Home
i like kipper snacks they are good but i like pickled pig feet too, what say ye to that any pickled pig feet lovers out there?
...used to eat them as Schweinsulze when I was a young man. It was delicious. Its been decades though.
Pickled pigs feet & waffles, it's what's for dinner!
Pigs have bacon on em’, and backstraps, and tenderloins, and shoulders, and ribs. I’ll stick with those off of a pig.

My grandpa used to eat them all the time, I’ve tried them then and as an adult but just never developed the craving for them.
Kippered snacks on the other hand are my thing.

Kotchanina here.
Gack!
Pickled pigs feet, lamb tongues, pork hocks, and of course eggs. What tavern didn't have a gallon jar of eack at the bat. All to be washed down with a cold draft. The dozen cherrystones on the half shell were not too bad either.
yes, especially in Menudo.
Eggs 🥚

Even Catfish having a rough time. LOL

Menudo is O.K., I understand Mexicans eat it for breakfast.
Love me some pigs trotters !!!

Smoked, pickled, slow cooked till gelatinous even.

Sweet breads, brains, kidneys, livers, tongue & all their derivatives !!
White guys to.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Menudo is O.K., I understand Mexicans eat it for breakfast.

used it as a hangover tonic several times
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Love me some pigs trotters !!!
Smoked, pickled, slow cooked till gelatinous even.
Sweet breads, brains, kidneys, livers, tongue & all their derivatives !!
damn
that's some funny [bleep] right there! got to have the wife go get me some!
No, I'm hungry dangit, just like sifting a bone pile with a fork on perch or brim, not going to gnaw on tendons and cartilage for a thimble full of meat.
the Vienna sausages are good too out hunting, i like to call em boy dinks in a can, my sister freaks when i say that! i told my nephew that if he didn't go to church his dink would end up in a can, my sister hates me!
Pickled pigs feet, turkey gizzards, eggs, and hot mama's - all standard bar food at the Cozy Tavern where I spent a few nights.

G23
Originally Posted by mooshoo
the Vienna sausages are good too out hunting, i like to call em boy dinks in a can, my sister freaks when i say that! i told my nephew that if he didn't go to church his dink would end up in a can, my sister hates me!

monkey dicks.
I do love me some pickled bologna. The feet I prefers well as hocks pressure capped with some potatoes and kraut.
nephew ain't been right since, i think he's worried about the Mormons chopping his dink off!
Had them regularly as a kid. Mom and I loved 'em. Looked hard for some a while back and found a jar at a Mexican supermarket but they weren't as good as my memory had them - or probably as the Germans made them versus Mexicans. Mom would have been World Champion Bone Picker if such a competition were held. She could pick and nibble meat from pigs' feet, turkey necks, and chicken backs like you've never seen. Left them darn near museum quality clean, she did.
Pig's feet and tripe soup with hot sauce. Perfect on a cold day.[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kolofardos

man that looks soooo! good!
Haven’t had them in years but we used to always have a jar around the house when I was a kid. Pickled eggs and pigtails, too.

Dated a Chinese chick once who made amazing pigs feet in a pressure cooker. Wasn’t much good in bed though, so she went down the road.
Haven't seen pickled pigs feet since the late 1950's- early 60's at the bar my dad used to stop at to see some of his buddies. Had a big jar of 'em up on the bar along with the pickled eggs jar. Was in there occasionally with dad and even asked him about pigs feet but he said he never tried them. That bar is still around and run by the same family but the pigs feet & pickled eggs are long gone. IIRC they were long gone when I got out of the service in 1971.
Salty or spicy little freebie snacks were once the norm at bars, beginning way back with the Free Lunch. It was a smart way to get people thirstier. Alas, these days (as the cliche goes) there is no such thing as a...
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Had them regularly as a kid. Mom and I loved 'em. Looked hard for some a while back and found a jar at a Mexican supermarket but they weren't as good as my memory had them - or probably as the Germans made them versus Mexicans. Mom would have been World Champion Bone Picker if such a competition were held. She could pick and nibble meat from pigs' feet, turkey necks, and chicken backs like you've never seen. Left them darn near museum quality clean, she did.

She chew her toenails naked?
I'll go for pickled eggs and a Red Hot but, that's it! I've got standards.

That looks extremely good.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Closer the bone the sweeter the meat as I always heard it. Hog backbone takes a lot of work to get yourself full, but the meat is outstanding. Chicken backbone the same. Sounds like your mom knew the best.
Loved them years ago.
Bought a jar about 6 months ago.

They were red!

And nasty as hell!
Nibbled on one out of a gallon asnd threw the rest in the garbage.

Red? WTH!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Loved them years ago.
Bought a jar about 6 months ago.

They were red!

And nasty as hell!
Nibbled on one out of a gallon asnd threw the rest in the garbage.

Red? WTH!

You got dem Commie pickled pigs feet !

I never cared for them myself.

Originally Posted by stxhunter

monkey dicks.

Every time I see or hear of Vienna sausage I am going to think of Monkey Dicks now.
Originally Posted by Scotty

I never cared for them myself.

monkey dicks.

Every time I see or hear of Vienna sausage I am going to think of Monkey Dicks now.

I hope thats a bad thing.
Originally Posted by slumlord

This cracks me up. It’s so vile and disgusting!
Back in 63/64 I used to cook them and tidbits when I worked for Wilson Packing house in Cedar Rapids Iowa,3-4 thousand pounds a night.
i like kipper snacks they are good but i like pickled pig feet too, what say ye to that any pickled pig feet lovers out there?

I wish there were some around that weren't rancid when they were processed. I've bought frozen and the brand with the slimy red broth and red food coloring. Both were bad when processed.
I used to get jars that tasted clean and fresh.
been a while but i remember splitting one of those with my old man in the bars when i was a kid. i got quite the education traveling around the little coal mine town bars with him in the 60's. pigs feet, pickled eggs, sardines, stewarts sandwiches, bar pizza's, parodi cigars and lots of cussing.
Originally Posted by slumlord

His reasons are my reasons. I've never been the least tempted to try them.
Pickled pork hocks have more meat.
I don’t know which would be worse between
Vienna sausages and the pigs feet.
Both make me nauseous just thinking about them.
I don't get it. Had one when I was a kid. It was just a pickle thing to gnaw on. Never got any meat off it. So I gave up.

yum
I just remembered that Slavyanka sent me on a quest for pigs feet before Ukrainian Orthodox Christmas. They use it to make Holodets, a jellied meat dish made with pigs feet, chicken legs, and stew beef. It’s considered a delicacy and is a must-have for Christmas Day.

The pigs feet and chicken legs are slow cooked so that the cartilage breaks down and makes the gelatine for the dish.

So, if you’ve eaten Jello, you’ve eaten beef and pigs feet. If you’ve ever used a packaged gravy mix, you’ve eaten beef and pigs feet.
damn
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I just remembered that Slavyanka sent me on a quest for pigs feet before Ukrainian Orthodox Christmas. They use it to make Holodets, a jellied meat dish made with pigs feet, chicken legs, and stew beef. It’s considered a delicacy and is a must-have for Christmas Day.

The pigs feet and chicken legs are slow cooked so that the cartilage breaks down and makes the gelatine for the dish.

So, if you’ve eaten Jello, you’ve eaten beef and pigs feet. If you’ve ever used a packaged gravy mix, you’ve eaten beef and pigs feet.

I lived and worked in Russia almost 4 years and holodtez was a fav of mine. Not a lot of pork up in Russia other than shashlik on the bbq. I miss New Years feasts
I don’t mind Holodets in small doses. It’s not a favourite.

You’ve probably had Shuba, too - “Herring under a blanket”. Salted herring layered into a cake of mashed potatoes, beets, onions and carrots.

You’ve probably had Shuba, too - “Herring under a blanket”. Salted herring layered into a cake of mashed potatoes, beets, onions and carrots.

oh yeh, many times and have made myself quite a bit, salat olivye ( your wife should know) is fav and make often and pelmeni, bliny with ikra ( salted fish eggs) , Napoleon tort, koreyskiy salat( spicy carrot salad), khachiy pouriy (Georgian cheese bread), mama liga ( Moldovan polenta) plov ( Uzbek rice, lamb dish) salat vinegret. (a pickled beet dish your wife should know), ukrayenski borsch.
Originally Posted by rem141r
been a while but i remember splitting one of those with my old man in the bars when i was a kid. i got quite the education traveling around the little coal mine town bars with him in the 60's. pigs feet, pickled eggs, sardines, stewarts sandwiches, bar pizza's, parodi cigars and lots of cussing.

You are bringing back memories.
Except it was my Pap, and the 70's.

Shuffle board, polka on the juke box, the endless towel in the pisser
that reeked. Paul Vogel ran the hotel in Mann's Choice the was
the main watering hole.
Originally Posted by ribka

oh yeh, many times and have made myself quite a bit, salat olivye ( your wife should know) is fav and make often and pelmeni, bliny with ikra ( salted fish eggs) , Napoleon tort, koreyskiy salat( spicy carrot salad), khachiy pouriy (Georgian cheese bread), mama liga ( Moldovan polenta) plov ( Uzbek rice, lamb dish) salat vinegret. (a pickled beet dish your wife should know), ukrayenski borsch.

All of those (except the beet dishes blush ) make my mouth water. Some similarity between Russian cuisine and that of northern Greece.
Originally Posted by ribka

All of those (except the beet dishes blush ) make my mouth water. Some similarity between Russian cuisine and that of northern Greece.

Yes, I know all of them. She has plans to make salat olivye this week. And she insists on baking her beets and carrots for most dishes, rather than boiling.

Kolofardos, it’s really a small world. The Caucasus region of the continent seems to take the best from so many other regions - the Middle East, Mongolia, the Stans, the Finns and the Mediterranean,

It also occurred to me recently that the American-style steel drum bbq is really just a Tandoor without the insulating factor of the clay brick. Which could be duplicated with a proper insulation blanket. I’m going to make that my next bbq project.

monkey dicks.

Rog, its "Affenpimmel" in German. Try that next time. They will think you refined and polite company.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by rem141r

You are bringing back memories.
Except it was my Pap, and the 70's.

Shuffle board, polka on the juke box, the endless towel in the pisser
that reeked. Paul Vogel ran the hotel in Mann's Choice the was
the main watering hole.

you remember the basement bar in the union hotel? not the yuppy one that they made it into a while back but the way it was in the 60/s/70's. my old man called it the Stag bar. they had those disgusting towel rolls and the giant urinal that was about 8 feet wide and all the way down to the floor. we'd take the willys for lumber up at everett hardwood and lumber and then hit the legion, juniata hotel, the surf room and the stag bar. if we were out the other way, we'd hit shortys up on sideling hill and the wildwood down in breezewood. i loved it because i got a pop in every joint. we'd then go back to camp and build stuff while he pounded stoneys all day. good times, good times.
© 24hourcampfire