Home
Posted By: prplbkrr Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
now been culture cancelled?
Of course not.
Redneck is like cracker.

Those that don't know think it's a terrible insult to certain Whites.

Has always been meant that way too.
Except, Rednecks DGAF what high minded pricks think.
And have embraced it.

Ironic now.
There are Wannabe Redneck.
Just listen to Country Music.
No, listen to the Wannabe Country music.

But, you knew all this.
Posted By: KC Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21

I'm a wannabe redneck. I've always lived in the city. But I always wanted to be a redneck. Spent lots of time in the woods and some time working on ranches and farms. I probably couldn't hack it as a real redneck. I don't listen to mainstream country music but I loves me some bluegrass.

Posted By: norm99 Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
hey they can't take that away from me that easy.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
people call me that occasionally and i take it as a compliment. to me its someone who works with his hands and enjoys country style living and culture over the city. i work city and i live redneck. gotta pay the bills.
It'll never be canceled, you can call a white man anything you want and he'll just shrug it off.

I'm just waiting for the reparations.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21

Originally Posted by rem141r
i live redneck.

Please explain how ya live redneck.
Lol, Snowflakes thinking they're going to insult Rednecks, that's funny!

What drives the fragile Snowflakes nuts is the fact that Rednecks simply don't give a fuqk what they or anyone else thinks about them. Here's a little song for them.

i would rather work outdoors, hunt, fish, grow a garden, can vegetables, smoke meats, forage for mushrooms and ramps. and no i'm not a farmer and never have been. i don't see the term as a pejorative. maybe you do
"Rednecks" by Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80BB0qZoVM
In the NAPA store awhile back when the owner nicely asked where I lived. When I told him his eyes got big and he exclaimed " holy chit, you live back where the rednecks are REAL rednecks !" laugh
ya no offense meant, but i think the folks in west-bygod-va take the redneckin' thing to a whole new level. the appalachias in general. i would probably be considered citified down there.
but i think the folks in west-bygod-va take the redneckin' thing to a whole new level.

laugh crazy

ya!

GWB
Speaking of "There Stands the Glass"

ya!

GWB
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
I'm a redneck and proud of it. It's like a badge of honor to me.... Most people don't even know that the term originated with coal miners in appalacia
ya no offense meant, but i think the folks in west-bygod-va take the redneckin' thing to a whole new level. the appalachias in general. i would probably be considered citified down there.

You’re confusing rednecks with hillbillies. Whole ‘nother thing, as are crackers. Lots of shared qualities, so some confusion is understandable.

When Snowflakes get it wrong, they should be firmly corrected, just as they’d do to someone who mislabelled them as to their gender. Hell, there’s only 56 or so commonly recognized genders, so there’s no excuse for mistakes.
Although the derogatory term was around earlier, it was the red bandana wearing miners in the 1921 Battle of Blair Mountain, in West Virginia, where up to 20,000 coal miners looking for the right to unionize clashed with coal company enforcers, and then with the National Guard that made the term less of a slight and more of badge of honor for folks growing up in Appalachia.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by Jungleland
Although the derogatory term was around earlier, it was the red bandana wearing miners in the 1921 Battle of Blair Mountain, in West Virginia, where up to 20,000 coal miners looking for the right to unionize clashed with coal company enforcers, and then with the National Guard that made the term less of a slight and more of badge of honor for folks growing up in Appalachia.

Exactly...
Interesting. My dictionary dates the term to the 1830s. Someone with a sunburned neck was obviously a working-class schlub.

Similarly, in China, and probably elsewhere in Asia, a dark or yellowish complexion marks the bearer as a “village” person, so likely a rube of sorts.

Wikidiky says the term was used in the late 19th century to describe poor, white farmers who supported the Democrats. Some in Mississippi actually wore red bandanas as early as 1910, so it appears the miners borrowed that device.
Great tune
Posted By: Redneck Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
now been culture cancelled?
I'm still here... laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Of course not.
Redneck is like cracker.

And have embraced it.

Ironic now.

But, you knew all this.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I was called a cracker.. not in the brotherly or endearing way. smile
For a long time before the oil spill, our little slice of gulf coast had the nickname redneck riviera. Folks from across the southeast would converge here for a week or 2 every summer and blow it out, southern style. Wasn't much here then, just a few bars, fried seafood joints, sugar white sand, and spectacular fishing.

Every year, there was a pilgrimage of sorts on the 4th of July. Every other redneck in the state would converge on the coast for fireworks. They literally came out of the "woodworks". A real slice of Alabama, if you dare. It was awesome.

BP changed all that. Real rednecks don't fit in very well now. They aren't much on 2 hr. waits to eat farm raised fish from Asia. I don't get it either. Rich folks come here and want the same phuggin' fish they are used to eating at Red Lobster or Captain D's.
i would rather work outdoors, hunt, fish, grow a garden, can vegetables, smoke meats, forage for mushrooms and ramps. and no i'm not a farmer and never have been. i don't see the term as a pejorative. maybe you do

This. Redneck is a state of mind an attitude and life philosophy we embrace, along with women.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Of course not.
Redneck is like cracker.

And have embraced it.

Ironic now.

But, you knew all this.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I was called a cracker.. not in the brotherly or endearing way. smile

DeFlave embraces that. wink
Around here we've dropped the Red, we just call each other Necks
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Of course not.
Redneck is like cracker.

And have embraced it.

Ironic now.

But, you knew all this.

DeFlave embraces that. wink

Doc, So do I. It's a term of endearment amongst Florida natives. But, most of the times I've been called that, it wasn't an endearing situation.

Got suspended from the Marlin Owners forum for using it. I've long since tired of that place. I think the admins are KA commies. smile
I've got a rifle, a shotgun, and a four wheel drive...

The term came from hard working light skinned men and women who labored outside in the hot sunshine. From that, they got red necks and earned the title of the word.

Truth.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Redneck is a badge of honor and we DGAF what the jigaboo's and their lovers think.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_20200806_153125.jpg
Originally Posted by Jungleland

Appreciate the reference to the Battle of Blair Mountain. Was not aware of that factoid. My maternal grandfather, and my wife's maternal grandfather, were both coal miners within about 50 miles of Blair Mountain.

Have never been ashamed to be called a "redneck". Have always considered it a compliment, especially when coming from certain high-browed individuals... I think there are other pejoratives that are considered "compliments" in other parts of the country as well. "RCA" comes to mind...
Posted By: gunzo Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Posted By: greydog Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
As I sit here, with bacon sizzling on the stove, I look out my dining room window and I a wood shed with a bunch of antlers on the roof, a stack of tires, an old wheelbarrow, and a 1986 Dodge pickup on blocks. Out the living room window I can see five more trucks, three cars and a tractor. The dog is sleeping on the table on the deck. It occurs to me; I may be a redneck. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
As I sit here, with bacon sizzling on the stove, I look out my dining room window and I a wood shed with a bunch of antlers on the roof, a stack of tires, an old wheelbarrow, and a 1986 Dodge pickup on blocks. Out the living room window I can see five more trucks, three cars and a tractor. The dog is sleeping on the table on the deck. It occurs to me; I may be a redneck. GD

Apprentice Redneck.

No appliances ??

Shame.

Greydog, that's all well and good, but if you do not have an old, dilapidated wringer washing machine standing out on the front porch, along with a couple of black-'n-tan coon hounds asleep near your porch rocking chair ... well, you're just not a real redneck. grin

L.W.
Posted By: Bry Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
I prefer to be called a hick, thank you. Kinda red neck light if you will.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
A true redneck would make things from the antler, plant the wheel barrow full of weeds, fix and drive the pickup, and kick the dog under the porch!
i have a pile of old appliances out back that are shot full of holes. but i drive a subaru so...

kind of like yuppy in the front, redneck in the back.

My wife's boss went to Lehigh University, down East.

He told how all the kids from there and Jersey called him
a hick. When a few came home with him on weekends, (in town Bedford)
They really busted his chops.

Here's the good part.

He had to explain that in school he was always kinda looked down
on as one of "The City Kids".

Local Dirt,
at least you are in the right place to be called a Cracker.

Recently it's become fashionable in Cumberland MD for
a certain group, pushing a certain agenda, to use that when
trying to cause issues with...another group.

Dumbasses don't even know what a Cracker is.
But I know what they are.
And it ain't REDneck.
i have a pile of old appliances out back that are shot full of holes. but i drive a subaru so...

You're lacking in creativity. Shoot the Subaru.
I'm not a redneck. I'm white trash who went to college. Anyone who calls me a redneck to my face gets corrected.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

You're lacking in creativity. Shoot the Subaru.

i had one with a bad knock that i used as a stump buggy but then somebody offered me $600 for it so i let it go. this one is too nice to shoot up just yet.
Posted By: greydog Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Greydog, that's all well and good, but if you do not have an old, dilapidated wringer washing machine standing out on the front porch, along with a couple of black-'n-tan coon hounds asleep near your porch rocking chair ... well, you're just not a real redneck. grin

L.W.

Does a hot water tank count? GD
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/06/21
Originally Posted by KC

I'm a wannabe redneck. I've always lived in the city. But I always wanted to be a redneck. Spent lots of time in the woods and some time working on ranches and farms. I probably couldn't hack it as a real redneck. I don't listen to mainstream country music but I loves me some bluegrass.

KC , you're a western redneck - seriously - you're a redneck
Posted By: maddog Re: Has the term Redneck...... - 03/07/21
Grew up on a farm. Hauled pig shiit, and picked up rocks. Castrated/vaccinated hogs, bailed hay, for DAD. Have coon hunted, trapped, hunted big game and small game all around the country. Have lived in small town/rural America, all my life. Spent 46 yrs. selling seed to farmers, in the mid west.

Yep, I'm an Indiana Redneck, and damned proud of it!! grin
The reason I started this thread..... I replied to meme on another site "redneck engineering at its finest" , and the word redneck was bleeped.

Rednecks don't care if they're called rednecks.
© 24hourcampfire