Home
Posted By: stxhunter Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Kevin Whipkey
Saltwater Enthusiasts
5t7Smdpongsforedo ·
The effects of this weather are going to last a lot longer than some people realize. LOTS of dead trout over 25 inches with the largest being 30" and 9.2 lbs
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Damn, and here I was saying Corpus weren’t going to get hammered.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
That sucks. Every few years we have a trout kill here on the NC coast due to a hard freeze. Takes a little while but the numbers bounce back.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Damn dude, Those are some big Reds that got wasted. That's the size that makes all the babies.
Posted By: DMc Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
That does suck! Those will all be washed to shore eventually, won't they? Weather causing a fish kill... My favorite quarry.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Sorry to hear of it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
It took four-five years for us to catch a trout after '83. It's gonna be even worse than they think if it's killing redfish and drum.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Crap. I was going to start after them seriously this spring. Couldnt do it last year after retiring the summer before, due to the Commie flu lockdown. Seemed like there would have been a bumper crop this year after light pressure last spring. I wonder how they fared in La?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Crap. I was going to start after them seriously. I wonder how they fared in La?

I'm on the Tx/La border and it's bad. Don't know about the other side of the river.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Damn dude, Those are some big Reds that got wasted. That's the size that makes all the babies.

No , not really for the Reds. That’s about the max size before they head offshore to live. Once they get to breeding size they only come inshore to spawn. The spawning size congregate in big schools and were a real pita for me when I grouper fished for a living. You couldn’t get a bait to the bottom if the Reds were on a rock. All you could do was move to a different spot. I’ve seen schools of thousands of 40-60+ pound redfish offshore. There will be few if any keeper redfish inshore for a few years until spawners replace them. The trout on the other hand are decimated ! Sad.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
What don't die will when that snow melts off and that super cooled water mixes with what is already cold. Happens in NC ever few years but our reds leave the sounds and move off the beaches so mainly does not hurt them......
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
Don't those TX fish know to move to deeper water as it cools?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
Haven’t heard much about the central and east Louisiana coastal areas and marshes.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Don't those TX fish know to move to deeper water as it cools?

They do if they can, but there are millions of acres of shallow bay systems and marsh where they get trapped or can't get out fast enough. This is a sub-tropical environment that gets wiped out by cold every few decades.
Posted By: Tedo Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
That sucks, heading down to Port Mansfield mid April for a couple months. Enjoyed some excellent fishing for the last few years during this period.
Posted By: Tedo Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
That sucks, heading down to Port Mansfield mid April for a couple months. Enjoyed some excellent fishing for the last few years during this period.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
I may have to sell my boat and become a crappie guide on Rayburn and Toledo.
Posted By: Boise Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It took four-five years for us to catch a trout after '83. It's gonna be even worse than they think if it's killing redfish and drum.

Dang it, I was planning to catch my first redfish with you this year.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ltppowel - 02/18/21
https://www.facebook.com/groups/207...amp;notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
Thank you. Good stuff there.
Posted By: RL Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
Will be rough on the guides in the Lower Laguna Madre - really all of them up and down the coast. Last year was tough with Covid but this may send some to the house. Hope I haven't caught my last 30" trout for a while.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by RL
Will be rough on the guides in the Lower Laguna Madre - really all of them up and down the coast. Last year was tough with Covid but this may send some to the house. Hope I haven't caught my last 30" trout for a while.

I've been fishing the Georgia and SC coast for probably 50 years since I was big enough to hold a rod and reel around age 5, and I have caught probably one that big.....weighed about 5 pounds. That is a while. Dang thing looked weird.....almost like another kind of fish. I caught him bottom fishing with a big mullet attempting to catch a striped bass. Now its a job to find some that make the 14 inch limit. We used to catch big numbers back in the day but they were never big. I've always done better with the reds. Maybe I suck as a fisherman.....strong possibility. But I have a cousin who is a big fisherman that worked with a man from Louisiana who tried our fishing and said compared to home it was horrible. Georgia has a relatively undeveloped system of barrier islands but we don't have the live oyster shells we used to when I was a kid. At some point, something took them out. Don't know if it was weather or pollution or what. Maybe fertilizer run off from the golf courses. And there are SO MANY more people fishing now than then. I like to exaggerate and joke that everyone from Ohio moved down here in the last 20 years. Maybe not everyone but during football season there are as many Ohio State flags on the houses and cars in coastal South Carolina as there are Clemson flags and that is not a joke.

I hope Ya'lls fishing is not hurt too bad. Only thing that compares with good saltwater inshore fishing is hunting deer on a good place.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
Matagorda

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
Oh my God what a sight. That is HORRIBLE. cry
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ltppowel - 02/19/21
some good though.

Katy Coastal Guide Service
1tSSponsmohrnedc ·
With all the damage this freeze has caused to Texans and our fisheries thought I'd share some positive news. In Rockport, thousands of fish sunning on a shallow flat trying to warm themselves. Reds, trout, mullet, drum you name it. Big bull reds and stud trout in the mix. Picture and video do not do it justice. They were swimming normally in a foot or less of water trying to thaw out.

https://www.facebook.com/KatyCoastal
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
We've still got some ice. The next couple of days will be telling. I tryed to talk my customers out of fishing the next two days, but they just want to get away from the new woke civilization.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
It was a beautiful day here today. got up to the low fifties, seventy Sunday.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
It was a beautiful day here today. got up to the low fifties, seventy Sunday.

Nice day for sure!

Might go try and kill something tomorrow night.

Tomorrow night low only supposed to be 46..

Stuff will be hungry and moving! smile
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
Last big fish killing freeze was 1989. The previous was 1983-84.
Trout are a lot like Bob white quail. A large majority die each year. Limits really don’t make much sense. We always policed ourselves. Never wiped out a covey.
Trout are a lot of ways the same. Fishing guides and some sportsman have gotten the limits ridiculously low. They haven’t been around enough to know Mother Nature can wipe out all they have been trying to save.
The guides like a 5 fish limit. Hasbeen
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
Two more freezing nights here, then near 70° on Sunday. Ain't worth a [bleep] in the rain forest.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Ltppowel - 02/20/21
I am glad some of you are getting back to higher temps. Be well
© 24hourcampfire