Home
I have 3 Simply Rugged holsters which are GREAT. Since I am ooking for a "chest" holster to carry hunting, I thought I would give them a call concerning the one they have, i.e. the Chesty Puller. After identifying myself as a very pleased prior customer to Mr. Rob Leahy the owner, I started to ask my questions. He stopped me and very rudely and abruptly told me " After you buy my holster, I don't care what you do to it". I again tried to ask about the holster-strap fasteners, to which he replied, "Told you, I don't care". I thanked him and hung up.

Maybe the $175.00, holster and accessories, wasn't enough of a purchase for him to be concerned about, but Simply Rugged and Rob can be assured they need not be concerned about my purchases in the future.

In my book, Rude customer interaction equates to NO sales now or in the future.

Just thought Campfirers ought to know.
No doubt. What a colossal jerk. You would think the owner of a company would be willing to answer questions about his products. All he had to do is provide you with the information you requested and make a few recommendations and you likely would have posted your positive experience. Instead, the owner of Simply Rugged now has alienated many potential customers.

What a moron. He's probably a Marxist as well.
Or maybe he was just grumpy that day. Or the OP isn't giving an accurate retelling of the whole conversation?

Regardless, seems a bit drama queenish. As long as the product is solid and worth the coin, I don't see the issue.
send Him a link to this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.leahy.3
or I can if you want?
My GP100 holster he made is freaking awesome.

I don't wanna be his friend, I do, however, want an awesome holster once in a while.
Have a look at the Diamond D holsters.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster
Or consider the El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster

https://epsaddlery.com/?s=1942&post_type=product
diamond d is superior in my opinion. and i have both. when i called dd about something the guy was very helpful and friendly.
I have never had a bad experience with Simply Rugged and started buying their holsters while they were still operating out of Alaska. The last 2 experiences I had with EL Paso Saddlery on the other hand were not so good, long waits, no response to inquiries, etc.
I haven't bought any more holsters from El Paso Saddlery since 2017. Mine took a few weeks (6?) but I didn't try to contact them in the interim, either.
It's been probably 12 years since I bought a holster and ammo pouch from Simply Rugged, but he seemed like a really nice guy. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Some things are just hard to understand.
Have your wife call him.

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Or maybe he was just grumpy that day. Or the OP isn't giving an accurate retelling of the whole conversation?

Regardless, seems a bit drama queenish. As long as the product is solid and worth the coin, I don't see the issue.

Hmm... I can't agree. I don't care how bad of a day any owner or representative in customer service is having. If I get treated badly, I'm not rewarding their behavior by helping line their pockets and keep them in business, especially so if the person owns the company. There's enough crappy CS out there already, and letting people get away with that kind of arrogance, lack of civility and lousy treatment does nothing to curb it. Quite the opposite, I think. I don't expect anyone to kiss my ass, ever, or even that they seem appreciative of my business (though that never hurts). I do draw the line at rudeness, however.

If there is a story behind the OPs that he's leaving out, then that could change my tune for sure, but assuming he was telling the truth, that's more than enough for me to decide to never patronize Mr. Leahy's business.

There was a guy that owned a LGS called 'Big Al's' in Seabrook, NH that I went into years ago. I had a couple grand in my pocket that was burning a hole and I was ready to spend. I went in and looked around and saw a few things that interested me. Three, in fact. I asked to see them and each time Al would mumble under his breath and look upset, like I was taking his valuable time away from him by asking to see things. I kept my mouth shut, and kept window shopping. I really liked three of his long guns and added up they totaled $2100 and change. I then asked him if he'd be willing to take $2K for the three. The guy blew his top and started ranting and raving about how everyone that walks through the door wants to scalp him and he was sick of it, and that he'd take one of the guns on the wall and blow his own brains out before selling a single one for even a penny less than what he had it advertised for. I told him that was fine, and not to worry, as I'd never step darken the doorstep of his establishment again, and never did.

Years later I heard he did in fact off himself, right there in his shop. Oh, well.
Well, there you have it folks.

Great story L, sad sad ending.
Man, that doesn't sound like Rob at all but then I was not part of the conversation. He has always been polite and professional when I have dealt with him and visited with him in person and he has provided leather gear for people like my kids who serve in the military at no charge.
Maybe the OP has a squeaky-whiney voice.

That chit gets under skin too.

Maybe not. Just throwing that out there.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Maybe the OP has a squeaky-whiney voice.

That chit gets under skin too.

Maybe not. Just throwing that out there.

Or rambles like Joe Biden.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Hmm... I can't agree. I don't care how bad of a day any owner or representative in customer service is having. If I get treated badly, I'm not rewarding their behavior by helping line their pockets and keep them in business, especially so if the person owns the company. There's enough crappy CS out there already, and letting people get away with that kind of arrogance, lack of civility and lousy treatment does nothing to curb it. Quite the opposite, I think. I don't expect anyone to kiss my ass, ever, or even that they seem appreciative of my business (though that never hurts). I do draw the line at rudeness, however.

If there is a story behind the OPs that he's leaving out, then that could change my tune for sure, but assuming he was telling the truth, that's more than enough for me to decide to never patronize Mr. Leahy's business.

I don't disagree that I appreciate cordial service. And I too have sworn off businesses that I felt didn't warrant my patronage based on how I was treated.

But I wouldn't come online and mutherfugk a by all accounts reputable holster maker because he was rude to me on the phone.

Now if I went into a restaurant and had a shidty server, or a repair shop with azzhole's at the front desk then yes.

I've not reason to discount the tale as told up front either. Based on the original post, that wouldn't keep me from buying from Simply Rugged, I would simply look at their offerings and if they had something I wanted or needed I'd buy it after asking around for input from other end users.

YMMV
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

There was a guy that owned a LGS called 'Big Al's' in Seabrook, NH that I went into years ago. I had a couple grand in my pocket that was burning a hole and I was ready to spend. I went in and looked around and saw a few things that interested me. Three, in fact. I asked to see them and each time Al would mumble under his breath and look upset, like I was taking his valuable time away from him by asking to see things. I kept my mouth shut, and kept window shopping. I really liked three of his long guns and added up they totaled $2100 and change. I then asked him if he'd be willing to take $2K for the three. The guy blew his top and started ranting and raving about how everyone that walks through the door wants to scalp him and he was sick of it, and that he'd take one of the guns on the wall and blow his own brains out before selling a single one for even a penny less than what he had it advertised for. I told him that was fine, and not to worry, as I'd never step darken the doorstep of his establishment again, and never did.

Years later I heard he did in fact off himself, right there in his shop. Oh, well.

that sounds like a local guy that was around here. he bought a successful little LGS that i had been going to for years and buying ammo and various things. i bought a 870 supermag from the original owner even though he was 40 or so bucks higher than dicks sporting goods. and he did several ffl transfers for me and we would bs. when the new guy took over, he was an obnoxious loudmouth and always seemed pissed off. his gun selection went to schit and his prices went sky high. i had him do an ffl transfer for me and he charged me 40 bucks. and this was 15 or so years ago. and this was with him being the receiving party. all he had to do was lift the box onto the counter and enter the info into his books. he then proceeded to tell me that i had bought a POS that wasn't worth what i paid and was extolling the virtues of some plastic stocked thing he had. meanwhile mine was a well weathered 75 y/o remington model 14r carbine. when i tried to tell him what it was and that i collected them, he didn't want to hear it. i certainly didn't get a deal, especially after the 40 buck ffl fee but it was worth it to me. after that experience i never darkened his doorway again. he lasted about 2 or 3 more years and the place is now a smoke shop. i ended up redoing the 14 and it now looks fantastic and given the time elapsed since, it is probably worth twice what i have in it.

I don't disagree that I appreciate cordial service. And I too have sworn off businesses that I felt didn't warrant my patronage based on how I was treated.

But I wouldn't come online and mutherfugk a by all accounts reputable holster maker because he was rude to me on the phone.

Now if I went into a restaurant and had a shidty server, or a repair shop with azzhole's at the front desk then yes.

I've not reason to discount the tale as told up front either. Based on the original post, that wouldn't keep me from buying from Simply Rugged, I would simply look at their offerings and if they had something I wanted or needed I'd buy it after asking around for input from other end users.

YMMV

My mileage varies about as much as yours, I'd say, and I think we look at things about the same on this one. The wild card is of course, the source. Not that I have any reason to doubt him, but since I don't know the man, well, anything's possible. As some other recent threads have shown... wink
He might have just had something in his life happen and was in no mood to talk, never know you might have just caught him at a really bad time. I'd wait a couple of days and try again.
rob has that chesty puller rig that fits his holsters. i bought it after i did the holsters with no issue.
he lives in a little town near my home town and has an excellent reputation.
Talked to Rob on Monday in regards to an odd ball S&W J-frame that wasn't listed on his site. Nothing but helpful. Ordered it Tuesday with my phone. Had to call back cause the order would not process right. Talked with a different guy. No issue.
You can bet your ass I won'r risk buying anything from him. Wait, can he make bicycle mounted holsters?
Originally Posted by BLRNut
I have 3 Simply Rugged holsters which are GREAT. Since I am looking for a "chest" holster to carry hunting.

The other guy isn't worth my time to comment on since
I've got no dog in the fight.

Here's another option. Sam Andrews took many, MANY hours to show his customers at numerous times HOW he makes his holsters. I've not bought one, but have seen them and would go with him from what I have.

I make my own holsters for various weapons, and my next will be exotic skin variations.

This is what I have done. You can too.
Go to the channel...Hank Strange channel.
Don't mind the strange mohawk.......... he's strange. He just does the interview. Andrews does all of the work. Maybe it would be a comparison. Check out the different skins. If nothing else, they are interesting.
Then search the channel, key word "shoulder holster".
Tells us what you think.
This will be a start.

I've had a couple of pleasant conversations with Rob, so my experience was good. But have no idea what another's was as I wasn't there.

A classic case of; YMMV.

Now, if the vote comes in really strong sided, then worth considering.
My dealing with simply rugged have been nothing but pleasant. I had a few questions about my chesty puller rig as well. Everything was answered and they were very polite.
First I ever heard bad about him is this thread.
Wow, cannot believe I watched the whole video. Holy cow there is a lot of work going into those holsters. Guess the price is worth it.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Wow, cannot believe I watched the whole video. Holy cow there is a lot of work going into those holsters. Guess the price is worth it.

Yeah, me too....twice.
I'll watch it again when I decide to mark my hide for the work. It is a lot more work than I ever thought went into them. I really think that it depends on who makes the holsters as well. I think that most leave out several of these steps.

There's a lot more Videos on the channel that are shorter and on specific designs. I think he does custom variations on request.
Dogcatcher,

Here's the one on exotic holsters.
You might find it interesting too.

I have bought several holsters from Simply Rugged and have been nothing but pleased. They have gone out of their way to help when I've needed something quick for a gift, or I found a box of 4 holsters that I had never opened when I moved to Idaho. When I ran across the box, I contacted them and they helped me figure out what each one was for. (quite a bit of time had past) This is the first time I've even heard of a complaint about Rob's products. Simply Rugged is invariably one of the suggestions when someone is looking for a holster. Let it go. Either buy from him again or not. I don't care, but it doesn't justify whining from the OP, over a quick phone call that may have been misunderstood by either or both parties.
Simply rugged sounds like some offshore junk.

Something that Harbor Freight would sell.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Obviously you've never dealt with them. They originally started in Alaska and did so well they moved to Arizona so they could get stuff out quicker. Nothing off shore about them.
He made two OWB holsters for me for a S&W Shield and Glock 43, both with a TLR-6. Never hesitated to take the order and I had them in under 10 days. I didn’t bbullshitt with him and he didn’t with me. His time is money and so is mine.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Obviously you've never dealt with them. They originally started in Alaska and did so well they moved to Arizona so they could get stuff out quicker. Nothing off shore about them.

From the op.........

Dont care.
Doesn't sound like the Rob Leahy I've talked to on the phone, but who knows what he's got going on. Hell, maybe he got some bad news, dunno...
I started dealing with Rob when he was still in Alaska & he's always been great. I've bought many holsters from him & met him many times in Arizona, he's a nice guy & a great holster maker & always willing to answer any questions I might have. Sorry if someone else had a problem, guess we all can have a bad day, that sure doesn't sound like the Rob Leahy that I've known for many years now & consider a great friend.

Dick
I’ve known Rob Leahy for over 20 years. He’s a fine man and I’m honored to call him friend.
What the OP relates doesn’t match with the man I know.
He has provided holster and kit for many service members going to the sandbox, gratis.
I do know he’s a very busy person and doesn’t have much time for chit chat during the day.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I do know he’s a very busy person and doesn’t have much time for chit chat during the day.

I know when I'm tied up with things at work I'm short on phone calls. Don't mean to be rude, just straight and to the point. It's very different from when things are slower or I'm not fighting alligators. Not making excuses for him, just acknowledging my faults.

I've several of his holsters from when he was in AK and since he's been in AZ. They've worked well but there was a problem with one that I ordered. I never called about it, I just emailed. Holster was soaked in the oxblood stain...you couldn't touch it without it showing on your fingers. I tried wiping it down several times and got a lot of the excess off but it still ended up bleeding on the cloths I was wearing. I emailed asking if there was something I could do to clean it up a bit and letting them know it was very different from the previous holster's I'd received from them. They said they'd take care of it, emailed postage for return, and mailed me a new holster. They took care of it without a second thought.
I like to call random people and ramble on about my grandchildren and the experience I had at Dairy Queen.
I like to call random people and ramble on about my grandchildren and the experience I had at Dairy Queen.

What about the shortage of ammo at “Jim’s gun, Pawn and Vacuum Repair”?
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I know when I'm tied up with things at work I'm short on phone calls. Don't mean to be rude, just straight and to the point. It's very different from when things are slower or I'm not fighting alligators. Not making excuses for him, just acknowledging my faults.

I've several of his holsters from when he was in AK and since he's been in AZ. They've worked well but there was a problem with one that I ordered. I never called about it, I just emailed. Holster was soaked in the oxblood stain...you couldn't touch it without it showing on your fingers. I tried wiping it down several times and got a lot of the excess off but it still ended up bleeding on the cloths I was wearing. I emailed asking if there was something I could do to clean it up a bit and letting them know it was very different from the previous holster's I'd received from them. They said they'd take care of it, emailed postage for return, and mailed me a new holster. They took care of it without a second thought.

I thought that was from too much oil.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I wish we still had a vacuum shop.

I wish we still had a vacuum shop.

Lots of memories

My cousin had one. We made a giant water hookuh out of Rainbow vacuum. Couple of Logan’s Roadhouse waitresses got banged on the repair bench too. lol
Haha.

Not sure if it’s still going.....

Next town over had an old guy that sold..

Tractor implements, sewing machines, vacuums and did TV repair.
I remember that about Rainbow machines.
Aren’t Rainbows the Schnees boots of the vacuum world?
Maybe the Crispi's

Kirby would be a schnee.
Maybe the Crispi's

Kirby would be a schnee.

Gotcha.

I’m just living in a Muck boots world.
Suckers would get roped into paying $1200 or more for Kirby’s, them sell that scissor sharpener, hamburger grinder attachments HAHA, extra bags and belts, get them for another $200-300

But....if you had a real paper mouthed sucker, you’d sell them a Rainbow for $1500

like ripping the lips off a crappie before they even close their jaws 😂😂
Maybe the Crispi's

Kirby would be a schnee.

Gotcha.

I’m just living in a Muck boots world.

Dyson Land?

Orrr......maybe Shark?
Suckers would get roped into paying $1200 or more for Kirby’s, them sell that scissor sharpener, hamburger grinder attachments HAHA, extra bags and belts, get them for another $200-300

But....if you had a real paper mouthed sucker, you’d sell them a Rainbow for $1500

like ripping the lips off a crappie before they even close their jaws 😂😂

My buddy sold electro lux for 4000.
What an ass hole

LOL
He only targeted old rich windows.

Didn't bother going to the trailer parks.
I kept an electrolux in the shop for vacuuming out the cars, had another rigged up for the reloading room.

We have a corn crib here on the farm has about a thousand old lux, kibrys, bisons, hoovers, all piled in there.

Made myself several small 20ft extension cords for chicken house duties and what not.

I need to get a pic posted up.
He only targeted old rich windows.

Didn't bother going to the trailer parks.

Smart man

But a weak salesman

lol

Rednecks be sittin deep on that aluminum can money.
This might possibly be the most random thread derail ever.

Holster company customer service to vacuum repair shops.
I remember finding a pickup load of old church key style beer cans in a shed.

We loaded them up and sold them....Grandpa and I.

Years and years of branding time beer.

We split the check. 40 bucks was FU money back in them days.....as an 8 year old.
I kept an electrolux in the shop for vacuuming out the cars, had another rigged up for the reloading room.

We have a corn crib here on the farm has about a thousand old lux, kibrys, bisons, hoovers, all piled in there.

Made myself several small 20ft extension cords for chicken house duties and what not.

Haha.

That sounds like Ernie around here.

He’s got a 4 wheeler repair shop.

4 wheelers. 3 wheelers. Go carts. Lawn mowers. All piled around his little shop in town.

City wouldn’t do anything about it so Bumpers ( like a Sonic ) has to build a wood privacy fence.
Originally Posted by goalie

That’s why all the good guys leave the fire.......
28 years ago when we just moved into our first house and my daughter was about 2 months old, somehow we ended up with some vacuum cleaner guy in the living room. must have been my wifes doing. he obviously ignored the screaming baby, beat-to-schit escort and nissan pickup in the driveway and the crappy little house we had in a crappy little neighborhood. i don't even remember if it was hoover or who but he wanted about 2 house payments for this gizmo. i sat long enough to get my free case of coke and told him we'd think about it. had the same speel for a whole house water purifier. guy added something to our tap water that made it look like pond water. i think we got a coupon to some schitty chain restaurant 20 miles away we never used for that demo. we had a dumbass couple that lived across the street that lived to the hilt. pretty sure they had nice clean carpet and sparkling water.

Haha.

4 wheelers. 3 wheelers. Go carts. Lawn mowers. All piled around his little shop in town.

City wouldn’t do anything about it so Bumpers ( like a Sonic ) has to build a wood privacy fence.

All I gots is a toilet in the front yard and a mower with no hood......and you called me the Kracker Fred Sanford.

Sheesh...
Originally Posted by rem141r
28 years ago when we just moved into our first house and my daughter was about 2 months old, somehow we ended up with some vacuum cleaner guy in the living room. must have been my wifes doing. he obviously ignored the screaming baby, beat-to-schit escort and nissan pickup in the driveway and the crappy little house we had in a crappy little neighborhood. i don't even remember if it was hoover or who but he wanted about 2 house payments for this gizmo. i sat long enough to get my free case of coke and told him we'd think about it. had the same speel for a whole house water purifier. guy added something to our tap water that made it look like pond water. i think we got a coupon to some schitty chain restaurant 20 miles away we never used for that demo. we had a dumbass couple that lived across the street that lived to the hilt. pretty sure they had nice clean carpet and sparkling water.

That guy saw potential in you when no one else did.

#believeinyourself

That’s why all the good guys leave the fire.......

And we're still here......

Haha.

All I gots is a toilet in the front yard and a mower with no hood......and you called me the Kracker Fred Sanford.

Sheesh...

Ernies prolly got a hood that’ll fit your mower!
Kirby are awesome.
Best deal going on a longtem vacum.

Watch the local classifieds, or hit estate sales.
Can buy them for under $50, frequently they have the
carpet scrubber attachment with them.

Can get any parts you need easy.

Always think about the poor bastard who made payments for years
on the thing. Now, it's for sale for lunch money.
What about the salad shredder amd hamburger meat attachment?

That’s got my interest.

That would be handy.

Meat grinder for deer season.

Are those Kirby’s wet/ dry vac?

It’ll clean up after grinding?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Cole slaw.

That’s my jam.

Can the Kirby do cole slaw?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Kirby are awesome.

Lunch money?

Try Taco Bell...

One buck burritos and free senior drink for anyone (like voting... no ID required).

Sure the food sucks, but that dont matter... makes my dog happy.
Cole slaw.

That’s my jam.

I fugging hate coleslaw.

Give me a nice lettuce salad with some ranch or home made Roquefort.
Even sweet Cole slaw?

I’ll admit, sour slaw (vinegar) takes some getting used to.
Even sweet Cole slaw?

I’ll admit, sour slaw takes some getting used to.

There is more than one kind??
What were the specific questions you asked before he made that comment?
Cole slaw.

That’s my jam.

I fugging hate coleslaw.

Give me a nice lettuce salad with some ranch or home made Roquefort.

Lettuce? Effete euro dressing? Give me some slaw. On a burger or shredded pork sandwich even better.
boo fugking hoo

Even sweet Cole slaw?

I’ll admit, sour slaw takes some getting used to.

There is more than one kind??

Oh yeah.

There’s a whole world of slaws.

Kinda like fine wines...

Some slaw uses mayo. Sugar. For a sweet taste. Like KFC And fish camps serve.

Some uses vinegar. For a tart taste. Serve that kind at BBQ places.

My wife loves KFC slaw.

Put that in front of me and I think my back is broke in hell.

Although I do kinda like that "asian" salad made with ramen noodles and cabbages.

I dont have much of a sweet tooth.

A bowl of Coco Dyno Bites and red top milk fortnightly slakes my sugar lust.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Kirby are awesome.

Lunch money?

Try Taco Bell...

One buck burritos and free senior drink for anyone (like voting... no ID required).

Sure the food sucks, but that dont matter... makes my dog happy.

Not a big Taco Bell fan, gotta be in the mood.

Was trying to impress with that post.
You know the deal...

Lunch just over.
Zero carb bread, Turkey, ham Swiss, pickle, Dukes, touch of Ranch.
God Made Carbs!
And I question the 0 thing.
But it's decent, and here...
Originally Posted by BLRNut
I have 3 Simply Rugged holsters which are GREAT. Since I am ooking for a "chest" holster to carry hunting, I thought I would give them a call concerning the one they have, i.e. the Chesty Puller. After identifying myself as a very pleased prior customer to Mr. Rob Leahy the owner, I started to ask my questions. He stopped me and very rudely and abruptly told me " After you buy my holster, I don't care what you do to it". I again tried to ask about the holster-strap fasteners, to which he replied, "Told you, I don't care". I thanked him and hung up.

Maybe the $175.00, holster and accessories, wasn't enough of a purchase for him to be concerned about, but Simply Rugged and Rob can be assured they need not be concerned about my purchases in the future.

In my book, Rude customer interaction equates to NO sales now or in the future.

Just thought Campfirers ought to know.

Hey, dont go thinking just cause you done bought 3 of his holsters you deserve any info on his gitmo without letting him know yer willin to pay mo, asswhole. wink

(Aint the Fire Rs grande)
Hey, i dont believe you. Im pretty certain he wasnt just on the rag, maybe. whistle

Thanks. He wont be seeing any of my money.

Its a wonder anyone posts about rip off guides or products or poor service. Sheesh.

© 24hourcampfire