Home
Posted By: MarineHawk Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
A couple years ago, I was in the Park Bar in Fairplay, CO with my brother ordering a buffalo swiss burger. Modestly concerned that I was going to get shot or pistol-whipped for doing so in a place like that, I asked the waitress if they had any wine. She said sure, what kind? I said cabernet. She brought out a glass of it. It was better than I was expecting. I asked her what it was, and she told me Black Box. It was a transformational moment in my life.

I have experimented with others, and lately, I have been getting the Franzia Dark Red Blend. It’s a 5-liter box that stays fresh up to 6 weeks. That’s 6.7 bottles of wine for $18.00 at WM, or about $2.70 / bottle. That’s basically free wine – it’s cheaper than buying water. It’s darned good to me. Who knew?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
I haven't drank a box of wine in years , I'll have to check it out .

I drink some ''lesser expensive'' can't remember the name right now haven't had any in 3-4 weeks .

Gal say; you alcoholic , I say why-no ,, ->wine-O - that's a joke - you get it ? Why No -- see? wine-O --- OMG that's the funniest joke ever- so funny
Posted By: 16bore Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Apparently it’s a pretty good way to drink young wines.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21

Chillable Red here

$8-9 cheaper a box in Idaho

I blame mittens
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Love box wines. They never go bad unlike a bottle where you have to drink it all once opened. Black box is good. I also like Bota Box.
Posted By: ribka Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
A couple years ago, I was in the Park Bar in Fairplay, CO with my brother ordering a buffalo swiss burger. Modestly concerned that I was going to get shot or pistol-whipped for doing so in a place like that, I asked the waitress if they had any wine. She said sure, what kind? I said cabernet. She brought out a glass of it. It was better than I was expecting. I asked her what it was, and she told me Black Box. It was a transformational moment in my life.

I have experimented with others, and lately, I have been getting the Franzia Dark Red Blend. It’s a 5-liter box that stays fresh up to 6 weeks. That’s 6.7 bottles of wine for $18.00 at WM, or about $2.70 / bottle. That’s basically free wine – it’s cheaper than buying water. It’s darned good to me. Who knew?

elk camp wine

this stuff aint bad

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
That is all my wife drinks, Double Dog Dare from Total Wine. It goes for $13/box.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Love box wines. They never go bad unlike a bottle where you have to drink it all once opened. Black box is good. I also like Bota Box.

typical southern racist Biden supporter

What Racism Looks Like Inside a Napa Valley Tasting Room

https://vinepair.com/articles/racism-inside-a-napa-valley-tasting-room/
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
You guys have the Kirkland box Cabernet at your Costco’s?
If you see it grab some.. it’s very good
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by ribka

elk camp wine

this stuff aint bad

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's probably tied with me for the best with the Franzia Dark Red Blend, but the Franzia is about $2.7 / bottle, and the Bota is about $4 / bottle.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by Certifiable

not at Utah Costco's
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Box wine is great, travels via snowmachine better than bottles even though we’ve got some fancy lil wine bottle “vault” or container
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21

+1

Of the cheap boxed Cabs I rank them:

1. Kirkland
2. Peter Vella
3. Franzia

That's not a knock on Franzia either, it's a good cab!
Posted By: hanco Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Wifey and her friend drank a box of that cshit one night. They were both puking their guts out. If I even mention box wine, she starts dry heaving.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
My fondest memories of Paris, France is spending the afternoons in the wine bars with a plate of deli meats and 3/4 of a bottle standard wine. The cost of this bliss was about $14.00US. The standard wine quality in is bFrnaceetter that our very best wines.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
My fondest memories of Paris, France is spending the afternoons in the wine bars with a plate of deli meats and 3/4 of a bottle standard wine. The cost of this bliss was about $14.00US. The standard wine quality in France is better that our very best wines.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Wifey and her friend drank a box of that cshit one night. They were both puking their guts out. If I even mention box wine, she starts dry heaving.

I'm not saying that there aren't bad variants of boxed wine, but there are some good ones.

And, if two ladies drank a whole standard 3-liter box, that's two bottles of wine for each of them. Depending on their tolerances, they might have gotten in a little too deep with the volume, aside from the quality.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Was doing a carpet repair a couple of weeks ago in an unoccupied rental, when I was throwing the scraps in the trash can there was an unopen bottle of wine in there. I got it and took it home, I'm not much of a wine drinker but it was good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

( i know not boxed )
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: sse Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
i'm partial to the Almaden merlot
Posted By: JGray Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
This is good to know - I've had boxed wine before but have never bought it. I'm not a big wine drinker, but do like a glass or two of red with a good meal, and also before bed at night - really helps me sleep. I'm going to check this out next trip to Costco...
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21

Yes, Black Box and Franzia are both good values.
Constellation Brands started Black Box, and is associated with Franzia.
Constellation also owns Robert Mondavi wines, along with a number of other premium brands.

All good stuff.
Originally Posted by JGray
This is good to know - I've had boxed wine before but have never bought it. I'm not a big wine drinker, but do like a glass or two of red with a good meal, and also before bed at night - really helps me sleep. I'm going to check this out next trip to Costco...

Costco box is good stuff
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Here an interesting article I recently read called The Science Behind Your Cheap Wine. Article. Basically, just because it's relatively inexpensive doesn't mean it can't be good. Scientists can and do manipulate the flavor of just about all wines. The article also mentions that the biggest component of the cost of high end wine is the cost of the land on which the grapes are grown.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Chateau D'Cardboard - Even people who don't like it have tried it.
The universal plonk.........and marinade.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
Would try it but I don't buy wine.

Know nothing about the stuff other than I like cheap sweet stuff.
The fruity kinda thing.

If it's that pucker your face, nasty schdit, people drink while
lying about "This is great, I love it", I ain't touching it.

Few time I've bought it, it's sucked.
Gotta stick to the homemade stuff.

Redneck hillbilly, but gots most of my teefs, and enough sense
to use the vinegar schidt to clean copper.
Posted By: EdM Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/12/21
I'll have to see if Costco sells their wine here. Texas will not allow Costco to sell their hard liquor here.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Boxed wine is great stuff.

You can get boxed wine at Dollar General down here for $3.20 a box. All three flavors.

The fancy word like Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay seem to be misspelled.

Not sure if it's a typo or there are actually no grapes used in Dollar General wine.

Always pick up a few boxes before the weekend when Im buying out all of the watermelon flavored cigars.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Did Mathman get in a car wreck or something?

Maybe get his dong stuck in a knothole somewhere?
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

+1

1. Kirkland
2. Peter Vella
3. Franzia

I haven't seen the first two. I will have to look for them.

I almost never buy any wine other than Cabs. But I like the Franzia Dark Red Blend a bit better than the Franzia Cab. Have you tried it?

Dark Red Blend
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21

+1

1. Kirkland
2. Peter Vella
3. Franzia

I haven't seen the first two. I will have to look for them.

I almost never buy any wine other than Cabs. But I like the Franzia Dark Red Blend a bit better than the Franzia Cab. Have you tried it?

Dark Red Blend

Yes, and their Chillable Red and Merlot. I'm a occasional wine drinker and prefer a good Cab especially with steak or burger. Sometimes a Merlot too.

Have a good friend who belongs to a wine club and he's been pretty generous with some imported reds from France and Italy.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Drive by the Franzia plant regularly. Love that semi sweet fermented smell of grapes wafting through the air.

Not a box wine drinker but it can be refreshing on a hot summer day chilled.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Fûck the French.

Originally Posted by MM879
My fondest memories of Paris, France is spending the afternoons in the wine bars with a plate of deli meats and 3/4 of a bottle standard wine. The cost of this bliss was about $14.00US. The standard wine quality in France is better that our very best wines.
Posted By: Paddler Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut

not at Utah Costco's

Yeah, that sucks. I get mine in Portland on my way home from fishing out of La Push, or in Helena, on my way back from hunting in Alberta. Neither state has sales tax, so it's $13/box, which is four bottles. Good enough for me. Their Chardonnay is good, too, but is only available in magnum bottles. Having a bit now, watching MSNBC's coverage of Trump's second impeachment. Incredible!!
Posted By: Paddler Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by sse
i'm partial to the Almaden merlot

Didn't you see "Sideways"? "I ain't drinking no f*cking Merlot".
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by FishinHank

That is funny

kwg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
The Black Box is decent. Thanks for reminding me.

I just joined a wine club. 12 bottles run about $15 apiece, shipped. I’ve already started ordering what I want instead of their picks, but all of it has been better than the stuff the grocery stores sell. The nearest Total Wines is 45 minutes away.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
If Fireball was in a band , it’d be called BoXeD wInE!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21

Duck and somebody he owes money to !
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Where is our Brother, Birdwatcher ?

This is his bailiwick.

Come forth and report in.

Dark Red Blend

Yes, and their Chillable Red and Merlot. I'm a occasional wine drinker and prefer a good Cab especially with steak or burger. Sometimes a Merlot too.

Have a good friend who belongs to a wine club and he's been pretty generous with some imported reds from France and Italy.

I sampled both the Franzia Cab and their DRB again side-by-side last night, and, while the Cab is good, the DRB definitely is richer and heavier on flavor, which is what I like.

One cool thing about the boxed wine is that you can open up several at a time and, since they don't go bad for many weeks, you don't have to finish one bottle before switching around to others as desired.

For bottled wine, I always go for a Rodney Strong Cab if I can find it. I actually like their appx. $14 Cab better than their $30 Cab and, I think better than any other wine I can get at any price.

No white wine for me, unless there's literally nothing else to drink. My former firm started serving white wine only for a bit at their events and happy hours to spare all of the carpet stains. I told the managing partner just to get red carpet installed and move back to sanity.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Where is our Brother, Birdwatcher ?

This is his bailiwick.

Come forth and report in.

Motel 6

buying a hot shower

“date night” with a hot 17 18 year old.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21

Dark Red Blend

I sampled both the Franzia Cab and their DRB again side-by-side last night, and, while the Cab is good, the DRB definitely is richer and heavier on flavor, which is what I like.

One cool thing about the boxed wine is that you can open up several at a time and, since they don't go bad for many weeks, you don't have to finish one bottle before switching around to others as desired.

For bottled wine, I always go for a Rodney Strong Cab if I can find it. I actually like their appx. $14 Cab better than their $30 Cab and, I think better than any other wine I can get at any price.

No white wine for me, unless there's literally nothing else to drink. My former firm started serving white wine only for a bit at their events and happy hours to spare all of the carpet stains. I told the managing partner just to get red carpet installed and move back to sanity.

If you're paying $30.00 for a Cab, there's a good chance it's not ready to be opened yet, and needs to lay for a few years so the tannins can mellow and provide a better drinking experience.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Boxed Wine! - 02/13/21
Funny reading this sitting here in communist Pa.
The government owns all liquor stores and no one else
is allowed to compete. Wine falls under their control.

Beer, is sold by distributes and bars. In the last 10 years other
retailer have managed to get into the beer business.

An acquaintance owns a distributer.
He was recently running an ad announcing their new line
of

"Fermented Fruit Drinks"
"We aren't allowed to sell wine, but you will like
these fermented beverages in convient boxes."

And it's ok, as long as it's not wine!

🖕🖕🖕

Gotta love it!
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
If you're paying $30.00 for a Cab, there's a good chance it's not ready to be opened yet, and needs to lay for a few years so the tannins can mellow and provide a better drinking experience.

I looked up the proper timeframe on WineSpectator, and it was well past the beginning period.
© 24hourcampfire