Home
Posted By: MadMooner Olives - 02/10/21
While we are discussing canned and brined food stuffs.....

Olives, love ‘em. Wouldn’t eat them for most of my life. One day I decided to try them again and now I always keep a jar on hand.

Currently snacking on Tasso’s garlic and jalapeño double stuffed Halkidiki mammoth olives. Blue chz stuffed is up there too.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Olives - 02/10/21
I was weaned on gin soaked ones..
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Never was big on olives in gin.

Drop of bitters and a twist has always been my go to martini recipe.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Greek olives, the big ones or kalamatas.
Spanish jumbo green, w pit or pitted are good too.
I chuck a big one in cheek and grind on it when drinking a boring pilsner
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I was weaned on gin soaked ones..

Trader Joe's has some mondo sized olives stuffed with garlic. They make good dirty martinis.
Posted By: fester Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Jalapeño stuffed please
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Love olives. Have the same Tasso double stuffed right now.
Never without a few jars in the fridge and pantry.
Posted By: efw Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Originally Posted by fester
Jalapeño stuffed please

Yep or bleu cheese!!!!

BEST
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Olives - 02/10/21
Love 'em!
Posted By: EdM Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Of late I have been buying grilled green olives at the bulk condiment station. Basically a classic martini olive with a touch of smokiness.
Posted By: DBT Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Sun died olives in rosemary and other herbs...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Olives - 02/11/21
You can now get Pearls brand olives in snack packs "Olives To Go". Eight to 10 olives in a plastic cup, absolutely perfect for packing in a lunch or with a cocktail. Black, green, stuffed, kalamata...all kinds. Here's just one LINK We get them in the local supermarket.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I only like whole black olives.

Dont like any of the green ones or any black ones that are cooked or sliced.

Just right out of the can......love those.
Posted By: Cleburne Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I hated olives when I was a kid, since I am older I love them with my vittles and on a salad. Olives stuffed with jalapeños and garlic, that’s the good stuff.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Manzanillas for the win. Halved in a salad.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Loves me some olives, I does.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Black olives are hateful rotten tree turds.

The rest are delightful
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Any and all bring them.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Does anyone know? What does an olive taste like fresh from the tree? Are they edible in the raw form?
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Black olive are green ones processed in caustic soda. Ate lots of olives, all different types and flavors while living in Saudi and traveling the Middle East from 2010-2019. The green Tabasco ones sliced are one of my favorite pizza toppings.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You can now get Pearls brand olives in snack packs "Olives To Go". Eight to 10 olives in a plastic cup, absolutely perfect for packing in a lunch or with a cocktail. Black, green, stuffed, kalamata...all kinds. Here's just one LINK We get them in the local supermarket.

I bring those along when we are traveling.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Does anyone know? What does an olive taste like fresh from the tree? Are they edible in the raw form?

Bitter, tough, not edible.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Thank you Ed.
Posted By: deflave Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I love all forms of olives but it seems the fancy restaurants have a secret wholesaler set aside for martinis.

I think you could write a book about the GD things.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Only olives I've had are the pimento stuffed ones from the grocery store.

Always have a jar in the fridge. Love 'em.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Black olive are green ones processed in caustic soda. Ate lots of olives, all different types and flavors while living in Saudi and traveling the Middle East from 2010-2019. The green Tabasco ones sliced are one of my favorite pizza toppings.

Black olives can also be green ones that are allowed to ripen on the tree. And they are way better when picked ripe and cured "naturally" as opposed to the lye method. At least, I think the ones I have done that way are better than those canned ones from the store. It takes awhile, but like homemade applesauce and kraut., I'd rather eat home cured olives than commercial ones. But I no longer live near a ready supply.

That said, there's a big jar of Kalamata ones in the fridge and others in the pantry. And a big jug of oil from Costco handy at all times too.
Originally Posted by deflave
I love all forms of olives but it seems the fancy restaurants have a secret wholesaler set aside for martinis.

I think you could write a book about the GD things.

There are lots of martini books. wink
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Sam's Club sells some garlic/Jalepeno stuffed ones that last me a week or 2 cause I'm grabbing a few every time I open the fridge.

Love the plain old green olives cut up on pizza too.
Posted By: RDW Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I like black but Castelvetrano are my favorite, I need to buy whole instead of pitted to slow me down.
Don’t like them Spanish queens.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I’ve heard they are inedible, or nearly so, off the branch. Never seen or tried them that way.

I bartended at a martini bar years ago. Stuffed a few hundred pounds worth, at least.
Didn’t care for them then. Now I can sit down and wax half a jar.

The local grocers have olive bars with all kinds of olives available. While they are not all equal, I haven’t found a bad one yet.
Mooner, I can guarantee if you take one off the branch, especially green, and try to eat it, you will spit it our almost immediately. The ripe ones are slightly better, you may last a second or two.

I lived for years within a few blocks of "Olive Street" in our neighborhood and used to party in the olive grove there.
Posted By: ENorton Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Olives are great and the ones in the jar from the store are okay, but the best come in bulk sold in Italian, French or Greek markets. Have a friend back in Illinois that makes his own each year from fresh ones. Said they did it when he was a kid in Italy and they are the best.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Had my hand on a flat of black olives at Costco yesterday.

Then I got distracted by that lady cooking them little mini sausages in the middle of the aisle. Dammit!!!
Originally Posted by slumlord
Had my hand on a flat of black olives at Costco yesterday.

Then I got distracted by that lady cooking them little mini sausages in the middle of the aisle. Dammit!!!

Even better is when the gal has the bbq pork loin in the bag, all ready to eat, just pop it in the microwave oven. Right over there on aisle 6 in the frozen section.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Mooner, I can guarantee if you take one off the branch, especially green, and try to eat it, you will spit it our almost immediately. The ripe ones are slightly better, you may last a second or two.

I lived for years within a few blocks of "Olive Street" in our neighborhood and used to party in the olive grove there.

Geno,

When I started work at the Shell Martinez refinery I was assigned an inspector to work for me. He was a Greek raised in Sudan. The refinery property had loads of olive trees so annually we would pick and he would take them home, soak them in lye, etc. and return a couple jars to me. This in my early days of enjoying a dry martini.
Ed,

Had friends in SoCal that would do that, Later in life I lived in the Las Vegas area and there were feral olive trees around. I gathered some a couple of years. Did some salt curing, plain old water and brine. Never tried the lye thing though. And I was always glad to get ripe ones before they hit the ground.

I realized then I had missed out on all those free goodies while I was out drinking wine in the olive grove in HS.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Love all olives, always got some in the fridge.

Favourite: Really fresh Kalamatas or jumbo green, stuffed with blue cheese.

YMMV
Posted By: Redneck Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Nope - BLACK only...
Posted By: JGray Re: Olives - 02/11/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
Nope - BLACK only...

Same here - don't mind black, but green olives trigger an instant gag reflex and heaving for me. I discovered that while trying my first martini and I hadn't even tried to eat the damn olive... grin
Posted By: TheKid Re: Olives - 02/11/21
I can eat a pint of garlic or jalapeño stuffed queens anytime, a favorite for kicking back after work and having a cold beer. I like the purple ones too and black ones though they’re last on my list.

Mystery of the universe for me is why in the hell some people put black olives in chili?
Posted By: Windfall Re: Olives - 02/11/21
You guys are really missing it if you aren’t putting sliced green olives on your tossed salads. The wife and I agree on most of our pizza toppings, but her side needs to have black ones and mine always needs the green way more flavorful ones. It has always amazed me how those great tasting green ones could morph into those awful black tasting ones.
© 24hourcampfire