Home
I've always said Irish whisky was swill. This was based on the ever popular Jameson and also the not-as-popular-but somewhat, Tullamore Dew. I'll stand by the FACT that both are ass but I did find an Irish whiskey I actually liked.

Bushmills is palatable. I bought some tonight and found it quite tasty. So I've revised myself on all Irish whiskies. They're not all swill.

No revision on Evan Williams. That shixt sucks.
And...I'm not calling Evan Williams an Irish whisky. It's not. I just threw it in there because I despise the swill with a passion.
Wish I was hangin out with you tonight! LOL
That was a scanty basis for such a broad opinion. There are extremely fine Irish whiskeys out there. Redbreast 12 year old pot still or Green Spot might be an education for you.
I like Jameson......... Canadian whiskey is good.

Try Proper 12.

Not bad imho.......
Clonakilty and Knappogue Castle are excellent as well.
Try Bushmills Black Bush
Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniels will never let you lose your place when you are playing the fiddle.
I like Knappoge Castle too.

I hear that Redbreast is good too but never had it myself.
Is Jack Daniels 24HCF approved ? Hard to keep track with all the opinions here.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
And...I'm not calling Evan Williams an Irish whisky. It's not. I just threw it in there because I despise the swill with a passion.

Have you tried Evan Williams, bottled in bond, 100 proof. Different animal that the regular Evan Williams. miles
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I hope so, Wifey and I drink a good bit of it when we go dancing on Saturday nights.
Ethan, just because you don't like something does not make it swill. They sell trainloads of the stuff you don't like, so there must be millions of people who would disagree with your opinion. You are grossly outvoted.

I don't happen to like bourbon. You apparently do. If I said all bourbon is swill, you'd think I was a moron. So it is with the sneaker on the other appendage, my friend.

Congrats on finding an Irish whiskey you like.
Most of the world considers Bourbon unfinished whiskey.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Have you tried Evan Williams, bottled in bond, 100 proof. Different animal that the regular Evan Williams. miles

Yep. I'd tried (for some unknown reason) the regular, 1783, Single Barrel, & possibly one called, "Signature", and hated them all. What possessed me to then go ahead & try the white label BIB, I'll never know, but it really is quite good. It goes for < $17 for a 750 ml here, and I prefer it over some $40 bourbons. In fact, I offered some to one of the offspring yesterday, & he was so taken with it he immediately pronounced he'd never drink Jack again.

Back to Irish whiskey: what's the one that MD prefers? I remember looking it up once, and finding that it wasn't going to be in the cheapo section...

FC
Originally Posted by MM879
Most of the world considers Bourbon unfinished whiskey.

I wish they did. It would keep more it here for us to enjoy and keep prices down. Bourbon popularity is very high right now and quite a bit of it is being exported.
Originally Posted by hanco

I hope so, Wifey and I drink a good bit of it when we go dancing on Saturday nights.

Sounds like a ton of fun.
I really haven't explored Irish Whisky all that much. To me the type is kinda Scotch-lite. I have had and did enjoy Black Bush. I've had and enjoyed Green Spot. I understand that Red Breast, Powers Three Swallows and many of the Teeling Distillery offerings are supposed to be quite good. Maybe I'll get around to trying them but after exploring the wonders of cask strength bourbons, I'm guessing the lower proof whiskies won't be delivering the big flavors to which I've become accustomed.
Alcohol was never a thing for me until in my 50s, hated beer, wine is vinegar, vodka tastes like dirt, tequila is not a friend of mine... I could do a rum and coke, whiskey and coke or 7, tom collins with gin on the few occasions social drinking was called for.

Last 10 years wife and I have come to like a drink on an evening and weekend, she can drink about anything, her and the daughter like wine when they get together.

For me it's bourbon, I like the bite, crown is fine for a light drink but I don't like the sweet or spiced whiskeys, I like the ryes also.

What I keep on hand.

101, my go to bourbon
Bulliet reg and rye
Knob creek
Jack reg and rye
Williams
crown

I put it in coke and every once in awhile coffee, I can drink it on ice or from a shot but don't prefer it that way.

Kent
First, it's Irish WHISKEY, not whisky. That said, Bushmill Black Bush and Redbreast 12 yr old are residing in my cabinet right now, getting along fine next to some Canadian and Bourbon whiskies. Been working thru the Redbreast this month. The 12 yr old goes for around $60-68 (750ml) around here. Saw a bottle of Redbreast 15 yr old couple of days ago and they want $115 for that, I passed.
Heaven Hill (the distillery of Evan Williams) is quite capable of producing some excellent whiskey. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is consistently very good. I really like Rittenhouse and Pikesville Rye, (both Heaven Hill products). Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is a great value and has been a staple of mine for the past couple years. Larceny is their wheated bourbon (wheat is the secondary grain to corn) and over the years I've liked that too but - - - - my last bottle of it was a real stinker. Something was terribly off about it and it was not to their typical taste profile. It had a nasty, moldy corn, dusty peanut funk to it. If that was my first bottle of it, I'd swear off of it forever. I heard someone say they found the same flaw in a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch.

This suggests to me that Heaven Hill either has quality control issues, or, is knowingly dumping flawed barrels/batches that should be discarded into their lower shelf products to stretch inventory and meet production demands. Either is totally unacceptable. It will be a long while before I'll try another Larceny. I'm guessing they got a bad batch of corn. It should have been caught and discarded. There is just no excuse for Heaven Hill to put out such flawed whiskey.

Just can’t use co cola anymore. Campfire member Saddlebred Bob says we cain’ts be drenkin in, cause somerone in idablow said so
Canadians make great whiskey.
Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey is drinkable.
Originally Posted by RAS

And Yugoslavia made great cars.
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....
What's a good, reasonably priced unsmoked Scotch?
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Blended Scotch or Single Malt and what's a reasonable price for you?

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $35 a 5th.
I'm glad I dont have expensive taste. The only Irish Whiskey I didn't like was Feckin' Irish Whiskey. That stuff woud gag a maggot! https://www.irishmalts.com/blended/feckin-irish-whiskey
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....

Beat me to it grin

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $30 a 5th.

Ok, Deanston Virgin Oak Single Malt is a decent non-peated, non-chill filtered, quality (but young) Scotch that can be found in many places for $30. There are plenty of blended scotch that can be found for that price; Try Monkey Shoulder.
krp;
Top of the morning to you brother Kent, I hope the weekend was acceptable for you folks and you all are well.

As I see your tastes are not that far from my own, I'll offer the following suggestions to you or any who might be interested.

When the beer flu hit us up here there was no shortage of Canadian beer, spirits or wine but some of the imported stuff began to become scarce.

As a general rule if I was in the mood for spirits, it'd be either Pike Creek which is an Ontario made product with a unique barreling program or Famous Grouse blended Scotch.

Here's a link to Pike Creek for anyone interested.

http://www.pikecreekwhisky.com/s/#!/home/1

All that to say when we couldn't find Famous Grouse here, one of the young fellows recommended I try this new product called Proper No 12 Irish Whiskey.

[Linked Image from static.whiskybase.com]

It's become a go to for me as I find it smoother than Famous Grouse, but of course as many posters have noted we all taste differently.

If however, one doesn't mind the flavor of Bushmills Black Bush it's worth a try.

Hopefully you or someone out there finds this helpful should your usual spirits be gone from the shelf or you're feeling like trying something new.

All the best to you and your fine family Brother Kent.

Dwayne

Dewar's 12 will give you a good taste of all the areas of Scotch. Some of the smokey versions of other Scotch's will sour you on all Scotch. Waite until t=your tastes develop. It can get very expensive.
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Try Bushmills Black Bush

X2
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....

Beat me to it grin

mathman;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend was more than less the way you'd hoped it would be and that all in your world are well.

Since I've noted on a couple posts you don't prefer Canadian rye, I was wondering if you've ever tried the Pike Creek product I've linked to above?

It's not Crown by any stretch, which I personally find too sweet in any variations I've tried.

There used to be a rye out of Alberta called Tangle Ridge which was quite nice, but it would appear there weren't enough of us that thought so.

Forty Creek gets a lot of air play up here, but honestly it's much harsher than Pike Creek for my taste buds and I'm not sure what the fuss is about with it. The same could be said for Pendleton actually in my view, as the one bottle I tried on a trip down to Oregon was disappointing to my tastes.

Anyways, just curious and nothing more sir. I'm not really sure that Pike Creek is available south of the medicine line, well or any of the better Canadian Ryes, so if one only gets to try Crown or Canadian Club eek eek eek, then I can certainly see your reluctance to endorse Canadian Whiskey. wink

All the best to you mathman.

Dwayne

Recently discovered that I like Irish whiskey. Always been a Scotch drinker, and I like the peaty taste, but have been sipping a little Irish whiskey lately.

Doniegal (SP?) seems to set well with me.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Just can’t use co cola anymore. Campfire member Saddlebred Bob says we cain’ts be drenkin in, cause somerone in idablow said so

There's me! I am sipping on a diet Coke right now trying to pry my other eye open.
Try Redbreast.

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $35 a 5th.

Try Monkey Shoulder. The ridiculous name aside, it's excellent sipping scotch at a bargain price.

Irish? Try Teeling or Redbreast.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
First, it's Irish WHISKEY, not whisky. That said, Bushmill Black Bush and Redbreast 12 yr old are residing in my cabinet right now, getting along fine next to some Canadian and Bourbon whiskies. Been working thru the Redbreast this month. The 12 yr old goes for around $60-68 (750ml) around here. Saw a bottle of Redbreast 15 yr old couple of days ago and they want $115 for that, I passed.
What are your thoughts on the 45 Colt vs. 45 Long Colt...chili-beans or no? Do you eschew calling magazines "clips"?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
krp;
Top of the morning to you brother Kent, I hope the weekend was acceptable for you folks and you all are well.

As I see your tastes are not that far from my own, I'll offer the following suggestions to you or any who might be interested.

When the beer flu hit us up here there was no shortage of Canadian beer, spirits or wine but some of the imported stuff began to become scarce.

As a general rule if I was in the mood for spirits, it'd be either Pike Creek which is an Ontario made product with a unique barreling program or Famous Grouse blended Scotch.

Here's a link to Pike Creek for anyone interested.

http://www.pikecreekwhisky.com/s/#!/home/1

All that to say when we couldn't find Famous Grouse here, one of the young fellows recommended I try this new product called Proper No 12 Irish Whiskey.

[Linked Image from static.whiskybase.com]

It's become a go to for me as I find it smoother than Famous Grouse, but of course as many posters have noted we all taste differently.

If however, one doesn't mind the flavor of Bushmills Black Bush it's worth a try.

Hopefully you or someone out there finds this helpful should your usual spirits be gone from the shelf or you're feeling like trying something new.

All the best to you and your fine family Brother Kent.

Dwayne

Brother Dwayne, week has started well, made inspection this morning and waiting on concrete to arrive.

I haven't seen those brands but admit I buy what's at the grocery on sale.

I saw you mention Canadian club, I remember the old timers drinking that in camps, I admit to drinking some in those guys memory sometimes.

My buddy and I were 15 and up at fish camp in the white mountains. We hunted and fished with some of the biggest farmers/ranchers in the area, some really good old timers.

My buddy, who's still my best friend, and I came back to camp from fishing, they let us take the truck on dirt roads though we didn't have a license yet. We walk into the trailer and there's about 5 men sitting passing around a bottle of Canadian club. A stranger to us was there, he had the bottle and asked if we wanted some with a smile... no sir, thank you sir... he laughed.

We go outside and look at each other... he's a movie star, that's Ben Johnson... and so it was, he was friends with the ranchers, even passed away here in Mesa in a house developed on the farmers former property. He was a very down to earth guy and cool to a couple of young'uns.

Kent
Compared to Cognac, all Irish whiskey is delicious! Just saying....
Kent, Ben Johnson was/is one of my favorite actors. I still like to watch old westerns with Him in them. miles

Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Try Bushmills Black Bush

Does this stuff have curlys in it? sick
Originally Posted by mathman
That was a scanty basis for such a broad opinion. There are extremely fine Irish whiskeys out there. Redbreast 12 year old pot still or Green Spot might be an education for you.

I like Redbreast so much that I don't put ice in it. smile
Redbreast 12, Green Spot, and Jameson Black are three of my favorites. Don't mind Proper Twelve. Would love to try a Redbreast 15 but alas it is out of my price range.

NoCAL
© 24hourcampfire