Home
Sure we have a few rifles and handguns, and we bought ammo when we found some, but the 17 hmr is way more funner innyways. Maybe we should sell a few bricks to pay the mortgage? $175 for a brick of Thunderbolts really make me wonder.
I'm as much of a whore as the next guy. I think I could give up shooting a 22 at todays prices.

LOL
I keep a 22 LR in my UTV that I run around the farm in. Shoot it more than I do any other gun I own. My 17 is a safe queen.
I’m going to hold onto mine. This guy puts them to good use. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That’s WAY cool.
I still love shooting my 22 rimfire. Thank goodness I have a lifetime supply of ammo for it.
I shoot a 22lr more than anything else. But at today's prices for ammo, I don't plink nearly as much as I use to.
I've got bricks of .22 here, there, and everywhere.

I'm not selling any of it.
TheKid, awesome picture !
I shoot them A LOT !!! Vudoo, 10/22 match grade barrel etc..
If I shoot 100 rounds each week I'll run out in 06/27.
If you're paying today's prices, you weren't paying attention.

With a 12 year old, it's what we're shooting the most.

I saw the salad days for what they were and stocked up a few years ago.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Me and my sons. Every Thursday
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sure we have a few rifles and handguns, and we bought ammo when we found some, but the 17 hmr is way more funner innyways. Maybe we should sell a few bricks to pay the mortgage? $175 for a brick of Thunderbolts really make me wonder.

Tempting. I've still got 17 500 round bricks of the stuff untouched from when I bought the 10,000 round case back in late 2019. That's a nice chunk of change I could get for it at those prices. I'll probably keep them, though, since that's mainly what I shoot nowadays, along with black powder front stuffers and cap and ball revolvers. I've still got two spam cans of 7.62×54mmR for my Polish Mosin Nagant rifle. Might start shooting that rifle, too.
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I still love shooting my 22 rimfire. Thank goodness I have a lifetime supply of ammo for it.

What are we talking? A hundred thousand rounds of it?
As I get older and more of a recoil wimp I enjoy shooting .22 rifles and pistols more and more.

Also, really appreciating the single shot Remington 510P these days. Even one 50 round box of ammo can make for a decent time at the range.
Originally Posted by antlers
That’s WAY cool.

Oh hell yeah.
Originally Posted by Utahunter

This.
I shoot mine quite a bit.
I am heading out tomorrow with my Anchutz and 541T. I'm also trying a couple of loads in my Henry 243 and recently acquired Mauser M12 308 Win. The latter two for an upcoming hog hunt.
Link to where a brick of .22 lr sol for $175. Just bought one for the ridiculous price of $28 .
What does a 22LR that a 17hmr doesn't do better? Cost per shot?
I'll be out there tomorrow. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Well ther is more rabbit/squirrel left with a solid hit. Cheaper and quieter. That said I hardly shoot my 22 rifles anymore with the exception of the occasional silhouette matches.
Yup still using several. Don’t need or want a 17 anything. Edk
Originally Posted by sqweeler
I'll be out there tomorrow. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Be sure and check the timing on those screws before heading out squeeler! LOL

Beautiful rifles.
Do you fart? Of course I still shoot 22’s. It is what people do! If I shot 100 rounds a day I’d probably would be low on ammo in 2050👍🏼😁
Maybe I should sell some and buy some property?
A .22 LR has worked just fine for me for many years. Still does. I do not have a .17.

L.W.

More accurate..
I shoot .22lr 20 times more than anything else
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m going to hold onto mine. This guy puts them to good use. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What kind of scope is that?
Originally Posted by Certifiable

More accurate..
I shoot .22lr 20 times more than anything else

I have owned some pretty good shooting 22 rifles and have yet to own one that can shoot groups as tight at 100 yards as a cheap Savage 9317.
I should shoot more but living in western Oregon there's not much call for a 22 LR. Living in the desert everything is game, but I don't get over east much.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I should shoot more but living in western Oregon there's not much call for a 22 LR. Living in the desert everything is game, but I don't get over east much.

Can’t you afford a Ruger American Rimfire? LOL

With That kind of money you could wander while you wonder...
I’ve got enough .22 to last me till I die. Ben can sell the rest after my funeral.
I love plinking, and I like hunting squirrels with it. I was never one for hoarding, but a few years ago, I had to go easy on my supplies.
I learned my lesson, and when things eased up, I bought enough to last.
Same with primers, powder, and Bullets.
Fool me once, shame on you....
7mm
Still shoot the 10-22 and the Winchester auto some.

This moment i am waiting for the weather to get stable some so i can go shoot the Winchester 1885 in 17 HM2 i got at the end of last year.

Ammo can still be found and last i bought was around 10 bucks.
Originally Posted by goalie
If you're paying today's prices, you weren't paying attention.

With a 12 year old, it's what we're shooting the most.

I saw the salad days for what they were and stocked up a few years ago.

Those standard velocity blue box shoot great.

The hot rod stingers and anything over 1400fps , open up groups

Yes indeed, I shoot the old long rifle 22.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I live in a shack and have an $8 driveway.
I don't target practice at all anymore and sure do miss it. I built a 500 yd range with a covered bench that sits 3 at the house and don't shoot anymore. I can see ammo being outlawed one of these days as hazardous materials. How many ammo companies can Bezos, Gates and the rest of the rich antigun liberals afford to buy. These Ahole's aren't scared ti put their money behind what they want.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I live in a shack and have an $8 driveway.

Sell your driveway

Most people, even here, don't know what rifle that is... grin
Converted my 455 .22lr to .22 mag.
Only one shooting 22lr now is the ol lady ( has a 1022 ).
The Kid,

The pic you posted just made my day! Thank you!!

Thats the Merica i know

I needed that!!
With the scarcity of ammo and components, it makes sense to shoot more rimfire.

I have more than enough hunting ammo to last.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Levermatic?

I never took the time to delve into the 17 offerings, i wish I would have though.

I have marlin 22WMR, it’s a lot of fun too, I made sure not neglect getting a box or two of ammo for it when In and out of LGS or big box stores.
The combination of a .22 pistol and a can make rimfires my primary shooting tools these days, other than when I'm hunting (then it's a 7-08). .22 LR is not that hard to find, even at decent prices, so I actually have more now than I had a year ago. I've basically stopped shooting the ARs , 9s and .40s, though, due to the shortages.
A 22 is fun, but I do like a 17hmr to for bunnies.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'm guessing a pre-64 Winchester model, but I don't know.

Shoot me a price via PM (i dont have you on Ignore)

lol

😃😃

👍
There is a park.
The land has value.
I have calculated that the interest on the money makes the average visitor cost $2,000.00/hour.

Everyone confronted with that calculation says the same thing. "Others benefit from knowing it is there."

I hope I am benefiting from knowing my 22 bricks are there. The interest on the money costs me almost a penny an hour.
Looks like a Marlin to me-----and a nice one. Mod. 57 Levermatic I think.
Ahhh the smell of a new T1-11 in the morning

😂😂

I just got a PM asking. LOL. It's a Marlin model 56. Tubular magazine was a model 57. Known as the "levermatic".

Fireballs, I’m just messin with ya man

I cant afford it

I still high as hell on Ketamine and propfol and now oxys

😎😃😂
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Looks like a Marlin to me-----and a nice one. Mod. 57 Levermatic I think.

Yes.

I had a 57M in .22 magnum.

So serial number on it. It was made before they were required.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yeah, I've got a lot of subsonic as well, which seems to shoot great.

The standard velocity is subsonic through <4" barrel, so it's awesome with the 22/45 and can, but man it's accurate outta the Ruger American

I just got a PM asking. LOL. It's a Marlin model 56. Tubular magazine was a model 57. Known as the "levermatic".

What year was it discontinued? They sure made nice guns back then.
The smell of fresh backwards laid septic field lines when you accidentally dig them up during your double wide renovation 😂😂😆😆
I haven't shot my HMR in years, but I shoot my .22LRs nearly every week.
Back when I was going Pdoggin every couple of years, I shot the HMR quite a bit, but there's just not that much call for it here in Kentucky.
I have one single shot .22 RF. Shoot it now and then, but don’t have much ammo. Sold everything else a few weeks back. Not terribly accurate, but if I get within 20’ it’s great for squill.

Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Back when I was going Pdoggin every couple of years, I shot the HMR quite a bit, but there's just not that much call for it here in Kentucky.

I'm curious what you shoot with a 22LR that you don't shoot with your 17?
I squirrel hunt with a 22lr. And shoot a varmint or two with one. I think head shooting squirrels with a 22 is some of the best practice for hunting with a rifle. Especially gray squirrels that are nervous and dont stop often. I don't shoot cans often. Shells are too precious right now. But I have a lifetime of practicing shooting for fun.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have one single shot .22 RF. Shoot it now and then, but don’t have much ammo. Sold everything else a few weeks back. Not terribly accurate, but if I get within 20’ it’s great for squill.

You strike me as a guy that's low on guns and ammo. LOL
i should get a 10/22, never shoot the browing semi
My 5 year old likes to shoot every weekend I’m not working. We have ammo on shelves here at reasonable prices still. I’ll keep buying as long as he likes to go shooting with me.
There's a model 57 buried in one of the safes too, but it's never even been sighted in.

The standard velocity is subsonic through <4" barrel, so it's awesome with the 22/45 and can, but man it's accurate outta the Ruger American

goalie;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and those who matter in your life are well.

I'd like to thank you and TheKid for photos which both made me smile and gave me hope for the next shift.

In my estimation that's the charm of a .22 in that it teaches shooters of any age or experience level good shooting habits - or better said can do so if plain old fun isn't the goal.

We had a couple real serious dry spells up on this side of the medicine line for reloading components and rimfire ammunition too, so some of us older guys did as best we could to address the situation in a timely manner.

As to the OP's question, well I'd have to say I'm a lifetime .22 enthusiast so the short answer would be that indeed I still shoot several .22's.

This was the last range day.

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, thanks again for sharing the family outings with my favorite round and all the best to you and yours.

Dwayne
or a henry
Originally Posted by BC30cal

goalie;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and those who matter in your life are well.

I'd like to thank you and TheKid for photos which both made me smile and gave me hope for the next shift.

In my estimation that's the charm of a .22 in that it teaches shooters of any age or experience level good shooting habits - or better said can do so if plain old fun isn't the goal.

We had a couple real serious dry spells up on this side of the medicine line for reloading components and rimfire ammunition too, so some of us older guys did as best we could to address the situation in a timely manner.

As to the OP's question, well I'd have to say I'm a lifetime .22 enthusiast so the short answer would be that indeed I still shoot several .22's.

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, thanks again for sharing the family outings with my favorite round and all the best to you and yours.

Dwayne

wow
I do, in fact, I have the worlds most beautiful Marlin 22 lever! cool don't know what happened, but I hit the walnut lottery with that one, have had it and a Winchester 94-22 for more than 30 years now.
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by BC30cal

goalie;

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

wow

Yeah, wow!!
Originally Posted by gunner500
I do, in fact, I have the worlds most beautiful Marlin 22 lever! cool don't know what happened, but I hit the walnut lottery with that one, have had it and a Winchester 94-22 for more than 30 years now.

Gunner which model do you have? I'm guessing 39 variant since they were more prevalent? Do you play with the 17 at all?
I have two 22 rifles, and a Colt woodsmen match Target, my wife has a Browning Buck Mark 22 we enjoy shooting our 22s.
I'd pay good money for a nice 10/22 deluxe. Always been an itch, but I have to ask myself why at this point.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I squirrel hunt with a 22lr. And shoot a varmint or two with one. I think head shooting squirrels with a 22 is some of the best practice for hunting with a rifle. Especially gray squirrels that are nervous and dont stop often. I don't shoot cans often. Shells are too precious right now. But I have a lifetime of practicing shooting for fun.

Funny and spot-on observation. The grays can be very sporting out where I go here in Tn. They act like theyre on meth, hyper animated, head on a swivel LOL

Whereas our fox squirrels. Jeeze!! It’s like murder. They pose and stare at you for 30 seconds. Mouth breathin retards.
I didn't find much use for a 17HMR here in NY either. I bought one when they first came out and sold it a couple years later. It was good for crows and that's about it. .22LR lots cheaper for target/plinking and better for tree squirrels, grouse and rabbits. Bigger varmints handled better with .22 Mag. or 223. I don't ever plan on owning another 17 HMR.
Originally Posted by keystoneben

That is a Millet red dot Ben. Boy was having trouble deciding which eye to use and couldn’t really make the peep sight work. A member here made us a deal we couldn’t refuse on the dot sight to try out. Instant success, took him one trip to the farm to figure out that you paste the dot on the target and squeeze. He loves shooting steel plates and does pretty good out to 35-40 yards as long as he has a rest. We’re working on his first squirrel, no idea why but he’s become obsessed with wanting to squirrel hunt. We have plenty of tree rats so I’m happy to oblige. Saw 6 in an hour of sitting on Saturday but he couldn’t quite close the deal, we’ll be out for another attempt soon.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner which model do you have? I'm guessing 39 variant since they were more prevalent? Do you play with the 17 at all?

Yessir, Original Golden 39M, no Sir on the 17's.

Suppressed sub sonic is a special kind of kewl.

LRRF is so ........ yesterday!

have a Henry Silver Eagle

look for it in the ads

clean one owner & maybe 100 rds out w/box

A lot of my total gun collection are 22's.

I can't say that I shoot them any more than I did. But I certainly don't shoot them any less.
My life out here remains largely unchanged. I'm fortunate in that respect.
DAN is THE MAN grin

Best Pic of 2021 so far.
I am not selling my Thunderbolts.

They work well in my Winchester 1906.

I like swords and spears.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Outstanding !!

And you all did good on bunnies too!!

😎😎👍

Are those jackrabbits? They look too big to be cottontails. Damn, that's a nice pile. Where I hunt bunnies, it's tough to swing a gun. Woods from hell.

Shootin' the .22? Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 100+ rds an outing, if the range isn't snowed in.

I have enough to last a few years.

I like the off-hand matches on Rimfire Central, too.

grin grin grin

The .22 short you've posted about in the SS forum isn't terribly accurate, eh?
I got enough ammo to last awhile! smile

I use to, but I lost my firearms and ammo in a boating accident.....it was terrible.
KID that pic of your little man made me smile. this country needs more dads like you !!
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Undoubtedly!
We need more on this.

Originally Posted by Muffin

Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Are those jackrabbits? They look too big to be cottontails. Damn, that's a nice pile. Where I hunt bunnies, it's tough to swing a gun. Woods from hell.

Shootin' the .22? Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 100+ rds an outing, if the range isn't snowed in.

Those are all cottontails, if you look at the rocks behind us they come out and sun themselves on the rocks and we just drive around and head shoot them. One of my grandsons favorite past times.
We need more on this.

Maybe the trailblazer will chime in.......................

Outstanding !!

😎😎👍

Thanks
Every range trip.. Learned from the last go round. Good for a bit this time around.

That is a Millet red dot Ben. Boy was having trouble deciding which eye to use and couldn’t really make the peep sight work. A member here made us a deal we couldn’t refuse on the dot sight to try out. Instant success, took him one trip to the farm to figure out that you paste the dot on the target and squeeze. He loves shooting steel plates and does pretty good out to 35-40 yards as long as he has a rest. We’re working on his first squirrel, no idea why but he’s become obsessed with wanting to squirrel hunt. We have plenty of tree rats so I’m happy to oblige. Saw 6 in an hour of sitting on Saturday but he couldn’t quite close the deal, we’ll be out for another attempt soon.

Thanks, sounds like he's been putting it to use.

I bought my son a rascal for christmas. Hes been shooting pretty good with the factory sights, but was thinking about getting some sort of optic for it. Didnt really know what would work the best
I’ve never had a 17 anything, but there’s been a damned large pile of 22 shells spent around here.
Grandson was he11 on critters with his 22 cricket. He did a lot of plinking with it.
Nephew got the rim fire bug a couple years ago , went from a mossberg to 452 super , then a model 12 , then a 37 , then a Suhl and nice 541T
Lol , gave him several hundred rounds of red and black box Eley .
Some dated back to 2006 , some good lots in there . I think he was shooting IR 50/50 targets and got some 248’s and 249’s with no wind flags .
Off season I practice 100 yds off hand , sitting , and prone to keep sharp for field shooting .
As I get older I need the practice that’s for sure .
Kenneth

The .22 short you've posted about in the SS forum isn't terribly accurate, eh?

Sold it. I hunt pigs with a gaff these days. It’s a lot more exciting.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Indeed!
Nice toy JM!
I would love to find one of the internally suppressed ones. That was the mark II? Issued to seals only?
[Linked Image]
We need more on this.

Put on your readin' glasses and grab a coffee.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14251051/1
The 22 long rifle round is the cheapest round that will do the/most jobs.
There are very few days that I don't pull at least one trigger on a .22....
Especially when you reload them. Less than .04/round.

Thanks, sounds like he's been putting it to use.

I bought my son a rascal for christmas. Hes been shooting pretty good with the factory sights, but was thinking about getting some sort of optic for it. Didnt really know what would work the best

PM me, I'll send you the same Millet red dot for your son's rifle. 😉

Edit: it looks the same at least, and it's used but works. My son needed something on a riser now, so its sitting on the shelf.
Especially when you reload them. Less than .04/round.

loaded some a few days ago .7grain of red Dot smile is that really 10,000 rounds per pound, not accounting for a little spillage?????
I shoot my rimfires more than anything else.

Originally Posted by 12344mag

Best Pic of 2021 so far.

Absolutely! Great photo.
I use a 22lr quite often. But damn I like a 22 mag
Don't own anything other than a 22. That other stuff isn't needed and is more expensive.

22 LR is CHEAP to shoot.
Absolutely I still shoot the LR.

Have all kinds of guns, have had some exotics. The 22 LR is as enjoyable to me as any. Bolts, semi-auto rifles or pistols, single action revolvers, double action.

I have 27,000 rounds on the shelf & I've fugged up. That number should be double. Then I could shoot some every day & maybe, just maybe not worry about running out for a while.

I stocked up on 22LR years ago , do shoot a little and hunt squirrels with it.
Haven't shot one in a while, but that's only because I kilt off most of the red squirrels. If I see another, I'll be shooting 22LR again. 🙂
I’d rather shoot 22LR than anything, the further the better and I haven’t gone far enough.....

Waiting until I can trade a brick of Blazers for a T1x.

Outstanding !!

😎😎👍

Thanks

i hope the easter bunny makes it to the egg hunt
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’d rather shoot 22LR than anything, the further the better and I haven’t gone far enough.....

You’ll love it. my T1X is slightly less accurate than my chesechutz 1407R. Ordered a Bravo for it.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Those are all cottontails, if you look at the rocks behind us they come out and sun themselves on the rocks and we just drive around and head shoot them. One of my grandsons favorite past times.

Used to do that in the hills around Superior Wyoming, had a dog that would go get them and jump back in the truck then drop the bunny in a five gallon bucket for us. We wore him out some days. Been gone 15 years and I still miss Max.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You’ll love it. my T1X is slightly less accurate than my chesechutz 1407R. Ordered a Bravo for it.

That looks pretty slick...
Who doesn't ?
I love shooting 22s....I still do. At 66 I've started shooting 22 a lot more because my 4Gkids are just learning to shoot. I bought 2 of the older chipmunk rifles and have one set up for open sights and the other with a 3/4" baby redfield 4x. Kids love shooting those. My 1 grand-daughter is left handed so I just bought a left handed Savage rascal.

Other than those Ive got
3 semi auto pistols 2colt/ 1 Ruger
1 bolt action tube mag Savage (got it in 8th grade)
1 bolt action ruger 77/22
2 Win model 62a, (one was my moms that my dad bought her in 48, she just turned 90 and went out shooting with all of us a couple months ago, still a pretty good shot)
1 Win Model 94/22
In my area during this last ammo shortage 17's were still on the shelves long after the .22's were gone. Now they are all gone.
Today I shot my Cooper 57M and my Turbo/Shilen/Pippen/Jewell Custom BR sporter. Yesterday, I shot my Remington 541THB, my Ruger 10/22 with Feddersen 18" barrel and my '66 Browning T-Bolt. So - - - -yeah, I still shoot .22 LR. This winter's projects all have been about my .22 LR rifles. Getting an old Springfield 87A working, putting a correct receiver sight on my first .22 and buying the Belgian Browning T-Bolt that I've always wanted.

For 15 years I shot .22 rimfire benchrest and have about a 1 1/2 cases of Eley and Lapua match ammo. Some of it is real good stuff that I had when I stopped competing and some of it is ammo that didn't quite make the grade and got put aside for informal shooting - - which is all I'm interested in doing now. Though I will say this, the Cooper still has IT.
Our private range finally came around and added a "precision 22 range" with benches and either paper targets or steel spinners. I've been shooting my tricked out 10-22 with CCI Velocitors and finding out just what it's capable of.

Dang!

You’re welcome to borrow mine if you want to test drive one.
I first stocked up on 22 ammo probably over 20 years ago, and add to it on a regular basis.
I more recently stocked up on ammo for my 1903 Winchester semi auto, it is a fun gun to shoot, but pricey and hard ammo to find.
Grew up with a 22 and have a few now, but never enough.

You’re welcome to borrow mine if you want to test drive one.

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day was acceptable and you and yours are well tonight.

I'll add another couple votes for the T1X - mine is the shorty 16" barrel and a buddy was so impressed with how it shoots he got a 20". He showed me a few groups and it'll dance too.

Anyways, for what it's worth there's two votes from north of the medicine line for the Tikka.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

I have the KRG bravo on my T1x- I suspect you’ll like it as i have found it to be very comfortable to get behind..... also slightly less accurate than the 1407R
Sweet. Cant wait to get my hands on it.
Up until about 3 weeks ago, the 22 was the lowest of costs to exercise. Not sure of that now, but thankfully I stocked up about 6 months before Obama was elected.

I can shoot a .22 LR rifle all day long with no ear plugs. I don't and never have owned a .17 HMR, and have no plans to simply due to them being MUCH louder and me wanting ear plugs whenever I shoot one, rifle or pistol.

I also just bought a .22 LR Single Six from a guy here on the 'Fire as a trap gun. Mind you it has the mag cylinder, but with regular .22 LR and especially in snow I don't need earplugs to be comfortable shooting it. Some .22 LR pistols are LOUD, but that Single Six isn't. The Single Six .17 is as bad as anything else.

I am .22 LR fan, for that reason alone.

I just ordered a $3,000 .22LR bolt action firearm from Vudoo. I will probably spend that much on the scope for it. So yeah, the .22 is still popular.

I agree, that for ground squirrels, the .17HMR is superior.
V22S or repeater?

Still got the purple one you did for my daughter. We’re not in any hurry to stop shooting the various .22’s we have...
Originally Posted by robertham1
V22S or repeater?

Repeater.
never will i ever.......quit shooting my 22s. not a 17 fan. got enough to not think about running out.
Grandkids shooting .22’s

Are like peanut butter & jelly

Just meant for each other
I still do. Not at today's prices, though. I have enough to keep me happy for a while. Love 22's. The 17 is better for distance, I guess.
I don't shoot .22 hardly at all anymore. 17hmr is just a much funner round and a lot better shooter. I shoot the 20 grainers XTP. It's hell on smallish critters and an absolute tack driver. Pure fun.
With 5 little kids we shoot more 22lr than anything. Even at today’s prices it’s all perspective. I work with a guy who in to drag racing, he has a Pro Street 67 Camaro, he’s building a nova for his oldest, and has a junior dragster for his youngest.

They spend every weekend traveling somewhere to race. Have a diesel pusher motorhkme, with an enclosed trailer plus their another truck with the jr dragster. He said all in all last year they got 2500 in prize money. All in all my shooting hobbies are cheap.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Ordered that rifle yesterday in 22 wmr. I'm on the fence about it in 17 hmr or 22lr as well
Took a pair of riles to the range last week for an hour or so. One I hadn't shot in some time, the Win. M320. Had that since they came out, early 70s.

That thing still dotes on Mini Mags, just like it did back in the 70s..The American ain't that fussy, shoots damn near anything into less than an inch @ 50 and it also likes Mini Mags. Front rest, no rear bag, forgot it. That old leather bag has always been in the truck cab, don't even remember why I took it out? With the bag, M320 groups would've been a half inch, as usual.

Most funnest time I've had all winter, since deer season. Got plenty of ammo. Mini Mags, Standard Velocity, Auto Match, Valu Pack Feds, Wolf Match, Tac 22, old stock (1980s) Dynapoints and several other flavors.
Originally Posted by Rockhound

Ordered that rifle yesterday in 22 wmr. I'm on the fence about it in 17 hmr or 22lr as well

I have four Americans. A 17HM2 Predator, that is a disappointment in accuracy and function. A 17HMR Go Wild Camo that is very accurate, functions flawlessly and is buttery smooth. A 22LR laminated Target that is too fussy for a target rifle. I need to switch scopes on it. It's behavior is just too odd. You are looking at a Predator 22 magnum. It's pleasantly accurate with several loads. On my first range trip it didn't like extracting Aguilla brass. I cleaned it thoroughly and have only had one more extraction issue, and I can't remember what it was.

So my Americans run the gamut from simply awesome to sorely disappointing. That pretty much sums up Ruger quality these days.
when the wife and I go out back to shoot, I always take a couple of 22's. She's as bad as a little kid in the fact that she can shoot em empty faster then I can get em reloaded for her.
Now then, who does NOT shoot the long rifle round!
Well, I used to shoot a long rifle.

22LR is fun and challenging to shoot. I wish I had a few more bricks of it though.
I've had some very nice .22 rifles over the years,..Brownings, CZs, ect. Now I've got a Marlin 795 with a plastic stock and a Weaver V3 scope. It's very basic, but it it has one hole accuracy and feeds perfectly with about anything you run through it.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've had some very nice .22 rifles over the years,..Brownings, CZs, ect. Now I've got a Marlin 795 with a plastic stock and a Weaver V3 scope. It's very basic, but it it has one hole accuracy and feeds perfectly with about anything you run through it.
A friend of mine was asking for recommendations for a gun. I told him that a lot depended on what was available right now, because much isn't. I told him he could do a lot worse than a Marlin 795, which I also have. The main thing a 10-22 has on it is availability of accessories and parts. Other than clones of the 10-22, the 795 is probably the second-best as far as accessories go. Before the craziness hit, the 795 was probably close to only being half price of a 10-22. A Marlin model 60 is never a bad choice either.

I'm curious what you shoot with a 22LR that you don't shoot with your 17?

The .22 is a lot quieter in the squirrel woods, and they are good on rabbits, squirrels and raccoons, too. Quieter can be good.
To an outdoorsman, shooting a .22 is like breathing. Gotta do it.
Originally Posted by Rockhound

I have it in LR and it's my main pest blaster. I like it a lot.
Quieter can be good.

yeah.....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I hunt a lot with a 22WRM. Many times the MAG has proven to be too powerful. The 22LR seems like the perfect compromise.
I too stocked up some years ago on .22 ammo especially when I got a Henry 22 levergun...So fun to shoot and accurate also...

Jayco 👍
Originally Posted by MM879
I hunt a lot with a 22WRM. Many times the MAG has proven to be too powerful. The 22LR seems like the perfect compromise.

try out some cci velocitors in that 22lr

Charger pre-SBA3 brace with homemade form-1 can

His new favorite, the SP101 4" 8-shot
Well, I used to shoot a long rifle.

from my cold dead hands

Seriously?

I have two sealed cases (10k rounds) of T-Bolt I'd sell at that price.
In the last year or so, I have purchased a new 22lr Ruger SP 101 and a new Smith and Wesson Model 17. I have throughly enjoyed my pinking sessions with these revolvers and regret that I did not buy them years earlier. My 17 has the safety hole, but it is still one of the best out of the box performing firearms that I have purchased-it is definitely a shooter and a keeper...
When the webs were abuzz a few years ago with 17 HMR jabber, bought a $150 Savage, just to see what all the fuss was about. Synthetic, pencil barrel, horrible trigger. Put a 6x18x44 target scope on it and headed for the range. Pretty accurate at 100 yards, bipod and rear bag. No hassle putting five inside an inch at 100.

Ran five thru a guy's chrono at the range, all were a tad faster than the advertised data on the ammo pack.

Probably a fair ground squirrel round, sucked on woodchucks, sold it. Just too used to seeing red mist when killing woodchucks with the 22-250, most likely?
Originally Posted by Tarbe

Seriously?

I’ll give you $175 for 10k Thunder Bolts.
Originally Posted by logcutter
I too stocked up some years ago on .22 ammo especially when I got a Henry 22 levergun...So fun to shoot and accurate also...

Jayco 👍

My stocking up on .22 took a few different forms, or rather existed on three levels. Firstly, since the late 1970s, I liked to keep lots of .22 on hand, and would buy a couple of bricks whenever they went on sale locally. This tended to build up over the years, because I accumulated faster than I shot .22 rimfire. Secondly, after the Post-Sandy Hook shortage ended (I was situated okay for that shortage, but not as well as I would have liked had I anticipated it), I started accumulating .22 at a higher rate than I had been in the habit of doing previously, so I'd buy 500 round boxes here and there and stash them away. But as I saw prices really come down, and knowing that a presidential election was coming up, in late 2019 I purchased a 10,000 round case of Remington Thunderbolt to add to my existing stockpile of about 15,000, bringing my total stockpile of .22 rimfire up to about 25,000. If I chose to be frugal with this, and only shot a thousand rounds a year, it would last 25 years. If I wanted to splurge and shoot, say, 2,500 rounds a year (a little over 50 rounds a week), that's ten years of ammo stowed away.
Originally Posted by logcutter

Tempting. I've got most of a case of it. If it goes much higher in price, it would be hard to resist the urge to cash in.
I worked for 9 years at a factory. Every year for Christmas they would give us a $30 gift card to Walmart. The local Walmart was right down the road from the factory. Back then a brick of .22 ammo was about $10.

I'd stop by the Walmart on the way home and covert my gift card into 3 bricks of .22 ammo. It got to be a running joke with the guys I worked with. I'd tell them that .22 ammo was going to be the currency of the new millennia.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I worked for 9 years at a factory. Every year for Christmas they would give us a $30 gift card to Walmart. The local Walmart was right down the road from the factory. Back then a brick of .22 ammo was about $10.

I'd stop by the Walmart on the way home and covert my gift card into 3 bricks of .22 ammo. It got to be a running joke with the guys I worked with. I'd tell them that .22 ammo was going to be the currency of the new millennia.

How much did you ultimately accumulate?
© 24hourcampfire