Home
Someone left a car on my property. The plates were on it so I figured it had broke down. Now someone stripped the plates and left it unlocked. Took all personal information from glovebox. It’s a late model Ford Fusion. What should/ can I do with it??
Set it on fire
File a report with local LE.
Do not touch anything.
Call your sheriff.
Terminal ballistics testing.
Probably call a tow company. I bought a house with an abandoned van on it and couldn't get it towed without filing for a lien title. Somehow the wind blew it onto the shoulder of the road and the county towed it laugh
Around here if they slap a sticker on it and nobody picks it up after a few days anyone can tow it and apply for a title on it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Call your sheriff.

That'd be my plan.
Seems like there are a lot of folks who would rejoice over the acquisition of a free lawn adornment.
Scrapyard would buy it.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Scrapyard would buy it.

Theft by Conversion
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Criminal damage to property
Contact LE, if they don't want to deal with it. Have it towed.
Question was what can be done, not what should.
Scrapyard would buy it.

not without a title.
Drag and leave it beside the road.. let the county/state take care of it and the owner.
Fun clip. Is there a bad odor coming from the trunk? Be Well, RZ.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Scrapyard would buy it.

not without a title.

Yup, loser basura blanca dude across the road has one he claims he can't get rid of because of title issues.
Call Law Enforcement to make sure it's not stolen. If it's not call a tow company of your choice and have it towed away.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Scrapyard would buy it.

Theft by Conversion

I bet you're a lot of fun at a party.
Think dynamite and whale but substitute tannerite and Fusion.
Originally Posted by mirage243
Scrapyard would buy it.

Theft by Conversion

17 years as a Probation officer working on my people skills and cherubic disposition laugh
part it out and have whats left taken to the crusher
You need to watch more Whistlin Diesel, Demolition Ranch, and Kentucky Ballistics videos...
Ahh ... Light at the end of the funnel !
Let the law handle it, Im sure it was ditched for a reason
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Fun clip. Is there a bad odor coming from the trunk? Be Well, RZ.

Fellow that I worked with found a burned out car on one of his farms. There was body in the trunk. Another fellow I worked with was on the jury for one of the killers trial.... pretty gruesome evidence to view from what he said.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Drag and leave it beside the road.. let the county/state take care of it and the owner.

This, don't let anyone local know it came from your property
I knew a guy who had that happen...cops useless. He got pissed off, hooked a chain on it...towed it down the road, left it on a public highway. Highway dept hauled it away within 30 hours. Before that, after filing a report with cops, it sat for 6 months with no action.
File an intent to auction with DMV. They notify last known owner snd lien holder, if no response in 21 days file another form (In Virginia a VSA40) wait 15 more days. And you can either file for a title in your name or sell it.

Just did it for 20+ vehicles.

Had an abandoned one twice on jobs. Called cops and they said it’s on private property, not our problem. First one drug it in the street and left it. Second one took a forklift and “moved” it to a corner of the property. It disappeared a week later.
Plastic bumpers don’t hold up well to a telehandler.
Scrapyard would buy it.

Theft by Conversion

17 years as a Probation officer working on my people skills and cherubic disposition laugh

You may know some people I know, I got friends in Ga 😁😁
Not sure your state laws. But you can go through steps to acquire the vehicle if you want it. It includes courts, public notices, etc. Pain in the ass.

Buddy in anchorage had a suburban abandoned on his property from a prior renter. He went through the process and got the title. In the back was a frame, engine and gas tank for a nice Harley panhead.

If you don't want the vehicle. Call Leo's, they won't do anything, drag it off your property
File a report with the police/sheriffs office then go to DMV and see what the law allows you to do. I had a similar situation and all I needed to do was put a note on the vehicle stating that it was parked on private property and would be towed if not removed in 72 hours. After the 72 hours passed, I found a tow/scrap company that wanted it and they hauled it off. The tow/scrap company has the right to put a lien on the vehicle and apply for title. Good luck.
Originally Posted by ryoushi
File a report with the police/sheriffs office then go to DMV and see what the law allows you to do. I had a similar situation and all I needed to do was put a note on the vehicle stating that it was parked on private property and would be towed if not removed in 72 hours. After the 72 hours passed, I found a tow/scrap company that wanted it and they hauled it off. The tow/scrap company has the right to put a lien on the vehicle and apply for title. Good luck.

^^^This^^^

Around here, the Wrecker Company’s will pick them up for free. Then they put a lien on the vehicle and apply for a title.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I knew a guy who had that happen...cops useless. He got pissed off, hooked a chain on it...towed it down the road, left it on a public highway. Highway dept hauled it away within 30 hours. Before that, after filing a report with cops, it sat for 6 months with no action.

This looks like my solution. I’m not paying to have it towed. I’m not paying for schit. Cops don’t give a fuq. It’s just so out in the open that I don’t want to become a bad guy.
Tannerite, but check trunk for body
Scrapyard would buy it.

Theft by Conversion

You may know some people I know, I got friends in Ga 😁😁

Cue the music, You've got friends in low places....
part it out and sell it on flea-bay.
Hot wire it and drive it like you stole it!!
Go park it in a no parking zone laugh
Sail it.

Dimocraps would chootit.
Sail it.

Dimocraps would chootit.
Give it to your MIL.
Originally Posted by GeoW

Often, if the car is on private property, unless it is stolen, it is the responsibility of the property owner to deal with it.

Public property the county/city will deal with it.
Originally Posted by WTM45
File a report with local LE.
Do not touch anything.

That!
Race car
I had a someone dump an old ski boat on my hunting place. Really looks good next the oak tree. We see everything from mattresses, couches, tvs, yard debris/limbs, shingles. I hate it.
Cash for Clunkers!?!?!?!
Originally Posted by Toddly
Someone left a car on my property. The plates were on it so I figured it had broke down. Now someone stripped the plates and left it unlocked. Took all personal information from glovebox. It’s a late model Ford Fusion. What should/ can I do with it??

It still has a VIN plate. Call LE. As soon as they blow you off drag it into the nearest public street.
Originally Posted by Scout308
Call Law Enforcement to make sure it's not stolen. If it's not call a tow company of your choice and have it towed away.

They do that for free, right?
My son found out that the owner is responsible for your car even it’s stolen in the state of Washington. His jeep blew a rod and he got it into a parking lot. 12 hour later it was gone. He filed a police report 3 mouths later a Sheriff Deputy shows up and give him paperwork to make him remove it from a farmers field. The next he,the Deputy go to the field and the thing has been stripped and burned . The farmer wants it gone! As my son and Deputy returned to their car my son saw a Jeep hood the same color as his in the barn. The Deputy gets a warrant and they find all the rest of the removed parts. Part of farmer and his sons court deal was my son was paid for his jeep and they had to get rid of it!
Originally Posted by clintsfolly
My son found out that the owner is responsible for your car even it’s stolen in the state of Washington. His jeep blew a rod and he got it into a parking lot. 12 hour later it was gone. He filed a police report 3 mouths later a Sheriff Deputy shows up and give him paperwork to make him remove it from a farmers field. The next he,the Deputy go to the field and the thing has been stripped and burned . The farmer wants it gone! As my son and Deputy returned to their car my son saw a Jeep hood the same color as his in the barn. The Deputy gets a warrant and they find all the rest of the removed parts. Part of farmer and his sons court deal was my son was paid for his jeep and they had to get rid of it!

If that would have been me that farmers barn would have got to warm about 6 months after that was all over.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Scrapyard would buy it.

not without a title.

When the price of steel is high, that title stuff becomes less important.

Right to the crusher it goes.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Toddly

It still has a VIN plate. Call LE. As soon as they blow you off drag it into the nearest public street.

If you don't want it to become more of a problem for you than it already is, this is the only rational thing to do. Only to add, that when you call law enforcement, it would not be a bad idea to already have the vin available. In most state, it's illegal to abandon a vehicle. If you provide them the vin, right over the phone, they can, without going anywhere, determine the last registered owner of the vehicle and go after them. You've got a lot better chance of it being resolved in a timely fashion than if they have to send someone out to investigate.
Before you call LEOs

kill a chicken and sprinkle some blood around on the seats and stuff. Go to the range and pick up some relatively shiny 9mm brass (Not YOURS!) and toss a couple or three on the floorboards. Maybe find a dead critter to put in the trunk for olfactory purposes.

Be careful to not leave any of your prints or DNA around it, other than what might be considered normal for a person finding a vehicle in their yard.

Then call the locals.

Of course, they may rope off a section of your property with crime scene stuff, call out the CSI folks, the news will follow them out there after listening to the scanners.

Maybe that's more attention than you want? But, it would likely get some attention for it.

that was phenomenally stupid on the part of the farmer.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

It's on the owner of the vehicle. I answered many call through the years for the exact same thing. If it had been reported stolen, I did a report and processed it if feasible then notified the owner. If the owner could not show up to retrieve it, I had it towed to our impound. If it wasn't stolen, I told the property owner to have it towed. I never heard anything from the property owners having to pay a tow bill.

Tweakers are typically stupid.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

It's not free, except the the property owner where the vehicle was abandoned.

Thee vehicle's owner can pay towing and impoundment fees plus fines for leaving the vehicle. Or the owner may neglect it, where upon it will eventually become property of the towing service and they can sell it off for salvage parts.

It does not take many $40 headlights or taillights, etc, for the towing company to come out golden.
We have popular spot to park on one of our properties, semi truck drivers take advantage of it alot. Its not far from where I check rifles either. I had to check a 257bee one day and you've never seen a 18 wheeler leave so fast. Usually a car parked there probably every other time I'm out there but no one is ever around. After seeing one car, tags still on it, parked for a couple weeks I just put a Free Car sign on it. Never saw it again. Had another that I called a tow truck on and the dang tow company knew the car and the driver...and tried to tell me the guy wasnt hurting nothing, the guy actually lived about 1/2 mile down the street but liked my spot though.
Buddy owns a big excavation business. Squirrel cop started coming around trying to get a piece of azz off his secretary. Kept parking in the way after being told not too nicely several times.
He threw two steel I’s under his Tahoe and lifted it 90’+/- vertically with a grove RT890 and told him he wouldn’t set it back down til they had an understanding. He agreed not to park there anymore real quick.
Originally Posted by killerv
We have popular spot to park on one of our properties, semi truck drivers take advantage of it alot. Its not far from where I check rifles either. I had to check a 257bee one day and you've never seen a 18 wheeler leave so fast. Usually a car parked there probably every other time I'm out there but no one is ever around. After seeing one car, tags still on it, parked for a couple weeks I just put a Free Car sign on it. Never saw it again. Had another that I called a tow truck on and the dang tow company knew the car and the driver...and tried to tell me the guy wasnt hurting nothing, the guy actually lived about 1/2 mile down the street but liked my spot though.

Hmmmmn?

Free car sign?

I saw one on the back of a mini-van yesterday on the way to the Big Town for an appointment. Wonder if that's why it was on the back window. Someone trying to get it off their property,
© 24hourcampfire