Home
Posted By: gophergunner Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
Well, I just got home from 10 days in the hospital dealing with compacted discs and a slew of other maladies to my back. There will be more work needed to get me back on my feet, but at least I can get around the house right now.They fed me lots of pain pills, some of which had some serious mindbender effecks. Gabapentin is some nasty stuff, and I hope I never have to take it again.

I don't plan on giving up the outdoor activity I love, which is deer hunting even if it means I'm down to hunting 100 yards off the roads. I'll do as much as I can to have a quality experience. I want to go with a lighter rifle. What do you guys suggest? A Winchester Model 70 FWT? Any brand's okay with me. Caliber will need to be something between .243 and .308 I'm not picky, have shot most of these rounds, and have little doubt they can get the job done. So I'm looking for a lightweight, carbine lenght bolt action with a lightweight scope. rings, and bases.

What would you guys suggest? I'm sure gonna miss carrying my 99's but I'll have to go ligter from now on.

Thanks for your help guys.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
I dont think there’s enough difference in weight between a 99 and a Model 70 Featherweight to justify giving it up.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
If you’ve got to go trim and light, I’m a big fan of my Kimbers, but again, that’s not much weight difference at all.
You ever handle a 1920 Savage?
My sons both have the Ruger American compacts in .308 and the love them. They carry these even though they have "better" rifles.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
What about a single shot H&R break action Youth in 243 or 223 with fixed 4xpower scope?
This in .243 or .308 would be my choice for what you describe:

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-synthetic-compact/

It's worked for both of my sons, and it's super accurate with several factory loads:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or something like this in .308 (which also will help in case you get attacked by a Chinese rifle platoon):

Slum's suggestion of the break-open in 243 is a good one. The Henry single shots seem to have pretty nice furniture. M70 Featherweights are great (I have two)... but if you're really looking for something light, they might not be the ticket. They aren't heavy. But they aren't that light either.
I would buy another 260 Rem, maybe in a model 7.

But the 7 is hard to find these days and even more difficult in 260.

So I s'pose I would have to slum a Ruger American in 6.5 Creed. I am secure in my masculinity. I think I could pull it off. (If I did not already have 3 260s in the safe)
If you're serious about going lighter, there are some stock options that really help. My go-to rifle is a Rem Mountain rifle in the Ti stock. It's just a plain jane, blue ADL, but it's short, light, balances perfectly and accurate
It weights 6.5 pounds with a Leupold 1.75-6 and Talley LW rings.

I'm not pimping Remington (I buy older guns and fix em up) and didn't mention the chambering on purpose....it really doesn't matter.

If recoil is a concern, I would consider the 6.5 CM, as much as it hurts me to say that. smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
How much do your 99s weigh and what ultimate weight are you looking for?

That might help with some suggestions.

Good luck finding something to suit your needs and good on you for not giving up.
You don't mention a budget which will determine the best rifle and scope for you situation. Most manufacturers make a really light weight rifle. Kimber probably makes the lightest but its almost $2k. With neck and back issues, another thing to consider is a really good recoil pad and possibly a muzzle brake especially with a light weight rifle. As for calibers, don't forget 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, and 260. If you don't need a super flat shooter then 7mm-08 is a good low recoil round. You want something that you can get ammo at wally world, when there is ammo, then go 243 or 308. I would push more towards 308 of the 2 but recoil maybe a factor. If you aren't going to be making any shots over 100 yds, a ruger 77/44 might be a good choice.

If money is not an issue

Kimber mountain ascent in 7mm-08 with a swaro z3 3-9x36. Total weight 5 pounds 9 oz, loaded with scope rings is probably pushing 6 pounds. Comes standard with muzzle brake and pachmayr 1 inch decelerator pad. Total cost approximately $2500.
Tikka T3x Superlite in .243 -or- previous model in .7mm-08 would be hard to beat. Meopta Meopro is the best rifle optic (for the money) on the market right now, IMO.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
A post war 99F featherweight in a 243, 300 or 250 savage (I would avoid the 308 due to recoil unless you reload) and a lightweight scope and mounts might not be that big a load to carry and you can still enjoy hunting with a 99. Other than that there's been plenty of suggestions of other rifles.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
my AR is the lightest rifle i own. its a 5.56 though, not sure what a 308 upper would add in weight but probably not much.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
A Remington Model 7 would be a good choice. I hope you get through the health problems soon and not suffer any more.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
Getcha a 99 thats had a few attempts at side mount scope bases.......

Lightening holes wink
Posted By: deflave Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
99's aren't heavy.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
jeff, sorry to hear this. hope you're doing ok now. text me and let me know more, and if i can help in any way.

for light weight, can't beat a plastic stocked rifle with 22 inch barrel like a savage 10 or 11, or a 700 adl...
My 35 EG once scoped was not light.
Metal buttplate too.
.300 savage, not bad but had some bump.

Recoil pad w high comb stock for scope use, on a featherweight is what id do.

Really light deer rifle.....Contender rifle, synth in .35 rem
Was a joy to carry.
You didn’t mention price but if you can find a Barret Fieldcaft that would seem to check off all the boxes.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/13/21
First two that come to mind to me are the Tikka T3x and the older Rem 700 Mountain Rifle. I love them both. You can get a .223 Rem in the Tikka Superlight with a 1;8 twist that would make a nice deer rifle. Get one in just about any of the lighter calibers for deer and be just sitting pretty. My Model 700 mountain rifle in .280 is wonderful rifle as well.
I have a screwed up neck and back so avoid slinging a rifle over my shoulder.

My Rem 760 got the nod this past deer season as my Steyr Prohunter is heavy.

Did take a B Number 1 a couple times, short travel though.
Too long and heavy for that place, bye bye.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You ever handle a 1920 Savage?
No I haven't. Can you tell me a little more about this gun?
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Well, I just got home from 10 days in the hospital dealing with compacted discs and a slew of other maladies to my back. There will be more work needed to get me back on my feet, but at least I can get around the house right now.They fed me lots of pain pills, some of which had some serious mindbender effecks. Gabapentin is some nasty stuff, and I hope I never have to take it again.

I don't plan on giving up the outdoor activity I love, which is deer hunting even if it means I'm down to hunting 100 yards off the roads. I'll do as much as I can to have a quality experience. I want to go with a lighter rifle. What do you guys suggest? A Winchester Model 70 FWT? Any brand's okay with me. Caliber will need to be something between .243 and .308 I'm not picky, have shot most of these rounds, and have little doubt they can get the job done. So I'm looking for a lightweight, carbine lenght bolt action with a lightweight scope. rings, and bases.

What would you guys suggest? I'm sure gonna miss carrying my 99's but I'll have to go ligter from now on.

Just get the featherweight.
It's on your mind.
You probably want it since ya mentioned it.
Got the benjamins
Get a pre 64 or a 5 or 6 digit Crf new haven.

Ammo availabilty in this day and the future might drive the pony caliber wise.
A 243 with 95 to 100gr bullets or a .308 with 150,s to 165,s.

Just saying....
Renegade

I’m pretty sure he has you on ignore
Let me check.
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Mk V rifles are extremely light. Less than six pounds. One in .243 Winchester (using 100 grain bullets) should be perfect.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

Fugg the OP, doubt he’s killed anything in 10 years
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
You don't mention a budget which will determine the best rifle and scope for you situation. Most manufacturers make a really light weight rifle. Kimber probably makes the lightest but its almost $2k. With neck and back issues, another thing to consider is a really good recoil pad and possibly a muzzle brake especially with a light weight rifle. As for calibers, don't forget 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, and 260. If you don't need a super flat shooter then 7mm-08 is a good low recoil round. You want something that you can get ammo at wally world, when there is ammo, then go 243 or 308. I would push more towards 308 of the 2 but recoil maybe a factor. If you aren't going to be making any shots over 100 yds, a ruger 77/44 might be a good choice.

If money is not an issue

Kimber mountain ascent in 7mm-08 with a swaro z3 3-9x36. Total weight 5 pounds 9 oz, loaded with scope rings is probably pushing 6 pounds. Comes standard with muzzle brake and pachmayr 1 inch decelerator pad. Total cost approximately $2500.
Budget's gonna be in the 1K range. This will be my last deer rifle so the budget's a little bigger. I'm game for the 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, or the .308. Actually I'll be leaning towards the .308. This is my last rifle, so I won't be looking at the bottom end stuff. I don't know how many hunts are left in this old body. It matters to me that this is something my son, daughter, or grandkid would hunt with too. Lots to consider here.
Be slick if you could find a Rem600 in 243.

Even better if I could.
Posted By: ledvm Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21

Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout.

Light, short, handy, and zero recoil to hurt your back. To 150 yards...it is deadly. The cartridge and rifle are very accurate.

I can give you a good load for it.
I wonder if my 8mm would be classified as a lightweight???
7 pds 13 14 oz
Scoped and loaded.

Sure as heck waaaaaay lighter than my 6 digit new haven crf classic sporter ot6.

Love da mauser...

Ot6 been cased up for 3 yrs....
With no foreseeable woods time this fall either.

Op should get the featherweight he mentioned.
Posted By: coobie Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
How about a 260 cal.
Oddly, I just checked, and the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Mk V isn't available in .243 Winchester. Nuts.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

^^^^^
This is why he has you on ignore.
Big meanie...
Being Golddust from the WWE shattering dreams all da time and schit.

I'm gonna speak to Mrs. Slumlord about this stuff.
Suggest to her about getting some self improvement DVD,s geared towards you.
She might sacrifice 2 or 3 nights of lifetime or hallmark channel and watch and discuss these with you.

Humanity will also benefit from a new and improved slumlord.

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by ledvm

Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout.

Light, short, handy, and zero recoil to hurt your back. To 150 yards...it is deadly. The cartridge and rifle are very accurate.

I can give you a good load for it.
Posted By: goalie Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
My Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308 is under 7 pounds with sling, scope, and loaded.

You're welcome to try her out.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Originally Posted by 1911a1
A post war 99F featherweight in ... 250 savage.

This was the first thing that came to my mind.

FC
I've got a RAR in 300BO you could try as well. It isn't heavy either, and barely kicks at all.

I've got a light Vortex razor on the Savage though, and some LPVO heavy assed illuminated reticle pig on the blackout.
Inside of 100 yards 300 Black out is more than adequate. Same rifle or a CZ 527 or Howa in 6.5 Grendel is where I would lean. I like the Mini action & believe it or not I expect a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 would suit your needs as well. Of these 6.5 Grendel Is where I lean.

Wish Tikka did a mini action.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I dont think there’s enough difference in weight between a 99 and a Model 70 Featherweight to justify giving it up.

Originally Posted by 1911a1
A post war 99F featherweight in a 243, 300 or 250 savage (I would avoid the 308 due to recoil unless you reload) and a lightweight scope and mounts might not be that big a load to carry and you can still enjoy hunting with a 99. Other than that there's been plenty of suggestions of other rifles.

Agreed. I don't know which 99 you were referring to, and though I do love my M70 Featherweights, they are anything but. If you haven't already, just as 1911a1, I would suggest you give a '50s 99F in 250 a shot if you'd like to stay with a 99. If you're really looking to lighten things up, check a Montana in 7-08. At 6# .7oz with Leupold mounts and rings, wearing a VX2 2-7X33 and 4 rounds. And mild recoil to boot. Best of luck with the back.
My recommendation is a new Browning BLR in 7/08. They're fast shooting, accurate and weigh in at 6lbs 8oz.

I have one in 358 Winchester and it's a great rifle. Light and handy. It can be had in 243 Win or 308 as well.

Dan
Depends on budget. NULA in 257R, 260 Rem, 7/08, 6.5-284 are great choices, but Melvin’s M-20 is pricey.

A 1sr Gen Kimber MT in either 308 or it’s descendants is a good one and very light.

If you’re hunting at usual Eastern ranges, Win M-94 with aperture sight is worth considering, IMHE.

Had your problem years ago, required surgery, but recovered. Hope you mend completely.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
I have a Zastava mini-mauser action in a light synthetic stock, chambered in 6.5 Grendel. With a 3-9x Leupold EFR scope it weighs 6# 2oz. Shoot a 100 gr bullet at 2500 fps would do most all deer hunting just fine.

It seems like you would want to reduce both rifle weight and recoil, in order to protect your back. Best of luck with your rehab, by the way.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21

what do you have the most loaded ammo or reloading components for, on hand right now?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
6.4 pounds, 6.5 Grendel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=http[/url]

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/
Posted By: slumlord Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
When my daughter was 12, I got her a Ruger Deerfield 44

Maybe you can handle that, maybe a retarded doe will come up and nibble on your Elmer Fudd cap.

6 lbs

5 rounds of semi auto sprayin and prayin

Go and sin no more
Posted By: bcraig Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Tikka Superlight in 243 for Bolt gun
If you could use a Semi Automatic then a .223/5.56 or a 6.8 spc kills deer fine with relatively light recoil and relatively light weight.

On either with a Light weight scope you are in Business.

Maybe you can handle that, maybe a retarded doe will come up and nibble on your Elmer Fudd cap.

6 lbs

Go and sin no more

There is one on gunbroker that has been bd up to $1500 and there is 2 days left. I could kick myself for not buying one.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21

6 lbs

Go and sin no more

There is one on gunbroker that has been bd up to $1500 and there is 2 days left. I could kick myself for not buying one.

Just jump off a cliff. You don't need a gun.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21

6 lbs

Go and sin no more

LMFAO..... you big meanie..... smile
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Mid_MO_Hunter
Tikka T3x Superlite in .243 -or- previous model in .7mm-08 would be hard to beat. Meopta Meopro is the best rifle optic (for the money) on the market right now, IMO.

My tikka t3 3006 with a meopro 4x12x50 is by far the lightest bolt gun I hunt with.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by irfubar

6 lbs

Go and sin no more

LMFAO..... you big meanie..... smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
A lightweight AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel will have virtually no recoil.

It will be easy to pack and easy on your back.

It will drop deer within a few hundred yards with ease.
Find a Ruger 77 ultra light
Posted By: nugget Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 can’t be beat
Originally Posted by Bristoe

6 lbs

Go and sin no more

Just jump off a cliff. You don't need a gun.

You'd miss me too much
Have you considered a different carry method with what you have?
I used to have serious back injuries and found that sometimes techniques trump saving a pound or two. YMMV .

This guy comes off as gomer Pyle, but I think his backpack sling has some merit. I like the idea of wide straps to spread the weight and several configurations to carry to the site.
I plan to make something similar with my personal custom version.

I would definitely find a New Haven Model 70 FWT. My caliber of choice would be the 7mm-08.

For this specific purpose, I can’t imagine anything better than a Leupold VX 3i 2-8x36.

On a more important note, I wish you a speedy and full recovery sir.
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
I was thinking a CZ 527 or Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel too.
cant see where a 99 is much if any heavier than these other rifles mentioned.......

other than being old school wood/blued a 99 would be my idea of a perfect North Mn whitetail gun
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I used to have serious back injuries and found that sometimes techniques trump saving a pound or two. YMMV .

This guy comes off as gomer Pyle, but I think his backpack sling has some merit. I like the idea of wide straps to spread the weight and several configurations to carry to the site.

Holy crap!

What a retard! That guy reminds me of pretty much every single goober that desperately wanted to be someone important but wasn't, so they overdid it with everything...

Skip the retard sling. Just get a 2 point sling from any one of the various makers such as Blue Force Gear, VTAC, etc. There is a reason why pretty much everybody who carries/carried M4s for 12-15 hours a day overseas has used them for the last 15 plus years. Heck we even use them on sniper rifles since they work so well and allow you to be "hands free" when you need to be, and carry your rifle in front of you, on your side, wherever.

Posted By: deflave Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Holy crap!

What a retard! That guy reminds me of pretty much every single goober that desperately wanted to be someone important but wasn't, so they overdid it with everything...

Skip the retard sling. Just get a 2 point sling from any one of the various makers such as Blue Force Gear, VTAC, etc. There is a reason why pretty much everybody who carries/carried M4s for 12-15 hours a day overseas has used them for the last 15 plus years. Heck we even use them on sniper rifles since they work so well and allow you to be "hands free" when you need to be, and carry your rifle in front of you, on your side, wherever.

Is that the Snake?

That LaRue hat'll get ya killed
gg, why do you say gabapentin is nasty? What were the effects on you?
I'm on it due to neuropathy in my feet and hands. I have no issues with it.
What MAK said except I think the 6mm ARC is mo betta if you reload.

A lightweight AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel will have virtually no recoil.

It will be easy to pack and easy on your back.

It will drop deer within a few hundred yards with ease.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Couldn’t take it anymore. Got out of bed and grabbed a scale and a half dozen handy rifles.

To me, There’s not a nickels worth of difference in any of them.

Savage 99 EG .300 Savage with steel tube 40+ year old weaver 4x, 8# 5oz
Win 70 FW Classic .22-250 w/ VX-iii 2.5-8 8# 5 oz

Kimber Classic .308 w/Vx3 1.5-6 6# 12 oz
Kimber Classic Select .257 w/VX2 2-7 6# 13 oz
Kimber Classic Select .30-06 w/VX3i 3.5-19x40 7# 2 oz

Savage 110 .243 w/FFII 3-9 7# 11oz
700ADL .270 w/VX2 3-9 in a B&C stock 8# 7 oz
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
I have a Kimber 84 that's very light weight in 243 I load 90 grain Scirocco's very accurate
Originally Posted by Bristoe
6.4 pounds, 6.5 Grendel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=http[/url]

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

Nice rifle. I just bought the same rifle in the same chambering. I have no exact use for it but it balanced so well that I wanted it. That was enough reason to add it to the collection.
Savage Model 11 Lightweight hunter 6.5 creed. Saying 6.5 creed because I don't see it made in 7mm-08.
Originally Posted by deflave

Holy crap!

Is that the Snake?

Palm trees in the background are dead giveaway. Right next door to Sportsmans' Wharehouse
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Savage Model 11 Lightweight hunter 6.5 creed. Saying 6.5 creed because I don't see it made in 7mm-08.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Mk V is also available in 6.5 Creedmoor.

PS I had this rifle back in the 1990s. Awesome adjustable trigger. Sub MOA with favorite loads (mine was chambered in .30-06). Looks like they're asking a lot for them these days, but the super lightweight and over all quality make it worth the expense, if you can afford one. The damned things are less than six pounds.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21

simple

Tikka T3 or the T3x

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-65-Creedmoor-20-1-8-JRTXE382C.aspx

Quality rifles for a very reasonable price. And the lighweight/compact model is very light indeed. Not quite Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight light, but approaching it.
I like the V2 Compact barreled action, but don't care much for the stock, so I'd probably want to replace it and would have to factor the cost of doing so into a purchase decision.

If you're not taking shots over 100 yards, how about a Ruger 77/44?

These days I spend more time afield hunting for fox squirrels than for deer. Still hunting for fox squirrels gets me out into the woods, it is challenging, and it takes much less effort to carry them home. Hunting squirrels with an accurate rifle chambered in 17 HM2 is almost unfair.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Be slick if you could find a Rem600 in 243.

Even better if I could.

I have a Remington 660 carbine in .243. It's my rifle for everything now after neck & back surgery. It's short, light and accurate.
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
This in .243 or .308 would be my choice for what you describe:

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-synthetic-compact/

It's worked for both of my sons, and it's super accurate with several factory loads:

I agree with this recommendation. I bought one last year, on sale, at Walmart. It was announced here on the fire if you remember. I paid half of what Weatherby is advertising in your link. I gave it to one of my grandsons this Christmas. .243. He loves it.

click pic
[Linked Image from weatherby.com]
Quite a bit lighter than my 1899..

A lever action and if you need a scope, they are cheaper if they already have one!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
629 Smith
Ruger and Howa make 6.5 Grendel. Think flatter trajectory 30/30. Same are available in 223 if you can restrict yourself to CNS shot placement.
$1000ish budget for rifle/glass/mounts
Heirloom quality
Lighter than a 99 (which isn't heavy)
Possibly a Featherweight (which isn't light)

Calculating...
Calculating...
Calculating...

Get more money or drop 2 lbs of something else you tote through the woods.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Just run em down with Cathy’s mini van.
Posted By: duckster Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
If you want light and low recoil, you might look at one of the chamberings in .350 Legend. Very effective on deer out to 150-200 yard and about the recoil of a .223
Posted By: DMc Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/14/21
Be different!

Just run em down with Cathy’s mini van.

Mini van promotes poor posture

Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Ruger and Howa make 6.5 Grendel. Think flatter trajectory 30/30. Same are available in 223 if you can restrict yourself to CNS shot placement.

What happens if you just hit lungs?
Originally Posted by duckster
If you want light and low recoil, you might look at one of the chamberings in .350 Legend. Very effective on deer out to 150-200 yard and about the recoil of a .223

Uhhhh, you could also use a .223.

LOL

Makes em stronger.
The question is what do you have on the rack right now? Short action savage, rem or Howa. Easy barrel and stock change.
... They fed me lots of pain pills, some of which had some serious mindbender effecks. Gabapentin is some nasty stuff, and I hope I never have to take it again. ...

Agree on Gabapentin. Had it for a short period after surgery back in March. Excellent control for nerve pain. However, WILD psych side effects. It is now listed as an extreme allergy on my medical chart... crazy

AS far as rifle.... I would go .243 for chambering. 95-100 grain Nosler Partitions at 2900 fps will slay White Tails all day long. If you are right handed, a used Kimber Hunter or Kimber Montana would fall in your price range.
Posted By: deflave Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Makes em stronger.

I'll make a note of it.

LOL
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/12/21
You might ask kamo gari to borrow you one and he could even carry it for you.
I have a hard time suggesting either a .243 Win or .308 Win to anyone anymore. The 6.5 Creedmoor does what either of them will do and with more versatility. Having owned all 3, the 6.5 is just a better round. It catches all kinds of hell on here but truth be told it does what the others do with similar or less recoil and typical excellent accuracy with lots of options in loaded ammunition or reloading. As for what to shoot it in, if you want ugly, cheap and accurate then the Rugers and Savages will fill that need. If you want nicer the Bergara and Tikkas come to mind. You can even get it in a M70 Featherweight if you would like.
Posted By: KC Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/12/21

In Colorado, you can legally hunt deer with a .243, but it has relatively low velocity and therefore short range. 30-30 falls into the same shorter range category. So, for smaller big game like deer and pronghorn, I prefer the faster calibers like 25-06, 6mm, 7mm, .270, etc. 6.5mm Creedmoor seems to be the latest designer caliber, but I have no experience with it.

We’ve always been able to get very accurate rifles if we were willing to pay the price. But for many of us those custom rifles and high-end production firearms were out of our budget range. However, modern computerized manufacturing methods have enabled manufacturers to make extremely accurate firearms at an affordable price. So now any new rifle that I buy is one that is guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box. The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 and Thompson Center's Venture and Compass are rifles that are guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box and they can be found on the retail market for about $500. They're not pretty but they are accurate, reliable and durable enough to last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

Don't forget that your optics are as important as the rifle and caliber. It’s my opinion that the Leupold VX-3 is probably the best value scope on the market. You can spend a lot more on a scope but you can't get a better scope at any price. You can spend less but you will get less.

Posted By: MILES58 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/12/21
Jeff,

I have a 30-30 Marlin here with a very light plastic stock and a Leupie 1-4 down tight on the receiver. Shoots 150 grain TSYs at 2400 FPS into sub inch groups. Very mild recoil.

You're welcome to borrow it.

Dave
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/12/21
Originally Posted by KC

In Colorado, you can legally hunt deer with a .243, but it has relatively low velocity

Is there a .243 that I've not heard of? The .243 that I know about whizzes right along.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
If you're serious about going lighter, there are some stock options that really help. My go-to rifle is a Rem Mountain rifle in the Ti stock. It's just a plain jane, blue ADL, but it's short, light, balances perfectly and accurate
It weights 6.5 pounds with a Leupold 1.75-6 and Talley LW rings.

I'm not pimping Remington (I buy older guns and fix em up) and didn't mention the chambering on purpose....it really doesn't matter.

If recoil is a concern, I would consider the 6.5 CM, as much as it hurts me to say that. smile

A Walmart ADL in .243 or .308 and a 3-9 scope of a Ruger compact if you can find one and the same 3-9. How much recoil can you take ? If not much then the .243.

kwg
Originally Posted by KC

In Colorado, you can legally hunt deer with a .243, but it has relatively low velocity and therefore short range. 30-30 falls into the same shorter range category. So, for smaller big game like deer and pronghorn, I prefer the faster calibers like 25-06, 6mm, 7mm, .270,

You are a pretty confused individual.

.243 Win is a slow, short range cartridge. Likened to a 30-30...

But a 6mm Remington is rated in the "faster" category... grin

I'd love to hear that explanation.

6mm Remington Ballistics 100gr sp

243 Winchester Ballistics 100gr sp

30-30 150gr Ballistics

Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Lots of good options already put out there and have a couple lightweight rifles for my wife. Kimber Montana is a great rifle and many here have said the Hunter model is slightly lighter when removing the gel from the stock (directions on 24CF somewhere). Tikka is another easy option. Caliber anything 243/25-06 or 257R/6.5 CM/7-08 all work and will easily get it done while managing recoil. Check your supplies like others have said. See who has some used glass here, might be able to pick up something slightly used and stay in budget. With the current situation take your time and prices have got to start coming down.
How about a chipmunk 22lr.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
How did gopher make out? Anyone hear from him?
Originally Posted by jmdriver
How did gopher make out? Anyone hear from him?

I hear he made out like a bandit... whistle
Posted By: slumlord Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Centerfire might be hard on that embedded defibrillator.

As of the 9th he was still a O2 user.

And that fuggin asswipe worm called me a knuckle dragging mouth breather, my knuckles may drag, but no mouth breather, damn sure no BullShltting thief, what a vage!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by gunner500
And that fuggin asswipe worm called me a knuckle dragging mouth breather, my knuckles may drag, but no mouth breather, damn sure no BullShltting thief, what a vage!

Say what??

😱😱
Originally Posted by gunner500

Say what??

😱😱

Hell yeah Slum, dont think the little north central yankme like Southerners too much!
Originally Posted by DMc
Be different!

Curious. Could tell me a little more on you Remington pump> Looks like a nice rifle. Thanks
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

^^^^^
Big meanie...

She might sacrifice 2 or 3 nights of lifetime or hallmark channel and watch and discuss these with you.

LOL!!!
I think Slumlord is more of a "Black Rain" type.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by KC

In Colorado, you can legally hunt deer with a .243, but it has relatively low velocity and therefore short range. 30-30 falls into the same shorter range category. So, for smaller big game like deer and pronghorn, I prefer the faster calibers like 25-06, 6mm, 7mm, .270, etc. 6.5mm Creedmoor seems to be the latest designer caliber, but I have no experience with it.

We’ve always been able to get very accurate rifles if we were willing to pay the price. But for many of us those custom rifles and high-end production firearms were out of our budget range. However, modern computerized manufacturing methods have enabled manufacturers to make extremely accurate firearms at an affordable price. So now any new rifle that I buy is one that is guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box. The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 and Thompson Center's Venture and Compass are rifles that are guaranteed by the manufacturer to shoot MOA out of the box and they can be found on the retail market for about $500. They're not pretty but they are accurate, reliable and durable enough to last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

Don't forget that your optics are as important as the rifle and caliber. It’s my opinion that the Leupold VX-3 is probably the best value scope on the market. You can spend a lot more on a scope but you can't get a better scope at any price. You can spend less but you will get less.

you can get 4000fps out of the 243 with the right bullet
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Nope.....

You???
LOL!!!

Yea

lol

Oh well

^^^^^
Big meanie...

LOL!!!
I think Slumlord is more of a "Black Rain" type.

More like a cheese grater on the forearm with isopropyl alcohol dumped on for "sympathy" afterward type.

LOL!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
99’s are pretty damn lightweight
Posted By: nugget Re: Help chosing a deer rifle - 03/13/21
Model 7 in 7mm-08 all the gun you need for deer
Go and sin no more

Should be your sig line........... grin
Can't keep up with you jokers in chats like this. Light CF rifle good out to a couple hundred yards? T/C Contender Carbine with about 20-22" of barrel, plastic stock and chambered for the .30-30. 5 pounds and a little bit, MOA is no big deal.
donated of course.
© 24hourcampfire