Home
Posted By: Tyrone Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
With Mozilla's CEO calling for "more than deplatforming" of not only Trump, but ALL Conservatives ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/ ), it is past time to switch from Firefox to some other browser, like Brave.

This is the same group of people that ousted their former CEO, Brendan Eich, just for supporting real family and standing up against sodomy. ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...dan-eich-crossed-a-line/?sh=4e1d04666f8a )

I suggest Brave because not only is it a decent browser with some nice security features, but it is also headed up by - guess who? Brendan Eich!

F U CK Mozilla!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
When you uninstall Firefox, you are given a chance to tell them why. Make sure you do.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
I just downloaded and installed it. Still getting set up.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
phug. Them too huh?
What about TOR?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
How do you switch to brave?
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
How do you switch to brave?
https://brave.com/download/
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
What about TOR?
Brave includes a TOR browser plugin.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone
With Mozilla's CEO calling for "more than deplatforming" of not only Trump, but ALL Conservatives ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/ ), it is past time to switch from Firefox to some other browser, like Brave.

This is the same group of people that ousted their former CEO, Brendan Eich, just for supporting real family and standing up against sodomy. ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...dan-eich-crossed-a-line/?sh=4e1d04666f8a )

I suggest Brave because not only is it a decent browser with some nice security features, but it is also headed up by - guess who? Brendan Eich!

F U CK Mozilla!
I wonder how fast Google will get it either shut down or bankrupt?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Just installed Brave. Very easy.

Thanks, JakeBlues and Tyrone.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
I wonder how fast Google will get it either shut down or bankrupt?

I doubt they care.

Brave seems to be a fair alternative for some, they are the new kid on the block and not without their down side.

I've used Opera since the mid 90's, it was a "tab" browser before there were tab browsers.
Opera was the hacker's choice browser in the day, it's always had a built in ad blocker and VPN.
I've stuck with Opera just because they have kept up with the times. They were quick to produce a mobile version when the demand called for it so my phone browser is just like my PC.

Plenty of browser options out there, read up on them and choose what suits you best.

C&P from Brave Reviews

CON Hypocritical/deceptive stance on privacy and advertisement
Brave is advertised as a browser that respects your privacy and blocks ads while still supporting content creators. However, at the same time the company is making deals with Facebook, Twitter and others to whitelist their trackers and ads.

CON Same security-holes as Chrome
On the desktop: Brave uses the same browser engine as Chrome, meaning it has the same security-holes as Chrome. Chrome is a big target for hackers (being the most popular browser in the world), and a webpage that will hack Chrome may also hack Brave.

However, Brave has security features that Chrome doesn't (such as a built-in adblocker). Those features will stop many hacking attempts.

CON Power hungry, uses much more battery power than other browsers
Per default Brave enables hardware acceleration which results in a much higher energy (battery) consumption than the most other web browsers.

CON Dumbed down in the latest versions
In previous versions, Brave felt more like Firefox. Now it's been dumbed down, it feels more like Chrome/Chromium. For example: There's no menu-bar.

CON Sync issues
Unable to sync extensions, no cloud sync (only device sync).

CON Download package is very large considering it as a browser
Brave takes on a lot of roles besides just browsing so it is understandably a larger file.

CON Still dependent on Google
Since it's based on Chrome.

CON The iPhone version has some odd behavior
On reopening Brave, it often returns you to the "search results" page, rather than the webpage you had previously browsed to from the search results page. Might just be a specific configuration.

CON No reader view
Can be accessed with an extension though.

CON Uses Google as its default search engine
Quite ironic for the "privacy" browser.

CON Bookmark button located on the left side of the URL bar and can't be moved.

‐‐-----------

PRO Takes care of privacy and security
Takes privacy seriously by blocking ads and trackers and not tracking people's searches. Things like https everywhere and no tracking are standard with Brave. In most other browsers, things like these are optional at best.

PRO Free/libre software
Released to the community under the Mozilla Public License (MPL), this software respect the FSF's four freedoms, including the freedom to use, modify, and redistribute with or without modification freely.

PRO Built-in adblocking
Other apps make it difficult to block ads without rooting your phone or going through unoptimized add-on stores, but Link Bubble blocks them out of the box, making browsing much less crowded. Contains an optional "Allow Brave Acceptable Ads" So you can support the site you truly enjoy.

PRO Option to disable additional privacy concerns
Like fingerprint tracking.

PRO Option to pay supported sites based on view time percentage
Set up automatic micro-donations. Brave will automatically divide a monthly donation among the top sites you visit.

And/or, you can decide which sites get what percentage of your donation. It’s called pinning.

PRO Tor is available right in the browser
PRO Optional feature for you to get reimbursed for viewing ads
Basic Attention Token; you can decide to opt into a new blockchain-based digital advertising system, giving publishers a better deal and users a share of the ad revenue for their attention.

PRO Very fast
The fastest browser out there.

PRO Now supports Chrome Webstore
It's now a faster, less intrusive Chrome.

PRO Faster than Google Chrome
Brave consistently beats Chrome in speed, might have to do with less tracking being run in the background.

PRO Built-in torrent client
PRO Developed by creator of Mozilla and Javascript
PRO Sync is now available
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Brave's been around for a while. I've been using it for at least a year. It does have 1 problem: it doesn't work with all websites. I've tried to order stuff online and it will stop working on some sites. Some online forms won't work right. Sometimes it will screw up with a search on a site. It's very similar to Chrome but not exactly the same. Occasionally I have to open Chrome to get a site to work.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Brave's been around for a while. I've been using it for at least a year. It does have 1 problem: it doesn't work with all websites. I've tried to order stuff online and it will stop working on some sites. Some online forms won't work right. Sometimes it will screw up with a search on a site. It's very similar to Chrome but not exactly the same. Occasionally I have to open Chrome to get a site to work.
I think a lot of that is due to security features. Something to investigate.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
I run Linux Mint on a desktop, so power consumption isn't a problem. However, since Mint does not support the SNAP package manager, Brave is more difficult to install on Mint. (You have to use Terminal commands, which they helpfully have listed on their webpage. If you run Linux and go to their site, you are automatically taken to the "Brave for Linux" sub-pages.) If you run Feren Linux, Brave is one of eight browsers that come pre-installed.

I powered up my Linux testing laptop which is currently running Zorin. I was able to install Brave via SNAP and found that it runs RoboForm as an extension - a MUST for me. I was able to import my Firefox bookmarks and such, and am now typing this on Brave. The built-in ad blocker works even here on the 'Fire, btw.

I'll putz around a bit on this machine and Brave today. If I find no serious issues, I'll add Brave to my desk machine
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I run Linux Mint on a desktop, so power consumption isn't a problem. However, since Mint does not support the SNAP package manager, Brave is more difficult to install on Mint. (You have to use Terminal commands, which they helpfully have listed on their webpage. If you run Linux and go to their site, you are automatically taken to the "Brave for Linux" sub-pages.) If you run Feren Linux, Brave is one of eight browsers that come pre-installed.

I powered up my Linux testing laptop which is currently running Zorin. I was able to install Brave via SNAP and found that it runs RoboForm as an extension - a MUST for me. I was able to import my Firefox bookmarks and such, and am now typing this on Brave. The built-in ad blocker works even here on the 'Fire, btw.

I'll putz around a bit on this machine and Brave today. If I find no serious issues, I'll add Brave to my desk machine

Huh? I'm getting too old to learn yet another language. My Mandarin, Swahili, and Navaho classes keep me too busy as it is. I do know what linux is, anyway. It's that wild cat that looks kinda like a bobcat.
Posted By: CoElk101 Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Thanks Tyrone it works great for me.
Sorry, RC. That post would be perfectly clear to anyone running Linux as their operating system. (Which a man as smart as you are could manage without breaking sweat.)

RoboForm is the #1 rated password manager and form filler-outer. It is SO good that it is one of the two programs I consider "musts" on any computer. There are versions for most browsers as extensions/add-ons, including Brave.

BTW, if Brave doesn't suit you, you might look into the Vivaldi browser. Also touted as fast, secure, private, and runs most Chrome extensions like RoboForm.
There's another issue with Brave - it has a habit of opening new windows. I'll have a half dozen tabs open and will be happily reading the Fire then realize that the Fire is open on a different window. All the rest of the tabs will still be open on the 1st window but the Fire will have moved.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Dissenter is another browser alternative. I think Brave may be deceptive about who they really are.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Only one solution - boycott everything! crazy
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Dissenter is another browser alternative. I think Brave may be deceptive about who they really are.
I think Brendan Eich is for real. He's paid some dues.

Anybody who has invested in Brendan's Brave browser knew full darn well who they were teaming up with. I'd say that makes them pretty solid too.
What Brave does well is block ads and popups without having to mess with add ons. It's built in and works great. I never see any at all.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
This is cut and pasted from my thread as another alternative people can try:

For folks looking at desktop browser options, as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, give Iridium a try. It's a Chrome spin off like many others, was built from the ground up for security, and it's probably got the smallest overhead of similar browsers. It loads the Campfire faster than all the browsers I have tried. I would add the Ublock Origin ad blocker extension to keep those at bay. Ublock probably has the least overhead of ad blockers too. It does not have a browser level VPN, so you would have to add one if you wanted to go that route. But for basic security and performance out of the box, you probably won't find better. It also comes with Qwant as the default search engine and has all the pointers to Google services disabled if that matters to you.

https://iridiumbrowser.de
I just looked at Iridium. It won't download. The download button doesn't work.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
I just looked at Iridium. It won't download. The download button doesn't work.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the operating system options. Worked fine for me from there. In my case, I selected Windows and the 64 bit option and the download happened right away.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
tag
I've used Dissenter for only a few minutes now, but I LIKE it. Maybe the other suggestions are just as good, I dunno...but if you try Dissenter you'll be pleasantly surprised.
If you have an Android, check the play store for Dissenter. It ain't there. Google appears to be happy to offer Brave, however. Mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.
One caution note: Don't delete Firefox until you're absolutely sure your new browser works with all your extensions and add-ons, and that it imports your bookmarks and passwords (if you use the browser's built-in password manager) Also be sure there's a sync option to migrate everything from machine to machine.

There's no penalty from having multiple browsers installed, and you can name any of them as your default.
A friend who works in IT and is very security-conscious recommended Brave to me, I have been using it for several months. I have found no downsides as yet.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Tag
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If you have an Android, check the play store for Dissenter. It ain't there. Google appears to be happy to offer Brave, however. Mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.

Dissenter is more resource intensive.
Windows 64bit, Linux and Apple OS.
I believe it is also by Brandon Eich though I cannot find reference of that fact on Crunchbase.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
The whole discussion reminds me of the short guy going in the bar and taking a poke at the 6'4" oak tree.
One caution note: Don't delete Firefox until you're absolutely sure your new browser works with all your extensions and add-ons, and that it imports your bookmarks and passwords (if you use the browser's built-in password manager) Also be sure there's a sync option to migrate everything from machine to machine.

There's no penalty from having multiple browsers installed, and you can name any of them as your default.

Smart. I installed Brave this morning on Mint OS, and I'm getting an error. It;s working but there is a glitch showing up in the terminal. Hoping for some help from the Mint folks.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21

No sidebar for bookmarks without accessing "bookmarks"?

Can you set the search engine tab in address bar area at top of page?
Wayne, did you use the Terminal commands from the Brave website?
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone

F U CK Mozilla!

Holy chit, thanks for the heads-up....will do!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
This is cut and pasted from my thread as another alternative people can try:

For folks looking at desktop browser options, as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, give Iridium a try. It's a Chrome spin off like many others, was built from the ground up for security, and it's probably got the smallest overhead of similar browsers. It loads the Campfire faster than all the browsers I have tried. I would add the Ublock Origin ad blocker extension to keep those at bay. Ublock probably has the least overhead of ad blockers too. It does not have a browser level VPN, so you would have to add one if you wanted to go that route. But for basic security and performance out of the box, you probably won't find better. It also comes with Qwant as the default search engine and has all the pointers to Google services disabled if that matters to you.

https://iridiumbrowser.de

Will check that out too.....thanks Jake.
Wayne, did you use the Terminal commands from the Brave website?

No I didn't, I used a Linux affiliated website commands. Or so I thought it was affiliated, maybe. Regardless, I've been using it all day, and there are things that I'm used to from FF that Brave doesn't have, configuring the desktop. Seems not as user friendly as before. Not that it's bad, just not what I've grown to like.

If I decide to keep it, I'll delete it and reload it again. Anything can happen during that process. Mint was very specific to authenticate the download before installing, maybe for a reason.
I'm going to keep using Firefox until they actually block something conservative, like my news sites or the 'Fire. All this may come to nothing if they get too many complaints and recant After all, such an action directly violates their founding principle of a free and open source browser.
I installed Iridium to see what it's like. It calls itself Chrome so what is it? It doesn't have my bookmarks or adblockers as I haven't imported them yet.

A while back I changed my 24hr avatar, or tried to. The old one keeps coming back. Right now I have Chrome, Iridium, Edge,and Brave open. Chrome and Iridium have the new avatar, Brave and Edge have the old one, all from the same profile.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
Cookiesin the old browers are recreating it.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
I moved from FF to Brave this afternoon and agree with others that it is not as friendly as FF. I'm going to keep it for a week to see if i can get used to the new commands. I do miss that bookmark section that drops down and is frozen.
What good does all this do me on my android and chromebook?
If you have a chrome book you are probably hosed as that is a Google OS (I think)
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
I installed Iridium to see what it's like. It calls itself Chrome so what is it? It doesn't have my bookmarks or adblockers as I haven't imported them yet.

A while back I changed my 24hr avatar, or tried to. The old one keeps coming back. Right now I have Chrome, Iridium, Edge,and Brave open. Chrome and Iridium have the new avatar, Brave and Edge have the old one, all from the same profile.

Several browsers out there use the Chromium code base. They each have unique tweaks to the build to make in more secure or lower overhead.
I see Brave includes Qwant as an available search engine.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
tag, I'll get my son to help with this.
On the mobile versions of the chromium variants like Brave, if anyone wants a really simple home page, I use a linear list of the mobile bookmarks. So if you go to the home page, it simply shows your bookmarks and you can click whatever bookmark you want and go from there. Some of the browsers hide bookmarks in a menu. I like to have them all right there on the home screen. In your settings, under the homepage section, just use the following URL:

chrome-native://bookmarks/
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
What good does all this do me on my android and chromebook?
I've never used a chromebook but Preparation H works well on androids.
I see something called Brave Rewards. That makes me wonder if there's a spyware like thread on that browser. I do not know the answer to that question but it sounds like something that links back home somewhere and tracks something. That's at least a red flag for me right now...
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21
I see something called Brave Rewards. That makes me wonder if there's a spyware like thread on that browser. I do not know the answer to that question but it sounds like something that links back home somewhere and tracks something. That's at least a red flag for me right now...

My limited understanding is if you opt in for ADs you can earn rewards.

Right now I am liking Brave as it is much faster than FF and Mozilla is a schitt corporation.

I sort of think nothing is really safe and secure on the net so don't do dumb things on the net.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21

I saw that in a review, and I immediately said no thanks.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Dump Firefox for Brave - 01/12/21

Heard there was a new browser...FORT SUMPTER.
There's not a lot of secure options that haven't sold their souls or moved to China. The Tor browser is going to be the most secure but it's slow as molasses. I may go that route because if I'm going online on my phone, it's for something simple and I can wait a few more seconds. If I want to do more in depth surfing, I can find a laptop. I wish Iridium made a mobile browser because it would be both secure and fast with no other crap. Maybe they will some day.
© 24hourcampfire