Home
Posted By: mirage243 Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
It's on here in Alabama, last week was fantastic, cold front came through on Sunday and Monday and shut em down a little, they'll fire back up today or tomorrow. 3 of us put 90 in the boat on Saturday in less than 3 hours. When the troll is on, it don't get any better.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Had the crappies yesterday pretty bad. Better now.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

There you go, crapping on my thread. 🤣
Posted By: slumlord Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
I ain’t been in a while. My bud’s third ex-wife took his jon boat in the divorce. My poles and minnow bucket were in it.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by mirage243
It's on here in Alabama, last week was fantastic, cold front came through on Sunday and Monday and shut em down a little, they'll fire back up today or tomorrow. 3 of us put 90 in the boat on Saturday in less than 3 hours. When the troll is on, it don't get any better.

How deep in what water depth, please. Are you talking real slow wiyh an electric trolling motor with jigs under several long rods or trolling with smaller diving crankbaits?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
A bit soon here; we're still in ice-out stages. Only a few lakes open water. Our crappie peak bite is around Mother's Day.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Friends on Toledo Bend are catching some hog Largemouth Bass, one over 12 lbs.

Anytime that the water warms just a few degrees the bass moves to shallower areas. A little cold snap like today pushes them back to deeper water.

You seem to have that problem quite often. wink
GM wink

He seems to do that quite often. wink
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Nope. Still chasing walleye through the ice.
We are still in the pre-spawn pattern. Some very good crappie getting caught on spider rigs.
Even though the lake is very low, the crappie bite has been very good hear for about two weeks. They’re getting them in 15 to 20 feet of water and using red and white jigs. New state record was caught last week. 4lb 4 oz. 17” long.
Oh man, you guys are making me jealous. A bit North of Rocky, we are still a long time from crappie season.

No ice on our crappie lakes, Brownlee, CJ Strike. But the water is still pretty cold.
We had a lot of rain and the water is up at Sardis snd Horse shoe lake . Im ready and plan to get on the water in the next week .
Posted By: TheKid Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Me and the boy have been picking up a bucketful every couple days. They’re still pretty deep and slow. We’re slip corking so we can fish really slow. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by jaguartx

How deep in what water depth, please. Are you talking real slow wiyh an electric trolling motor with jigs under several long rods or trolling with smaller diving crankbaits?

Right now they are in 15' or so, we are trolling jigs at about .9 to 1.1 mph, running 10 or 12 rods at the time. When you really get into them it will work 2 guus to death trying to man that many rods and the trolling motor. Heck of a lot if fun.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
Me and the boy have been picking up a bucketful every couple days. They’re still pretty deep and slow. We’re slip corking so we can fish really slow. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great pic.

Redhead white jig and all.

That is an awesome pic
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Found some males shallow already, the sand bass are doing it right now also. Less than 3 feet of water on the west side of the lake. Sandies in the creek but the run is not full on.

Excellent photo of a darn happy kid with a darn nice fish.

That's a winner right there!

Its still so wet here all my spots are messed up.

Still might give it a try this Friday, they are saying another front coming through Fri afternoon.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Still got 34" ice up here !!

That is a pic of a little bit of heaven.

Nothing better than fishing with Dad.

Right now they are in 15' or so, we are trolling jigs at about .9 to 1.1 mph, running 10 or 12 rods at the time. When you really get into them it will work 2 guus to death trying to man that many rods and the trolling motor. Heck of a lot if fun.

I pay $15/yr extra, just so I can use a 2'nd rod.

Jealous some more.
Posted By: broomd Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Great pic, Kid!....
Wife and I got into a few decent crappie and perch on the ice recently, but that ice is pretty weak now...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The ice just left Truman Lake here in MO. a day or two ago. Another 5-6 weeks they should be on the banks for the spawn.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Jealous some more.

I'm curious about your comment. You have to pay extra to use more than 1 rod?
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Jealous some more.

No sheit? That's communist right there.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21

Boomer, you’re mixing up your species again.

Toilet Trout ain’t crappies.

Gawt what a tool.

😜🦫
Posted By: Morewood Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21

A two rod stamp in California is $16.46 /yr. Add that to a $52.66 annual fishing license.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by Morewood

A two rod stamp in California is $16.46 /yr. Add that to a $52.66 annual fishing license.

Dayum

Jealous some more.

Yes. Idaho, and I am sure Washington and Oregon limit a fisherman to one pole which must be constantly attended. If my grandson is fishing beside me on the river bank, and sits his pole down with the line in the water while he runs up to the camper to grab a sandwich or use the bathroom, I am in violation and subject to fine or perhaps loss of privileges.

Idaho offers a "two pole permit" for $15 which keeps me legal if I pick up the grandkid's pole to straighten a tangle, or bait a hook, or even recast it for them.

The two pole permit also allows me to toss out another line when on the boat trolling.

But I got in the habit of purchasing the permit just to be sure I never ran afoul of a warden when helping the grandkids.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Our resident fishing license here is 15.50, that Cal8fornia is some commumist sheit for sure.
IS, what is daily bag limit on crappie in Idaho?
Idaho fishing license is $30.50 with tags available at extra cost for some species.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21

Our resident fishing license here is 15.50, that Cal8fornia is some commumist sheit for sure.

You'll get no argument from me. It is all bullschit. Gotta pay the "King" if you want to catch "his" fish.

Don't even get me started on hunting licenses and fees.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21

Jealous some more.

Yes. Idaho, and I am sure Washington and Oregon limit a fisherman to one pole which must be constantly attended. If my grandson is fishing beside me on the river bank, and sits his pole down with the line in the water while he runs up to the camper to grab a sandwich or use the bathroom, I am in violation and subject to fine or perhaps loss of privileges.

Idaho offers a "two pole permit" for $15 which keeps me legal if I pick up the grandkid's pole to straighten a tangle, or bait a hook, or even recast it for them.

The two pole permit also allows me to toss out another line when on the boat trolling.

But I got in the habit of purchasing the permit just to be sure I never ran afoul of a warden when helping the grandkids.

And Dayum again, that sux!
[Linked Image]

Caught these in February in 3 foot of water . Fishing jigs real slow .
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
[Linked Image]

Nice haul, wish I'd have took pics of Saturdays catch.
[Linked Image]

There are some fine fillets.

Battered and deep fried?

Sorry, missed this.

No bag or possession limit on crappie, sunfish, bluegill, catfishes, or perch.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21

Sorry, missed this.

No bag or possession limit on crappie, sunfish, bluegill, catfishes, or perch.

It varies on some lakes here in Texas and even the time of the year. Mostly it is 25 fish with a 10" minimum length but there are lakes with 50 fish limits and no minimum length. On some deep lakes in the winter the limit is 50 fish and you have to keep every fish you catch. We also have some very diligent game wardens.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
I haven't started crappie fishing yet.
Fish are still deep here, buddies are catching them at 20 feet and deeper still
Posted By: TheKid Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/03/21
Our limit is 37 per day on public waters. Your own pond you can fish with no license and keep all you want.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
GM wink

He seems to do that quite often. wink

At least I didn't share a picture.... .
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
I did pick up a Jenko Kevin Rodgers jigging pole today, a ten footer. Mixed up a attractant dip for my jigs. Guess I could give up all hunting except coyotes and feral hogs to become a full time fisherman.
[Linked Image]

Dang! Nice.
Posted By: blanket Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Ice still here, some souls still trusting it
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Slow this afternoon, only kept 12, but they were slabs.
Posted By: ribka Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
[Linked Image]

nice!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
They too boney - they too boney
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Filet and cut the ribs out . . . . . .you don't know what the fuqk you're doing.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Filet and cut the ribs out . . . . . .you don't know what the fuqk you're doing.

Truth. Its so easy a caveman could do it, and did.
I fillet the side off with the ribs, then cut the ribs out. Heres another pretty easy way.

Don't think I ever caught crappie, but, I did catch crabs....
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
THe bite slowed down to stop mode in the past week.

Was hot just as the sun went down for about 1-3 hours then again starting at 4am till sun-up, but things seem to have pretty much shut down.

Time to either move the Castle of pull it off the ice completely.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21

Great picture! Better print and put that one in a frame right there. Making memories...
+1
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
I do it almost like the guy in the video except I don't cut through and separate the filet in front of the tail, instead I flip the filet back over the tail and run my knife in between the skin and the meat so I don't have to hold on the edge of the skin to do so. When I am done the part you don't keep is all one piece and goes directly into a trash bag.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I ain’t been in a while. My bud’s third ex-wife took his jon boat in the divorce. My poles and minnow bucket were in it.

I must have missed your post asking for replacements. grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21

Great picture!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A bit soon here; we're still in ice-out stages. Only a few lakes open water. Our crappie peak bite is around Mother's Day.

It was probably in In-Fisherman that I read about fishing for them when the ice is receding. It said that if the edges were open water, to throw a jig out onto the ice and bring it back to drop down the face of the floe. Never had a chance to try it, but it intrigued me.
Originally Posted by rickt300
I do it almost like the guy in the video except I don't cut through and separate the filet in front of the tail, instead I flip the filet back over the tail and run my knife in between the skin and the meat so I don't have to hold on the edge of the skin to do so. When I am done the part you don't keep is all one piece and goes directly into a trash bag.

Same here, but on good sized fish, whether crappie, bass or speckled trout, I keep the ribs and fry them too.

Theres more meat there than one would think and I grew up in scarce times. wink

Sometimes on small bass or speckled trout I scale them and just fillet off the sides and fry with the skin on one side.

How big is that lake, Kid. Does it have big 'gills and catfish?
Posted By: achadwick Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
I wish I was catching crappie. Most of the surface water around here is still in the solid phase. :-(
[Linked Image]

That catch would get me a ticket for sure!
Nice haul.
[Linked Image]

Wow! What part of Tennessee are you in?

Good as it gets right there! My boys are too big to want to go fishing with me any more.
Posted By: RMerta Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21
The bite is on at Larto lake in Louisiana. Spider rigging with shiners. Daily limit 50 per person
Posted By: TheKid Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/04/21

How big is that lake, Kid. Does it have big 'gills and catfish?

It’s a 2acre farm pond Jag. Some big perch and bass in it too. We’re tied up in a nonsense access dispute out at the big flood control pond where we catch the 2 and 3 pound crappie at, maybe we’ll get it ironed out in time to fish them this spring.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/05/21
I caught two males today and a 6 pound bass got off just before I would have had her on shore. It is soon going to be on in my favorite spots.
Posted By: lastround Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/05/21
We won’t get started fishing here for about a month, but you guys are getting me anxious. ShortActionSmoker did cook up a nice bunch of last years fillets for my birthday dinner a few days ago.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/05/21
I would be happy eating cornmeal fried crappie 4 or 5 days a week. They are hard to get here in West Texas.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Anybody Catching Crappie - 03/05/21
I would be happy eating cornmeal fried crappie 4 or 5 days a week. They are hard to get here in West Texas.

No sheit, ain't got no water there.😁

Nice...

Big trout here in a few week. Upper Potomac.

Typical Bay fish in a month or two.

I'm jealous though. Crappie are fantastic.
© 24hourcampfire