enjoyed
the show.

Sim sim sala bim !
Left Ft. Worth in Oct 69. Loved the rodeo and "Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show!"

Saw both Ken Curtis and Fess Parker there!!!
My favorite was the Sargasso Sea episode with the lizard men. Here's a video of wall art stencil based on the lizard men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnG3-LfyMBI
Jonny appears (sort of) as "action Johnny" on The Venture Brothers. I highly recommend giving that show a look.
Originally Posted by seppli
My favorite was the Sargasso Sea episode with the lizard men. Here's a video of wall art stencil based on the lizard men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnG3-LfyMBI

Farr out !
Originally Posted by Ranger99
I almost forgot Mr. Peppermint

Saw him several times at different places
Twice at Halloween pumpkin giveaways

Mr. Peppermint is the father of the lead singer for the "Butthole Surfers"

Gives new perspective to Mr. Peppermint playing his "magic comb"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibby_Haynes

© 24hourcampfire