Posted By: tikkanut Do you use a police scanner ? - 01/20/21

My bud has one in his garage...just today

listening to it........

high speed chase..UHP on I 70 EB

speeds reported to 140 mph in a Mercedes sedan

Spiked at MP 151......suspects later detained & taken to jail in Richfield Utah

Got one ? Maybe I should have one ?????
Posted By: Teal Re: Do you use a police scanner ? - 01/20/21
Got the app on my phone. Good fodder to help me sleep.

2021 starting ok, don't know anyone arrested. 2020, I averaged about 1 a week in Q1 on it.
No, our daughter does.
my boys are fireman so i keep the app on my phone to see what their calls are. sometimes i wonder if its a good idea or not.
Originally Posted by Teal

2021 starting ok, don't know anyone arrested. 2020, I averaged about 1 a week in Q1 on it.

Originally Posted by Teal

hmmmmmmm

phone app ?
Nope.

My ol lady texts me chit like I care.

I dont.

Her job technically makes her take on first responder stuff should bad things happen when shes around.

And shes had to help some folks off and on.

Good for her.

I dont need to hear about it.
After being paid to for 25 years, no. Immediate source of stress that I don't miss.
Nope. 12 hours a day of it is enough for me.
Maybe in Podunk your’s still works

All ours have been scrambled due heavy Jose and Groid monitoring. My old scanner is useless now

Some of the online feeds are interesting.
Back when cell phones were analog my father would catch interesting conversations on his scanner.
My handheld used to pick up cellphones in the 900 band

👍👍👍🤪😂
Scanner radio app. Can listen to feeds from across the country and around the world. Ham, police, air, marine, rail, etc. You can even set alerts so it notifies you if a certain number of listeners log on (presumably because of something happening). It is reliant on internet but you get to listen to stuff across the world from the best scanner technology.
Being a volunteer firefighter/first responder and on call 24/7, the last thing I want to do is monitor a scanner. I do have the sheriff's office, all the fire depts. in the parish, and the ground/air ambulance services on my radio, but I keep it off until I need it.
Not since the age of scrambling.
There is a website that you can listen to almost any public radio traffic. The name escapes me but someone here will remember.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
There is a website that you can listen to almost any public radio traffic. The name escapes me but someone here will remember.

I think it’s called The Internet

lol

Below... Takes a couple minutes to find your location. Given that the service is free, you have to listen to a 15-30 second co0mmercial each time you start it up...

https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/30058
Nope. I have four radios at work. I don't want to use them when I have to.
I use the app on the phone, throw in the headphones and listen to it when I'm watching a baseball game, hear some great stuff out of Chitcago.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I think it’s called The Internet

lol

Thats it! Can’t believe I forgot.
Used to work with a guy north of you Tikka who decided he had to have one in his bedroom and on at night to listen to the chatter just in case he MIGHT be needed in the hospital for an emergency surgery. It was on every night, all night.

I told him he was crazy! That's what I wore a beeper for so I could be called in IF NEEDED. I figured that was a big enough sacrifice but what my commitment to my job and the people in the area deserved. Now I just rely on my cell phone as coverage is so much better throughout the area I frequent when on call.

He was a type A kind of guy and wound tighter than a new spool of fishing line. He would really get worked up at all of the goings on at night in Carbon/Emery Counties and we would hear about it all day! Sadly, he would let those things get to him and he let let it distract him in the care of a couple of his patients ...it came back to bite him, rightfully so given the circumstances.

There are some who obviously need a scanner on in their homes but not most. To the latter who see it as "entertainment", get a life! In your case, you get much more bang for you buck in your truck or UTV out and about enjoying what you have at your disposal down there. JMHO.
Don't need one....
Nope. They issued me my own radio.
Was a VFF for 25 years. Right after I got on we had a house fire in the middle of the night. I went screaming out of the house to the FD but forgot
my pager. I get home about 5 hours later and come into the living room and my pillow is in the middle of the floor. I thought rut row! This not good.
Picked up the pillow and my pager was under it. Wife got tired of listening to the chatter and couldn't figure out how to clear it.
My wife’s uncle had one. He’d listen to that thing during my shift hoping to get an inside ear on what was happening. Then he’d call a day later and want to talk about the crap he heard. Lol. I miss him
Never understood the fascination listening to other people's
problems.

If it involves me or mine, I'm already neck deep.
If it doesn't, I'm not intetested.

Just curious

My bud has one in his garage.........

He listens to it while drinking Busch beer from cans.......

He is a very talented welder/fabricator also.......

Just likes Busch beer------- cry
No. I don’t. Too much noise
Back when they were applicable , you could put it on scan and it would go through the entire frequency range .
The police frequencies not known to the average joe were pretty interesting at times .
Once we were in Tucson and killing time playing with the scanner .
It was some holiday , don’t remember which , but there was a helicopter patrol checking out a roof party . Then they started chattering about taking fire . Chatter went back and forth with dispatch and they pulled out and went elsewhere to patrol .
Yes I know it’s hard to believe , I was having trouble believing what I had just heard I can tell you .
But rest assured I ain’t one to tell B.S. stories .
Then picked up a police phone call , officer was patting down a skin head and I was blown away at the physical discription the officer was relaying to another officer . Guy was queer as a three dollar bill .
Kenneth
My wife had one she would turn on when the kids were teenagers. She would listen when they were out running around. I found it really irritating. There were many people back then that had one on all hours hoping to get some gossip.
© 24hourcampfire