Home
More and more every day. Lots of people caught with their panties down needing ammo and supplies.
I've noticed that. It's getting about time I started unloading some of my horde.
For the first time, I’m ok. I took note of the Obama scare and made myself buy various reloading components every now and then when I had the extra dough. I’m set to ride this out.
Another possibility is that they are spending stimulus money so are less concerned with the level of value.
I'm a little suspicious when the ad says WTB for my kid or veteran or whatever.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Want to buy for my kid who is a veteran and lost his Dad, wants to learn how to shoot.
Or their buying to resell.

YES..............I totally agree.
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Or their buying to resell.

Good point. Buy here at honest price, sell elsewhere for profit.
I stocked after Obumer, but it's time to let go of stuff, I sold 3 rifles this last week to buy a pistol iv always wanted, so I'll move the brass, bullets ect on here, Not selling any powder or primers.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
For the first time, I’m ok. I took note of the Obama scare and made myself buy various reloading components every now and then when I had the extra dough. I’m set to ride this out.

Me too, I can make it a good while, I feel for those who need things. I fear it’s gonna get worse.
Wouldn’t be so bad if those fat fuggers wasn’t scooping up everything on the shelf to resale.
I wasn't caught with my pants down on all the guns I own, went through my reloading stuff. I can load a couple thousand shotshells, a couple thousand rifle/pistol, even have casting molds and lead if needed.

I hadn't bought a different gun in a long time, I have enough even sold some 10 years ago... but... There was a 788 222 I decided I wanted and a 357 ruger blackhawk... now I need small rifle and small pistol primers, I didn't need them before, I have to admit I didn't know a 357 took different primers than my 45. I have powder that will work and found bullets, have a couple hundred factory rounds I plan to shoot and then reload the brass, found dies... No primers. I know enough guys I could beg a few hundred from when needed but I'd rather not deplete someone's stash if at all possible.

Now think of someone who is buying their first or a new gun and they aren't life long reloaders, what do they do for ammo, for a gun they never owned before.

How do you keep your pants up on that or have thought years ahead buying ammo for a gun you don't have.

I can see an issue coming soon on selling a used gun without ammo.

Kent
Best thing I ever did, other than stack it deep, was buy an electronic trainer. It cuts my ammo consumption by at least 70%
Its not hoarding putting some up for a rainy day, or when you make a purchase to buy enough to make shipping charges worth while! What's really outlandish, is people shooting more than they have and then thinking everyone else should go out of their way to supply them when the market is empty... and then also to complain about having to pay market prices and heaven forbid shipping too. Why should anyone be shamed for thinking ahead? Wasting ammo is beyond my means, and if I have a caliber that I no longer use for now, I might in the future, and putting something on the shelf has no cost. Having to repurchase again later does.

Phil
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've noticed that. It's getting about time I started unloading some of my horde.

I was in a house last week for work,

Couldn't but help to not notice his loading bench in the basement,

My guess is I was looking at 20 thousand primers, most boxes were fairly new,

Unfortunately his health will prevent him from ever using those up, His kids might reload , who knows.....

I really do wonder whats all stashed out there.
I am in the WTB category despite stocking up on components. Problem is my wife bought me a 308 Win for Christmas and I have never shot or loaded for that caliber. It has been hard getting components to shoot it and loaded ammo is seriously over priced right now. I have found brass and bullets and I have plenty of primers but what is killing me is getting powder. All the powder I have is too slow burning for the 308. Been loading 7mm Mag and 375 H&H for decades and can load for those for at least 5 years. But those powders are not usable in the smaller case.

So, in my case it isn't about getting caught unaware, I never had the need to buy anything or the 308 until now.

Veteran chit don’t fly with me.

Ernie the E-4 should’ve been buying ammo instead taking fat bitches out to eat and spending his disposable income on cheap vodka and a crotch rocket payment and Rent-a-Center leather sectional pimp couch.

Should be more in-tuned with the winds of change than Backhoe Joe and Bubba deer hunter.
Was wanting to experiment/ test some.new watwrfowl and turkey stuff ( gonna put an optic on my turkey gun ).

None of the new ammo around.
WTB or want for nothing? I used to reply to the want to buys.Almost always on guns and scopes it was some ridiculous low ball offer.I have plenty of reloading supplies I've sold some primers,bullets and loaded ammo to friends at whatever the current Midway price is.Anybody I don't know it will be whatever I can get.
Might use a box checking zero and have another for the hunt ( same lot #- deer hunting ).

Doesnt take much. But sometimes a bud or kid wants to shoot and an extra box or two for whatever could get burned.

If its reasonable price, even if ya don't need it. Buy it.

If that one shop has 35 rem Hornady still ill snag em.
Never shot my rifle at 200. Might be fun to burn a box or two seeing whats what.
I thought I was covered but apparently I can’t read anymore as I had the wrong grain bullets. Thankfully I found some here. I have some misc bullets and powder that I don’t care for that I should sell but part of me thinks I should hang onto it in case the SHTF
I got stuck in the WTB category for the first time this year. My dad gave my son his 410 that he got when he was 10. That’s the only 410 between either of us. He’d been looking for shells for months but couldn’t find any. Unbeknownst to me he was only looking for 3” for some reason. Either way I had a couple of great guys offer some to me and I’ll be forever thankful for them helping me out. My son is planning on practicing some today as a matter of fact.
See the WTB in the paper and local internet classifieds.

Instantly pissed me off.

WTB Winchesters, or Antique Guns!

No, you are hoping to legally steal them.

Have often thought about running an add offering to give
value estimates.

I have been consulted by several widows about guns, several
of which I really would have liked to buy. But not at their value.

So, I write down numbers, and recommend one of the local auctioneers
that do regular gun auctions.
If not for the extreme generosity of people here....I would be SOL sometimes.

The once fired 38 special brass I ordered from Grafs? Nope. They must have over sold.

Its one thing to be stocked up....its another to buy something new and need components.

Shouldn't be this way.
My problem is I am still buying rifles.

Had a few things for loading the 30-06 since I have had several but sold most of my bullets.

I have posted 2 wtb ads and on both ads some azzhat used my thread for their gain.

Seller would tell me to PM them that they had what I wanted and another clown would PM them and get the item.

I blocked both sellers and the 1 for sure guy that posted on my thread that he was sending the seller a PM.

Rough world out there.
Originally Posted by win7stw
I thought I was covered but apparently I can’t read anymore as I had the wrong grain bullets. Thankfully I found some here. I have some misc bullets and powder that I don’t care for that I should sell but part of me thinks I should hang onto it in case the SHTF

Been hanging onto stuff I have and buying a few weights/styles of bullets I don't normally use but will when the going gets really rough.
Until that 222 I didn't own a 22cal centerfire, the AR platform never interested me, still doesn't. I shoot to hunt, I reload and sight in to to hunt. I do admit to buying different hunting guns just to have something to work loads up and then take out on a hunt. But ultimately it was to hunt with and an AR 223 didn't fit the bill for me.

Now with grandkids and they like to plink the 22s, maybe they'd like an AR to blast with, But why buy one now if ammo is nonexistent for a decent price?

As a 'Boomer' shooting philosophy is different now than then. When I was a kid we would save and buy a 50 round box of 22s, there was no plinking you hunted, plinking was with a bb gun. We'd grab the 22 or shotgun and walk or drive the tractor to the citrus groves/maze fields... rabbits, quail, the occasional feral pheasant were all fair game, we didn't waste ammo practicing.

Now days if you go out in the desert on a weekend it's packed with shooters, car loads spread out for miles, families/groups whatever, blasting away for fun. It's all good, just different and an AR makes sense.

This ammo shortage is forcing people away from shooting and hindering the retention of new gun owners and shooters, a family activity, kids... there's an agenda here by someone.

For my own reasons I trimmed my guns down to 3006, 308, 3030, 708, 22, 12ga, .50 BP, 45acp... and now added 222, 357.

Even if I wanted to I wouldn't buy a 9mm, 40cal, 223, 38 whatever, not worth the ammo hassle.

The suppression of our freedoms isn't always obvious.

It's not a panty issue either.

Kent
Panty issue?

Nice!

I am now buying components for future projects.....like the 6mm Ackley.
I bought a 223 bolt action

So I’d have something to shoot up all my .223 ammo when they confiscate our ARs in a buy-back.

4-D chess prepping 😎
Originally Posted by slumlord

So I’d have something to shoot up all my .223 ammo when they confiscate our ARs in a buy-back.

4-D chess prepping 😎

They say I am not supposed to shoot this case of 556 through my 223 bolt guns.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord

4-D chess prepping 😎

They say I am not supposed to shoot this case of 556 through my 223 bolt guns.

They're high, Jim.
6.5/50 mammoth hammer... coming soon...

Kent
I figure you should have a rifle for every caliber that you might happen across. That way, when all the .223, .308, 9mm, etc is sold out, you are still good if you run across some, say, 25-35 ammo.
I have been helping out people who having been asking but the limit is being reached now.

Talked to a guy last week that thought he was going to go to store and buy 22 ammo.

I have been trading a lot. Good time to trade stuff you don’t need for stuff you might need later on.
Buying new guns is the hitch. I must have 75 cans of powder up there on the shelf, but of course I don't have "the one". Of course would love to find some RL26 to use in a 7STW. Thank God for Hanco, he saved me by sending me a couple hundred magnum primers. Other members here had brass and bullets I needed. Hadn't been in the magnum game for 30 years didn't realize I was out.

As for selling, I've made a conscious effort to go through my supplies and offer up anything not needed to fill someone else's void. Gotten rid of lots of stuff.
I am learning that, at least for the moment, my primers and .22 ammo have a market value of about $70,000.

Yikes!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, I've cleaned out the gun room since X-Mas. Lots of reloading stuff, (presses, dies, case trimmers, etc) Brass and bullets. Sold some here in the classifieds.

Stuff that did not sell here went to ebay. Sold for more than I paid new, years ago. A cheap Lee hand press that sells on Midway for $41, hammered on ebay for $122.
If a fella is just now getting worried enough to start stocking up he has totally missed the boat and deserves whatever he gets in the inflated price wars. A guy can afford to drop $200 on a thousand primers today, but he couldn't afford them at $35/1000 2 months ago? We've had several years of low(er) prices on ammo, primers, powder, etc... If you haven't been paying attention, well, that's on you.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Buying new guns is the hitch. I must have 75 cans of powder up there on the shelf, but of course I don't have "the one". Of course would love to find some RL26 to use in a 7STW. Thank God for Hanco, he saved me by sending me a couple hundred magnum primers. Other members here had brass and bullets I needed. Hadn't been in the magnum game for 30 years didn't realize I was out.

As for selling, I've made a conscious effort to go through my supplies and offer up anything not needed to fill someone else's void. Gotten rid of lots of stuff.

Let me know if you get in a bind for more Cowboy Roy.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Wouldn’t be so bad if those fat fuggers wasn’t scooping up everything on the shelf to resale.

Talked with a bud yesterday who runs the Sporting Goods section at a Super Walmart near me. Ex NRA pistol champ and sandbox veteran.

Told me he loudly called out an ahole at a gun show recently he caught reselling .22lr ammo the guy had bought from him for double what he bought it for.

Laughed my ass off.

Told me to get there between 8-8:30 or these dirtbags will have it all bought up.

PS- Said Walmart has no limit on ammo purchases. That's why these idiots can walk in and say "I'll take it all".
I don't have a problem with people buying stuff, then turning around and reselling it for a profit, as I've down that myself a lot of times. The problem I have is with the manufacturers and what they're doing with the products they're making............and most, if not all of them are still operating. They've not quit making ammo, or components.......yet there is practically none for sale, except at grossly inflated prices on places like Gunbroker. That stuff is not going on the store shelves, it's being rerouted directly to the auction sites.
Originally Posted by 19352012

Want to buy for my kid who is a veteran and lost his Dad, wants to learn how to shoot.

Hi Safariman!
Just picked up ten 100 round box of winchester 40gr I'm going to list on here to help out, dont need it and won't shoot it
I got "caught" with a new purchase. When I found 308 Mauser M12's going for $500 I bought one. I already had dies and 358 and 7-08 brass, if needed. l already shoot an '06 so plenty of bullets. Same with large rifle primers. When I received the rifle I was impressed enough to buy three more, one for each son, for coming Christmas. Two are handloaders so I threw a WTB ad here and have two sets of Redding dies coming from a helpful member. I found new brass online so 300 are on the way so all is good but I just lost the reality of ammo/component unavailability.
© 24hourcampfire