Home
Posted By: papalondog Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Bought a Dewalt electric chain saw for the wife awhile back. 40V battery operated. Pretty impressed until it locked up tight. Probably around 2 hours run time or less. It is under warranty but the repair center is closed to the public because of COVID. Won’t answer the phone. One place that works on them says he has been waiting almost a year for parts. I used to like Dewalt but will be buying a different brand from now on. Any suggestions?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Milwaukee
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Cheap chinese crap!

Harbor Freight
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Musta' thrown an armature....
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Even though I am a big Dewalt guy I do think Milwaukee builds a better tool. It would cost me thousands to switch over now. Good luck, Dave
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Dewalt is good for some things but not necessarily all things. They are great for battery operated hand tools. I have had no issue with any tools using 20v lithiums and I have built up quite a collection. I think my most useful and favorite is their tire inflator. I have used it for truck tires, lawn mower tires, trailer tires, atv tires, and yard cart tires. I have a greenworks 80v chainsaw and a 40v pole saw. Want to get rid of the 40v pole saw and go 80v with it also just so their batteries are interchangeable. I have not had any issues with either other trying to keep the chains sharp enough. If I could find a battery chainsaw as powerful as a gas, I would never use another gas chainsaw again. Just pop the battery in and pull the trigger.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Cheap chinese crap!

Harbor Freight

I bought and use one for a summer. I painted it orange after loosing it for awhile after putting it down.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by papalondog
Bought a Dewalt electric chain saw for the wife awhile back. 40V battery operated. Pretty impressed until it locked up tight. Probably around 2 hours run time or less. It is under warranty but the repair center is closed to the public because of COVID. Won’t answer the phone. One place that works on them says he has been waiting almost a year for parts. I used to like Dewalt but will be buying a different brand from now on. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with a Dewalt weedeater so I went and bought a new one, put the broken one in the box and returned it because it was used. I’ll play their game and I’ll win!
Posted By: jnyork Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Stihl
Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Milwaukee

Yep...Fuel series
Posted By: hanco Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
I buy dewalt, but lots of guys at work have Milwaukee. They claim Milwaukee is better.
Posted By: Ogdonia Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
I have had good luck with Stihl chainsaws
Posted By: akasparky Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Milwaukee

+1
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
hellloooooo Milwaukee !
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Can you take it back?
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Don’t let the fact the box they come in says made in China deter any of you.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Just went through this with a dewalt miter saw.

Fugg it. Bazterds cannot support their products so I did what AcesNeights did. Why should I be the one suffering if they aren’t able to support their own warranties.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Customer service is at a very low point right now. I'm cautious of where and what I buy even more now than ever. Sometimes good used stuff is better than new too!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Is the chain free?
Posted By: crc1514 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
I have both Dewalt and Milwaukee 18v tools. We get along ok with the dewalt, but I prefer the Milwaukee. Have an m18 brushless 1/2” impact that is strong enough to change tractor tires with. It’ll do everything our 3/4” air gun will do. We have a dewalt 60v chainsaw that seems to work pretty great.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
And when you buy Milwaukee tools you can get an adapter to use their batteries on your other brands of tools
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Is nothing sacred?
I have a DeWalt circular saw, and a DeWalt cordless drill. Have had 'em both for years and used both extensively. Love these tools.

Mein Gott is nothing sacred?
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
My brother used to work at a tool company. He said dewalt got returned more than the other brands.
In the oilfield we use Milwaukee. They hold up to rough use.
Posted By: seppli Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Get a Stihl.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
I've used Milwaukee on the job and used it hard, never a problem. For home use I have been using Ryobi Lithium battery 3/8" drill and Ryobi circular saw am very impressed with the quality and performance of both.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Bar and chain removed. Full of oil. Anti klckback not tripped. Sprocket won’t turn. I have always had Stihl gas saws and love them.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I had the same problem with a Dewalt weedeater so I went and bought a new one, put the broken one in the box and returned it because it was used. I’ll play their game and I’ll win!

LOL. That's awesome! grin
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Milwaukee Fuel !
Tough as truck stop steak !
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/13/21
Milwaukee everything here also. Just bought a 4 pack of new batteries from triple batteries for 152 shipped. Will need the long lasting power next month when we start tapping trees again.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21

Echo 58V. They come with a .043 gauge chain. It seemed to come off too easy. I put a .050 gauge chain on it and "run it in". The .050 gauge chain fit into the bar but it was tight,....smoked a bit for a few seconds when I ran it the first time, but after that it worked good.

I've ran the pudding out of mine and it just keeps going.

Here's a package, saw, battery, charger, for about $340. You can cut a *long* time on one charge and it only takes about 40 minutes to charge it up again.

It's a good tool once you put a .050 gauge chain on it.

https://www.rcpw.com/equipment/echo-chainsaws/CCS-58V4AH.html

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21

Posted By: 1minute Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Stihl or Husky
Posted By: achadwick Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21

Really? You black list the whole brand after only one bad experience? That does not make any sense.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I have a bunch of DeWalt battery operated tools, including a blower and weedeater and they've been great. That being said, I managed one of the largest foundation repair companies in the country and can say that Milwaukee makes great tools. They took an incredible beating on a daily basis and stood up very well. Hilti are also good but I'd say Milwaukee would be my first pick.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Electric chainsaws are only good for cutting windows and doorways.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21

Yeah. Don’t buy an electric chainsaw.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I have a Dewalt impact wrench, one of the better models. It's a beast and I mean that in a good way.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I have a Dewalt impact wrench, one of the better models. It's a beast and I mean that in a good way.

Exactly. I love every yellow tool I own. But I’m also not disillusioned enough to think buying a chainsaw or lawnmower from them is a good idea.
Posted By: Fiddy Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I have a close coworker who was a manager at fastenal for years. He oversaw all tool returns. #1 for returns is Milwaukee. He owns nothing but Dewalt. I have no skin in this game. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Me personally, I'd lend a lot of heft to what Project Farm says.
Posted By: tzone Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Dewalt has sucked for years. I still have a sheet rock drill but it's corded and it's was bought when Dewalt built things with right.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Black & Decker was the champ at one time. Now they a mega-international company without any product, not needed!
Posted By: killerv Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
My buddy has been using a 60v craftsman chainsaw for about 5 years now, that thing is impressive. Only issue is there is no oiling adjustment, that we can find anyway so he has to put a paper plate under it when storing.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I have beat the ever loving hell out of some of my cheap Ryobi 18V stuff and have had no issues at all. The same can be said for their 4 cycle powerhead and attachments. This stuff has a great over the counter warranty at HD.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I took the plunge into battery operated lawn tools last summer: lawnmower, weed wacker, and hedge trimmer. Felt kind of foolish, to be honest. After researching, went with Stihl. After several months If using them, I’d never go back to gas for my needs. If I were still up north and running wood heat all winter I’d probably stick with a gas saw....I don’t know, but if I thought I’d get by okay with a battery saw, I’d probably go with Stihl.
Posted By: Fiddy Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have beat the ever loving hell out of some of my cheap Ryobi 18V stuff and have had no issues at all. The same can be said for their 4 cycle powerhead and attachments. This stuff has a great over the counter warranty at HD.

Lol same here. I won't claim it's a product thats up there with the pricier brands but through work it comes too cheaply for me to not stick with it, my hands are tied. For all my home needs it performs really well.

That said, I know firsthand that abusing their standard drill will rip the handle off of the housing after about 1 year... I did that twice before switching to the hammer drill which has held up for 2 years now and is still going strong.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

LOL. That's awesome! grin

I know a small contractor that keeps all the boxes just for this use.
I thought he was abusing some ethical value I had until I came home with a 3/8 impact that lasted about 20 days with maybe a whole minute of run time.
I think I'll give up and buy the cheaper china chit at Horror freight. I've returned stuff there before, hit and miss, I think it depends on who is manager that day.
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
Milwaukee

Yep...Fuel series

+10

I have the circ saw, drills, sawzall, etc, all have been flawless.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21

Like I said. Echo 58V
Posted By: Dre Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/14/21
I gave up on dewalt years ago.
Ridgid stuff due to life time warranty.
My newer sawzall was acting up. Dropped it off and After 3 months of waiting I went in and talked to the manager. He pulled one off the shelf and sold it to me for 1 cent so I can register/warranty it.
Milwaukee would be also a solid choice.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Don’t let the fact the box they come in says made in China deter any of you.

In case you hadn't noticed - damn near everything is made in China, anymore!
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by Dre
My newer sawzall was acting up. Dropped it off and After 3 months of waiting I went in and talked to the manager. He pulled one off the shelf and sold it to me for 1 cent so I can register/warranty it.

I was told by someone that the batteries in rigid are also lifetime warranty, don't know how true that is and haven't looked it up.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/17/21
Back in 2016 I got a Stihl electric chainsaw based on oral recommendations. It's been great although it's only for occasional use. Got several DeWalt things like a blower, a string trimmer, and a hand held spotlight; all on the same 20V system and with a couple extra batteries I've been happy. Don't know about DeWalt chainsaws but I like my Stihl so much I would stick with Stihl if I had to get another electric chainsaw.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/17/21
Echo
Posted By: Dre Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Originally Posted by Dre

I was told by someone that the batteries in rigid are also lifetime warranty, don't know how true that is and haven't looked it up.

Yes batteries are also life time
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
Rigid is schit product compared to Dewalt.

Book it.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I buy dewalt, but lots of guys at work have Milwaukee. They claim Milwaukee is better.

ditto

40 years ago every old lumberyard had a big old Dewalt cut off saw.
A corporation bought the company to get the name.
Posted By: tzone Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
Dewalt has been junk for years
Posted By: RAS Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
I switched everything to Milwaukee. I learned that you go all in or none at all.

So far so good.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
We've had a Poulan electric for about ten years that always works. I think it cost under $50. I believe Poulan is owned by Husquavarna.. Granted it's only used a couple of times a year, usually for some kind of light duty stuff but it always works.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21
Craftsman
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 01/31/21

A lot of Milwaukee tools are made in China.
Posted By: Dre Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Craftsman

Junk!
Posted By: vapodog Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
Milwaukee
+1
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ldholton Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
Phucing hellos so many dont fo [bleep] bitching about thing dont work
Posted By: kingston Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
I thought this was going to be a thread about radial arm saws.
Posted By: Western_Juniper Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
All the battery tools are a rip-off. For serious work, get a cord or gas-powered motor or a compressor and air-tools. Even for small jobs around the house, I bought an old-fashioned brace and an egg-beater drill. The brace will out-torque any electric drill that you can hold (save for impact tools, I have an air impact when I need 350 ft lbs or something). The brace doesn't have a battery that won't charge after a few years, and never needs recharging. The little eggbeater is great for small jobs like pilot holes for woodscrews.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
All the battery tools are a rip-off. For serious work, get a cord or gas-powered motor or a compressor and air-tools. Even for small jobs around the house, I bought an old-fashioned brace and an egg-beater drill. The brace will out-torque any electric drill that you can hold (save for impact tools, I have an air impact when I need 350 ft lbs or something). The brace doesn't have a battery that won't charge after a few years, and never needs recharging. The little eggbeater is great for small jobs like pilot holes for woodscrews.
lmao perfect example of my first post
Posted By: rem141r Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
i've had mixed results with dewalt. 1/2" hammer drill broke the chuck the first time i really used it for hammer drilling. by then it was out of warranty. i won a 20v cordless kit with impact, drill and circular saw and they have been good so far with homeowner use. the 2.0ah batteries do not last long when using impact but recharge quick. the 8ah are a lot better. when i was buying power tools as presents for my boys, i bought milwaukee. all have been great. if i am spending money, it will be on milwaukee.

those impacts with the t25 bits are awesome btw if you haven't used them. i will never buy phillips head screws again.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Goodbye Dewalt - 02/01/21
Originally Posted by tzone
Dewalt has been junk for years

Heresy! Pure heresy!!!!
© 24hourcampfire