Home
Posted By: wabigoon Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
"Hey, it's a Browning." Is Colt anywhere close to Browning in that regard?
I don't get the question.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Sorry Hawk, I should have been more clear.

Is there any mystique to Cold like there is to Browning?

I'll make a wild guess, some colt handguns?
Originally Posted by wabigoon

My gosh, of course there is.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Go price some Colt Python revolvers and you'll learn all about "mystique."
Which ones? The Woodsman is what has me wondering, of course.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Colt and Browning are both known for producing quality firearms.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by Labman95
Go price some Colt Python revolvers and you'll learn all about "mystique."

Or a first generation Single Action Army!
I've never thought about the Colt revolving rifles, I'll think they are over the moon?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Colt and Browning are both known for producing quality firearms.

True, but there's also a mystique to the names, because of their venerable history in the US gun market.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
I can’t think of any special mystique surrounding Colt firearms....
Posted By: papat Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Each persons interest. Mine is prewar Colt double actions. Not really a SAA fan. You want a Woodsman. If you can scratch the itch, do so
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I hope you're joking. Sarcasm?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Undoubtedly,
I hope Wabi’s OP was as well....
Posted By: BobMt Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21

maybe what he meant was....he doesn't see why there should be any special mystique surrounding colt.....not to put words in jacks mouth.......bob
Please good folks, fill me in.

Like Forest Gump, "I'm not a smart man."
I meant they have more mystique and history surrounding them than any other maker. They tamed the west, carried by storied outlaws and law men alike. Played large roles in every war we’ve fought, carried by legendary cops and legendary bank robbers.
I meant they have more mystique and history surrounding them than any other maker. They tamed the west, carried by storied outlaws and law men alike. Played large roles in every war we’ve fought, carried by legendary cops and legendary bank robbers.

Yep.
Posted By: EdM Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
I miss my Browning Medalist... Dumb move.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Some Colts have the quality or history/mystique to command high prices.

Others sell for way above their worth simply because there's a prancing pony stamped on it.

Then there's the discontinued thing, that usually drives up desirability & Colt has, at one time or another, discontinued just about everything they ever made.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Browning never made a gun in the sense of a production line. Fn and Miroku made most of them. Some of the Browning models have a mystique. The 1885 and B78 lines, some of the higher end bolt guns maybe, and Superposed shotguns along with the Sweet 16 A5.

Colt has a history but after the first gen SAA, the early cap and ball pistols I don't see a mystique.

Winchester has more than either one of them to me.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
John Moses ..
Worked for or provided designs to just about every US manufacturer during his life.

But Browning received the most...
Might take a lot of counting to decide, but Winchester made a boat load of Browning designs & it is written that Winchester bought many of his designs that they never used. Just bought them to keep competitors from getting them.
Posted By: johnw Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by stantdm
Browning never made a gun in the sense of a production line. Fn and Miroku made most of them. Some of the Browning models have a mystique. The 1885 and B78 lines, some of the higher end bolt guns maybe, and Superposed shotguns along with the Sweet 16 A5.

Colt has a history but after the first gen SAA, the early cap and ball pistols I don't see a mystique.

Are you talking about J.M himself? I have a Buckmark that isn't made by either FN or in Japan...

I don't really know where it was made, though. Don't know that the facility has a browning logo at their gate...

You forgot the Safari Grade Mauser action bolt guns, The High Power auto pistol, Baby Brownings, etc.. Yes, of course, there was never a Browning factory. Browning Arms commissioned gun manufacturers to make their designs (mainly FN). Many of John Browning's early designs were made by Winchester.
Originally Posted by johnw

Are you talking about J.M himself? I have a Buckmark that isn't made by either FN or in Japan...

I don't really know where it was made, though. Don't know that the facility has a browning logo at their gate...

Likely made by Arms Technology inc in Salt Lake City.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
The Colt Walker revolver changed the outcome of the Indian wars in general and the Comanches in particular.
Might as well throw Winchester in there, considering the number of JMB designs that bear the name.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
The Colt Walker revolver changed the outcome of the Indian wars in general and the Comanches in particular.

It was a gigantic force multiplier for mounted cavalry. They'd have three or four fully loaded Walkers or Dragoons on their saddles, and just wade into the Indians at full gallop, mowing them down as they passed.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
The Colt 1911 was a John browning design that is still used today over 100 years later.
Originally Posted by Toddly
The Colt 1911 was a John browning design that is still used today over 100 years later.

Yep. He was amazingly prolific.
If I recall correctly, the Ithaca 37 was his final design.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
If I recall correctly, the Ithaca 37 was his final design.

Yes. I think it was originally sold to a different company that didn't do much with it, and then Ithaca bought the design rights.
The Ithaca 37 was a Remington 17 that Browning designed in '15. Remington moved on to the 31 & Ithaca grabbed the 17 design.

JMB died in '26 while working on the Hi-Power design. Another designer who's name escapes me finished the Hi-Power.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21

Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
I bought a Browning Challenger 6" bbl. .22 LR new in 1968, made in Belgium. I also bought a new Browning 4" bbl. for it, (Carries a little handier out in the field in a Bianchi holster.) plus two extra Browning factory magazines. Still have the box and papers. It is a tack driver. Never had one bit of problem with it. Browning, Colt, S&W, Ruger ... I like 'em all. grin

L.W.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Ithaca 37 was a Remington 17 that Browning designed in '15. Remington moved on to the 31 & Ithaca grabbed the 17 design.

JMB died in '26 while working on the Hi-Power design. Another designer who's name escapes me finished the Hi-Power.

Wasn't it John's son?
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Wasn't it John's son?

Dieudonné Saive at FN
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Run don't walk as fast as you can away from any Browning A Bolt...POS
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21

I would say there's more "mystique" to a lot of makers, including the aforementioned Winchester and Colt names, as well as Smith and Wesson, than there is to Browning. Browning is mol a "modern" gun brand as opposed to the others. The brand has a reputation for quality firearms. Kimber has the same rep. Not much "mystique" to it.
Posted By: Rambler214 Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
As said above, Browning designed the Remington model 17. Beautiful little shotgun. 5.75#. Everything I love about the Woodsman applies to the 17 as well. Ithaca stole the design and waited for the patents to expire, but made cost cutting changes to it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The other designer was an employee at FN. I also forgot his name. But he was working with John Browning on it when Browning died.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
"Hey, it's a Browning." Is Colt anywhere close to Browning in that regard?

I think their name recognition are about the same
Did Browning ever make a poor firearm?
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Grizz:

Before I knew any better, I accumulated a small cohort of Browning A-bolt 1 and 2's; calibers range from .22 to .375 H&H.

I'm not denigrating anyone or dismissing their experiences with A-bolts that differ from my own, and I know that for myriad reasons the A-bolts aren't everyone's cup of tea; I'm just sharing my experiences with them. Over the past 25 years, I have shot many thousands of rounds through A-bolts, have taken them on a lot of hunts that encompass a lot of different country, have loaned them out to friends and acquaintances for hunts and trials, and have yet to experience the first problem of any sort with one. Some of my A-bolts were bought second hand and were well used and ill cared for before coming my way.

I mostly started in them because they had a good assortment of left hand offerings and because I really like their tang safety that locks the bolt down. I do a lot of upland hunting with O/U shotguns, and taking tang safeties on and off has become a near unconscious evolution for me. I kept buying them because of the safety arrangement in reference, the low bolt throw, the floor plate mounted clip, and the high level of out of the box accuracy I've experienced with them.

I now have a lot of different bolt action rifles from a number of manufacturers, but I still do a lot of hunting and shooting with A-bolts. To me, they (now the X bolt) still present a good option for a person who wants to buy a gun, scope it, and expect very good out of the box accuracy and function with minimal added accoutrements and/or gunsmith processing. I've handled some of the newer X-bolt pro's and hells canyons, and they've shot and functioned exceedingly well right out of box.

But, perhaps I'm missing something? It has happened a time or two before.

Some say the A-Bolt fits the bill.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21

AB3 is quite the Piece-o-[bleep]
Recoiless was stillborn
Newer T-Bolts aren't great
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
If all I had was an Abolt to hunt with , I wouldn’t be real mad.
Posted By: poboy Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
I am partial to Browning Hi-Powers.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21
Model 2000.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Colt, and Browning? - 02/28/21

In Japan, they call it A-bort.
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Run don't walk as fast as you can away from any Browning A Bolt...POS

I've not had bad experiences with A-Bolt rifles.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
Ya, I got a thing for Colts, An AR, 1911's, Snakes guns, 1860 Army, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Gen. SAA and a Colt reproduction Dragoon. I also have a Browning A-Bolt, left hand short action 7mm-08 with a BOSS, usually wins the Turkey Shoots on site-in days.
One of my Colt SAA's was sent to the Browning Brothers Gun Shop in Ogden Utah in 1920, when John Browning was still alive, always wondered if he handled the gun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
John Browning and Samuel Colt were both very innovative men in their time, and both changed the forward progression of both this country and the world. There is a lot of mystique it both of their names.
They were indeed legends.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21

I dont know had an a bolt....killed alot of stuff with it......whats to say it was a poor firearm......bob
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
a Colt....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

a Browning....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
Snazzy pics, sweet guns!
John Browning and Samuel Colt were both very innovative men in their time, and both changed the forward progression of both this country and the world. There is a lot of mystique it both of their names.

Yep. Colt wasn't so much a gun designer as idea man. He came up with some original ideas for self-indexing revolving pistols (cocking the hammer also turned and repositioned the cylinder to align a fresh chamber with the barrel), based on how he saw certain machinery on steamboats operate, then hired gunsmiths to turn them into real working revolvers. Browning, on the other hand, was both an idea man and a gunsmith who could literally transform an idea of his own for a gun into an actual working gun with his own two hands.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21

Yep. Colt wasn't so much a gun designer as idea man. He came up with some original ideas for self-reciprocating revolving pistols (cocking the hammer also turned and repositioned the cylinder to align a fresh chamber with the barrel), based on how he saw certain machinery on steamboats operate, then hired gunsmiths to turn them into real working revolvers. Browning, on the other hand, was both an idea man and a gunsmith who could literally transform an idea for a gun into an actual working gun with his own two hands.

J.M. Browning actually made wooden functioning, non-firing of course, models of his lever guns for the Patent Office. I think both men were over the top human beings and innovators, but I don't think the Browning firearms ever took a slide in manufacturing quality that some Colt's have over the years, at least in respect with some of the 1911 pistols which by coincidence were John Browning designed. For a few years, the Colt 1911 was a very loose fitted handgun. Some of this was by original design and some by slacking standards.
Posted By: DMc Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21

Thought the Browning .380 - 4” was somewhat crappy. Think it was called the Model 10/71 if memory serves.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
If you're talking about the BDA .380, that was a Beretta design. BDA .45's were Sig P220's.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
Never had an issue with mine, and other than the Abolt .22lr gold medallion, all have been very accurate out of the box. The .30-06 shoots bug holes with 150’s and 4064 and so does the B78 22-250 with 52’s and 4064.
Originally Posted by MOGC
If you're talking about the BDA .380, that was a Beretta design. BDA .45's were Sig P220's.
Right. Browning was just the importer.
Never had an issue with mine, and other than the Abolt .22lr gold medallion, all have been very accurate out of the box. The .30-06 shoots bug holes with 150’s and 4064 and so does the B78 22-250 with 52’s and 4064.

Those are beautiful rifles.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
I once owned a B78 octagon barrel 6mm Remington. It was extremely accurate and just a beautiful rifle all around. The only issue was the trigger. It would literally lock up and cease to operate and fire.
Posted By: DMc Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by MOGC

Found a picture on GB

It's called a Browning 10/71 .380 Auto, circa 1971

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892374669
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
Wabi...As usual, the thread took a left turn at Albuquerque.

You are thinking of buying a nice .22LR semi-auto pistol, and you asked if there would be any "value added" to any such gun by virtue of a famous brand name. The answer is a simple, "Yes."

In that kind of pistol, there is a premium price for classics from Colt, Browning, High Standard, Walther, and even S&W. Pretty much in that order, actually. But as far as quality, accuracy, reliability, and availability of parts, you'd be more than thrilled with a Ruger Mk II or a Browning Buck Mark, both still in production here in the US, as far as I know.

Parts for a Colt, High Standard or a S&W might be hard to come by, they all being long discontinued.

You can pay extra for the "mystique" or save a bit to buy ammo with a totally indestructible Ruger. Or a bit of both with a Buck Mark.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Colt, and Browning? - 03/01/21
That's fine Rock, just wondering. Things do change with time.
© 24hourcampfire