Home
Posted By: Mgw619 Ammo be gone - 01/12/21
As if it wasnt hard enough to find...it now seems there is virtual no new rifle of shotgun hunting ammo hitting the net or shelves as of last week. There for the last several weeks if was able to be found online by frequent looking. I'm seeing nothing now except for sky high priced stuff and odd ball stuff no one can use. What gives?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/12/21
Don’t worry .gov will bring unity on 1-21-2021
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Ammo be gone - 01/12/21
Guns and ammo will be outlawed in the new world order.
Thread in GW about what cartridges are dead. So if you can’t find ammo, can’t find powder and can’t find primers then how many cartridges are dead. All of them eventually.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ammo be gone - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by Mgw619
As if it wasnt hard enough to find...it now seems there is virtual no new rifle of shotgun hunting ammo hitting the net or shelves as of last week. There for the last several weeks if was able to be found online by frequent looking. I'm seeing nothing now except for sky high priced stuff and odd ball stuff no one can use. What gives?
Most hunting ammo is made in limited runs right before hunting season. Hunting season is mostly over so no more until August or so.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
[/quote]Most hunting ammo is made in limited runs right before hunting season. Hunting season is mostly over so no more until August or so.

You are dreaming. What’s the old saying wish in one hand, sh*t in the other.
Posted By: krp Re: Ammo be gone - 01/12/21
No sense in buying a different gun if you can't get ammo or components, found that out. I'm well stocked in large centerfire, large handgun, shotgun components... never had a 22 centerfire before or a 357. I have powder that crosses over and found bullets, but need SR SP primers.

I see guns for sale on local classifieds that don't sell, unless they come with ammo.

Kent
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Most hunting ammo is made in limited runs right before hunting season. Hunting season is mostly over so no more until August or so.

That's just not so.

Some ammo is made in cycles, as needed or as demand dictates.

But common cartridges are produced year round.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Anyone else been looking and found this to be the case? Or am I just black listed
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Anyone else been looking and found this to be the case? Or am I just black listed

We are months into this shortage.

Where have you been?
Posted By: scoony Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Just picked up a box of 7mm mag for a new to me rifle to see what it can do before I buy reloading stuff. That box sat on that shelf for so long collecting dust, the price sticker was $12. Todays price was $39 there were a few more boxes there. One of those stores that you would drive by everyday and not even think about it.

Academy Sports on the other hand, had bare shelves and maybe 2 firearms. Another local hardware store has Nosler ammo on sale. 264wm, 300wm, 338 lup, and 338 ultra something, and a few other oddballs. 22 Nosler was $16 a box I think. They stopped selling firearms and trying to get rid of that ammo. Another LGS has ammo on the shelves, just not the most common stuff.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Why hasn't someone mentioned this before?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I and my buddies “standardized” our equipment and calibers 10 years ago. All my main hunting rifles as well as others are standardized around the .308. I have other hunting rifles that fill niches like .338WM and 7mmRM, etc but AR’s, Glock 19’s etc allow for flexibility among a group of friends. It makes hunting trips easier since it seems someone (never me) forgets ammo or my buddy realizes he left the mag to his BAR at home only once we’re in the “bush” of Alaska. 😁
Posted By: Springcove Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I just bought 2 boxes of 9mm and some waterfowl loads. Still can’t find any 338 win mag or Nosler 280ai. Soon maybe...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Whut inna werlds gon on?

Caint fines no 220 gr core lokts for my 742

haw haw haw
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Like old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
What's the situation on 22lr?

Are reloading supplies also scarce?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I hope catfish stinkbait dough balls are still attainable
I saw one cheese at the lbs but they were all out of liver and blood flavor.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

During the .22 rimfire bubble, the productive capacity was increased from about 4 billion rimfire rounds to 5 billion rimfire rounds per year. The National Shooting Sports Foundation has estimated total ammunition produced for the United States market in 2017 at 8.1 billion rounds. In 2018, the total ammunition production for the United States was estimated at 8.7 billion rounds. The numbers for 2019 should be published in December of 2020.
A reasonable extrapolation puts the amount of ammunition produced for the United States market at somewhat over 9 billion rounds, of which 5 billion are rimfire and 4 billion are centerfire rifle, pistol, and shotgun rounds in 2020.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/how-much-ammunition-is-produced-for-the-united-states-market/

Yes I'm aware this has been going on for months and quickly getting more scarce. But its seems to have come to a point where the tiny bit that was trickling out has stopped.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

In a sea of stupidity, this post stands out like a beacon in the night.
Posted By: Limomaker Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I ain't thawing out my Mcrib for bait, I might have to have in battle. From my cold dead hands!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

Plenty of both at Trader Joes.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
What gives?

Yeah I hear you. What could possibly be going on in the US that would drive up the demand for ammunition?

I can't think of one single thing really. Nothing at all that would pile increased demand on top of already high demand. This really is a head scratcher.

Somebody owes us an explanation.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I delivered almost 10k rounds to various people on my UPS route today. Midway musta had some come in at some point b/c it was all IWI 5.56 stuff. Delivered a bunch of 9mm from Freedom Munitions to others and they all said that you have to be sitting around the computer waiting on it to show "in stock"

I gottta work..... crazy
Originally Posted by Stickfight
What gives?

Yeah I hear you. What could possibly be going on in the US that would drive up the demand for ammunition?

I can't think of one single thing really. Nothing at all that would pile increased demand on top of already high demand. This really is a head scratcher.

Somebody owes us an explanation.

Great post. Yes I along with everyone else here is aware of what's going on and the why and how.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I really don’t buy the “reasons” we are being given for the almost complete dearth of ammunition and components. Someone turned off the spigot.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I really don’t buy the “reasons” we are being given for the almost complete dearth of ammunition and components. Someone turned off the spigot.

I disagree, I think they throttled it to capitalize on the extremely high demand and they are fueling each other. Something will give, tensions are too tight
Posted By: JeffP Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

If you duck hunt pm me I know where there is stock
I brought a case today
Posted By: Browtine Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Gristle
I delivered almost 10k rounds to various people on my UPS route today. Midway musta had some come in at some point b/c it was all IWI 5.56 stuff. Delivered a bunch of 9mm from Freedom Munitions to others and they all said that you have to be sitting around the computer waiting on it to show "in stock"

I gottta work..... crazy

Freedom is showing some 9 in stock right now.
Posted By: windridge Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

That what you shoot in your Hi Point?

They over penetrate.
Posted By: drover Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Is there an ammo and component shortage going on?

drover
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

I been selling 22LR for a couple of weeks where you been?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
My friends use to tease me for loading 9mm...... I have the last laugh... smile
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Gristle

I gottta work..... crazy

Sign up for in stock email alert. The email has a link to the product you want to buy. You can literally pause what you are doing and buy it in 30 seconds of receiving the email alert.
I have had 15lbs of powder delivered this week
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have had 15lbs of powder delivered this week

I only had 6, and two of the bottles were broken. cry
Posted By: 16bore Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I’ve got 3-1/2 boxes of 270 Win and wondering if I should buy a rifle. 🤣
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by 16bore

Go slow....Start with a new blouse 👚

😜🦫

No... list the ammo in the classified .... for quadruple the price.... retire on a beach in Mexico.... you can thank me later... wink
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Local Walmart had 500 rounds of 28 gauge AAs. I almost bought them so I could justify buying a new shotgun. That was the only ammo they had.

Dunham’s in the mall had 4 boxes of .220 swift and s few boxes of 6mm Creedmore. And a box of .250 Savage. I’d say normalize prices. I bought the Savage just to have the brass handy. Also had some .458 Winchester or some other such nonsense at $180/box.

Academy had absolutely nothing. Heard the girl behind the gun counter say the doors open at 9, the line usually starts around 8, and everything they put out is sold in the first wave.

Local mom and pop had Sellier and Beloit FMJ in 9mm, 40s&w, .45ACP and 10mm. $40/50. Back in early fall last year they also had a slew of Walmart synthetic stocked Weatherbies for $450
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain

In a sea of stupidity, this post stands out like a beacon in the night.

In a sea of stupidity, it's more like one of those "rogue waves" that sinks a huge ship.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by irfubar

No... list the ammo in the classified .... for quadruple the price.... retire on a beach in Mexico.... you can thank me later... wink

Redneck 401K
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I got an email this evening from Shooters Pro Shop that they had 9mm JHP 124gr blems in stock. I went down the hall to check my supply, came back and they were out. If you see something you can use, order it NOW.
Posted By: windridge Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

That's a good enough excuse...errrr...REASON.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I asked my local Walmart manager about am mo, as in when it arrives and when it is put on the shelves. He told me they get some ammo every day, but don't know what is coming. He told me to get to the store as soon as it opens and check the shelves. Sure enough, next day I was there when the store opened and went directly to sporting goods. On the shelf was 6 boxes of Winchester power points, 150gr in 270win. I no longer own a 270 so I walked away.
Originally Posted by 700LH

During the .22 rimfire bubble, the productive capacity was increased from about 4 billion rimfire rounds to 5 billion rimfire rounds per year. The National Shooting Sports Foundation has estimated total ammunition produced for the United States market in 2017 at 8.1 billion rounds. In 2018, the total ammunition production for the United States was estimated at 8.7 billion rounds. The numbers for 2019 should be published in December of 2020.
A reasonable extrapolation puts the amount of ammunition produced for the United States market at somewhat over 9 billion rounds, of which 5 billion are rimfire and 4 billion are centerfire rifle, pistol, and shotgun rounds in 2020.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/how-much-ammunition-is-produced-for-the-united-states-market/

I think Gemby has at least half of the 8.7 billion rounds of .22 ammo produced last year. Holler at him if you need any.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Guns and ammo will be outlawed in the new world order.

They are trying to starve us out. Without ammo, we can not shoot back..
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

I need some decorating advice. wink
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
I saw one cheese at the lbs but they were all out of liver and blood flavor.

Those don't taste good. No ammo to shoot deer really must suck!!!
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I need some decorating advice. wink

Buy a 270 and decorate your walls with deer and elk mounts.
Posted By: HankMcMauser Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by slumlord

That what you shoot in your Hi Point?

They over penetrate.

And the overwhelming stench makes follow up second shot a beyotch
Posted By: HankMcMauser Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
As of last Wednesday afternoon the Dicks in Monroe La. had 12 and 20 ga steel field loads at $4.97/box. Flew in on business, otherwise Id've cleaned them out. If your local it might be worth checking out. I found some Remington gun club 12 ga shells at midway for $9.99/box and got 1/2 a case. Don't want to let my cash on hand dwindle to much at this time.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad

You'd think there'd be 40 or 50 threads on this by now.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Where have you been?
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

I really would like to know the truth as well. The American Rifleman just put out that the makers are running flat-out. Seems strange to me.
Posted By: 673 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Up here too, went to the ammo store and they only had two small boxes of primers, so I bought one with 1,000.
Only maybe 10lbs of obscure powder wtf??
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by ledvm

I really would like to know the truth as well. The American Rifleman just put out that the makers are running flat-out. Seems strange to me.

Remember when "they" turned off the toilet paper supply a while back? Weird! I guess if you can't wipe your butt you can't fight.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Yes I'm aware this has been going on for months and quickly getting more scarce. But its seems to have come to a point where the tiny bit that was trickling out has stopped.

And with Biden almost into stolen office now you really thought it wouldn't get worse? Everyone is buying anything even if they don't need. Not to mention the fuggin scalpers again too.

I'm amazed when people are amazed. We've been through a few cycles of this before unless you are just totally new and young you should have expected it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Thankfully, each and every one of them has contributed greatly to alleviating the problem.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

Thankfully, each and every one of them has contributed greatly to alleviating the problem.

A few dozen more and we will have thrown of the shackles of The Most Recent Greatest Ammo Shortage of the Week
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by rost495

And with Biden almost into stolen office now you really thought it wouldn't get worse? Everyone is buying anything even if they don't need. Not to mention the fuggin scalpers again too.

I'm amazed when people are amazed. We've been through a few cycles of this before unless you are just totally new and young you should have expected it.

I'm unamazed when others are unamazed.

Don't you know? There is no more truth, only "fake news." So put on your tin foil hats, and deal with it.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

If you call not being able to find bullets and primers scarce, then yes.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

Don't you know? There is no more truth, only "fake news." So put on your tin foil hats, and deal with it.

There is definitely no source of reliable news that I know of.

If you have one...please share.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

Midwayusa and ammoseek have it if you’re willing to pay up to 4$+per round for hunting ammunition.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21

Funny post, are you a Biden voter? So why then in normal times there is ammo on the shelves year around? The mere fact ammunition is hard to come by should appear ominous to you. If you were a thinker you would have some idea why.

Yep after so many "stories" from FOX, crazy theories from any of the news sources we usually watch I agree reliable news sources are non existent. Part of it lies in the current 24 hour news cycle does not give so called journalists time to vet their stories. Like the one about raiding a server in Frankfurt. Or that special forces stole Pelosi's laptop.

Personally, I only believe 1) what I can see for myself and 2) what Mule Deer posts.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Ammo be gone - 01/13/21
In a local sporting goods dept. recently about the only thing I saw was a few boxes of 6mm ARC. Hell; I have yet to even see a 6mm ARC chambered rifle. No wonder they had some of that ammo in stock.
I found 7.62x39 and 350 Legend on the shelf at a local Academy, nothing else.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ammo be gone - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

Yep after so many "stories" from FOX, crazy theories from any of the news sources we usually watch I agree reliable news sources are non existent. Part of it lies in the current 24 hour news cycle does not give so called journalists time to vet their stories. Like the one about raiding a server in Frankfurt. Or that special forces stole Pelosi's laptop.
OANN. Newsmax I think. Might be the only two but we don't watch news period.
© 24hourcampfire