Home
Posted By: bobski any va residents here? - 03/06/21
lets talk new stupid laws.
basically, there are no more face to face private transfers of guns as of last june.
fine.
now, in order for me to buy a gun from someone else in va....whats the next step?
im being told that gun dealers cant even do private transfers unless their business is on an authorized state police list of dealers.

who has that list?
getting thru to state police is impossible. (mailbox full) then a hang up.
anyone hear have a link or would cut/paste it here or pm it to me?
lmk

next...set for june 2021, state police require people to submit for a state background check thru them (before) approaching a dealer to do a transfer? true false?
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
I recently sold a rifle to another VA resident. We went to a gun shop that I have had many transfers done before. They simply logged the rifle in their A&D book coming from me, then the buyer filled out the normal paperwork and the transfer was done. I think any FFL holder can do this, it's nothing special.

As for your last question, the background check goes through the state police, never heard of pre-applying.
Posted By: bobski Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
I tried to do that, but the dealers i used for years, told me that only a dealer from the authorized list can do it now.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
Wife just told me this morning she has to have her kayak registered to kayak on a county lake
Posted By: 358WCF Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
Yeah & wishing I'd gone to Tennessee or WV instead for this last move. The stupidity in Richmond just keeps on rollin'.

Hadn't heard about the pre-approval thing yet. I wonder if a CCW permit counts as pre-approval?
Posted By: smokinggun Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
What part of VA are you in? There's a guy here in Chesterfield, Sonny's Transfers that can handle your transaction and I'm pretty sure it only costs $17.

I've been here my whole life and have watched things slowly change to what we have now, it sure ain't what it used to be. I'm about ready for a change.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
The stupidity in Richmond just keeps on rollin'.

Ain't that the truth...
Posted By: MPat70 Re: any va residents here? - 03/06/21
Brother-in-law is in the Navy stationed in VA. He was just told yesterday that they are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm on or off base even in civilian housing that they use the BAQ for!!!
Posted By: bobski Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
guy I want to buy the gun from lives in midlohtian, I live in Suffolk.
we are both private sellers/buyers.
he wants to charge me 50 bucks to ship it 60 miles to bobs gun and tackle in Norfolk, where they will charge me 17.00 for a transfer, then 35 for a background.
we are trying to save shipping crap and do it up near him.
I just called moates, he doesn't do p-t-p transfers. and get this........either does GREENTOP!
how far is sonnys from Midlothian?
got a phone and email? directions?
fyi, odds are, this will be the last gun deal in state i'll be doing. been here since 85. time to move.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
Sounds like infringement to me.

Any dealer should be allowed to do that transfer.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like infringement to me.

Any dealer should be allowed to do that transfer.

ALMOST LIKE... any citizen should be allowed to pump their own gas?
Posted By: smokinggun Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by bobski
he wants to charge me 50 bucks to ship it 60 miles to bobs gun and tackle in Norfolk, where they will charge me 17.00 for a transfer, then 35 for a background.
I just called moates, he doesn't do p-t-p transfers. and get this........either does GREENTOP!

Sonnys Guns and Transfers

Sonny does a lot of transfers at his house. He doesn’t have a very bubbly personality but the price is right and in a good spot for you. Depending on which part of Midlothian, he’s probably around 15minutes or less away. Also, Sonny’s is between you and Midlothian so that should help you a little.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by bobski

It’s been a long time since I was in Bobs. Good memories when they handled the higher end stuff. My USA made 10X suit came from that store along with a Remington 700 BDL Classic in 7mm mag. COuldn’t afford anything there until I got my divorce.
Is it not possible to pick a spot some where in the middle and just meet him?

Va Beach is no better for stupid,my son has not lived there in over 3 years and they still send stuff trying to get him to pay for the privilege of having a ride in VA.
hey texas...you didn't get the memo. va doesn't allow face to face anymore as of last summer.
I have a call into sonnys.
Posted By: 16bore Re: any va residents here? - 03/07/21
“im being told that gun dealers cant even do private transfers unless their business is on an authorized state police list of dealers.”

Huh? Never heard of this. Some dealers don’t do transfers, whether private or if you want to buy something and have it shipped to the store.

So you’re saying there’s an additional stipulation from the State Police for private sellers?
Posted By: bobski Re: any va residents here? - 03/22/21
yup.........
Posted By: Raeford Re: any va residents here? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by smokinggun
What part of VA are you in? There's a guy here in Chesterfield, Sonny's Transfers that can handle your transaction and I'm pretty sure it only costs $17.

I've been here my whole life and have watched things slowly change to what we have now, it sure ain't what it used to be. I'm about ready for a change.

This^^^^^
No idea of how to help the OP[other than the fact that my LGS can do them but I'm in western VA].
Posted By: Pugs Re: any va residents here? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by MPat70
Brother-in-law is in the Navy stationed in VA. He was just told yesterday that they are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm on or off base even in civilian housing that they use the BAQ for!!!

No chance. Someone is misinterpreting or taking liberties with a regulation (not surprised these days). On base housing they can regulate but zero legal standing off base and a JAG will jerk them back into alignment quickly.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: any va residents here? - 03/22/21
I’m in western VA and haven’t bought anything since the stupid law. I wonder how often it’s just being ignored.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: any va residents here? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I’m in western VA and haven’t bought anything since the stupid law. I wonder how often it’s just being ignored.

Just call your local FFL guy and ask. It aint hard.
© 24hourcampfire