Home
Posted By: ironbender Chick Corea - 02/12/21
He died.

#jimmyolsen
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Is he that anti-Catholic guy who published all those tracts.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Corea
Oh, I was thinking of Jack Chick, who died in 2016. Best known for publishing anti-Catholic tracts.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Meh

Never heard of him.

Least he got to be ded in Tampa during the Super Bowl.

Lucky bastid
He could tickle the ivories.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Like the man, the genre or not , he was a talented musician! Rest in Peace, Chick!
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
He could tickle the ivories.

Ha, I first read this and thought “tickle the ovaries?”
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
JAZZ music is the worst crap I've ever heard - rather have a 7 yr. old girl scream in my ear.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
JAZZ music is the worst crap I've ever heard - rather have a 7 yr. old girl scream in my ear.

That's my feeling on it, too.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Most jazz music is an irritant to me, but when they slow it down and start mixing it with some decent soul or blues it becomes more appealing to me.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Just awful. Is he trying to drive people insane? Is that the point of the exercise?

Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Ironbender, I always figured you were likely a pretty cool guy... you knowing about Chick Corea confirms that cool RIP Chick you were a great talent and seemed like a genuinely nice guy who enjoyed life as well

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifUCKum6MWA&ab_channel=LOFTmusic
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Just awful. Is he trying to drive people insane? Is that the point of the exercise?

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Ironbender, I always figured you were likely a pretty cool guy... you knowing about Chick Corea confirms that cool RIP Chick you were a great talent and seemed like a genuinely nice guy who enjoyed life as well

That’s me. Not enough Os in coooool to describe me. 🤔
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
RIP Chick.
Posted By: goalie Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Saw him several times in concert.

As a drummer, my view of jazz as a genre is a little better than the hater crowd.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Chick Corea was to me straight awesome. Sorry to hear many don’t like Jazz. I do. The tacs the musicians use as they rotate thru the piece, much as bluegrass players, allow each to shine. Corea was a wizard musically. Check out some of his older stuff w Miles Davis. RIP Chick.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Well damn. He was a favorite

Wow

I could’ve jimmy olsen’d this, never knowing his work I would’ve had praises heaped upon me for being a cool guy and all??

Damn

I gotta pay more attention to the obscure death announcements on the news.

I try

Posted By: lvmiker Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?

People that don't get jazz usually can't do math in their head.

RIP Chick

mike r
Posted By: Steve Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
ally can't do math in their head.

RIP Chick

mike r

Funny! I like some jazz. I can get trigonometric estimates in my head but can't solve quadratic equations.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
He wasn't necessarily my cup o' tea, but I could appreciate that he had some serious talent.

He seems to bear a passing physical resemblance to Stephen King... whistle

FC
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Wow
I could’ve jimmy olsen’d this, never knowing his work I would’ve had praises heaped upon me for being a cool guy and all??
Damn

I try

Not hard enough apparently.

Get up earlier, stay up later. And put down the Tay Tay music. It's slowin' you down.
Chick cool....................I have some of his music in the box. Might have to dig it out and play a CD to honor him being DED.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Is related to Huntington?
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Wow
Damn

I try

Get up earlier, stay up later. And put down the Tay Tay music. It's slowin' you down.

Yeah

I’ll get right on that.

Do I need a bottle of soapies and a bubble machine to set the mood. Or just a pink bath robe?

lol
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Wow
Damn

I try

Yeah

I’ll get right on that.

Do I need a bottle of soapies and a bubble machine to set the mood. Or just a pink bath robe?

lol

Pork pie hat.

and spats.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
Another great one gone. He was an early influence on my musical tastes. RIP Chick.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?

RIP Chick

mike r

mike , you do strike me as very - jazzy .

Do you say '' oh man i'm totally jazzed'' lol smile
Posted By: EdM Re: Chick Corea - 02/12/21
I enjoyed Return to Forever's music long ago. Boy, it's been a while.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Is related to Huntington?

Dat's sick. ;-{>8
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
I remember seeing Chick several times in the 70's at a gin mill in Albany. A buddy and I would hitchhike from Schenectady to see him at the Last Chance Saloon. He was master of the keyboards but could play several other instruments and play them well. RIP Chick.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

Oh man. I've been a big Chick Corea fan most of my life.

RIP Chick.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?

RIP Chick

mike r

Jazz hands....
Posted By: Higginez Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
RIP Chick!

Posted By: Higginez Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Posted By: rufous Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
I was grooving to his music in my teens 40 years ago along with Return to Forever and AL Di Meola. Good stuff!
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
It's hard to believe he's gone .
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

That’s me. Not enough Os in coooool to describe me. 🤔

Even with all those Os still modest too cool

You Tube just spit out a long list of older jazz rock fusion stuff at me.... check out some of these

tal wilkenfeld is a youngster bass player who has played with many of the greats from yester year. Here she is with Jeff Beck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2Yvjd5kqY&ab_channel=YOSHIKI19621962

Al di Meola was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWfDkx4zyY&ab_channel=randallstaffordcook

And for something completely different 2 Cellos These guys crack me up.... World class cellists who take improvisation to a whole new level. I'm almost certain these guys would have given my elementary school music teacher Mrs. Anderson a massive heart attack but I think they have done more to make classical music interesting for younger people than anyone else I can think of.... They have a million clips up worth checking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk&ab_channel=2CELLOS
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?

RIP Chick

mike r

Only when I am too stoked to come up w/ the gnarlyest quip.

I am pretty jazzy. You should listen to MDs "Bitches Brew" through Bose headphones from your Discman at 16k' in Tajikistan on a frigid night in your tent during a sheep hunt.

But then again, you probably wouldn't enjoy it...carry on

mike r
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
I like certain sub-genres of music within all the major classifications. There's a lot of jazz I like, some not so much. My wife likes jazz a lot, maybe because she understands music, sings, plays a few instruments and did ballet for 30 years. Also, she's an accountant. She had her own jazz program on the local radio station when she was an undergraduate in college. She likes a certain narrow band of popular music too. Generally, when I'm in the truck alone is when I play '50's rock and roll/rockabilly, classic and Bakersfield C&W.....she doesn't care much for those.
Posted By: rufous Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
The 2 cellos were fun
Posted By: add Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
God Speed!

[Linked Image from miro.medium.com]
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by EdM

I will be spinning my RTF Romantic Warrior vinyl in the morning; epic music. Chick,Al DiMeola and Stanley Jordan; lots of talent.
Saw Chick and Al live once; genius.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by rufous
The 2 cellos were fun

Yep, here is a nearly X rated version of Moonlight Sonata This woman as some seriously LONG legs.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzWDs26YL9Y

Their home page.....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2chellos
Posted By: EdM Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by EdM

I will be spinning my RTF Romantic Warrior vinyl in the morning; epic music. Chick,Al DiMeola and Stanley Jordan; lots of talent.

Bassist was Stanley Clark, who I saw "solo" with George Duke in the 80's (Concord Pavilion California maybe ten miles from my house). Indeed, crazy talent with that bunch.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
My mom was a music teacher she liked him.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by EdM

Bassist was Stanley Clark, who I saw "solo" with George Duke in the 80's (Concord Pavilion California maybe ten miles from my house). Indeed, crazy talent with that bunch.

Yes, thanks for the correction.
And; Chick was truly nice person.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
In the early 1970s, most people I knew had Chick Corea albums [remember record players?]

I never bought a Chick Corea album, but I was forced to listen at other people's houses.

It sounds like a contrived jazz mess to me.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Sometimes the process of understanding certain music leads to much appreciation, even if one does not favor or "like" that type. I have played and deeply enjoyed many forms of jazz, and have listened to CC from his most early notices. Although I had a lot of other musical involvements and responsibilities and time was in short supply, I studied the inner workings of Return to Forever, Weather Report, MD Bitches Brew and other such work in an effort to grasp what those excellent musicians were stating. CC and almost all of his compadres were excellent players, and i especially appreciated his playing. But, the Fusion concept did not sing well to me and was of lower appeal - tar from my favorite listening or playing. CC was highly trained and disciplined, and an immense musical talent - I regret that he is gone.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
I was introduced to his music through his collaboration with Bela Fleck. The guy was an amazing musician.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

Nerve grating. eek

Is that his purpose?

That was definitely not one of his best works.
Paul B.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
Originally Posted by CCCC
Sometimes the process of understanding certain music leads to much appreciation, even if one does not favor or "like" that type. I have played and deeply enjoyed many forms of jazz, and have listened to CC from his most early notices. Although I had a lot of other musical involvements and responsibilities and time was in short supply, I studied the inner workings of Return to Forever, Weather Report, MD Bitches Brew and other such work in an effort to grasp what those excellent musicians were stating. CC and almost all of his compadres were excellent players, and i especially appreciated his playing. But, the Fusion concept did not sing well to me and was of lower appeal - tar from my favorite listening or playing. CC was highly trained and disciplined, and an immense musical talent - I regret that he is gone.

Well said.
Paul B.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21

Only when I am too stoked to come up w/ the gnarlyest quip.

I am pretty jazzy. You should listen to MDs "Bitches Brew" through Bose headphones from your Discman at 16k' in Tajikistan on a frigid night in your tent during a sheep hunt.

But then again, you probably wouldn't enjoy it...carry on

mike r

My wife just doesn't have an ear for Jazz. She does enjoy a lot of it, and god knows living with me she gets to hear a lot of it. Frequently, I will be listening to something and say to her I can hear so and so playing this right now with whoever happens to be playing what I am listening to and it makes her a little crazy because she knows what I am talking about but cannot process that addition to the music.

Do you have the complete four record/cd set of Bitches Brew? That whole collection is best taken in context and not just the single album released originally. It is one whole extended "conversation" between the players and sheds a lot of light on that music as a whole piece. It's hard to find, but really well worth the effort.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Chick Corea - 02/13/21
#HeDed
© 24hourcampfire