Home
I logged on in 2008. I've now over 9K posts on 24hr, of which I'd say 99% are outside the "Free Classifieds".

I subscribe to the bromide "It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, but a moment to destroy it."

Nothing I sell here is worth sacrificing whatever good will I've built over the last 12 years or so.

With that in mind, I had my first experience a couple weeks ago here on 24Hr with a transaction with which I was less than totally satisfied.

The seller had more than a couple hundred posts, but only a smidge were posted in any forums outside the Classifieds and it seems most items did not sell or sold to folks with very few posts.

I understand and subscribe to the idea of 'Caveat Emptor", and evidently I lapsed and did not do my due diligence.

By what standard do you guys deem a seller to be "worth his salt"

Just asking for me, not a friend?

ya!

GWB
If it is really going to matter, only do it with someone that you are familiar with.

Anyone that would do you wrong is no friend of mine. Let us know please.
I look for several hundred posts at least, and most not classifieds.
I'll also look at some of their past posts to see if they seem trustworthy.
Anyone who seems to treat this place like Ebay gets a pass.
Seems there used to be a "good guy " list or such? Is that still a viable option or too large now to wade through.

I've only picked up a couple of things here. On the one rifle I got there was good communications, it was near enough and convenient to pick up the rifle from the seller at the FFL for the transfer, and the seller also is a long time poster on many fora here.

I guess if it were something "pricey" I'd have to put out some feelers to some folks I know on here to see what they know about the seller.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience gdub.
Also, if they have a history of deferring to their wive's judgement on how to conduct their manly affairs, they get a pass.
I know a few posters personally who never come to this part of the Fire, because they have no desire to be a part of the stupid and childlike crap that goes on here. Instead, they post on the technical threads and the classifieds................and I would trust them more than anyone on this site. A large post count mostly means that someone is just coming here out of boredom.
Lots of "Classifieds Cowboys" here... and other forums as well.

Some are okay to buy or sell from, and some are not.

I'm more cautious with Classified Cowboys than I am a regular member that's not here just for the ads.
I've gotten on the phone with them and talked through some things. Sometimes that sorts out a lot.
What James Jr said !!
From known solid dudesšŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Whether they are up here mostly or other forums.
With good back and forth Commo.
No problem.

Reps are important as a straight shooter with integrity.
Being a clown d bag such as myself on the gen forum is my rep.
But I got integrity and Im a straight shooter.

I dont risk dealings buying something from non established sellers without a solid rep on here.

Does that suck for new sellers on here or ones who have been here for awhile trying to get established.
Yep...
Does it suck for a buyer when a seller like that has something you as a buyer have been surfing the classifieds for and wont take the chance because of it.
Yep

What boggles my mind is when the members hammer scam artist and the scam artist dont get banned or their IP address blocked by Bin......
Recent example is this chuck willid guy and 2 well known solid members who have been flim flammed by this guy.
Another is the legendary safariman and all the schit surrounding him and his scams on here and elsewhere.
All they do is make a sockpuppet and throw the bait back in the classifieds IMO.

At least Gopher Gunner is being dealt with by the members thru the sheer embarrassment factor that is happening with Kamo,s reveal and the Stubby tour that is beginnng to take off.
I am cranky this morning so...

I have had a couple of good experiences. But now unless it was face to face, I donā€™t know. It appears there are lots of bitches and con artists around lately.
Donā€™t think I ever bought here, but Iā€™ve sold a few things. No trouble so far, but I see shady-looking offers all the time. Seems like the really risky ones are the responses from newbies to WTB posts. Recent ā€œissuesā€ with the USPS have me thinking Iā€™m going to quit selling online period. Iā€™m definitely not selling any guns like that, or probably buying any either. Donā€™t want the stress or drama associated with packages in limbo.

I also get the impression that the crazy prices for ammo and components has finally worn down the resolve of people to not get involved in that ā€œtradeā€. One well-known character listed some ammo yesterday, at crazy prices, and for some reason it kinda pissed me off. I doubt this guy needs the money, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I had a few extra bricks I wasnā€™t going to use, Iā€™d rather donate it to someone with kids or otherwise in a bind than go to all the trouble of traveling to a Service Center so I could make a couple hundred bucks. Maybe Iā€™m just a grouchy old fart.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Seems there used to be a "good guy " list or such? Is that still a viable option or too large now to wade through.

There is and it's huge.

Two sellers I bought cast boolits from said they were gonna add me to the list but doing a search is beyond my skills. Like I said it's huge.
To me having thousands of posts, just shows your part of the good old boy network that resides here. I was a frequent poster here fin the past for a few, years then because of the attitudes of "some" I quit, and went other ways. I am back and do enjoy a spirited discussion but sometimes get my fill of the "clique" reinforcing each others supposedly sharp, witty comments. I realize that being the new guy in any social setting, is most always difficult, but some here seem to relish making others feel uncomfortable. I have a very thick skin, but others may not, and decide this is not the place for them. Being new, in any group doesn't necessarily prove that ones experience is also lacking. I have 60 years in the field, shooting, hunting, reloading primarily in the West, so I know little or nothing about hunting in the east, Africa, or other far away places. For many here those adventures are dreams, and will always be dreams, Try and be considerate when posting especially when its obvious that the person posting may not have your skill set or experience. Our culture needs new blood, and new people to embrace the experiences that many here have already had. Many of our rights are in danger and we need every "body, person," enable us to protect our rights and stand together. The new folks are our future.
Iā€™ve had good luck buying things here. I have no complaints at all. Iā€™ve sold some too, donā€™t think anyone has been unhappy. I try to throw in a little extra goody in the box. I enjoy surprising people. Iā€™d make it better than right if they werenā€™t happy. I do plumbing and welding for people sometimes. I try to give them a little more than what they paid for. Iā€™m always on time if Iā€™m going to someoneā€™s home, never late. Iā€™d rather be dead than have an unhappy customer, but thatā€™s just me.
I assume people are honest until they arenā€™t. I donā€™t care where they post.
Originally Posted by RAS
I assume people are honest until they arenā€™t. I donā€™t care where they post.

Thatā€™s my general policy as well.

I lay forth strict terms when selling (USPS MO or PayPal only) that become flexible if I know the buyer well (expanded to personal checks, items shipped before payments received).

I have never been burned and while Iā€™ll do my homework on sellers if theyā€™re very new I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Of course how much of that I give is often proportional to the size of the transaction.
I canā€™t stand a thief, buyer or seller. I rank them with no good groids.

I have never sold anything on here and outside of here, I have only sold one rifle to a roadside stranger, ever. I am just not the flea market type.

I would just as soon give something away or haul it to Junk-4-Jesus or the dump than screw with people.

Itā€™s very difficult to know someoneā€™s heart through the internet.
I feel like if your metal has been tested on the general campfire and youā€™ve been able to tread water, post pics, and come off like you actually do something, I might take a chance.

If youre some never go-outside shĆ®tbird that only posts obscure wacky glen beck, alex jones links and the never ending Sidney Powell, Lin Wood, Jade Helm, the sky is falling threads, mehhh. Youre too lazy to mail me anything. So piss off, wonā€™t deal with those types either.

The less than 2,000 post count people who only hover on the classifeds, never!! Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker types is how I look at them.
Geedubya, I've enjoyed a great many of those 9K post. Sorry to hear a less than ideal transaction occurred. I haven't done much in the classifieds for a couple of years, but it's always been my understanding if either party is dissatisfied, you can return said item for a full refund, (less shipping)?

No?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Donā€™t think I ever bought here, but Iā€™ve sold a few things. No trouble so far, but I see shady-looking offers all the time. Seems like the really risky ones are the responses from newbies to WTB posts. Recent ā€œissuesā€ with the USPS have me thinking Iā€™m going to quit selling online period. Iā€™m definitely not selling any guns like that, or probably buying any either. Donā€™t want the stress or drama associated with packages in limbo.

I also get the impression that the crazy prices for ammo and components has finally worn down the resolve of people to not get involved in that ā€œtradeā€. One well-known character listed some ammo yesterday, at crazy prices, and for some reason it kinda pissed me off. I doubt this guy needs the money, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I had a few extra bricks I wasnā€™t going to use, Iā€™d rather donate it to someone with kids or otherwise in a bind than go to all the trouble of traveling to a Service Center so I could make a couple hundred bucks. Maybe Iā€™m just a grouchy old fart.

No....
You are hitting good points actually.
Benjamins turn people to the dark side in aspects of life.
Even if it is capitalism.
It still dont nullify the stink.......
i would be hard pressed to buy a gun in a non face-to-face transaction anymore. i have bought dozens online with no problems however, but consider it too risky anymore. the only time i had a bad transaction for anything online was on here for a scope several years ago. he only posted in the classifieds. when the scope was a blurry mess at anything but 2x, he said it looked fine to him and would not refund. it was 150 bucks wasted. so for me, i will avoid the guys who only come here to sell. i also use the ignore feature to keep a record of people who either have transaction issues or have made posts that lead me to believe they are not the type of people i would want to deal with in any fashion, financial or personal. i will be selling off some nice guns at some point soon and will be very selective about who i deal with.

anybody want to buy a bipod for a charger btw?
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I look for a couple thousand posts at least and most not classifieds.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...in spades
Originally Posted by ingwe
I look for a couple thousand posts at least and most not classifieds.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...in spades

Ditto

DF
I always call of ask for driver's license before i send money.
And the seller her to be a member for at least a year.

+1
Kinda makes a guy wonder how did Shotgun News and The Gun List survive so long? Was there really more honor and fewer scammers back then, or, did we lack access to "Deals Gone Bad?"

My dad traveled 2 nights/wk and if he had an ad going in either or both, I was in charge of taking the phone calls by the time I was in Jr. High. People would send checks or MO's to dad on nothing more than a paper ad and the descriptions given by an early teens kid on the phone.
I've been very fortunate in buying from people here as every one of my deals have left me knowing I just dealt with an honest person so I haven't given much thought to your question. Until now.
The best rule is to not engage in any deal you canā€™t survive a 100% loss on.
I've never had a problem with purchases here.Some do use this site as a way to sell stuff and that's about it.Sometimes it's not a problem,it really depends on who it is.I've bought a lot of brass from one person and I've never had an issue.I've bought a few scopes and never an issue either.One thing you can do is check out the users post.It can give you an idea about the person.I wouldn't purchase anything from a few people on here,others I would have no worries.It's always a chance you take even a face to face purchase can have issues later.
I look for a couple thousand posts at least and most not classifieds. I'll also look at some of their past posts to see if they seem trustworthy.

It is all part of reading the sign whether to pull the trigger on a sale. If the person has a lot of classified ads and is selling the items and no one complains and post a call out post that is a plus for me. On the other side of things, there are a lot of high post count individuals I would avoid if they put an item on the classified.
Low volume poster here. I'll probably never post 2000 times in my life. I've never sold anything here but might sell some low cost stuff (bullets, brass, etc.) someday. I ran an ad here looking for some bullets recently and bought some from some kind folks I've never met. I've bought and sold a fair amount on Gunbroker and have not had any real problems there. I'd have no qualms buying inexpensive things here, even if sight unseen. I'd probably not buy a big ticket item from someone who is not well known. It doesn't take long reading to get a feel for someone's character. It might be easier if members here were not so reluctant to criticize one another ; )
The best protection (for non gun purchases) is to use PayPal and pay the fee to get buyer protection.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'm more cautious with Classified Cowboys than I am a regular member that's not here just for the ads.

There are some Campfire Bwanas and Oracles also that donā€™t do a damn thing except post nekkid pics of wimmin on the miscellaneous forum.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
The best rule is to not engage in any deal you canā€™t survive a 100% loss on.

FWIW, I am not risk averse, actually, probably much to far in the other direction.

Like the comment by HitnRun, if I can't take the hit, I don't commit.

I see "call out" threads on occasion, but that is not my style and I've not had the occasion to do so up to now. I had no proof that the seller intended to defraud me, only suspicion.

A derivative of the old quote by Joseph Heller...... ā€œJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.ā€ā€• Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Just because one receives an empty Small Flat Rate box that was wrapped as if designed to burst when dropped due to the weight, and was mailed from a kiosk with no return address doesn't mean the box was full, It could have been shipped empty from the beginning. LOL

I did get about half my money back (the $50 insurance that USPS provides).

Consequently it seemed the prudent thing to do was to take my loss and carry on.

Joe Traylor's recent experience kinda tripped my trigger and was the impetus for my rhetorical question.

Appreciate the thoughtful comments.

Best,

GWB
It all depends....

I'll trust someone unless they show some reason not to. Reported and outed scammers get put on ignore, that's an easy reminder not to buy from them. Just bought some bullets from someone with 100% of posts on the classifieds but a little bit of investigation showed that other folks who bought things reported back that the seller was good to go. And he was.

Switching gears a bit, one thing I will NOT do is post items "free to a good kid/needy person". I watch those and 9 times out of 10 those items are snapped up within a very short time by someone with 95 to 100% of their posts on the classifieds - true classified commandos. The people who grab them get filed in memory as someone not to do business with since I'm pretty sure those "free to a good home" items are flipped for 100% profit as soon as possible. A while back one fellow accepted a free scope for a deserving kid who "could really use it", a quick investigation into that member's posts showed that this same person had sold a scope here not 3 weeks beforehand. Maybe that one he sold just wasn't good enough for the little tyke?

Life is risky, accumulate good karma whenever you can since you get what you give in life, and trust your gut.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It all depends....

I'll trust someone unless they show some reason not to. Reported and outed scammers get put on ignore, that's an easy reminder not to buy from them. Just bought some bullets from someone with 100% of posts on the classifieds but a little bit of investigation showed that other folks who bought things reported back that the seller was good to go. And he was.

Switching gears a bit, one thing I will NOT do is post items "free to a good kid/needy person". I watch those and 9 times out of 10 those items are snapped up within a very short time by someone with 95 to 100% of their posts on the classifieds - true classified commandos. The people who grab them get filed in memory as someone not to do business with since I'm pretty sure those "free to a good home" items are flipped for 100% profit as soon as possible. A while back one fellow accepted a free scope for a deserving kid who "could really use it", a quick investigation into that member's posts showed that this same person had sold a scope here not 3 weeks beforehand. Maybe that one he sold just wasn't good enough for the little tyke?

Life is risky, accumulate good karma whenever you can since you get what you give in life, and trust your gut.

I have noticed and thought the same thing. About the ā€œfor a kidā€ stuff

I try to give more than I receive as a general principle and have not had a bad experience other than wishing a few would be more communicative. I balance that with realizing Iā€™m obsessive-compulsive about a lot of things.

A comment on the Good Guysā€™ List: itā€™s unmanageable and should be a Bad Guysā€™ List. Good, honest behavior should be the norm and the other, the exception, should be the ones publicized. It would stand out as a warning to those who would be on it.

But, GW, do you remember what the Catch-22 was? šŸ˜€

Ya!.
Originally Posted by Godogs57

There are some Campfire Bwanas and Oracles also that donā€™t do a damn thing except post nekkid pics of wimmin on the miscellaneous forum.

And I'd do business with most of those guys before I'd do business with a Classifieds Cowboy.
Hey!

Those pics aren't completely nude.

Yeah, and I never look at the fat ones either! Gotta have standards.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Valsdad

There is and it's huge.

Two sellers I bought cast boolits from said they were gonna add me to the list but doing a search is beyond my skills. Like I said it's huge.

The easiest way I have found is to use the Search function and select the Free Classifieds as the only forum to search. Put the User ID you want in the ā€œKeyword Search Termsā€ field, then place the select dot for "Search Entire Posts" and do a search. It's pretty easy to pick out "Re: GOOD GUY LIST" from the list of thread subjects returned. Click those links and see what is said about them.

Some false results occur due to overlap in User IDs. Also, you can only search one year at a time searching "Newer Than X Years" and "Older than (X - 1) Years", so for example, Newer Than 1 Year and Older than 0 Years. Then search again Newer Than 2 years and Older than 1 year, ...

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It all depends....

Jim,
With your permission, I may want to use that last sentence as a sig line.
I can say that I was brought up to believe that you are only as good as your word. Nothing I sell on here is worth my reputation and have always tried to do what is right by the buyer.
Some buyers do make it hard though. When you say it is used and give pictures and they get it and say "hey it has a scratch on it ". Yes it does and it is in the description as well as the pictures.
Oh well that is dealing with some (both buyer's and seller's) just is not worth the headaches sometimes.
I have bought many small items here and sold some also.I have also bought and sold guns.I guess I am lucky and never got stung.I think you can tell by the ad ,who to stay away from.I always give my phone number to anyone I am buying or selling to.A personal phone call usually tells you everything you want to know.I like to make sure I include every little nick and ding on what I am selling so there are no surprises for anyone.What i am saying is if you are honest about what you are selling,you are good to go.One pet peeve of mine is a seller asking for a USPS MO for some nickel and dime item.Give me a break.I am glad to take a personal check or cash.Huntz
Absolutely, I'd be honored.

Hey don't throw any shade on those guys!
I have bought and sold and have yet to have a bad experience other than spotting some scammers and passing on their scheme. I did buy a stock that wasn't straight but the shipping is more than I want to put into a return.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I try to give more than I receive as a general principle and have not had a bad experience other than wishing a few would be more communicative. I balance that with realizing Iā€™m obsessive-compulsive about a lot of things.

A comment on the Good Guysā€™ List: itā€™s unmanageable and should be a Bad Guysā€™ List. Good, honest behavior should be the norm and the other, the exception, should be the ones publicized. It would stand out as a warning to those who would be on it.

Ya!.

I am of that generation, but it's been a while

Central to the story was the ā€œcatchā€ of the title ā€“ the impossibility of getting out of military service. As the catch goes, only an irrational person would want to fight and put himself in danger. If you were irrational, you werenā€™t fit to fight (even though thatā€™s what you wanted to do). But if you did not want to fight and asked to be released from service, well, that proved that you were rational and thereby fit for service ā€“ and so, you had to keep fighting.

Confusing? Sure. So is war, and that was Hellerā€™s point.

https://www.legacy.com/news/culture-and-history/whats-the-catch-catch-22/

and an even better rendering.....

Dear Straight Dope:

Why do they call a no-win situation a "Catch-22"?

Nick Gabaly

Dex replies:

You know youā€™re old when people ask about the origin of phrases that were introduced in your lifetime.

The phrase "Catch-22" comes from the book of that name by Joseph Heller (1923-1999), published in 1961. Catch-22 is a wonderful book, full of dark humor and absurdity, satirizing war, military bureaucracy, and by extension modern life and the ways in which they destroy the human spirit.

The word "catch" of course is used in the sense of snare, snag or entanglement.

The story is set in Italy in World War II. The main character, Captain Yossarian, is a bombardier (as Heller had been) who wants to get out of flying potentially deadly combat missions. So does his tent-mate, Orr. The easiest way to get out of flying more missions is to plead insanity. Heller writes:

There was only one catch, and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for oneā€™s safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and he would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didnā€™t, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didnā€™t have to, but if he didnā€™t want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"Thatā€™s some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"Itā€™s the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

In short, Catch-22 is "heads I win, tails you lose." If you can, you canā€™t, and if you canā€™t, you can. Fair is foul and foul is fair. Whenever you try to behave sensibly in a crazy world, thereā€™s a catch.

Heller writes:

Yossarian strode away, cursing Catch-22 vehemently even though he knew there was no such thing. Catch-22 did not exist, he was positive of that, but it made no difference. What did matter was that everyone thought it existed, and that was much worse, for there was no object or text to ridicule or refute, to accuse, criticize, attack, amend, hate, revile, spit at, rip to shreds, trample upon, or burn up.

In fact, Heller originally wanted to name his dilemma Catch-18, but a book by Leon Uris called Mila 18, historical fiction about the Warsaw ghetto uprising during WWII, had just been published, and the publishers were afraid there would be confusion. (Mila 18 was a street address.)

So, there really isnā€™t a Catch-22, despite its pervasivenessā€“and thatā€™s an example of the catch, of course. Circular dilemmas of this sort appear over and over in the book. Sometimes the Catch is mentioned explicitly, more often not.

https://www.straightdope.com/21343234/what-s-the-origin-of-catch-22

Along the same lines....... I saw this guy at his 50 year reunion tour at the Grand in Galveston Texas. Looked like an old hippie convention.

"You got a lot of damn gall wanting to know If I'm moral enough to burn women's and kids villages after being a litterbug"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

anywho, down the rabbit-hole I go!

ya!

GWB

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yeah, and I never look at the fat ones either! Gotta have standards.

You know Hugh donā€™t you? Hugh dang rite!
I've sold a number of things on the classifieds without any issues. But I will also say I am a bit leery of buying much I did buy some brass 7 BR brass deal with great the guy even mailed it said it was on its way before money got to him. Not everybody is that's straight-up. So much technology that I don't really understand makes me very leery of sending money to somewhere that I do not know.
There's no cut and dried rules. It's all a gamble. I take gambles in business, usually they work, once in a while they don't. If I jumped off of barns for a living, sooner or later I'd break a leg.

I always say any two can get along until something goes sideways, then you find out who you're dealing with.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Ya!.

I am of that generation, but it's been a while

Central to the story was the ā€œcatchā€ of the title ā€“ the impossibility of getting out of military service. As the catch goes, only an irrational person would want to fight and put himself in danger. If you were irrational, you werenā€™t fit to fight (even though thatā€™s what you wanted to do). But if you did not want to fight and asked to be released from service, well, that proved that you were rational and thereby fit for service ā€“ and so, you had to keep fighting.

Confusing? Sure. So is war, and that was Hellerā€™s point.

https://www.legacy.com/news/culture-and-history/whats-the-catch-catch-22/

and an even better rendering.....

Dear Straight Dope:

Why do they call a no-win situation a "Catch-22"?

Nick Gabaly

Dex replies:

You know youā€™re old when people ask about the origin of phrases that were introduced in your lifetime.

The phrase "Catch-22" comes from the book of that name by Joseph Heller (1923-1999), published in 1961. Catch-22 is a wonderful book, full of dark humor and absurdity, satirizing war, military bureaucracy, and by extension modern life and the ways in which they destroy the human spirit.

The word "catch" of course is used in the sense of snare, snag or entanglement.

The story is set in Italy in World War II. The main character, Captain Yossarian, is a bombardier (as Heller had been) who wants to get out of flying potentially deadly combat missions. So does his tent-mate, Orr. The easiest way to get out of flying more missions is to plead insanity. Heller writes:

There was only one catch, and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for oneā€™s safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and he would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didnā€™t, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didnā€™t have to, but if he didnā€™t want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"Thatā€™s some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"Itā€™s the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

In short, Catch-22 is "heads I win, tails you lose." If you can, you canā€™t, and if you canā€™t, you can. Fair is foul and foul is fair. Whenever you try to behave sensibly in a crazy world, thereā€™s a catch.

Heller writes:

Yossarian strode away, cursing Catch-22 vehemently even though he knew there was no such thing. Catch-22 did not exist, he was positive of that, but it made no difference. What did matter was that everyone thought it existed, and that was much worse, for there was no object or text to ridicule or refute, to accuse, criticize, attack, amend, hate, revile, spit at, rip to shreds, trample upon, or burn up.

In fact, Heller originally wanted to name his dilemma Catch-18, but a book by Leon Uris called Mila 18, historical fiction about the Warsaw ghetto uprising during WWII, had just been published, and the publishers were afraid there would be confusion. (Mila 18 was a street address.)

So, there really isnā€™t a Catch-22, despite its pervasivenessā€“and thatā€™s an example of the catch, of course. Circular dilemmas of this sort appear over and over in the book. Sometimes the Catch is mentioned explicitly, more often not.

https://www.straightdope.com/21343234/what-s-the-origin-of-catch-22

Along the same lines....... I saw this guy at his 50 year reunion tour at the Grand in Galveston Texas. Looked like an old hippie convention.

"You got a lot of damn gall wanting to know If I'm moral enough to burn women's and kids villages after being a litterbug"

anywho, down the rabbit-hole I go!

ya!

GWB

GW, Iā€™m calling you a gentleman and a scholar along with having aristocratic tastes in rifles...

My dad had Catch-22 in his library and I read it on the quiet while in high school. Veddy interesting novel.

It was the age of Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, and The Catch ā€” very compelling study hall fare.

šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜€
I have bought a few things off the fire. Never had a problem but I bought from well established members. I would think pretty hard about sending anything more than a few hundred bucks to a member with few posts or only a few only in the classifieds. I would hate getting screwed but none the less I wouldn't buy anything that if it went south I would be in a financial bind. Im more gunshy about selling stuff on here and trusting it will get there. I would hate to have to send someone a refund and still not have what I sold and have to deal with collecting insurance from the shipping company. Before buying here I always ask myself is thecdeal good enough to risk what I am paying.
Depends.

I distrust "amateur dealers".
See them as leeches. Like the buyers that hit my Great Grandmother's
farm and basically stole her blind. To then go sell the stuff
as antiques and gouge the hell out of rich people.

It's not fair, I know.

On the other hand, I bought some 264 brass from a person who
only sells brass on the classifieds. Figured if they have been at it
awhile, and no one has had issues, they are ok.

Only have bought about 3 items.

And, have had a M7 stock given to me for a kid to use.
Will me posting here get my count up some more? I need more "cred". I have not sold anything but have bought some here- the last purchase is still pending. It was for a scope I do not have a rifle for yet . You folks will drive a person to do such things as that . I am a man of character or perhaps I am just a character, but either way I will do my part to make the "good guy list" one day.

Joe
to be honest I am guilty of the above.. sort of. I have most of my posts in the classifieds, as I have bought several to many guns and scopes off the classifieds. I have not ever been a seller... yet. I do try and buy from guys that have been around and look through history to try and deal with reputable members. thankfully I have had nothing but great transitions and deals with the fine members on this site. I do browse the other sections and sometimes post.. but mostly read through them... this is just my 2 cents.
thanks again to all the "good guys" on here
Jonathan
I prefer to do business with the ā€œregularsā€ here. I wonā€™t do business with a known liberal since the items Iā€™m likely to sell or give away are gun and outdoor related items and I ainā€™t helping my enemy. Classified cowboys get extra scrutiny. I havenā€™t read all the replies but I donā€™t think there isnā€™t a man on this thread that I wouldnā€™t be happy to do business with. Iā€™d also be likely to ship the item before I received payment from every one of you scoundrels. šŸ˜

Iā€™ve been nothing but completely happy with the few transactions Iā€™ve done here! Every one was perfect. šŸ‘
I have only had one transaction that went to crap.....and even then another member stepped up & offered to make things right.

But,as a general rule, ON BOTH PARTIES PART, communication is the key.

The incident in question came from a member going dark, so to speak.

No communication what so ever....looking back, I knew something didn't feel right. I sent the check, it was cashed, & nothing was sent. Kept asking via PM, no reply.
Posted on the ad, no reply.

Like others have said, trust your gut.

Burt2506
I am a Classified Cowboy on the other side as I rarely ever sell but I check the forum daily for things to buy or trade. Sometimes I am looking for something very specific or just waiting for something that catches my eye that I ā€œneedā€.
I have become much more cautious lately as there seems to be lots of new sellers popping up that joined a few months ago with low post count.
I got burned on another site by not checking forum posts. If I had of, I would t have sent the money. Fortunately I got it back through PayPal.
All of my interactions and dealings on the fire have been great....so far.
Since joining in 2006 I have posted questions and answers along with selling and buying items. I have been lucky and only been burnt once. I try to go above and beyond on a sale to make sure the buyer is happy as I do not want to jeopardize my close to 2000 posts. There have been some tire kickers, people saying they have what I want or will take it then not hear from them again. There are some loud mouths and members who post on every post just to get their post numbers up. That is typical on most sites. All in all this is a great site.
I've done more buying than selling on the classifieds. Never had a problem; never was I interrogated on my political leanings, voting record, gender identification, skin color, or nation of origin.

On the other hand, I've lurked on enough threads on the hunters campfire to know that I would not enter into a business transaction with some members who've made thousands of posts. Some of those boys are bat-schit crazy!

Your mileage may vary.

KP
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I know a few posters personally who never come to this part of the Fire, because they have no desire to be a part of the stupid and childlike crap that goes on here. Instead, they post on the technical threads and the classifieds................and I would trust them more than anyone on this site. A large post count mostly means that someone is just coming here out of boredom.

NAILED IT!
A LARGE grain of salt. Only when I really need what is being offered.
I trust people until they give me a reason not too.

But I also follow my instincts. Usually not wrong.
Geedubya,

I too subscribe to that old adage, "you can build a thousand bridges... but fĆ¼ck one goat."

Except, I'm usually the goat.
Originally Posted by Willicd76

NAILED IT!

Look at these two whore fugkers. No one values either one of your posts . Laughing MAO
Originally Posted by middlechild
I always call of ask for driver's license before i send money.
And the seller her to be a member for at least a year.

Someone asks for my DL they wonā€™t like the answer. No deal? Good enough for me.
I bought a gun from safariman once. Drove 200 miles for him to be late and less described. Dude had a poop pooptillion posts and was the internet darling at that point with tales of all things Africa.....me just a schmuck with 6bills in his pocket.

I've yet to be burned here and typically if you bought from me and I could afford to lose the money in the deal, you probably got your stuff before I got your check.

It's all a gamble. I rely on my sense of smell.....course, I got the rona so take it easy on me as ma smeller is broke.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

NAILED IT!

Look at these two whore fugkers. No one values either one of your posts . Laughing MAO

Lets hear your insight and experience. I doubt you have anything to say other than regurgitated BULL......S.H.I.T!
I 'm a noob here but have done several transactions in the the classifieds. I told the guys to cash the check first and then send the product. Every transaction has been smooth as glass .Salt of the earth.

NAILED IT!

You can straight go fuqk yourself until you produce the tracking number you promised. I will dog your mf'ing ass everytime I see your post. You're the mf'er this type of thread is about. If I forgot to tell you, I'm telling you again, GO FUQK YOURSELF.

Lets hear your insight and experience. I doubt you have anything to say other than regurgitated BULL......S.H.I.T!

It's Mr. 500 Gold dots for the price of 1000, but only after being harangued by the entire Campfire.
Originally Posted by high_country_
I bought a gun from safariman once. Drove 200 miles....

Damn the luck!
Originally Posted by mirage243

NAILED IT!

You can straight go fuqk yourself until you produce the tracking number you promised. I will dog your mf'ing ass everytime I see your post. You're the mf'er this type of thread is about. If I forgot to tell you, I'm telling you again, GO FUQK YOURSELF.

Thats waaay old news. The guy has probably shot all those bullets by now. I offered to buy you a plane ticket to speak to my face, but you are far too chicken SHIIIIT to take me up on the offer. you are a blow hard pu$$y who lives through the internet. Put up, or shut the FUUCK up!
Originally Posted by kingston

It's Mr. 500 Gold dots for the price of 1000, but only after being harangued by the entire Campfire.

The offer extends to you too. Ill buy you a plane ticket to come here and talk to me face to face. You wont, because you hide behind a computer like most of you with 10k posts on an internet forum. Nothing else to do but video games and forums.
These guys that rip people off need to be banned.
Bitch, you can't afford a plane ticket you dumb fuqk. Delta don't take no EBT cards.
I'd buy from Kingston (probably have to change phone numbers again after) and I'd buy from Mirage for Geedub............definitely not guys who have [bleep] members I know and respect.
Bitch, you can't afford a plane ticket you dumb fuqk. Delta don't take no EBT cards.

Try me.
Originally Posted by NH K9
I'd buy from Kingston (probably have to change phone numbers again after) and I'd buy from Mirage for Geedub............definitely not guys who have [bleep] members I know and respect.

And I would sell to Kingston and not have a worry in the world - and have, in fact.

Hold into the Barry.
Originally Posted by logger

And I would sell to Kingston and not have a worry in the world - and have, in fact.

Thanks Logger. My nephew loves that 7mm-08!
Originally Posted by BobBrown

NAILED IT!

Youā€™re a #TWATWAFFLE
I do a fair amount of wheeling and dealing on the Classifieds but if the other party is on my Ignore List they get, well, ignored. I do check out potential buyers & sellers Profiles & posts.
I've had some items take a wonky route to get here or there but that was the Post Office's fault. I guess I've been lucky.
So geedubya, did you ever get your problem resolved? I think I figured out who the seller was but I don't have any of those items to offer to you.

NAILED IT!

NAILED IT!

Yes they fugging do....

And their IP addy,s blocked also.

Rest of us might fight and squabble all the time.
But none of us are fugging scumball scamming theives.....
Originally Posted by renegade50

Yes they fugging do....

Remember how village residents used to get together and stone criminals / rapists / thieves?

That's what needs to be done. If Rick won't ban the scammers, then the populace should start by shunning them and calling them out every time they create another listing.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by renegade50

Yes they fugging do....

Remember how village residents used to get together and stone criminals / rapists / thieves?

That's what needs to be done. If Rick won't ban the scammers, then the populace should start by shunning them and calling them out every time they create another listing.

We try too it seems at times.
But the theives just carry on.

#0QCorconcernatthetopitseems.....
#tar&feather
Most guys I buy from send me the items before my payment gets to them. Good fellas on here!
I have only done a few exchanges on the forum here. So far I have not been disappointed. I know I am too trusting.
I'm on a computer Rocky Raab sent me on a free trial.

I used to post more outside of the classifieds......but what looks to be an interesting topic usually goes sideways in short order.

I don't have the time for all the BS. However, one can always find something in a garbage dump ...if you kick through enuff garbage.

Buying anything in the classifieds is a gamble . If one does not have the patience to do his due dilligance , and still have the mindset that you may get ripped off .........and deal with the loss.............just stay on the porch.

Oh,I'd sell to him too (same cell phone 'worry' as previously mentioned, but there's a bunch of guys here I'd include in that bracket because they're going to send schit smile ).

Oh,I'd sell to him too (same cell phone 'worry' as previously mentioned, but there's a bunch of guys here I'd include in that bracket because they're going to send schit smile ).

For the record, I send you far fewer BBC pics than I send Renegade50.
I have been on here for 18 years and have posted less in that amount of time then a lot of you guys post in a few months. I post mostly in the classifieds and sometimes here or in Africa and read the rest.

Thatā€™s how itā€™s always been for me. Knock on wood in that amount of time all of the transactions have been good on the classifieds. If something seems shady ask for there phone number and talk to them.
SB45 is correct. Once you cull out the crap on Hunters Campfire it's not a bad place to do business.

If you took the guys with 10,000 plus posts and eliminate the Hunters Campfire ones, they would be like the rest of us.

Amusing coming from a guy who never buys anything here !
Originally Posted by OnTheBeach

Even more amusing is a guy who's been banned dozens of times since I've been here talking smack about other members....
Originally Posted by goalie

Even more amusing is a guy who's been banned dozens of times since I've been here talking smack about other members....

What's even more a.using is that I've bought plenty here. I just generally do it via PM since I don't figure it's anyone else's business what I'm buying.
Those I've purchase from didn't seem to have a problem with it.
Bought and sold a good but here. Never been screwed or screwed anyone else. And i generally pm someone instead of doing business in the open forum. I think offers made openly are distasteful.I also dont feel the need to comment on every single post just to be involved. Hence my couple hundred posts

I sold him a rifle a while back and would deal with him again without hesitation.
not in 2021 you didn't
I've bought and sold on here a bit and have had no real problems, but I'm pretty careful who I deal with ... I mostly PM back and forth a few times if it isn't someone I know already to get a feel for their trustworthiness... the rhetoric they use and responses tell me if I'm comfortable carrying on with the deal or lose interest quickly. For the most part, I assume anyone who has been here for quite a while I can dig up some of their posts and get a feel for who they are to deal with. I also assume if they have friends here and have been here a while they probably won't risk damaging their reputation over a few bucks on a deal...

A buddy of mine is always up for a deal and I was trying to get him to check out some internet deals I found. I had done a few of the deals for him as he wasn't particularly computer literate, but I assumed it was time for him to take on the responsibility with his deals so I dropped it in his lap... he asked me to explain how to be sure you were safe with some of these deals so you don't get ripped off and I have to say I had a tough time explaining it to him.... not an easy thing to put into words and explain how to spend a bunch of money on an internet deal and feel safe with someone you will never see or meet face to face...

Bob
I am here mostly for the classified as there is far too much troll activity elsewhere.

Done business here 15 years w/o issues.

Nice guys and as described.

Most recently this primo 99 I just put an Alaskan on.

I am here mostly for the classified as there is far too much troll activity elsewhere.

This of course is another lie from Larwee. He has been banned repeatedly over those 15 years and keeps coming back under a different username. Heā€™s like a cockroach šŸŖ³ that you canā€™t get rid of.
not in 2021 you didn't

True, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Lmfao . . . . . . . .says the trollmaster.
And why does this ass wad feel the need to post pictures of the crap guns he claims to have on most every post he makes? I wouldn't walk across the street for any of those garbage guns he posts constantly. Wonder how much longer Rick is going to let this loser continue patting himself on the back here.
as with anything else, you pay your money, and take your chances. I have only done a few 'deals ' in the for sale forum, and all turned out well. I don't know of any real way to vet a seller though.
Originally Posted by Springcove

This of course is another lie from Larwee. He has been banned repeatedly over those 15 years and keeps coming back under a different username. Heā€™s like a cockroach šŸŖ³ that you canā€™t get rid of.

He's a lyin useless thief fugk. The more people that know that, the better.

Need an example? Look at the 2021 start date of his profile. And he says he's been here 15 years.

Phoney ass fat lyin thief fugk.
not in 2021 you didn't

259 posts. LMFAO.

15 years and how many handles?

Nice Chinese rifle rest.

LOL
© 24hourcampfire