Home
Posted By: goalie Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Kingston, little story for you:

Maybe 20 years old. Messing around with a gas grill. Let it run gas for maybe a minute closed, then popped the top while hitting the ignition.

Beer was involved.

And flames.

I got torched. Eyebrows singed off.

Nobody noticed.

Not one fuucking person noticed that I no longer had eyebrows.

#reallywhitepersonproblems
Posted By: Motown Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Happened to me as well in my early 20’s. I was also pretty drunk and nobody noticed either.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
What, you guys never did the Mongo thing? Lighting a seegar in the campfire?

Hey Motown? How the Flyers doin? And why not a "winged wheel" with your 'fire handle of Motown?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
goalie;
Good morning - well I see it's afternoon for you folks - I hope the day's been a good one for you and your fine family.

Thanks for the chuckle, it's much appreciated on a few levels, one of which brought back an "incident" from my past.

When I was going into Grade 7 we moved off the family farm about 250 miles north to a small town.

One of the first guys I met was Scott, who somehow was wired pretty close to the way I was in a number of ways and we subsequently got into a fair bit of hijinks because of that, with firearms, motorcycles, snowmobiles and sometimes gun powder.

We were, on this occasion, working on a Jr. High science project and built a paper mache volcano with a surrounding landscape. It was built on a 2'x2' piece of plywood so we could transport it easily. Since we were boys and since we had access to gun powder, we'd installed an old pill bottle as the mouth of the volcano and filled it about half full with a mixture of shotgun, rifle and black powder.... eek

One of us and I can't recall which one now, decided it'd be wise to do a test run of the science project outside, just to ensure it'd work well enough to impress our science teacher Mr. Chychrun, who was incidentally tough to impress.

We laid the thing on a snow bank in his back yard, installed the appropriate length of firecracker fuse and Scott lit it up and stood back.

The fuse burned to the edge of the volcano and stopped... nothing happened.

Scott looked over at me, and began to move towards the volcano, which I thought was a poor plan and was about to tell him so when it went off spewing flame about 2' into the air.

Unfortunately for Scott, his face was about 18" over the mouth of the lava monster and like you, he lost his eyebrows as well as a wonderful start on a slightly fuzzy moustache.

When we took the science project into school the next day, explained to Mr. Chychrun what had happened so that was why we wouldn't do a "full display" in class, he looked at the melted volcano, then at Scott's face and sincerely thanked us both for doing that test run outside! laugh

Though the marks we got for the project is somehow lost in time, as I type this I can still see my best buddy Scott doing a backflip into the snow.

Thanks for the fond memories of a long passed friend and for the chuckle sir.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: rem141r Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
a year or two ago i had a full beard and was getting sick of it like i always do. all my kids and wife were home and sitting around the living room. i went upstairs and cut off exactly half my facial hair. one side clean, the other full beard. looked like two-face from dick tracy cartoon. came back down and proceeded to keep bs'ing. took forever for somebody to notice.
Dwayne,

was Mr Chychrun related to the NHL HOCKEY Chychruns?
Posted By: hanco Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
I was in shop class at apprenticeship school in early 70’s. We were gas welding, had never seen a butane cigarette lighter before. A dumas caddy corner to me had one on his table. Well, guess what? The MF exploded, burned about 6 of us pretty good, no eyebrows, mustaches, beards, fuuucked us up pretty good, no eye damage, had goggles on.

They same Dumass was looking in a dark gang box that had a spilled can of PVC cleaner, burned cshit out of himself again. He fell of a ladder, hurt his back, never completed his apprenticeship.
Posted By: goalie Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by BC30cal
goalie;
Good morning - well I see it's afternoon for you folks - I hope the day's been a good one for you and your fine family.

Thanks for the chuckle, it's much appreciated on a few levels, one of which brought back an "incident" from my past.

When I was going into Grade 7 we moved off the family farm about 250 miles north to a small town.

One of the first guys I met was Scott, who somehow was wired pretty close to the way I was in a number of ways and we subsequently got into a fair bit of hijinks because of that, with firearms, motorcycles, snowmobiles and sometimes gun powder.

We were, on this occasion, working on a Jr. High science project and built a paper mache volcano with a surrounding landscape. It was built on a 2'x2' piece of plywood so we could transport it easily. Since we were boys and since we had access to gun powder, we'd installed an old pill bottle as the mouth of the volcano and filled it about half full with a mixture of shotgun, rifle and black powder.... eek

One of us and I can't recall which one now, decided it'd be wise to do a test run of the science project outside, just to ensure it'd work well enough to impress our science teacher Mr. Chychrun, who was incidentally tough to impress.

We laid the thing on a snow bank in his back yard, installed the appropriate length of firecracker fuse and Scott lit it up and stood back.

The fuse burned to the edge of the volcano and stopped... nothing happened.

Scott looked over at me, and began to move towards the volcano, which I thought was a poor plan and was about to tell him so when it went off spewing flame about 2' into the air.

Unfortunately for Scott, his face was about 18" over the mouth of the lava monster and like you, he lost his eyebrows as well as a wonderful start on a slightly fuzzy moustache.

When we took the science project into school the next day, explained to Mr. Chychrun what had happened so that was why we wouldn't do a "full display" in class, he looked at the melted volcano, then at Scott's face and sincerely thanked us both for doing that test run outside! laugh

Though the marks we got for the project is somehow lost in time, as I type this I can still see my best buddy Scott doing a backflip into the snow.

Thanks for the fond memories of a long passed friend and for the chuckle sir.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

😂
Posted By: slumlord Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
LOL

smoking a bong will toast em off too if got the lighter flame dialed up hot for blunts.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
We were cleaning up on a Sunday morning before heading out for a big family reunion dinner.

My 5 year old brother had dad's razor and shaved off 1/2 of 1 eyebrow before Ma caught him.

Everybody but Ma thought it was hilarious!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
BURPPPPP
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Valsdad;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I trust all is well with you folks.

Sorry I'm not sure, but it's not a super common name even in Ukrainian circles.

In looking up how to spell his name, I found out that he'd passed on last year.

https://heritagefuneral.ca/tribute/details/182/Matthew-Chychrun/obituary.html

While I may have mentioned this previously and truly am loathe to do this on a thread started by "goalie" - I'm somewhat famous for my abilities in hockey and curling...

Yes, it's a fact that in the entire history of Saskatchewan there have been less than 275 people who can neither skate, nor curl. laugh

I was asked to leave and need to get written permission from Regina to even visit now. cry

Okay another quick NHL story.

When our eldest was in high school she made friends with a girl who was new in town. Our girls were always good at being inclusive and fair minded - once again a nod to their mother for good genetics.

Anyways we met her father Rob who was and is a big fellow and as they were waiting for his wife/her mother to get up here from stateside, we invited Rob and his daughter over for a couple meals.

We were chatting about life and work and such when Rob looked at me and said, "You don't really follow hockey at all do you?"

I then told him the story of my Saskatchewan fame and he got a good chuckle out of it.

Turned out Rob was this Rob - but it sort of tickled him that I was one of the few Canadians that wasn't aware of who he was.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1375

Anyways, with apologies to you and goalie, I'm not sure but imagine there must be a connection somewhere not too, too far back?

All the best to you folks Valsdad.

Dwayne
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I was in shop class at apprenticeship school in early 70’s. We were gas welding, had never seen a butane cigarette lighter before. A dumas caddy corner to me had one on his table. Well, guess what? The MF exploded, burned about 6 of us pretty good, no eyebrows, mustaches, beards, fuuucked us up pretty good, no eye damage, had goggles on.

They same Dumass was looking in a dark gang box that had a spilled can of PVC cleaner, burned cshit out of himself again. He fell of a ladder, hurt his back, never completed his apprenticeship.

We had a one of those walking accidents that worked with us for awhile framing houses. Something happened to him at least weekly. Last incident he set up a step ladder on the edge of a second story deck we were building with one leg of the ladder in mid air off the edge of the deck. Stepped onto the ladder and immediately fell about 10' to the ground, broke an arm and all beat up. We decided after that he was irredeemable.
OK Dwayne, that's kinda funny. He was even born in Regina. But, that being said, I don't think the folks there will cross your name off the Canadian registry.

Curling I've never tried either. I can't imagine why. Although, when I was a drinking man I guess I might have seen it as a good excuse to drink while out on the lake/river had I lived where they froze solid.

We're well here, 3-4 days of sunshine mostly in the forecast. Time to go split wood and stack it for drying.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
But did it take care of the nose and ear hairs too? 😮
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
When my younger brother was an early teen he shaved his eyebrows off. He says he's not sure why, he did one then had to do the other. I was already away at college so I didn't get to see it. It hilarious to hear my parents talk about it...."we knew something was different but we just couldn't tell what it was".... It took them days to realize he'd shaved his eyebrows.
Posted By: kingston Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
How many years were you a hairless albino super villain for Halloween?
Posted By: deflave Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by goalie

Maybe 20 years old. Messing around with a gas grill. Let it run gas for maybe a minute closed, then popped the top while hitting the ignition.

Beer was involved.

And flames.

Nobody noticed.

Did you try traveling outside Poland?

Might have made a difference in the amount of attention you received.
Hairless albino supervillain.

Aaaaaaand this year's Halloween costume has been picked out early!!!!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
#oldmanproblems

[Linked Image from 25yearslatersite.com]
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

Another one you gave the death stare, nice touch including the ML for photos.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Bet you guys didn't know it was based on a true story.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's not a death stare, that's the look you have when you realize the game cart is at the other property you hunt, and you're hoping, nay, praying that you left a sled in the boathouse to drag it out on.

😜
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Bet you guys didn't know it was based on a true story.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tag to watch later.
That's not a death stare, that's the look you have when you realize the game cart is at the other property you hunt, and you're hoping, nay, praying that you left a sled in the boathouse to drag it out on.

😜

Hairless Albino Supervillain's death stare drops does in their tracks.

Posted By: BobBrown Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
👀
Originally Posted by kingston

😜

Hairless Albino Supervillain's death stare drops does in their tracks.

While that's flattering, I'm pretty sure throwing the smoke-pole in a creek a few times while sighting in, and my sawzall barrel chop put me over the top this year.
I can't believe they make you wear orange. It's almost like they don't want you to stand out.
Posted By: Motown Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Hey Motown? How the Flyers doin? And why not a "winged wheel" with your 'fire handle of Motown?

They are in 2nd place with a huge game tonight vs Boston.

I am not from Detroit and the whole Motown thing came from the name of my home town in PA.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21
I had a notion one evening while I was in college that I should grill a pork chop. Only trouble was no lighter fluid for the grill. Scrounging around for some type of fuel and knowing better than to use gasoline, already had that t shirt, I came across a jug of Pyrodex. Knowing better than to have the whole jug out near the action I filled an empty Copenhagen can and took it out with me. I shook a quantity out into the grill and laid the can on the porch to the left of my lawn chair. Struck a match and tossed it into the grill at which point a Whoosh! and shower of sparks. Well one of those sparks landed in the snuff can and another Whoosh! burned every hair off my left leg from the top of my foot up into the leg of my shorts. Felt like I had a mega sunburn and my leg was pink instantly and stayed that way for at least a week.

Spilled my beer and shucked my shorts while running to dive into a cold shower.
From what I'm gathering here, alcohol can make your eyebrows fall off.

Who knew????
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Eyebrows - 02/21/21

Beer was involved.

And flames.

Nobody noticed.

Had that happen to me squerting started fluid on the pit, the wind blew the fluid back on my t-shirt and I went up in flames. Burnt my hands trying to tear my shirt off, stepson knocked me to the ground and rolled me to put it out. My hands got burned the worst, burnt my eyebrows and mustache and face some. being on fire is not fun.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Built an addition, and did a remodel in a house in Santa Fe.
The remodel included relocating the mechanical room - water heater, and boiler.
Plumbers, and later, the roofer had major problems getting the flat roof sealed.
3 weeks, or so after the roofer finally managed to get the roof tight, he showed up to clean the tar that had leaked off of the equipment.
While squatting in the addition, tending to some finishing touches, I smelled gasoline.
Thought - "I wonder if he had sense enough to turn off the pilot lights?"
Whoosh -
"NOPE!" When I ran up the stairs into the remodel area, he came running down a 5' hallway, carrying a flaming rag, on a pointing trowel - while yelling "It's gonna blow, it's gonna blow!!!"
I looked around the corner into the mech room, and there's a 3# coffee can, burning away. Terry comes running back in, still panicked, yelling the same.
I grabbed him, slammed him up against the wall, and told him that he'd had all the explosion he was getting. I got my block trowel, and plastering hawk - put the hawk over the can of gas, trowel under, and carefully carried it out of the building.
THEN, I realized my face was hot.
No eyebrows, mustache, 2 day growth of beard, hair above the neckline of my shirt, and little on my upper arms.
But, the house didn't burn down! smile smile smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Motown
Originally Posted by Valsdad

They are in 2nd place with a huge game tonight vs Boston.

I am not from Detroit and the whole Motown thing came from the name of my home town in PA.

Interesting. I think I saw the Flyers play earlier, just after the restart if I'm not mistaken. They impressed.

I looked up your hometown. If I got it correct it's in a part of PA I never got to while there the two times I was a resident of the Commonwealth.

Good luck to your team, mine will likely scratch their way to near a playoff spot and therefor get a middling draft pick. It needs some serious help.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Motown, where is that?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Motown, where is that?

I looked it up but won't mention it here. I'll let mr Motown do that should he choose to. Some folks enjoy a little anonymity.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Remember trying to light the furnace in an old 40’ travel trailer “HEAVY FUGGER” the little blue light went out and I held the button down too long before striking a match seen the big orange ball of flames just in time to close my eyes loose my eyebrows and get knocked back against the cabinet
Posted By: las Re: Eyebrows - 02/22/21
Lighting off ice-trapped methane pockets in frozen over lakes ain't the smartest thing I've done.

Best to pick the little ones.....

Oh yeah, eyebrows grow back.

My partner in Organic Chem got nick-named "Fireball Dugan" after a slight mishap with, IIRC, leaky ester alcohol rigging.

"WHOOMP"

We looked over just as he exited the fireball, no eyebrows. Burned Experiment 13 - or most of it - right out of MY lab manual.

Probably an omen there....

Then there was the guy two tables over, who wound up with "The Sodium Kid"

He discovered that if you use a walnut sized piece of material to drop into water, instead of the pea size called for, it is not a good idea to try to put it out by then dashing it under the faucet.
© 24hourcampfire