Home
Posted By: JakeBlues Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I saved up for a few months for a new scuba diving computer. I ordered it off a web site that took Paypal. The same day the order was cancelled because it was no longer available. The reseller refunded my money in full. This is an expensive item, costing $1234. Paypal received the full refund from the merchant but then, I noticed they only credited my credit card $1121. I was like, "okay, where's my missing $113???"

I get on a chat with Paypal and after waiting 3 hours for a reply, it goes something like this... "I completely understand YOUR CONFUSION on this matter..." Umm, my confusion? No, there's no confusion, Paypal is skimming $113 off a cancelled transaction. She said it was a transaction fee. I asked, "you mean a transaction fee on the thing I never actually received and was never actually shipped?"

Haven't seen a reply. It's been another 3 hours now. One of my friends said they are no longer removing transaction fees for cancelled orders. So, think about this for a second. You can order something, never receive it. It wasn't lost in shipping, in fact, it never was even shipped to you. And you can lose hundreds of dollars, depending on the price of the item.

WTF can I do about this guys? Seriously, this is complete garbage, and they know it. So now, I have to waste hours or days of my personal time, arguing with a tech company, run by multimillionaires, over $113?
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Have you seen the new Egay policy? Something is definitely fishy. They are no longer allow payments to go to PayPal and want your SSN and want a linked bank account. As a 20 year member im feeling uneasy about all this
Posted By: BangPop Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
You eventually pay them with your card. Take it up with your bank. Those bastards are thieves of the highest order. Why anyone would put money in the pocket of those companies that are anti gun and opposed to conservative Americans right to free speech is beyond me. Is this news to anyone that these companies are the enemy?
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
PayPal from a Google search - If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

So the seller would need to refund the fee, but may have deducted from the refund to you. Did you see if the seller refunded the total amount paid back to you? Or did they short the refund?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
The credit card company almost always comes down on the side of the customer, in my experience.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I saved up for a few months for a new scuba diving computer. I ordered it off a web site that took Paypal. The same day the order was cancelled because it was no longer available. The reseller refunded my money in full. This is an expensive item, costing $1234. Paypal received the full refund from the merchant but then, I noticed they only credited my credit card $1121. I was like, "okay, where's my missing $113???"

I get on a chat with Paypal and after waiting 3 hours for a reply, it goes something like this... "I completely understand YOUR CONFUSION on this matter..." Umm, my confusion? No, there's no confusion, Paypal is skimming $113 off a cancelled transaction. She said it was a transaction fee. I asked, "you mean a transaction fee on the thing I never actually received and was never actually shipped?"

Haven't seen a reply. It's been another 3 hours now. One of my friends said they are no longer removing transaction fees for cancelled orders. So, think about this for a second. You can order something, never receive it. It wasn't lost in shipping, in fact, it never was even shipped to you. And you can lose hundreds of dollars, depending on the price of the item.

WTF can I do about this guys? Seriously, this is complete garbage, and they know it. So now, I have to waste hours or days of my personal time, arguing with a tech company, run by multimillionaires, over $113?
Small claims court, and never use PayPal again. That's just stealing.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Only thing I let paypal have is my CC number, Any money that comes in through there is immediately transferred to my credit union. I only accept paypal when selling on Ebay.

Was this put on a credit card Jake? If so you can you can let the CC Company help fight them.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by MARCEL
Have you seen the new Egay policy? Something is definitely fishy. They are no longer allow payments to go to PayPal and want your SSN and want a linked bank account. As a 20 year member im feeling uneasy about all this

I just sold something on eBay, and was paid via PayPal. This was just last week.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
PayPal from a Google search - If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to issue the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you. The amount of the refunded payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.

So the seller would need to refund the fee, but may have deducted from the refund to you. Did you see if the seller refunded the total amount paid back to you? Or did they short the refund?

No, that's just it. I contacted the seller, he's a good guy with a good reputation imo. He refunded the full amount to my Paypal account. It was Paypal that skimmed the $113 and put that much less on my credit card account.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

Evidently this policy is not in effect for all ebayers. I have bought several items via paypal on ebay in the past few days.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
As Billy Klinton would say, "I feel your pain."

I was going to make a purchase, but was required to use PayPal. After reading the terms, I declined because I've even had problems with credit cards like this . Then you have to talk to some gal in the Philippines reading a script and basically telling you.
"Tuff luk sukka."
I wish I had a good answer.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

No, that's just it. I contacted the seller, he's a good guy with a good reputation imo. He refunded the full amount to my Paypal account. It was Paypal that skimmed the $113 and put that much less on my credit card account.

In other words, if you look at my Paypal transactions, you see a credit from the seller for the full amount. If you look at the amount Paypal put in my credit card account, it was $113 short.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Evidently this policy is not in effect for all ebayers. I have bought several items via paypal on ebay in the past few days.

I'm wondering about this because I have about 8 items on eBay right now that are setup for Paypal. But they have been posted for about 3 weeks now so I don't know if they are grandfathered in?
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Only thing I let paypal have is my CC number, Any money that comes in through there is immediately transferred to my credit union. I only accept paypal when selling on Ebay.

Was this put on a credit card Jake? If so you can you can let the CC Company help fight them.

Yeah, I think I am like you. I just use Paypal as a front end to my credit card really. I use Paypal, and they charge it to my card and vice versa. But in this case, the full amount was refunded to Paypal, but they skimmed off $113 before sending the remainder to the credit card account.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I won’t use PayPal. Either the seller accepts a different form of payment or I buy it elsewhere.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I won’t use PayPal. Either the seller accepts a different form of payment or I buy it elsewhere.

I get your opinion, but the merit to something like Paypal is that your credit card info is shielded from potentially 100s of online and brick and mortar merchants. And honestly, I've been suing Paypal for over a decade and never had an issue. I have no idea why they are trying to pull this stunt. Seriously, if they go through with this, I will make it my online mission to post the story on every forum and consumer advocacy site I can find and they will lose 1,000 times this $113. Which is still a rounding error for them, but a complete waste nonetheless.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

Yeah, I think I am like you. I just use Paypal as a front end to my credit card really. I use Paypal, and they charge it to my card and vice versa. But in this case, the full amount was refunded to Paypal, but they skimmed off $113 before sending the remainder to the credit card account.

Report that to your cc. I had a problem with PayPal double billing me and claiming I got two of something. The cc company chuckled and said, yeah we deal with this all the time. Cc co reversed the change. Screw you paypal. Also, NEVER leave a balance in your paypal account either. They can take it you have zero recourse.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
But in this case, the full amount was refunded to Paypal, but they skimmed off $113 before sending the remainder to the credit card account.

I'd get with the credit card company and let them handle it.

Good Luck.
But in this case, the full amount was refunded to Paypal, but they skimmed off $113 before sending the remainder to the credit card account.

I'd get with the credit card company and let them handle it.

Good Luck.

Sounds like the best plan.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I got rid of pay-pal 2 years ago because of their crap..
Originally Posted by Hubert
I got rid of pay-pal 2 years ago because of their crap..

After this and my active eBay auctions, I'm done. Even if they do credit me MY MONEY back, it'll only be because I was a pain in the ass they wanted to go away. Not because they won't continue to rip other people off. In all fairness, if this was an order that got shipped, I received it, didn't want it, and sent it back, I might not like it, but I could understand losing some of my money. But this was an order that was cancelled like an hour after it was placed and nothing even came off the shelf.
Posted By: readonly Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I think you're giving the seller too much credit for being a "good guy". First, paypal fees are less than 3%, but you're being with held over 9%...that's not paypal.

I accept payments through paypal and only once since this new policy have I issued a refund. The payment was for $2500. The money came in, paypal withheld $70+ and the rest went into my balance. When I refunded the $2500...the full $2500 came out of my balance and paypal kept the fee of $70+....so I paid the paypal fee to refund the money. If he accepted payment for an order he can't fulfill, then he should be the one paying the *less than* 3% fee.
Originally Posted by readonly
I think you're giving the seller too much credit for being a "good guy". First, paypal fees are less than 3%, but you're being with held over 9%...that's not paypal.

I accept payments through paypal and only once since this new policy have I issued a refund. The payment was for $2500. The money came in, paypal withheld $70+ and the rest went into my balance. When I refunded the $2500...the full $2500 came out of my balance and paypal kept the fee of $70+....so I paid the paypal fee to refund the money. If he accepted payment for an order he can't fulfill, then he should be the one paying the *less than* 3% fee.

I think you misread my post. The merchant credited the full balance to my Paypal account. I see the full credit in my inbox. when Paypal transferred money to my credit card, it was $113 short. What am I missing here?
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Wow, I have a paypal account and have never had any issues. If Fleabay isn't recognizing them any more (it's been a while since I've bought anything there) I may dump them. I don't have a credit card attached to them, only my bank account.

I do give monthly to St Judes thru paypal so I guess I'll need to figure out how to give to them without paypal. Paypal has been convenient but if they're going to play games like this I won't do business with them.
Posted By: readonly Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Paypal merchant accounts are set up so the seller always pays the paypal fee. So Paypal should always be refunding 100% to your card, because the merchant has already paid the fee.
And also, the numbers you gave show a paypal fee of 3x what paypal charges for a tranaction, which is less than 3%.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I do online transaction frequently and will not use Paypal at all. They are a huge ANTI 2A, hyper liberal outfit, and will screw you (as you just found out) in a heartbeat. They figure most will not go through the hassle of fighting with them, so they pocket the cash. At the worst they have to pay the money back. So out of every 100 people they rip off for 100 dollars, only 7 or 8 fight them and get their money back, the other 97% of the time they are ripping off the consumers.

No thanks.
Originally Posted by readonly
Paypal merchant accounts are set up so the seller always pays the paypal fee. So Paypal should always be refunding 100% to your card, because the merchant has already paid the fee.
And also, the numbers you gave show a paypal fee of 3x what paypal charges for a tranaction, which is less than 3%.

Not trying to argue over this but you still haven't really answered my question. How can I receive, in my Paypal transaction log, a full refund from the merchant. The full amount is in my Paypal inbox +$1234 refund from merchant. Then it wasn't until I got an email from the credit card company that I got a refund, that I see it is $113 less than that. No fees or documentation of any kind in my Paypal transaction list. None. To me, it seems that once that full +$1234 shows up in my Paypal account from the merchant, they are done. From that point on it's Paypal to the credit card company.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
A friend recently recommended Venmo - anyone use it?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

This, absolutely.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I do online transaction frequently and will not use Paypal at all. They are a huge ANTI 2A, hyper liberal outfit, and will screw you (as you just found out) in a heartbeat. They figure most will not go through the hassle of fighting with them, so they pocket the cash. At the worst they have to pay the money back. So out of every 100 people they rip off for 100 dollars, only 7 or 8 fight them and get their money back, the other 97% of the time they are ripping off the consumers.

No thanks.

There's so many scumbags and scumbag companies out there it's hard to keep track. I'm working on purging as many of these companies as I can from my life. Thanks for the info. Pretty soon, I'm going to be paying cash for everything I guess.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Just call your CC and open a fraud report with the fraud department, and they will research the transaction, and see you are do the full refund. It is a slam dunk case in your favor. Don’t waste anymore time with CommiePal.

There was never a legal contract between you and the buyer, being he represented an item for sale, where he was not able to fulfill his contractual obligation to you, thus they “have” to give you a full refund.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
A friend recently recommended Venmo - anyone use it?

Venmo is PayPal.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I have been taking payments through paypal for years. They sent a letter about the refunds, about 1 year ago. What it amounts to is that if the seller issues a refund to the buyer paypal no longer refunds their part of the transaction. They used to. So if I sell something and want the customer to get a 100% refund I have to add the paypal amount. I will lose money by doing so. The seller you dealt with knows this too.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

A buyer can pay with PayPal; but a seller no longer clears their money through their PayPal account. It is done via EBay Managed payments and direct deposit to sellers bank account
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Several years back, paypal threatened to shut down my account unless I sent them a check so they could link to my bank account. I sent them a check from Discover card. That seemed to please them. No way are they getting my bank account info.
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I have been taking payments through paypal for years. They sent a letter about the refunds, about 1 year ago. What it amounts to is that if the seller issues a refund to the buyer paypal no longer refunds their part of the transaction. They used to. So if I sell something and want the customer to get a 100% refund I have to add the paypal amount. I will lose money by doing so. The seller you dealt with knows this too.

As Readonly said, that still doesn't explain the 9% "transaction fee" they skimmed. As others have said, I'm calling the credit card company's fraud department tomorrow, Maybe if I'm enough of a pain in their ass, maybe they will just credit me to go away, and then I'll just cancel my friggin account.
Originally Posted by Cruiser1

A buyer can pay with PayPal; but a seller no longer clears their money through their PayPal account. It is done via EBay Managed payments and direct deposit to sellers bank account

So what do the buyer options look like now? What you're describing sounds like a strange transaction limbo.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

As Readonly said, that still doesn't explain the 9% "transaction fee" they skimmed. As others have said, I'm calling the credit card company's fraud department tomorrow, Maybe if I'm enough of a pain in their ass, maybe they will just credit me to go away, and then I'll just cancel my friggin account.

I hope you get your money back. They make it hard on purpose too, thinking most folks will just give up. They froze my account a couple of years ago because I refused to give them any more personal information. Fortunately I didn't have any money with them.

I hope you get your money back. They make it hard on purpose too, thinking most folks will just give up. They froze my account a couple of years ago because I refused to give them any more personal information. Fortunately I didn't have any money with them.

Well, I have an online chat going with them. It's not real time. But I asked a few questions and basically, they've ignored me for 7 hours now. So, yeah, the hope he caves plan is in effect. Just gonna call the credit card company tomorrow and have them try to annoy them some.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Peaceful protests are the answer.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Peaceful protests are the answer.

I'm a white, male, veteran, who voted Republican. I'm not allowed to peacefully protest. They call it something else.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

Did they maybe charge their transaction fee both ways? 4.5% on the purchase and 4.5% on the refund? No matter what it’s total bullshit and a way to rip the customer off.

Throughout the years as new technology or online service providers came along I usually waited (if possible) to evaluate whether I needed them or not, usually I didn’t. Finding an alternative was not usually a problem and often the only thing sacrificed was convenience and maybe a little time. I was used to doing it the old school way and since I hadn't switched to the easier way new school method I didn’t know what I was missing.....ignorance is bliss 😁
Posted By: pal Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
...The merchant credited the full balance to my Paypal account. I see the full credit in my inbox. when Paypal transferred money to my credit card, it was $113 short. What am I missing here?

What you are missing is the fact that sales tax is reported by them as a separate transaction. That is not a selling fee--it is sales tax.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
Originally Posted by pal
...The merchant credited the full balance to my Paypal account. I see the full credit in my inbox. when Paypal transferred money to my credit card, it was $113 short. What am I missing here?

What you are missing is the fact that sales tax is reported by them as a separate transaction. That is not a selling fee--it is sales tax.

????
Originally Posted by pal

You mean sales tax for the item I never got because the order was cancelled???
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
I bought something on ebay two days ago and paid with paypal. I see that my payment was refunded in full by the seller/ebay. Evidently he sold out before he could fill my order. It said only 2 left when I ordered.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21

I would think the seller is responsible for that fee.When you sell something with PayPal the seller pays the fee.
They got tired of me and we worked it out. Who knew that being a Karen would work 😁
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Paypal Ripoff - 01/19/21
They got tired of me and we worked it out. Who knew that being a Karen would work 😁

Glad it worked for you JB.

Your experience helps my decision making moving forward with PP and Egay. For the record, the message I got says the new policy will be implemented on 1-20-21. Im sure the day it starts is a coincidence 🙄.
© 24hourcampfire