Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag Findings at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Been going through the house at my Great Grandpas.

Finding all kinds of goodies that have accumulated since 1922 and some stuff that was his fathers or his grandfathers.

Glad I got to know my Great Grandpa as he didn't pass until I was 19, we tend to live into our 90's. My grandpa just passed a month ago at 95 years 3 months and a day. Tough old booger he was.

Anyway, here are a few of the findings and I will update w more as I find more. Still have a basement to go through as well as a 40x40 garage my great grandpa built in the late 20s/early 30s. And the bottom level of a barn built in the 30s.

Old Rittenhouse Potts compass to start the show.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Marbles Ideal, 5" blade

One of great grandpas chauffeurs license badges, I have found 3 of these so far. He ran a truck in the 20s, 30s and 40s before he started farming full time.
Just 1 of great grandpas trucks.

We foumd a note from '41 I believe ststing how he had driven 1 million 200 thousand miles without an accident.

Mom said there are some framed certificates somewhere from his insurance company that shwo 1 million miles without an accident.

Imagine 1+ million miles in the 20s, 30s and '40s in those old rides.

I also found old insurance premium slips from the 40s for a cabover International, $15 a year insurance premium.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free image hosting site
Posted By: GRF Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Old cabover.
The makings of a great thread. Thanks for bringing us along.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Very interesting.
Old voltage tester for my 2x great grandpas Stevens Duryea.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Pretty neat.
Good stuff!
Great pics and story.
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Here's the old Stevens Duryea.

Posted By: 22250rem Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Fascinating stuff here. Thanks for posting. I have a few things from my grandparents & their siblings but most of it isn't as cool as what you're finding.
CompassšŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Thatā€™s great stuff. Very cool.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Fascinating stuff here. Thanks for posting. I have a few things from my grandparents & their siblings but most of it isn't as cool as what you're finding.

Anything from family is cool, especially older stuff.

A bunch of old tools here and at my grandpas house.

Amazing how you can feel the difference in quality from todays stuff. Just hold it in your hand and feel the difference.
Navajo Joe!
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Marbles Ideal, 5" blade

I had one of those. I broke the blade somehow and Dad reground the blade to 3 1/2 inches.

A lot of neat stuff you're finding.
cool
Posted By: jmh3 Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Great stuff.
As a pretty nostalgic guy, I find all of these items from yesteryear to be very cool.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
excellent thread. always great to see pics of days long gone. thanks for posting op.
Tagged a cool thread.
Yes, cool.
Little game. Found a couple of these, need to find what I did w others.

That...is cool...
Very cool..
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/15/21
Very nice. Interesting items.

I have family memorabilia from many generations. One is my Great Grandad's 1894 Win SRC .25-35
Tag says "Old tire tool"
Couple old railroad nails.

For you old timers!!
Wow! Very cool. I like the Marbles Ideal knife.

Too cool. Major collector value there.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
The fact they took the time to label most everything makes it lot more interesting for sure!
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

lolol You wouldn't believe how much of that ammo I shot as a kid in the late '70s. Stuff my Grandpa had lying around.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Xclnt!
Posted By: DaveR Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Couple old railroad nails.

All of this stuff you are finding, I hope makes it to being on display in your gun room! Very nice finds. Will make for some great conversation and rememberence pieces.
Posted By: byron Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Love seeing the old stuff. Wish I had been able to get some of my grandpas things when he passed. That would be treasure to me to never be sold, but passed on to my son.
Posted By: PSE Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21

The meter in the photo is an ammeter not a voltmeter. If you put it across a set of battery terminals or household A.C. receptacle with no resistance in the circuit, you'll peg the [bleep] out of it and burn it up.

The max it can handle at full scale looks to be only 30 amps. I'd hate to see you ruin it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You wouldn't believe how much of that ammo I shot as a kid in the late '70s. Stuff my Grandpa had lying around.

Should have saved them carefully.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Excellent thread.

Thank you.
I've got a Gladstone Marbles Ideal (circa 1939 blade) like your granddad's, too. Mine's stag on stag.
[Linked Image]

The USAF survival knife, made by Camillus, is based on the Marbles Ideal, by the way.

I've got one of those, as well.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by PSE

The meter in the photo is an ammeter not a voltmeter. If you put it across a set of battery terminals or household A.C. receptacle with no resistance in the circuit, you'll peg the [bleep] out of it and burn it up.

The max it can handle at full scale looks to be only 30 amps. I'd hate to see you ruin it.

Needs a new wire. Wouldn't use it even if it had a good wire.
Posted By: blanket Re: Findings at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

lolol You wouldn't believe how much of that ammo I shot as a kid in the late '70s. Stuff my Grandpa had lying around.

Yes I would me too
Originally Posted by byron
Love seeing the old stuff. Wish I had been able to get some of my grandpas things when he passed. That would be treasure to me to never be sold, but passed on to my son.

Luckily most of this stuff is my great grandpas, 2x great grandpas and the surveyors compass was my 3x great grandpas.

We are a small family now as my grandfather was an only child and my great grandpa outlived his brothers.
Winter project.

Battery first to make sure it pops off then clutch for sure as well as coolant, oil change and probably redo all brake lines/linings and maybe swith to a dual reservoir master cylinder.
Cool finds
10gauge,

Those are some very NICE things! Thank you for sharing them with us.

I made some discoveries about my family this past summer. Most of it creeps the Hell out of me.

It gets pretty involved but it most of it revolves around my great uncles and murder, dismemberment and the first electric chair in Virginia. Oh yeah, it also includes the marriage of a 78 y/o man to a 22 y/o girl.

Just your typical family album stuff.
That compass blows me away! Outstanding; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
We need more threads like this on the Campfire! Thank you for sharing some incredible family heirlooms. Would appreciate it if you or another member could educate me regarding the railroad nails?
Posted By: buffybr Re: Findings at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
My Great Great Grandparents on my Dad's side were early settlers to Colorado and Kansas. In fact the town of Bennett, just east of Denver was named after my G G Grandfather, Hiram, who later became the first Territorial representative to Congress from Colorado, and served two terms there in the 1860s.

When our parents passed, my Sister and I inherited a lot of stuff from 4 generations of our family. My family have always been interested in the history of the West and the Indians here. My Sister and I now have over 50 Indian blankets, dozens of Indian pots of all sizes, and numerous beaded items. Here are a couple of items that I kept and have on display in my house.

These moccasins were given to my G G Grandfather Hiram in 1859 by the Ute Indian Chief Ouray. Hiram knew Ouray and one time when Hiram and his wife were camped outside of Denver, Ouray visited them. They gave Ouray a tin of biscuits, and Ouray took off his moccasins and gave them to my G G Grandparents. I put them in a frame and it is one of the family heirlooms that I proudly display in my house.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another item that I proudly have displayed at home is this picture of Hiram and Kit Carson that was taken in 1868 when they were working on the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado. Kit Carson is sitting on the left and my G G Grandfather, Hiram, is sitting on the right. All four of the men signed the edge of the picture.
cool stuff buffybr. I get groceries in Bennett.....
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Findings at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
Sometimes it's odd what gets passed down and what doesn't. I didn't get much from either set of Grandparents, other than Grandpa's Uncle's Marlin 94 25-20. I did inherit from my mother who got it from her Aunt a meal grinder that was supposedly Geronimo's. The wife of one of the deputies in the group who took him captive near Lawton,Okla, gave it to Mom's Aunt after her husband died, along with an affidavit of it's authenticity. He took it from Geronimo's camp, but of course we don't know for sure it was Geronimo's. Still, a neat piece of history.
10Gauge!!!

Remember to give me a holler when you find that case of Thompsons! šŸ˜‰
I
Originally Posted by buffybr
My Great Great Grandparents on my Dad's side were early settlers to Colorado and Kansas. In fact the town of Bennett, just east of Denver was named after my G G Grandfather, Hiram, who later became the first Territorial representative to Congress from Colorado, and served two terms there in the 1860s.

When our parents passed, my Sister and I inherited a lot of stuff from 4 generations of our family. My family have always been interested in the history of the West and the Indians here. My Sister and I now have over 50 Indian blankets, dozens of Indian pots of all sizes, and numerous beaded items. Here are a couple of items that I kept and have on display in my house.

These moccasins were given to my G G Grandfather Hiram in 1859 by the Ute Indian Chief Ouray. Hiram knew Ouray and one time when Hiram and his wife were camped outside of Denver, Ouray visited them. They gave Ouray a tin of biscuits, and Ouray took off his moccasins and gave them to my G G Grandparents. I put them in a frame and it is one of the family heirlooms that I proudly display in my house.

Another item that I proudly have displayed at home is this picture of Hiram and Kit Carson that was taken in 1868 when they were working on the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado. Kit Carson is sitting on the left and my G G Grandfather, Hiram, is sitting on the right. All four of the men signed the edge of the picture.

Damn!! Now that is awesome buffybr! Wasn't that the last photo taken of Carson before his death?
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/16/21
This thread is fascinating. If this web site had one of those "LIKE" buttons I would hit it.
Originally Posted by USMC2602
We need more threads like this on the Campfire! Thank you for sharing some incredible family heirlooms. Would appreciate it if you or another member could educate me regarding the railroad nails?

They have the year on the head. Used to date when a cross tie was put in. A bud if mine who is now in the great hunting grounds up yonder had a whole collection. The rail cut through the place he was raised.

Rail here was installed in the 1880's. I am sure I will run onto more once I start cleaning in the shop.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/17/21
Great thread. Both of my grandmas passed last year and I acquired a bunch of ā€œjunkā€. I couldnā€™t believe what my parents and aunt and uncles were going to throw away
Originally Posted by win7stw
Great thread. Both of my grandmas passed last year and I acquired a bunch of ā€œjunkā€. I couldnā€™t believe what my parents and aunt and uncles were going to throw away

That is why I am going through this stuff.

Mom and Aunt not in health enough to handle some so I am tossing trash/junk for them to go through.

Cousin young enough he doesn't know what some of this is until I tell him.

I am glad I got to know all but 1 of 8 great grandparents.
Lots of cool stuff
Posted By: buffybr Re: Finding at Great Grandpas - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

... Wasn't that the last photo taken of Carson before his death?

Evidently it was. I Googled Kit Carson and it stated that Carson died in May of 1868.

There is a handwritten note on the back of the picture that says who is in the picture and that it was taken in by a photographer named Brady in Washington, DC in 1868.
© 24hourcampfire